Hydaelyn Role-Players
How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') (/showthread.php?tid=11487)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Gegenji - 05-08-2015

(05-07-2015, 02:56 PM)Gegenji Wrote: This seems to be because the standard fallback response to a potential RP situation (that your character might never even come across) is not to ignore it or offer constructive criticism but to argue about it.

Being a mite egotistical and quoting myself here after that back and forth, mostly because it's quite frustrating to describe something like this and then see something quite close too it happen in the same thread. It wasn't full on "you can't play that" versus "I can do whatever I want" like I rambled on about, but it was dang close.

The WHM is a touchy subject because of things that have been mentioned already - as it stands, according to the lore, the only WHMs present in the game are the Padjal and the Derplander/Warrior of Light. The latter gaining this exclusive acclaim due to being chosen by the soulstone of A-Towa-Cant.

Does this mean you can't play a WHM ever, ever, ever? No. Even if there wasn't talk of allowing a new way to access Succor (that we know very little about!), there are ways to work around it! Taught by a Padjal who spoke to the Elementals on your behalf, discovering the soulstone/teachings left by a Padjal or an ancient War of the Magi White Mage, being a Padjal yourself or descended from one/its family, and just being pure enough of heart that the Elementals decide to make a rare exception in your case as a few examples.

All of these are ideas that are neither blatantly 100% confirmed nor denied as being possible in the lore. Note "possible" - as things that could happen as opposed to what did happen. However, this is still playing with that nebulous grey area and bending the lore. Some to a greater degree than the other. Bending that other RPers might not be comfortable dealing with  in their fairy tale Final Fantasy storytimes and that is okay!

It becomes not okay when they try to police you and tell you what you can or can not play. It is not policing when they say that it is something they would likely not want to RP with. They are under no obligations to RP with you (no matter what character or concept!) just as much as you are in no obligation to RP with them.

Let's compare this to a more generic style of roleplay, using just a basic pen-and-paper as the format. Some players want to spin exciting stories of great heroism, some like to game the system and make their characters rich by being crafty, and yet others just want to roll dice and watch as their hulking slab of meat suplexes that dragon. Some want to play an elf from a nation mentioned in one of the books. some want to make up their own town that their halfling hails from, and yet another wants to play an ogre. None of these approaches are wrong!

So, what if the Ogre-player wants to join a game? He could find a group that's playing monstrous characters, where such a thing is commonplace. He could find a group that is leery about allowing the ogre in their generally non-monstrous party, but willing to give him a chance. Or he might come across a group that isn't allowing monstrous races at all. In that last case, the player has an option to relent (play a different race), try to seek a middle ground (maybe play a half-ogre or half-orc instead!), or seek another group to play with.

What shouldn't be done is the group yelling at the player that he can't play an ogre since they're not listed as a playable race in the Player's Guide. And just as equally it is not fair for the player to raise a stink and demand that the rest of the table conform to using his monstrous character in their non-monstrous game.

What people need to keep in mind is - when someone doesn't want to play with your character, that it does not immediately mean "your character is bad and you should feel bad." That character just might not be a good fit for the story they are weaving.

In the case of the WHM, perhaps the other player's "headcanon" in the tale they're weaving is that White Magic really is only in the hands of the Padjal, the illustrious chosen few appointed by the elementals. They are free to play that, just as you are free to play as a WHM from a different angle! However, they are not obliged to accept your WHM just as much as your WHM isn't obliged to accept that Miqo'te Dragoon; or that Lalafell who just bodychecked a Roegadyn ten times his size; or Magitek-cyborg Abraham Lincoln.

And guess what? That's okay! As mentioned, there are hundreds of other RPers out there. And somewhere out there is someone who will play with your WHM or your ogre or your Magitek-cyborg Abraham Lincoln! Somewhere out there are people who will cling to the lore just as closely or loosely as you do. Your energy is better spent finding and playing with them than trying to force others to conform to your play style.

Someone doesn't want to play with your WHM? Go find someone who will.

Someone doesn't want to stick to a presented lore bit where all Domans are black-haired Hyur? Go find someone who will.

Or if, for whatever reason, you absolutely need to play with that particular player, be willing to compromise some! Hopefully they will too!

"Could your character just assume my character THINKS he's a WHM but he's just a strong (if delusional) CNJ?"

"Well, nothing in the lore says that someone can't be three Qirin in a trenchcoat. Just be wary that my character is very by the books and will react accordingly to a Beast Tribe trio in the middle of the city!"

