Hydaelyn Role-Players
How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? (/showthread.php?tid=11129)

Pages: 1 2 3

How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Tiergan - 04-16-2015

For the most part, gladiators and marauders are just people with swords and axes. Most of their abilities can just be pinned down to sword/axe techniques.

But what about Flash (Blinding burst of light!) and Overpower (CONE OF FIRE!)? I know I've had Tiergan use it at least once before, but I felt a little weird about it because I couldn't sort out in my head how he actually does it.

Do you folks just ignore it because it's pretty much an aggro-grabbing game mechanic or do you feel like there's probably an explanation for it? (A wizard did it! Aether!)

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Warren Castille - 04-16-2015

Flash I ignore because what

Overpower I imagine is the action-sequence effect of driving your weapon into the ground and sending the earth up and making people fall over.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Gegenji - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 12:33 PM)Tiergan Wrote: Do you folks just ignore it because it's pretty much an aggro-grabbing game mechanic or do you feel like there's probably an explanation for it?  (A wizard did it! Aether!)

I've never really thought about it, never really had to RP out using either.

However, I could imagine a relatively feasible non-magical way for Flash to work - reflected light. You're distracting the enemy and drawing attention to yourself by using your sword/shield/axehead to shine light in people's faces. Works with the Blind effect too! Can't see with that sunlight in your eyes!

... Slightly less feasible in a darkened area, of course, but it's something! Not to mention that Paladins are supposed to have access to some Conjury, so maybe it's something involving that? Or maybe just a flash of aether. Plenty of ways to go about it.

Overpower, I'd think, is just a great display of physical prowess - ripping up the ground with your axe and flinging it at the enemy to let them know "OH CRAP, WE GOTTA STOP THAT GUY FIRST." Part physical violence, part intimidation. Very MRD/WAR-esque.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Hammersmith - 04-16-2015

I don't equate in game abilities to actual character abilities.

The game's a framework, but there's a lot of flash involved that isn't either feasible/desirable in some concepts.

Hammer's very rough and tumble but down to earth so, when getting physical, it's all practical and efficient.  MRD's don't have a kidney punch but be assured if you get into an in-fight with Hammer you're going to be pissing blood afterwards. But he's not going to break the basic laws of how swings/physical combat works. Ground pounding is asking to get punished in a fight. Unless you're the hulk (I would love to be the Hulk)

In short: I don't, but YRoC will vary.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Seye Qhesu - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 12:36 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Flash I ignore because what

Overpower I imagine is the action-sequence effect of driving your weapon into the ground and sending the earth up and making people fall over.
I saw a gladiator rp flash as a sudden burst of aether being released from their body.  Can't say of it was good or not so center in my mind I yelled solar flare. Was giggling too much.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Zelmanov - 04-16-2015

flash? AETHER! it literally costs MP, its a form of magick.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Caspar - 04-16-2015

Overpower is, depending on how realistic you're going for, either swinging so freaking hard you unleash a little wave of sharp air in front of you cutting all kinds of stuff animu style, or it's just a big, long reaching, frontal sweep with the axe, and the cone is way bigger than it would be irl for gameplay purposes.

I like the idea of Flash being someone using their weapon to reflect light, but I figure it doesn't need to be that, necessarily.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - ProvaDiServo - 04-16-2015

I've used flash as a jar of chems when thrown or disturbed with enough force causes a small concussive blast that emits a blinding light.

But not everyone may be as receptive to that idea XD.

Other situational events may include using sunlight to flash off your weapon ito glare into the enemy's eyes.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Tiergan - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 12:41 PM)Brianna Dunham Wrote:
(04-16-2015, 12:36 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Flash I ignore because what

I saw a gladiator rp flash as a sudden burst of aether being released from their body.  Can't say of it was good or not so center in my mind I yelled solar flare. Was giggling too much.

Oh god. I will never not be able to think that now every time I use flash in a dungeon. :V

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - McBeefâ„¢ - 04-16-2015

My old pld char used flash all the time.

In dark areas it was useful for suprising and blinding people.

Nothing much to explain, bit of aether goes into the hand and bursts into blinding light. Sometimes gets people's attention, but that is up for the other person to decide.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Kurt S. - 04-16-2015

I really just chalk overpower up to a bit of aether and bit of your strength. The shockwave from the swing pretty much sends a message to anyone caught in the blast. Something along the lines of....

"I can do this to the ground. I can do this to you too. Better get rid of me first eh? I am this powerful, scrub."

The whole cone of fire that comes with the shockwave after that meaty swing. I chalk it up to the discharge of excess aether that allowed your godlike attack...on the ground in the first place. Which probably reinforces the above idea.

Why is aether in here?  Well we're in eorzea which is supposedly so saturated with it that everyone's probably unwittingly utilizing it regardless of whether or not they intend to.

Of course I could be severely wrong.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Nebbs - 04-16-2015

Just saying...
  • Flash - that essential body odour release from wearing all that heavy armour, and a special move that wafts it out
  • Overpower - spontaneous ignition of flatulence from too much high octane food

Later in the tavern... Brutus looks up from his empty bowl that could feed a family, "Another helping of that reduced to clear spiced dodo stew, and maybe I'll skip bathing again this month." the tavern dog retreats outside for some fresh air.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Gegenji - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 12:41 PM)Brianna Dunham Wrote: I yelled solar flare.

... Need to do this at some point now.

Just, like, be fighting some huge Roe dude at the Grindstone. Bearing down, Chachan has little or no time to react. And suddenly!

[Image: tumblr_lgdg20XWE61qgfevpo1_400.gif]

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Aya - 04-16-2015

That guy just flashed super bright!  LETS ALL GET HIM!!!

As it is, threat (and aggro) make little sense as real life mechanics.  I don't think it would survive too much thought about it...

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Caspar - 04-16-2015

Oh, you could also be a badass who douses himself and his axe in burning oil for Overpower. But then there's the problem of how you put yourself out so quickly...