Hydaelyn Role-Players
Let's talk about Valve new addiction to the Workshop - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Let's talk about Valve new addiction to the Workshop (/showthread.php?tid=11258)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Let's talk about Valve new addiction to the Workshop - Desu Nee - 04-23-2015

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent/

I really feel this isn't really a Valve community, cause well, obviously, but I need someplace to vent and I have no friends. No amount of aspirines and bullets can quell the pain of my exist-

GETTING SIDEWAYS.

Honestly, I find this absolutely bollocks. I normally don't do big long posts because I really prefer to have short, easier to understand opinions, but honestly, this is Greenlight all over again. Modders aren't developers, some of them most times just takes textures already in the game and make over, and I say as a amateur modder. My mods are crap.
Not only that, but people will just throw garbage at the Workshop wanting to get paid and dissapear. The bundle of mods is as of now more expensive than the game itself and that's honestly an absurd.

Lastly, mods are a reflection of the passion of the community of the game, and this way you are just forcing people, and modders will just do out of profit instead of passion. It's honestly very concerning how many industries are pushing absurd things, and how they're becoming the rule nowadays.

[Image: gXNvLY6.jpg]

[Image: HP895s6.jpg]

Now, with the vent out of the way, I will return to try to find a way to ease my suffering...of dealing with Daily Roulettes Randoms.

RE: Valve now makes you pay for mods - Coatleque - 04-23-2015

Luckily, mods are not available exclusively through steam. You can find much better mods (and software to management), typically, through other sites such as nexusmods.

The best way to fight it is to simply not use Steam for mod management.

RE: Valve now makes you pay for mods - Domri Blackblade - 04-23-2015

... Why would I pay for (unfinished) animated fishing?

Wat? (This is like the Sims 3 nonsense all over again.)

There are much better places to get skyrim mods anyway, like the Nexus and independent modders. I've never used the workshop for it. Usually just scour blogs and whatnot for their download lists.

RE: Valve now makes you pay for mods - Desu Nee - 04-23-2015

Another point I forgot to made is the fact that popular mods, like iNeed and Wet and Cold have been updated only on Steam, where they're paid. The pattern of modders migrating to steam so they can set price on their mods is disturbing.

All of this could be better if they just set a fucking donate button.

RE: Valve now makes you pay for mods - Melkire - 04-23-2015

If they can find a way to charge you for it, they will do so. Water, for instance, is not free. The only reason air-to-breathe is free is because no one can keep you from doing so. No one has figured out how to restrict and limit access.

People have been decrying digital media as a method for distribution for a long, long time now when it comes to video games. Steam was an early point of contention. DRM ring a bell? I'm sure plenty of us remember the days of CD Keys.

Hell, I remember folks pirating Doom (1993) left, right, and center. So many illegal copies on floppies, you have no idea.

tl;dr: Speak with your wallet. Don't support what you feel shouldn't be supported.

RE: Valve now makes you pay for mods - allgivenover - 04-23-2015

I don't really see a problem with this, it's basically becoming third party DLC.

Mods are tough to make, they deserve it.

EDIT: Also, it doesn't look like anything Valve is making you do, it looks like something the individual developers are setting up, Valve is just facilitating it.

Admittedly, I used Workshop more because the mods updated automatically. I don't even play Skyrim much these days, FFXIV filled my medieval-tech niche. I hope to god this shit dies before Fallout 4.

The idea of pirating mods is hilarious, tho.

RE: Valve now makes you pay for mods - Coatleque - 04-23-2015

(04-23-2015, 04:25 PM)Desu Nee Wrote: ... I forgot to made is the fact that popular mods, like iNeed and Wet and Cold have been updated only on Steam, where they're paid. The pattern of modders migrating to steam so they can set price on their mods is disturbing.

Then at least in my case, they will be sorely disappointed. The only "mods" I will ever pay for are released by the developer and had better include a hell of a lot of content (Like Hearthfire, if we're using Skyrim as the example)

(04-23-2015, 04:27 PM)allgivenover Wrote: I don't really see a problem with this, it's basically becoming third party DLC.

For many mods, I understand. I donated to that one which is basically an expansion, Faarsomething.

But I'm not paying for a single new weapon. Or a re-skin. Or a half assed mod.

RE: Valve now makes you pay for mods - allgivenover - 04-23-2015

Then don't.

RE: Valve now makes you pay for mods - Warren Castille - 04-23-2015

(04-23-2015, 04:27 PM)allgivenover Wrote: I don't really see a problem with this, it's basically becoming third party DLC.

EDIT: Also, it doesn't look like anything Valve is making you do, it looks like something the individual developers are setting up, Valve is just facilitating it.

That's the interpretation I got. People who make mods probably got offered stacks of dosh to license/develop them for cost.

RE: Valve now makes you pay for mods - Domri Blackblade - 04-23-2015

(04-23-2015, 04:27 PM)Desu Nee Wrote: Admittedly, I used Workshop more because the mods updated automatically. I don't even play Skyrim much these days, FFXIV filled my medieval-tech niche. I hope to god this shit dies before Fallout 4.

The idea of pirating mods is hilarious, tho.

It's actually a very big thing on Sims 3 since it is against the TOS to sell 3rd party mods. But people do it anyway. (Thesimsresource.) So there is actually a very large site that just offers that stuff for free.

The pay what you want never goes to free, but ok.

RE: Valve now makes you pay for mods - Harmonixer - 04-23-2015

Even as a modder myself, I don't have much good things to say on the subject.

Really it comes down to me going 'Well, I suppose.'

I know for certain that people who want to support good work will find ways to do it. This somehow 'spoils' the way it's worked for so long. I understand the intent is good, but the execution makes sort of go:

'Eh.'

I wish everyone the very best, but as stated earlier. Pay for what you want to support and lucky for us, there are plenty of people who want to be part of the community for little reward other than the virtue of being able to even do it in the first place.

I think some people deserve praise for what they do, but the thought to do something to gain something doesn't seem to sit well in my mind.

All the best to them, truly.

In retrospect, my chosen title of the thread was bad. Really bad. Kneejerk reaction is awful.
I'm not good at making arguments, and I agree with a lot of points here, some modders do deserve to be rewarded with their results, and I donated to many modders pages and patreons, but this idea only works well on Paper. One just needs to see the Greenlight Page, and Early Access to know that this method just makes it harder to find good mods, because everyone will want a slice of the pie, and the drive for making mods will not only be just for the game, but for profit.