Hydaelyn Role-Players
How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') (/showthread.php?tid=11487)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - No Longer Exists - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 05:51 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: One rather annoying thing that happened back on CoH's official forums for the Virtue server is that the "lore-strict" group decided to never RP with the "lore-lenient" group, and so the lore-lenient group decided to troll and mock the lore-strict group whenever possible. The two groups never had discussions like these to try to reconcile and find common ground. That's... not really helpful or beneficial, in my mind. There's room enough for everyone, and there are stories that can be told without even so much as getting close to a lore boundary. Smile

I remember that! The cold stares in Pocket D and the pants-off dance-offs, scathing personal attacks and outright cruelty on both sides. Really annoying/amusing stuff but beneath that was some deep, dark animosity. It made a lot of people, even some heavy RPers back off and go hide in their SG bases which really drove a dagger into the heart of the community. It didn't "kill" anything per se, but I know it strained a lot of people I played with.

I, personally, am not one for being lore-strict, despite my inherent desire to see a unified field theory for RP. Much of that is due to seeing what Freelancer described right here and how damaging it was.

/rerail

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Aaron - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 06:04 PM)allgivenover Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 04:59 PM)Aaron Wrote: In crisis core at the end Cloud was fully healthy on top of the train with no signs of mako poisoning. Yet at the beginning of FF7 he was a vegetable in a wheel chair found by Tifa.

In FF7 all the remnants were dead. In Advent Children suddenly 3 more equipped with cell phones guns and bikes appear. Does that suddenly mean lore wise remnants weren't all dead?

Way off topic, but what? You're way off on your VII continuity and lore. Cloud wasn't a vegetable until way later in the story, not the beginning, and three new characters from Advent Children are not remnants from original story, they're manifestations of Sephiroth's will in the lifestream.
Its been a while with the wheel chair part so i probably messed that up. Yeah but no, the three guys were Remnants. Kadaj even said it.

Cloud - "I guess a remnant wouldn't really know."

^ implying he's known about them in the past. Aka ff7

Kadaj - "So what if I'm a puppet? Once upon a time, you were too!"

^ basically saying it and agreeing he was a remnant.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Melkire - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 07:04 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 07:02 PM)Kage Wrote: Everyone talks about lore-breaking stuff and I haven't actually seen any. Lore-bending, yes. Lore breaking, no....

I'm a Garlean that uses magic. A pure-blooded Garlean. Fight me.

I moonlight as a deceased Garlean major who was resurrected when a dark ritual ripped his soul back from the void and shoved it into a corpse alongside the soul of a hedonistic scion of House Dartancours, thereby creating what is, in effect, an undead zombie-esque smoke monster worthy of LOST with an eye that see a person's aether, a telepathic connection linking said zombie to others of his ilk in a manner reminiscent of a hivemind, and the difficult-to-explain gift of setting aflame any metal he might touch (FIRE SWORDS, F*** YEAH).

Oh, and he bleeds a black ooze that resembles oil.

I completely understand that many folks will not want to RP anywhere near this character, and would rather pretend this character doesn't exist. That's fine with me.

EDIT: Kadaj's quote was more in reference to himself and Cloud both existing as a legacy of mako experimentation. Can we avoid derailing posts, please? <3

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Aaron - 05-07-2015

Sorry! Lol.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Kage - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 07:02 PM)Kage Wrote: Everyone talks about lore-breaking stuff and I haven't actually seen any. Lore-bending, yes. Lore breaking, no....

He's a walking ________________.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Harmonixer - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 07:14 PM)Melkire Wrote:

Show Content

I read this a few times. Then I read it again. Is this serious? Forgive me for not being in the know. I actually want to know!

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Melkire - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 07:26 PM)Harmonixer Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 07:14 PM)Melkire Wrote:

Show Content

I read this a few times. Then I read it again. Is this serious? Forgive me for not being in the know. I actually want to know!

https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Rotunda_Crow

The wiki entry is about seven months out of date, but the character is still around.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Kage - 05-07-2015

Rotunda crow is just an annoying piece of shite Kage wishes he had personally killed. Sad

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Harmonixer - 05-07-2015

Damn son, I don't think I was actually prepared to take that in.

I have no negative or positive things to say on it. It is very interesting though! Thank you.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Fox - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 07:28 PM)Melkire Wrote: https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Rotunda_Crow

The wiki entry is about seven months out of date, but the character is still around.

This had me laughing so hard... in class. I should stop being a bad student.

