Hydaelyn Role-Players
You're characters moveset and how they use it - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: You're characters moveset and how they use it (/showthread.php?tid=11494)

Pages: 1 2

You're characters moveset and how they use it - CrimsonMars - 05-05-2015

Does your character have or know any specific in-game abilities or techniques? If so, how do they apply it in combat or even day-to-day activities?

For instance, the pugilist stances. Fist of Earth will allow my character to endure longer and take more hits, but would pretty much force her to play defensively.

Fist of Wind would allow her to move faster overall but in turn, use more of her stamina.

She has not master this icly yet, but Fist of Fire would allow her to hit slightly harder and make her feel a bit warmer too even, but over time, her stamina would slowly drain from it the more it's active. 

'Shoulder-Tackle' is the only monk ability Chiyo really mastered so far. Just like in-game, it is her go-to gap closer but also takes a toll of her stamina.

RE: You're characters moveset and how they use it - Qhora Bajihri - 05-06-2015

I really like "Hide" as an indicator of "I'm sneaking now" and since the character isn't really invisible to other characters, they can decide if they see her or not, but they at least know she was trying to hide.

Other than that, while she can do a variety of things - use a bow, create arcane constructs, etc. - I don't usually use the in-game skills unless they happen to really suit the situation. Like I'm sure she coats her daggers in wasp venom, but I'm not sure I'd ever refer to it as Kiss of the Wasp.

RE: You're characters moveset and how they use it - Steel Wolf - 05-06-2015

Since I play Steel as a pure brawler, the fact that every axe swing she uses creates some sort of pyrotechnic madness is against the idea, so I just sort of ignore the combat motions and just headcanon what's on screen with more practical battle movements.

RE: You're characters moveset and how they use it - Chris Ganale - 05-06-2015

Having only ever been in fights (even though one was written instead of RP'd) on Ganale and Chao, they're the only ones I can speak to. For Ganale, I reference the various WAR moves by having him perform an action that visibly resembles what the in-game animation looks like, but I rarely, if ever, refer to them as their actual names. I am also prone to using a phrase that sounds similar to the skill name in the action's description: tempestuous circle for steel cyclone, et al.

Chao pitches all the MNK and BLM moves out the window. She has a Shoulder Tackle-esque move that's called shundo, which I actually imported from her original source material. Shundo as came from the source is literally instant movement (it's in the name) and has a more variable range than 10-20y. She in fact used it on someone at point-blank range to break through a manawall. There's an 'upgraded' shundo called "void instant movement" that lets someone change direction in mid-move and can even move in midair. (Funny side note, the NIN movement skill actually exists under the same name in Chao's source material, used by a ninja even, but absurdly more powerful) For actual hand-to-hand combat, Chao is also different from MNK/PGL in that her fighting style is more based on kicks than strikes.

Her magic combat also completely doesn't use the astral/umbral dichotomy. She's specialized in fire magic so she gets a flat boost to her fire spells, but she doesn't have others. Sure she can do a plinky little ice or lightning spell, but they're not going to be of any real use. She uses a much wider variety of fire-based spells as well, all of them incantation spells spoken in Garlean (Latin). She hasn't yet learned her Flare-equivalent spell, but that day is on the horizon.

RE: You're characters moveset and how they use it - Marisa - 05-07-2015

I'm currently rockin' two abilities IC. 
[Image: 0SySeeB.png?1]

At some point I'd like her to learn Cure 1.

RE: You're characters moveset and how they use it - ZacharyVolfire - 05-07-2015

For Zach's two melee classes no he's not as nimble with flips and stuff for his rouge skills but he has the muscle of his Warroir trainign to do heavy cuts with knives. As for his spells as long as his equatiosn are right so will his casting work.

RE: You're characters moveset and how they use it - Hammersmith - 05-07-2015

Hammer's unarmed/not bladed style is pulled from a lot of the "Iron" martial arts concepts.

