Hydaelyn Role-Players
How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? (/showthread.php?tid=11129)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Tiergan - 04-16-2015

Haha, well - I meant more "how does the bright flashy thing" happen as opposed to how it suddenly makes every enemy in the surrounding area instantaneously upset with you while not doing the same with your friends.

Aether in the hand makes sense to me. I suppose that means characters who can't control aether worth a lick might not be able to do it. I've RPing Tiergan as 'just a gladiator' with no real talent with aether -- though I've been getting tempted to have him trot on over to the Sultansworn for free paladin training.

I'd have to peg him as 'not-totally-incompetent-with-aether' if I do that.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - FreelanceWizard - 04-16-2015

When I've had L'yhta throw out Flash IC, I always spin it as a magical trick that grabs the attention of and infuriates her opponents, taking advantage of the wild nature of combat to play on emotions.

Also, she usually combines it with an insult ICly. Smile

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Kyrrae L'minia - 04-16-2015

I think the way Warren described Overpower is the most logical way to go with it.

I'm confused over folks confusion/dismissal of flash though. Paladins aren't gladiators, they're Paladins. They use magic, but as a tool, not as a main damage type. If you look at the actual attack, Flash is an aether flash-grenade. You gather aether into a small space, then it released in a bright burst of light. Completely harmless as a damaging attack, but if the other person has their eyes open, they're going to be temporarily blinded for a very short time.

Not that someone cannot rp a PLD that doesn't use magick, but think of the in-game job requirement as a guide to how it would be in-game. The Sultansworn wouldn't be  hyped about teaching someone their specialized techniques who can't handle very basic conjury. Because that's all a Paladin does, *very* basic conjury.

Big Grin

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Bryn - 04-16-2015

I've used Flash in RP before. Admittedly I may have an easier time of making it IC, as Bryn is also a conjurer and so has some minor aetherial talent.

I RP it as a aether manifested as bright, searing light, as other have said. My reasoning for the enmity side of things is that Flash is so bright that it causes such intense pain to look at, and that really pisses the enemy off. Also, if the other team has a guy who can blind you without even touching you, you probably want to take him down quickish.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - McBeefâ„¢ - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 12:57 PM)Tiergan Wrote: Haha, well - I meant more "how does the bright flashy thing" happen as opposed to how it suddenly makes every enemy in the surrounding area instantaneously upset with you while not doing the same with your friends.

Aether in the hand makes sense to me. I suppose that means characters who can't control aether worth a lick might not be able to do it. I've RPing Tiergan as 'just a gladiator' with no real talent with aether -- though I've been getting tempted to have him trot on over to the Sultansworn for free paladin training.

I'd have to peg him as 'not-totally-incompetent-with-aether' if I do that.

I view it as something of tool of a necessity. If you're a gladiator, you probably don't have much ability with aether.

Not enough to heal someone, to hurt them, to slow them, etc.

However if you use it just right... *flash*

It's the perfect sort of dirty trick a Gladiator would use, the aetherial equivalent of throwing sand in someone's eyes.

As for the aggro, think of it like this. A team kicks down the door of the smokey tavern, rushes in. While the enemy is still trying to figure out what happens, the lead person hold out his hand, and everyone who was looking is suddenly blinking the tears from their eyes and trying to see.

"That mother fucker" they think, "He's dead."

Now not everyone might attack that guy, but it would certainly make an impression, and people would notice him more than his compatriots dashing to the sides and fanning out around the room.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Edgar - 04-16-2015

Koporo holds his shield at just the right angle so that it catches the sun and ends up right in his foe's eyes. Depending on the angle, he can get entire groups. Sometimes I have him embed a reflecting jewel or prism into the face of the shield that normally looks nothing more than ornate, only to end up blinding everyone if it catches the light.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Khadan - 04-16-2015

I've used it as a tool in RP combat situations pretty much the same way a special forces team would use a flashbang grenade. Let's not forget the *BANG* sound at the end of the animation. As a bounty hunter this has been particularly useful to him in the past, especially if he needed to bring his quarry home alive or was outnumbered etc.