But ultimately, do you really need to play with that person? Or convince them you're right about how you play the game and they're wrong? What do you get out of it beyond frustration and a grandiose expenditure of time and energy? Time and energy that could be better spent finding that Primal George Washington who wants to hang out with your Magitek Abraham Lincoln.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - ArmachiA - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 08:43 AM)Nelson Herrmann Wrote: I  like where this thread  is going,  although I  have a  question.   What about scholars?  Do they even exist  anymore?  Is it possible for people to  just  pick it up and  study on it?  I'd  like to delve deeper into  their  lore.  I'd  appreciate  an explanation,  or a link of some sort!

Technically all you have to do to be a Scholar is find a tablet of Nym and/or crystal with a fairy in it. Make it plausible and not too many people will freak out about.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Nelson Herrmann - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 08:54 AM)ArmachiA Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 08:43 AM)Nelson Herrmann Wrote: I  like where this thread  is going,  although I  have a  question.   What about scholars?  Do they even exist  anymore?  Is it possible for people to  just  pick it up and  study on it?  I'd  like to delve deeper into  their  lore.  I'd  appreciate  an explanation,  or a link of some sort!

Technically all you have to do to be a Scholar is find a tablet of Nym and/or crystal with a fairy in it. Make it plausible and not too many people will freak out about.

Are those things  hard to  find?  And  how do  people  learn  to control their fairies?

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Warren Castille - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 10:18 AM)Nelson Herrmann Wrote:

Are those things  hard to  find?  And  how do  people  learn  to control their fairies?

They exist, but you need to be digging in the right places. The class quests should give you an idea when you reach them. Controlling the faerie is going to be a personal challenge; It's like asking how people train their pets. Not everyone finds it to work the same way, and faeries can have their own personalities, too.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Nelson Herrmann - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 10:20 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 10:18 AM)Nelson Herrmann Wrote:

They exist, but you need to be digging in the right places. The class quests should give you an idea when you reach them. Controlling the faerie is going to be a personal challenge; It's like asking how people train their pets. Not everyone finds it to work the same way, and faeries can have their own personalities, too.

That's  so  interesting!  I'll  try and  make myself an  alt  after  making some research.  Sounds  like a  funny  concept.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Harmonixer - 05-08-2015

This is rather distant from the OP (Sorry about that!) but is it possible to RP as an actual WAR? Warren made a post detailing other Jobs pretty clearly, but I don't recall seeing anything about them that was specific.

Was just curious, really.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Warren Castille - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 11:12 AM)Harmonixer Wrote: This is rather distant from the OP (Sorry about that!) but is it possible to RP as an actual WAR? Warren made a post detailing other Jobs pretty clearly, but I don't recall seeing anything about them that was specific.

Curious George is making a dedicated effort to revitalize the ways of the Warrior, so yes. Doesn't have to come from him, but someone he taught can presumably teach someone else. Beyond that, there's stories and legends. No reason why someone couldn't go digging and uncover it themselves.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Harmonixer - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 11:14 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 11:12 AM)Harmonixer Wrote: This is rather distant from the OP (Sorry about that!) but is it possible to RP as an actual WAR? Warren made a post detailing other Jobs pretty clearly, but I don't recall seeing anything about them that was specific.

Curious George is making a dedicated effort to revitalize the ways of the Warrior, so yes. Doesn't have to come from him, but someone he taught can presumably teach someone else. Beyond that, there's stories and legends. No reason why someone couldn't go digging and uncover it themselves.

Huh, sweet. You can teach people to get MAD AS FUCK and it's okay? I LIKE IT. Thanks!

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Hammersmith - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 11:19 AM)Harmonixer Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 11:14 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:

Huh, sweet. You can teach people to get MAD AS FUCK and it's okay? I LIKE IT. Thanks!

The entire questline for War is showing how various react to learning to PROPERLY be mad as fuck.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - SunTzu7 - 05-08-2015

I RP Eos as her own entity, which fits because it would be against Newton's character to impose her will on someone. Of course, this can backfire, since Eos can sometimes decide 'Your plan is bad and you should feel bad' and sabotage it, which can lead to Newton suffering.
In actual game though, Eos is on Obey. Forever. You stop bringing a dozen enemies on my head by spamming Whispering Dawn at the start of the pull, and I'll let you have your sodding free will.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Kage - 05-08-2015

Re: Jobs lore
I once made this thread here. Parts of it are in correct or out-dated (Warriors of Light, Lore Panel).
I like this post most of all.
(09-24-2014, 12:07 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: WHY YOU MAKE ME WORK SO HARRRDDDD??