Move into blows, take some of the hit or use it as leverage, deliver something MUCH worse where capable.

His "I have a weapon" style involves making you regret being within the reach of his weapon to any degree.  He's not nible, but he's cunning and reads several steps ahead of a fight where he can.

Fighting an armored guy on a beach? Manuver them into deeper and deeper water and can't manuver.

Then hold them under until they pass out.

Someone trying to get too close for a fair swing? Force them to Keep close and then pull a knife.

Nimble? Force movement in one direction and have something waiting coming the other direction.

Hammer sees most fights as a dance.  Know your partner.  See how they move, then lead until they can't dance anymore. His power is that he's been doing these dances for so long he knows most of the steps before the other dancer does.

RE: You're characters moveset and how they use it - C'kayah Polaali - 05-07-2015

While C'kayah is a decent archer of the hunting variety and a journeyman conjurer, neither of those are things he uses regularly. Instead, his signature moveset would simply be his mouth.

[Image: 5MmihbC.gif]

Very innocuous, don't you think?

RE: You're characters moveset and how they use it - Viola - 06-03-2015

Memenu's fighting style (as the ancient texts and fabled legends of her have described her as) is not the most elegant thing in the world. Her attacks are based off of intimidation and devastation, making her a powerhouse despite her small size (A "lightning bruiser" so to speak.)

if she sees a weakpoint, she will exploit it, but she will do it with her own ability; no dirty tricks needed to finish a fight as quickly as it starts.

...Of course, none of this exactly helps her in day-to-day work since she doesn't have much knowledge in the "every day" life of Eorzeans. Even sleeping and eating are a bit "foreign" to her.

RE: You're characters moveset and how they use it - Erik Mynhier - 06-03-2015

Im in the camp of people who think its reasonable for people living in a land of magic cam use magic. I also follow the logic in my head that states "if you enemy has a significant strength advantage over you (tech) and yet you have access to something they lack (aether), any military would exploit that advantage. So it seems reasonable to me that most alliance soldiers have some aether training."

Erik's naturally trained aetheric skills (ie from him, not an item) are mostly to do woth channeling aether through his armor (ooc skills like Sentinel) to boost his durability, through his sword (combos, weapon skills) and his shield specifically to mentally control its flight when thrown (Shield Lob), and finally some light conjury from his training as a child.

I dont really call out actual ooc attacts, I more go like,

"Erik consentraited as his aether flowed into his blade. Waiting only a moment as the steel glew as if it was fresh from the forge, he swung in place and drove the sword into the wall. The glowing blade pierced the metal frame and shreeked as the energy released, causing the massive door to shatter as if it had been smashed by a force beyond his strength."

RE: You're characters moveset and how they use it - Chill Man - 06-04-2015

Imagine Kung Jin from MKX. That's pretty much Javvy.

RE: You're characters moveset and how they use it - Yangh - 06-04-2015

Lets see... i'll bite!

Yangh has a form of Pugilism based on the Mantis Kung-fu forms and a boat load of Yang's moveset from Street Fighter III: Third strike. Its appropriately named 'Linh Mantis', named after her Clan's surname and is their go to Assassination arts when training assassins from Young. It is a style completely tailored to killing.

Aside from that she uses a Scimitar Blade. Her style with the blade is a kin to sword dancing. Its fancy and she's a complete novice with the sword. There's also her Blue Mage esque type abilities which I don't get to use with many people because grey areas of lore and what not. Very fun though!

P'azih is more of a Pugilist and a Monk in training. He doesn't KNOW he has a Monk soul stone yet, or what a place of power is... or what a Monk even is. He's been trained as a Pugilist and had the stone left to him by his father who received it from an old Ala Mhigan, Master Monk who'd put down his fists after the fall.

He has a few skills Pugilist wise. Nothing Chakra related yet though... that's to come!

I can't wait to RP him getting his ass handed to him by a proper Monk who happens on the same place of power and insists on dueling for it.

