Hydaelyn Role-Players
How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') (/showthread.php?tid=11487)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Seriphyn - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 11:46 AM)K Wrote: I don't really see why anyone would be interested in the Warrior job. I mean, it's not really any different from marauder. It's just following some specific techniques from a very specific tribe. I'm sure anyone could make up their own version of that if they simply liked the concept. To me it's like someone saying:

"I learned to be a pro lancer from the Hipparion Sunseeker tribe. I am no longer a lancer... I am 'the' lancer".

I mean... okay, fine.... but you could just as easily make up any other tribe and there and not stick specifically to what Gorge's story entailed.

SPEAKING OF WHICH... someone just called him Curious George. Maybe it was intentional but his actual name is Curious Gorge... which is really, really sad. I think I got all the way to the level 50 quest before realising, if not long after it.

I still call him George though.

What about the Inner Beast? You know, glowing red eyes and powerful berserk mode? That is extremely distinct from marauder.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - ProvaDiServo - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 02:04 PM)Seriphyn Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 11:46 AM)K Wrote: I don't really see why anyone would be interested in the Warrior job. I mean, it's not really any different from marauder. It's just following some specific techniques from a very specific tribe. I'm sure anyone could make up their own version of that if they simply liked the concept. To me it's like someone saying:

"I learned to be a pro lancer from the Hipparion Sunseeker tribe. I am no longer a lancer... I am 'the' lancer".

I mean... okay, fine.... but you could just as easily make up any other tribe and there and not stick specifically to what Gorge's story entailed.

SPEAKING OF WHICH... someone just called him Curious George. Maybe it was intentional but his actual name is Curious Gorge... which is really, really sad. I think I got all the way to the level 50 quest before realising, if not long after it.

What about the Inner Beast? You know, glowing red eyes and powerful berserk mode? That is extremely distinct from marauder.

True, but I don't think being enraged or Frenzied is hard to play out sans warrior tutiledge.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Seriphyn - 05-08-2015

I mean, PLD vs GLD is even less distinct than WAR vs MRD. WAR you have this supernatural redeye stuff, and PLD? I don't even know. You're very principled and honorable and all that generic stuff. The skills like Hallowed Ground aren't even brought up in dialogue, unlike Inner Beast which is central to WAR and made a skill.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Mercer - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 02:12 PM)ProvaDiServo Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 02:04 PM)Seriphyn Wrote:

True, but I don't think being enraged or Frenzied is hard to play out sans warrior tutiledge.

The big thing with the Warrior job is getting primal. It's not just about being enraged or frenzied, it's about stripping away mental state until you are just a hair above a foaming, rabid animal. Forcing yourself into that animistic state while keeping just enough sanity to not kill everyone around you.

In game mechanic terms, it translates to the constant build up of wrath until you become so infuriated that you can push beyond your normal physical restrictions and preform something amazing. The maneuver also snaps you out of your rage to become clear headed again.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Warren Castille - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 11:46 AM)Knahli Wrote: I don't really see why anyone would be interested in the ______ job. I mean, it's not really any different from ________.

For reference, you can plug in almost every single class/job here.

Black Mage / Thaumaturge
White Mage / Conjurer
Bard / Archer
Monk / Pugilist
Paladin / Gladiator
Summoner / Arcanist
Scholar / Arcanist
Ninja / Rogue
Dragoon / Lancer

They use the fundamentals, and they all get ______ as well.

Could be rephrased as "What's the big deal with <job>? It's just <class> with <power>."

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - KitKat - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 05:44 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: The only person who got told what to do was me, when I was told I had to accept it or I was destroying the community.

I'll ask you to kindly stop misrepresenting what I'm saying. I never said anything of the sort. I simply asked for the same respect that Nako'li gave in one of his posts. Instead of outright crossing a player off your list because they choose to play something, I'm suggesting that you give plausibility a try.

(05-08-2015, 07:24 AM)Black Hat Wrote: I hope that, by now, tempers have ebbed some because I saw some alarming leans from certain people. Leans that skirted dangerously close to socio-political "classist" statements. More intriguing (to me) is that these were NOT being instigated by the obvious parties....

With the exception of an outright demand made on one poster...