....not all classes and jobs are "effectively the same." Actually very few of them are as far as lore is concerned. With that in mind, let's head into class vs job lore.

To start out, the term "classes" refers to Eorzean specific professions that are commonly used in Eorzea today. "Jobs" on the other hand, (with a few notable exceptions) refers to legendary disciplines of times past. Times past might be 100 years in the case of some, it might be 5000 years in the case of others. However, all of these jobs have made a recent comeback in the 7th Umbral Era. Without further ado:

Gladiator - Refers to a Coliseum-hired fighter. These people make their living by fighting on the Bloodsands for profit, glory, or to free themselves from bondage. Though the Coliseum is known for teaching the way of the sword, not all Gladiators use a sword. A Gladiator can use any weapon.

Circa the year 1562 6AE, the Bloodsands played host to a tournament that would change the fate of the Gladiator's Guild forever. Two friends, Ul'dah's champion, Greinfarr the Great (referred to in 2.0 as The Bronze Bull) and J'moldva the Hellfire Phoenix, champion for the Ala Mhigan refugees seeking asylum within Ul'dah, fought the greatest duel in Coliseum history. Both champions were formerly undefeated by any adversary, and the amount of gil waged on the outcome of the fight was said to be greater than all the gold in the Sultana's coffers. But as the match went on, the crowd was whipped into a violent frenzy. A riot broke out, putting both gladiator and bystander in danger. But just as things were about to go from bad to worse, the two gladiators struck each other down, causing an abrupt end to the violence for fear of who would be the victor. Finally, Greinfarr the Great stood and claimed glory for Ul'dah, in order to save it from being torn apart.

Since that day, the Coliseum has never seen the same popularity. So it was that it fell into decline and in order to drum up interest, the Coliseum started importing vicious beasts from Ishgard and other foreign lands for the Gladiators to fight.

Paladin - Refers to members of the Royal Guard of the Sultanate. Formed roughly 800 years ago by Jhal Tristam and two other knights, the Sultansworn have protected the throne against all threats. In recent years, to combat the growing threat of the Monetarists' corruption, the Sultansworn have begun teaching their 800-year art to adventurers who swear their allegiance not to the Sultana, but to the Paladin's Oath. These new Paladins are referred to as "Free Paladins."

Marauder - This term refers to axe-wielders, the famed weapon of pirates in FFXIV lore. Similar to how we see eye-patch/peg-leg = pirate, Eorzeans see axe and think pirate. However, not all marauders are pirates, just as not all people with peg-legs are pirates. Marauders make up a large portion of Limsa Lominsa's navy, and many other marauders go on to do mercenary work abroad.

Warrior - Refers to the old art of unlocking the Inner Beast within us all and embracing and harnessing its power. Warriors were once common throughout Eorzea, however, the art fell into disuse after The Autumn War 100 years ago due to a lack of necessity for the art. Now it is believed to only reside within a few villages nestled in the Hellsguardian homeland, Abalathia's Spine. It is said that Warriors of old would attempt to wrestle bears to the ground in order to tame them.

Lancer - Refers to one who wields polearms. While the Wailing Barracks is known Eorzea-wide for being home to some of the world's greatest lancers, it is not the only place where lancers are common, nor is it the origin of the art. Ala Mhigo, before its fall in 1557 6AE, actually boasted the greatest lancer legions the world had ever seen. A force which, during the Autumn War, was able to battle the combined forces of Gridania, Ishgard, Ul'dah, and Limsa Lominsa effectively.

Ishgard is also well known for their history with the lance. Their patron deity, Halone, is represented by three spears. The lance is said to be the traditional weapon of the Templars as well as the famed weapon of Ishgard's champions, The Azure Dragoons.

Dragoon - Refers to "The Azure Dragoon," the champion of Ishgard. One Azure Dragoon is chosen by Nidhogg's Eye every generation for the last 1000 years. This person is subjected to the full might of the Dragon King's magic, for it is their destiny to once and for all vanquish Nidhogg and lead Ishgard against the Dravanian Horde. Once the Azure Dragoon is chosen, a ceremonial and functional weapon called the Gae Bolg is crafted using dragon bone. A special set of Drachen Mail is imbued with magic-dampening powers and given to the Dragoon just so that they might feel some reprieve from Nidhogg's influence and won't be driven to madness by dragon magic.

