Hydaelyn Role-Players
How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? (/showthread.php?tid=11129)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Fox - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 02:22 PM)Harmonixer Wrote:
(04-16-2015, 01:36 PM)Foxberry Wrote: <snip>
Totally like anchor howl. Wink

Anchor Howl and Castle of Stone was it? Eitherway, I was quite fond of that shows representation of tanks. Really badass.

I always assumed that Flash was an aether based radial blind using the weapon as a catalyst. Overpower, I hadn't ever considered for some reason.

Indeed. Anchor Howl and Castle of Stone were often used by their tanks. One as the hate generator, the other sort of like stone skin in my thoughts, a defensive strategy.

I always considered Flash as an aether based radial blind as well.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - K'nahli - 04-16-2015

[Image: 3938470-0681597957-tumbl.jpg]

+85 aggro

Were I to RP combat, I wouldn't reference in-game skills. I'd just explain exactly what I had in mind, totally of my own creation. I mean it's fine if you want to reference something because you like it but I wouldn't actually use them as though they are the actual techniques your instructors would have taught you, haha.

That said, they both imply aether-enhanced attacks, something of which none of my current characters actually utilize.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - Flickering Ember - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 12:45 PM)Caspar Wrote: I like the idea of Flash being someone using their weapon to reflect light, but I figure it doesn't need to be that, necessarily.
Lol. I like this idea. Or! Paladin armor is so shiny that they can just blind people with their armor at will.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - TheFanciestBard - 04-16-2015

As stated previously I typically think it's best to RP it as a burst of aetherial energy. You don't have to be a mage to use aether (Such as how Monks use 'chakra') and the animation rather heavily implies that it's just that. I can see how people would prefer to RP it as shining light in people's eyes, but I think the most consistent version would be a burst of light since in the grand scheme of things it's a parlor trick and unless you're like 100% aetherically inept it's plausible for even a common swordfighter.

I think Overpower is in a similar boat. Some classes use aether in ways they don't expect, so while warriors aren't known for being aether users, this one could be similar to the chakra business in monks. They're trained to focus their will into an intensely powerful swing which is more or less the means to have a burst of aetherial energy issue forth from the head or point of impact. That's how I would RP it if I was going to, same with Tomahawk as being written off as my character channeling a large amount of focus into the head of the axe before swinging it towards the target.

I just keep it simple and ignore some abilities that don't suit my character in a roleplay sense, although currently that number is basically just two with tomahawk and overpower. If you RP the ability to use aetherytes then I don't think stuff like this is a far stretch even for the most magically inept characters. That is, of course, if they were taught such a thing, but given that Flash is the subject of a quest for gladiators it doesn't seem far fetched that it's a common and very useful ability.

RE: How do you RP out GLD/Flash and MRD/Overpower? - K'nahli - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 12:45 PM)Caspar Wrote: I like the idea of Flash being someone using their weapon to reflect light, but I figure it doesn't need to be that, necessarily.

Hahaha, what?  I can just see someone struggling to get their sword at the right angle, holding out out in front of them with one eye closed and failing to get the direction of the beam right.

"JUST WAIT... I'm trying to do something clever..."