I'm not sure how C'sin would react to that char.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Chris Ganale - 05-07-2015

I'll do you one better, Franz.

Show Content

In Franz' words: fight me.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Askier - 05-07-2015

I made a character once. He was a sick butler cat with super manners and lots of diseases.

Then Osric shot him on the bridge to death after sick kitty lead a mass terror campaign against Ul'dah and complicated loads of player characters and their stories.

So the sick little kitty was resurected into a new body, a female body and fused with a female soul and became an assassin. 

Then the female soul kicked out the little cat soul but little soul defied death and managed to crawl out of the very realm of chaos back into reality where he currently plots to destroy all of creation with his new void powers.

Jin'li is so snowflake it hurts. He is op, special, and unique. And you know what? I never force anyone to rp with him but a bunch of people actually really enjoy rping with him. So just cause you have a dude that -stretches- cannon laws don't mean they can't be fun for people. Especially if they are a baddy.

My.normal dude, Ki, is about as generic as they come. Lol.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Kellach Woods - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 07:07 PM)Black Hat Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 05:51 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: One rather annoying thing that happened back on CoH's official forums for the Virtue server is that the "lore-strict" group decided to never RP with the "lore-lenient" group, and so the lore-lenient group decided to troll and mock the lore-strict group whenever possible. The two groups never had discussions like these to try to reconcile and find common ground. That's... not really helpful or beneficial, in my mind. There's room enough for everyone, and there are stories that can be told without even so much as getting close to a lore boundary. Smile

I remember that! The cold stares in Pocket D and the pants-off dance-offs, scathing personal attacks and outright cruelty on both sides. Really annoying/amusing stuff but beneath that was some deep, dark animosity. It made a lot of people, even some heavy RPers back off and go hide in their SG bases which really drove a dagger into the heart of the community. It didn't "kill" anything per se, but I know it strained a lot of people I played with.

I, personally, am not one for being lore-strict, despite my inherent desire to see a unified field theory for RP. Much of that is due to seeing what Freelancer described right here and how damaging it was.

/rerail

AIN'T NO GETTING OFF THIS DERAIL WE'RE ON.

The in-fighting and general unfriendliness of Virtue were one of the reasons I stuck with the Victory RP group, which oscillated between Victory and Virtue for different sets of characters.

So far I don't think I've done much lore-breaking, but I have contributed to many lorefudgings over time as I'm of the opinion that if you can roll it in-game you can play it. Just some classes/jobs require more knowledge of the lore and how to work it.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Hammersmith - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 08:16 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 07:07 PM)Black Hat Wrote:

/rerail

AIN'T NO GETTING OFF THIS DERAIL WE'RE ON.

The in-fighting and general unfriendliness of Virtue were one of the reasons I stuck with the Victory RP group, which oscillated between Victory and Virtue for different sets of characters.

So far I don't think I've done much lore-breaking, but I have contributed to many lorefudgings over time as I'm of the opinion that if you can roll it in-game you can play it. Just some classes/jobs require more knowledge of the lore and how to work it.

Oh god, I remember the virtue Pocket D.

The Knocker King was a proto-hammersmith personality back then.  I only ever hung out at the Cape broadcasts on Virtue, but what fun it was to have a horde of Tweedle bots with macro actions.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - ArmachiA - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 04:59 PM)Aaron Wrote: Just another two cents. As a person who has a knack for writing descriptive lore myself and has even studied the lore of many sources (Anime, All the star wars and to a lesser extent, some FF games) I noticed no lore is ever 100% non ambiguous. A lot of gray areas are left open to promote imagination of the stories setting. 

So the lore addicts are in themselves really are setting themselves up for failure if they're trying to stick 100% to lore as that's the thing, there's always a gray area somewhere.

I keep seeing this argument be made and it's pretty much.. not how Lore people think. There are some parts of lore that we believe are 100% confirmed (That some people obviously don't believe - I.E WHite mage) but most of the time you can't follow lore 100%. It's impossible, there's not enough lore.

Basically what we do is Inductive logic to see if SOMETHING would be possible.

By using other pieces of evidence in lore, people decide on their own if the gray areas would be possible.

Using the Miqote Dragoon thing: Using inductive logic - Miqote came over to Eorzea awhile ago, before Ishguard closed their doors. Some will make the logical leap that Miqote dragoon can happen because of that - which there is evidence to support. And some may decide it's not a thing.

MOST Lore people are like that, I've actually never met someone who thought lore compliance meant "Sticking with the lore 100%" because it's not logically sound.