This person is not to be confused with an Ishgardian "Dragoon," who is a Knight of Ishgard that proves to the Holy See that they have slain a dragon. This title can be bestowed upon any Knight or Templar and matters not whether they use a spear or sword. Any Player Character can kill a dragon and call themselves a Dragoon, however, you are not officially a Dragoon unless you are Ishgardian. Likewise, you can do what the Player Character does in the DRG Storyline and GRAVEROB THE TOMBS OF DEAD AZURE DRAGOONS and steal their armor and weapon and call yourself a "Dragoon." However, the Holy See of Ishgard does not even recognize the MSQ Player Character as the Azure Dragoon despite being chosen by Nidhogg's Eye because we are not Ishgardian. Go back to Ser Alberic in Coerthas and talk to him. It's quite interesting. He states that never in all Ishgardian history has the Holy See been without an Azure Dragoon to lead them.

Pugilist - Refers to the debt collectors of the Platinum Mirage. The Platinum Mirage is a Vegas-styled exclusive club for only the most elite of Ul'dahn elite. Like Vegas, if you can't pay your due or you try to cheat the Mirage out of money, the Pugilists will sort you out. Giving rise to their motto: "A closed fist drops no gil."

Monk - Refers to those members of the former Order of the Fists of Rhalgr. This Order trained both mind and body in an effort to achieve greatness in the eyes of the Destroyer. However, as their religious and political influence grew greater and greater in Ala Mhigo, the then King of Ala Mhigo, Theodoric, now known as the King of Ruin, began to fear the Fists of Rhalgr, so 1552 6AE, he ordered his lancer legions to surround the Temple of Rhalgr and they slaughtered all within and burned the temple to the ground. Men, women, and children fell to the King of Ruin's madness. Though this secured Theodoric's hold on power, it sewed the seeds for civil unrest throughout Ala Mhigo, eventually resulting in the fall of the city-state to the Garlean Empire.

Archer - Refers to bow users. These are common enough all over the world. There is, however, a racial distinction made between Elezen archers and Miqo'te archers. Elezen archers are masters of the Longbow, while Miqo'te archers are masters of the Shortbow. Those rangers of the Gods' Quiver are noted as the best in the Shroud, if not the world.

Bard - Refers specifically to archers of old who used music to inspire and invigorate their fellow soldiers on the battlefield. The practice fell into disuse roughly 100 years ago during the Autumn War. Since that time, Bards have used their gift more within taverns than on the battlefield.

One Bard of note, Gilbert the Godsbow was said to have slain seven Ixali chieftans with a single arrow. Because his love of song was well known, a unique bow harp was crafted for him and he was bestowed the title "Godsbow." Gilbert's Artemis Bow was on display within the Archers' Guild until it was stolen in an Ixali raid on Gridania.

Thaumaturge - Refers to those practitioners of the Order of Nald'thal. Thaumaturges trace their routes back nearly 3000 years ago to the original Magi of the 5th Astral Era. Modern day Thaumaturges are deeply invested in the study of Life and Death and the cycle of aether in between the two. This duality persists through all Ul'dahn culture and because of this, the Order acts as the religious and political center of Ul'dah. Thaumaturges are the city-state's morticians as well as their lawmakers.

Black Mage - Refers to practitioners of Forbidden Magic. In the early years of the 5th Astral Era, an ambitious Magi named Shatotto wished to harness unlimited power, however her own aether was too limited. So she devised a technique to drain the aether of the land around her instead of her own aether. This technique was coined "Black Magic." As its use spread, so too did the destruction it wrought, eventually draining the world of its aether during the War of the Magi at the end of the 5th Astral Era, ushering in the 6th Umbral Era. Because of this, the technique was forgotten to most in the nearly 1600 years since, and forbidden to all those who did still recall its power.

Conjurer - Refers to persons with the ability to commune and manipulate the aether in Nature. 500 years ago, in the time of Gelmorra, the Hyur and Duskwight in the subterranean city sought to live within the Twelveswood. After a time, the Elementals sent Moogles to teach the Gelmorrans a method for communication between Man and Elemental, and so Conjury was born. There were some gifted with this communion from birth, children able to hear the call of the Elementals, and these young conjurers were called Hearers. Not all conjurers are Hearers, but all Hearers are conjurers. From there, these young conjurers are trained at the Stillglade Fane.