To that effect, if Kayllen is facing off against a foe or group of foes especially, it definitely behooves him as someone who doesn't necessarily need to see or hear his opponents to know where they are when they're close to him but even if he did, to rob his opponent(s) of their ability to see and hear. Since most actual 'fights' last anywhere from three-to-ten seconds, that's a pretty significant time to give someone who knows what they're about an advantage over someone else who relies on not only eyesight but hearing to function.

It costs mana so I assume like so many things in the FF14 world, it's just an expression of Aether which everyone but Garleans seem able to use in some form or another. Being of particularly low level if you want to even look at it like that, it could likely be translated as a pretty simple and cheap/dirty trick to use to give yourself an advantage. 

As for the 'enmity' effect... well there are mobs in the game that don't care about enmity and just do whatever they want. I assume players are the same. Some might care about the guy dropping flashbangs and want to stop him from doing that, others might just not care. I don't really care about 'enmity' in RP, as there are better ways to ensure people attack you over others with just tactics and such.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Coatleque - 04-16-2015

As a five-breasted succubi with numerous spawn, Crofte finds Flash to be most effective before combat.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Khadan - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 01:20 PM)Coatleque Wrote: As a five-breasted succubi with numerous spawn, Crofte finds Flash to be most effective before combat.

You left out the futa dominatrix bit.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Roen - 04-16-2015

I've used Flash in IC situations, only as a bright flash of manifested aether meant to blind/distract for a few seconds. I don't use the enmity effect of Flash at all IC.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Fox - 04-16-2015

[Image: tumblr_mumny1756n1s2s2dbo1_400.gif]
Totally like anchor howl. Wink
Actually, if it were used.... mmm I'd have to agree with several others of it being a burst of energy/aether.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Tiergan - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 01:04 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: I view it as something of tool of a necessity. If you're a gladiator, you probably don't have much ability with aether.

Not enough to heal someone, to hurt them, to slow them, etc.

However if you use it just right... *flash*

It's the perfect sort of dirty trick a Gladiator would use, the aetherial equivalent of throwing sand in someone's eyes.

I like this and will probably run with it as the explanation for my character. o/ I kind of liked Tiergan being the aether-dumb guy while Lurial was the one between the two of them who really knows how to handle it to a certain extent.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Erik Mynhier - 04-16-2015

Aether, charge aether from the hand, through the handle and blade to the tip where it is released as a flash of blinding light. The ic effect is similar to a flash grenade. Used ic for a quick escape. The drawing arggo thing is more a mechanic and also doesnt fit, trust me, being hit with a flash grenade does not make you ignore others and attack one person, but it does give BLIND status lol.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Harmonixer - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 01:36 PM)Foxberry Wrote: [Image: tumblr_mumny1756n1s2s2dbo1_400.gif]
Totally like anchor howl. Wink
Actually, if it were used.... mmm I'd have to agree with several others of it being a burst of energy/aether.

Anchor Howl and Castle of Stone was it? Eitherway, I was quite fond of that shows representation of tanks. Really badass.

I always assumed that Flash was an aether based radial blind using the weapon as a catalyst. Overpower, I hadn't ever considered for some reason.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Raccoon - 04-16-2015

I consider internal aether/chakra to be used regardless of a person's will, even if you don't have a talent for it or have enough of it to cast spells. All of your flashy attacks? Aether.

As for Flash, it could be an unconscious trigger of the flight or fight response, affecting those around you on an instinctive level through a sudden burst of aether that resonates with their own. And since you're using it against enemies, it triggers the fight side of it; in a city, you could RP using it to trigger the flight side of it in ordinary civilians. In anime terms, it could be the same as being able to sense or emanate bloodlust/killing intent. All the GLA/PLDs out there just consider it a special technique and don't try to reason out the underlying factors.