I hope neither of these lines refers to me. I never lost my temper, nor did I ever make any outright demands.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - LiadansWhisper - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 10:54 PM)KitKat Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 05:44 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: The only person who got told what to do was me, when I was told I had to accept it or I was destroying the community.

I'll ask you to kindly stop misrepresenting what I'm saying. I never said anything of the sort. I simply asked for the same respect that Nako'li gave in one of his posts. Instead of outright crossing a player off your list because they choose to play something, I'm suggesting that you give plausibility a try.

I think that if you already know your interpretation of Lore is simply not going to gel with someone else, you should probably save yourself the headache, heartache, and likely drama of forcing an interaction.  In other words, if someone's sense of Lore doesn't fit yours, walk away.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Meena - 05-09-2015

(05-08-2015, 02:22 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 11:46 AM)K Wrote: I don't really see why anyone would be interested in the ______ job. I mean, it's not really any different from ________.

Black Mage / Thaumaturge
White Mage / Conjurer
Bard / Archer
Monk / Pugilist
Paladin / Gladiator
Summoner / Arcanist
Scholar / Arcanist
Ninja / Rogue
Dragoon / Lancer

Could be rephrased as "What's the big deal with <job>? It's just <class> with <power>."
I actually think Scholar and Summoner are probably the two hardest to justify. ._.

One requires having beaten the primals and the others is finding a rare species of fae?

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - LiadansWhisper - 05-09-2015

(05-09-2015, 12:09 AM)Meena Wrote: I actually think Scholar and Summoner are probably the two hardest to justify. ._.

One requires having beaten the primals and the others is finding a rare species of fae?

Summoner only requires you to be in the area to have the power activated within you.  Scholar doesn't require you to outright find a faerie.   You actually could justify it by finding some lost Nymian lore or something similar.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Arrelaine - 05-09-2015

No, summoners only beat an egi. Not the primal itself. They're like, mini-versions of the primals. Very mini.

Back to the main topic, I generally walk away. I excuse myself IC, and my character meets a fairly decent amount of people, so I can say she easily forgets someone if the RP is something I don't like. I.E, I feel creeped out by someone, then Arry will excuse herself and probably just avoid them in general.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - allgivenover - 05-09-2015

Considering the Scholar Job quest starts with you finding a job crystal in a crate I think it's far easier to use than White Mage.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Aduu Avagnar - 05-09-2015

(05-09-2015, 12:19 AM)Arrelaine Wrote: No, summoners only beat an egi. Not the primal itself. They're like, mini-versions of the primals. Very mini.

Back to the main topic, I generally walk away. I excuse myself IC, and my character meets a fairly decent amount of people, so I can say she easily forgets someone if the RP is something I don't like. I.E, I feel creeped out by someone, then Arry will excuse herself and probably just avoid them in general.
You have to call upon that egi and beat it, the ability to call upon it is being in the area when a primal dies.

Hence why you have to beat the primals to do those class quests.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Aduu Avagnar - 05-09-2015

(05-09-2015, 12:09 AM)Meena Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 02:22 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 11:46 AM)K Wrote: I don't really see why anyone would be interested in the ______ job. I mean, it's not really any different from ________.

Black Mage / Thaumaturge
White Mage / Conjurer
Bard / Archer
Monk / Pugilist
Paladin / Gladiator
Summoner / Arcanist
Scholar / Arcanist
Ninja / Rogue
Dragoon / Lancer

I actually think Scholar and Summoner are probably the two hardest to justify. ._.

Faeries are called upon in the same manner as carbuncles, also brought up in the lore video posted earlier.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Kellach Woods - 05-09-2015

(05-08-2015, 02:12 PM)ProvaDiServo Wrote: True, but I don't think being enraged or Frenzied is hard to play out sans warrior tutiledge.

The best way I can put this :
Without WAR tutelage, you're just an angry dude.

With WAR tutelage, you're essentially angry Jason Voorhees when it comes to people stopping your rampage. It'll happen once per movie and you'll get back up for the next one anyway.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Virella - 05-09-2015

Live and let live. I simply let my character turn a blind eye to it, and it gets too much, I simply let my character leave to avoid conflict. I would not PM someone about it, unless they PMed me first.