White Mage - Refers to users of the Elemental's magic, Succor. This powerful restorative magic was gifted to mankind during the 5th Astral Era to balance the destructive power of Black Magic. For a while, it worked, the White Mages of Amdapor were able to heal the deep wounds caused by the ever more glorified experiments by Black Mages. Until the War of the Magi broke out near the end of the 5th Astral Era. So much aether was drained from Hydaelyn to bare the strain of the Magi that the land died and the Elementals were forced to summon a great flood which wiped the taint of magic from the world. For 1000 years Succor was lost to the world, until 500 years ago, the Elementals gifted their magic once more to the Padjal.

Arcanist - Refers to practitioners of arcanima. While Melvaan's Gate was only built after the  ascension of Admiral Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn circa 1562 6AE, Arcanists can trace their routes back to the ancient civilization of Nym in the 5th Astral Era. These mages and mathematical geniuses use a mixture of geometry and enchanted inks to manifest incantations of both destructive and restorative processes. They are also capable of drawing their aether to form a Familiar, a property of their magic most likely left over from the ancient Allagan Summoner.

Scholar - Refers to a group of phrontists, chirurgeons, and tacticians of ancient Nym, a civilization which thrived during the end of the 5th Astral Era. Similar to Arcanimia, Scholars used geometric shapes and glyphs and the ink in which they were inscribed to invoke power restorative magicks. It is believed that the Nymians were aided by Faeries, magical beings possibly akin to Familiars. However, in the aftermath of the War of the Magi, the Nymians were afflicted with a terrible plague which deformed their inhabitants and struck from them their ability to invoke their former magicks, including the Fae. After the most recent Calamity, ruins of ancient Nym were uncovered in Vylbrand, making the rediscovery of that ancient magic possible.

Summoner - Refers to users of a form of magic once used by the ancient Allagans in the 3rd Astral Era over 5000 years ago. The Allagans are believed to have possessed great knowledge of magic and technology that has since been lost to the world. One of these forms of magic was known as Summoning, wherein a mage would invoke the essences of Primals they had defeated in combat. One such Allagan hero, named Wiyu, faced off against the Dark Divinity using the power of the Primals. However, the battle took an ill turn, and Wiyu sacrificed herself to seal the Elder Primal Odin from the world for the next 5000 years.

Today, there are very few who are even aware of this practice, let alone capable of wielding its power. However, with the Sons of Saint Coinach delving deeper and deeper into the secrets of the ancient Allagans and the ever growing popularity of Allagan artifacts on the market, knowledge thought lost for over 5000 years has slowly crept back to the surface. As for the summoner in the SMN storyline, he was taught this power by the Ascians, not via a soulstone or having fought a Primal.

Going further into this tangent of Summoners having to face the Primals, it is merely stated in the SMN storyline that your proximity to a Primal Summoning and its subsequent death is what awakens the power within you and allows the Player Character to draw forth that essence into an Egi. It does not specifically say that you, the Player Character, must needs be the blade which slays it. One could merely be a close observer to the fight, like Urianger oversees our duel with Ramuh in the MSQ.

(OMG, can you tell I got tired there towards the end. Guys are killing me.)

/Deep breath.

ECHO!

Let's delve right in. In response to Zyrusticae's link to Anonymoose's summary of the differences between Warriors of Light, Twelvesblades, 1st Wave, and 2nd Wave, I agree with Anonymoose. However, I must also agree that we have no steadfast lore evidence that ALL Warriors of Light have the Echo. While it is possible and perhaps even probable, we cannot say with 100% certainty that they do ALL possess the Echo.

Remember, we actually know very little about the Echo. If it is truly a "gift" from Hydaelyn, why do the Ascians have it? How do the Ascians gift it to the Sahagin? Why do the Ascians know so much more about it than we do, if it is truly Hydaelyn's gift? We do not yet have answers to these questions.

What we do know about the Echo, is that it seems to prevent the wielder from dying and returning to the Aetherial Plane. However, on the flipside of this, we see many Echo users slain during the 2.0 MSQ "All Good Things" soooooo... We know that for some reason it prevents tempering from Primals, as we are already "claimed" supposedly. We know that in some cases, but not all, it allows a passage from the user's mind into the past of another. It also in certain cases permits the comprehension of any speech, no matter how foreign the tongue. However, this ability, according to the 1.0 MSQ, is limited to only the Player Character to the best of Minfillia's knowledge.