He's also adept with sword and board. Has a decent aptitude for aether but hasn't really trained for it as he's 9 months fresh out of his tribe!

RE: You're characters moveset and how they use it - A'kos Saiyal - 07-06-2015

With A'kos, his normal style would have the twirls and flips of the rogue/ninja skill set, as well as the kicks. He's a fast, very nimble fighter and uses them like dance steps. It's not to different from his 'unarmed' style, which fits with his mechanic Pugilist level, as he doesn't have many aether enhanced moves yet, so no ground erupting air punching whatevers, but he knows how to use his body and put the hurt on the other guy.

It's the use of two blades and all the kicks that really suits his combat style, and the more magical type ninja moves. Hand signs would be a new but not totally foreign concept, as he would be used to drawing sigils and symbols in the air to make his simple magics work.

His abilities as a true Disciple of Magic are next to nothing though, and I'm not sure if I really want to change that, but we'll see how rping him goes. Mechanic wise, when I played in 1.0 as a different character, Gladiator was my main class. I'm not sure how good he is with the weapons, but seeing as how I like swords he probably has some skill with them, since sooner or later I'll go back to my first love, (swords, not neccesarily Gladiator). Any other kind of move he learns, he tries to incorporate it into his preferred fighting style.

RE: You're characters moveset and how they use it - Hammersmith - 07-06-2015

Hammer's 'learned' moves are a grab-bag from things front line grunts would have picked up.

Give him a spear, he's going to fight really, really good alongside someone with a shield. 

Give him a sword and a shield, he's going to put a long knife in the hand that's got the shield mounted on it and use the targe/dirk/broadsword 3-hit combo of charging someone, slapping them with the shield to put them off balance, trying to shank them with a sword, and then trying to shank them with the knife coming out from the edge of his shield.

Give him an axe and he becomes a dervish who uses the giant hunk of metal in his hands to turn his center of balance into an axis of whirling death and dirty fighting.  Out of all the weapons the Great Axe from MRD has the least historical backing as a feasable weapon, which means it's also the one I have the most leeway with.    It's where the golf swing comes from, it's where I get to use words like meteoric and catastrophic.  It's a large, sweeping arc of death that weighs more than a lot of player chars and I do my best to convey it, even if there's no fire flying off the weapon or actual, yannow, whirlwinds.

Mostly Hammer reads who he's fighting and then does his best to disrupt their style and play dirty.  His biggest "moves" are improv adjustments mid fight to throw someone off balance.  Make them think they know what's happening and then switch the action up on them while everything's still moving,  Be that ripping someone's magitec arm off (because he knows the magnetic joints attaching it to the shoulder are faulty due to an earlier conversation) and beating the owner with it to the infamous Violent Golf, which is a mixture of surprise, momentum, and absolute violence, to coating someone in alchohol and setting them on fire with his cigar.

If it's on hand, there's a chance he's going to use it to make you bleed and scream.

RE: You're characters moveset and how they use it - Aaron - 07-06-2015

Since Aaron basically has used every type of blade in game (One handed, two handed, dual wield) I've basically kinda made him a well versed blades user despite his young age. 

He knows a lot of the in game moves (save for the job specific stuff as I avoid rping a job with a passion) 

With one handed, hes more a parry + unarmed counter type fighter. This is probably his most passive type of style despite his calm and quiet attitude. (used Paladin for this)

With dual wield he becomes a lot more aggressive following the logic "offense over defense" and he generally uses his agility to attack non stop until a opening forces or he has to back off to rest. Needless to say he burns out of stamina the fastest with this. Also with dual wield hes known to be really careless, having thrown his swords at people if he couldn't get close to them. Gambling on it either implying them like a stake or completely being missed or caught. Good thing rolls has always favored the former tho lol (Used rogue for this)

With two handed hes more a break and slash type person. Aiming his slashes at odd angles to take advantage of the lack if human flexibility in some parts of the body to make breaking through a defense easy for him. His greatsword is a lot lighter than it looks too.