Now, a bit of a history lesson. The Scions of the Seventh Dawn is only a 5 year old organization. Prior to the Calamity, the current Scions were part of two entities: The Path of the Twelve and The Circle of Knowing. The Path of the Twelve was an underground organization run by Minfillia whose members were those who possessed the Echo as part of the "1st Wave." 1st Wave referring to people who received the Echo's Blessing between the years 1562 and 1572. (In almost all of the cases of 1st Wave Echo users, lore states that they witnessed a "star shower" which looks oddly similar to the fall of Dalamud.) So in some form or another, they all possessed the Echo.

The Circle of Knowing, on the other hand, was a group of scholars from Sharlayan determined to prevent the coming of the Seventh Umbral Era. The Circle of Knowing was lead by the Archon Louisoux. Louisoux was the only one of the Circle EVER referred to as an Archon. Yda, Papalymo, Thancred, Urianger, and Y'shtola are never ever referred to as fellow Archons. Nor, is it ever suggested that they too, possess the Echo. In fact, in 1.0 MSQ "Beckon of the Elementals," when the Player Character pulls Papalymo and Yda into an Echo, they are at a total loss of what the heck just happened to them or who could wield such power as to revisit the past.

/dying. I hope... (wheeeeze) I hope this... (huff puff) helps! ^^;
Lore! As requested by OP. All of this information is available via your Class/Job Guildmasters in 2.0, particularly Erik in Ul'dah. OR, you can view the 1.0 Class Storylines, as they are much more informative about class history than anything we were given in 2.0. Grumblegrumble.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - K'nahli - 05-08-2015

I don't really see why anyone would be interested in the Warrior job. I mean, it's not really any different from marauder. It's just following some specific techniques from a very specific tribe. I'm sure anyone could make up their own version of that if they simply liked the concept. To me it's like someone saying:

"I learned to be a pro lancer from the Hipparion Sunseeker tribe. I am no longer a lancer... I am 'the' lancer".

I mean... okay, fine.... but you could just as easily make up any other tribe and there and not stick specifically to what Gorge's story entailed.

SPEAKING OF WHICH... someone just called him Curious George. Maybe it was intentional but his actual name is Curious Gorge... which is really, really sad. I think I got all the way to the level 50 quest before realising, if not long after it.

I still call him George though.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Kage - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 11:46 AM)K Wrote: SPEAKING OF WHICH... someone just called him Curious George. Maybe it was intentional but his actual name is Curious Gorge... which is really, really sad. I think I got all the way to the level 50 quest before realising, if not long after it.

I still call him George though.
I think it's our brains inputting letters we think should be there. You know, like that one scrabble of text that goes "If you can read this your IQ is high" shite?

For the longest time, I thought Dumbledore called the prefects in harry potter "PERFECTS" until I found out that prefect is a word and I watched Harry Potter movie 1. >.>; Our brain thinks we know what we are reading before we actually process it.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Hammersmith - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 11:46 AM)K Wrote: I don't really see why anyone would be interested in the Warrior job. I mean, it's not really any different from marauder. It's just following some specific techniques from a very specific tribe. I'm sure anyone could make up their own version of that if they simply liked the concept. To me it's like someone saying:

"I learned to be a pro lancer from the Hipparion Sunseeker tribe. I am no longer a lancer... I am 'the' lancer".

I see it more like having an axe, and having an axe and being able to strap a flamethrower to the axe.

Pirates are practical users of the axe. Not really casual users, but they're not an overly organized or crazy force. They're just good at what they do.

Warriors are there to pull your limbs off and beat you to death with them.

It's a completely different league of "I have an axe"

It's "I have an axe and I like the sound of someone's throat being crushed in my bare hand". It's an immersion in being absolutely furious and riding that wave to the point where every's dead and you're covered in their blood.

Which...might explain why the art died out. 

That's not the sort of thing that's fun at parties anymore.

The only reason it's limited to "axe user" is because that's how FF works. I'd love to see this class have at least MODELS for large hammers, mauls, tetsubos, the works, but in the end all the skills and animations require the weapon in question, and less the lore requiring it (See: Wrestles bears for giggles)

Hey, if people get away with calling Midlander "derplander" (because lel, so fanny) I'm going to reference the obvious er, reference!