Hydaelyn Role-Players
Nico Nico Ishgard Lore Panel - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Nico Nico Ishgard Lore Panel (/showthread.php?tid=11497)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Nico Nico Ishgard Lore Panel - Blue - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 08:04 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Play Ultima IV then Big Grin

I'll rectify that I want Shepherd class in FFXIV, then.... Dodgy

RE: Nico Nico Ishgard Lore Panel - Sounsyy - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 08:51 AM)Goodfellow Wrote:
Quote:I wouldn't overthink the translation. Sharlayan colony is named the same as their home city-state.

Right.  That's true and possibly confuses my question somewhat, but I'm not asking anything about the island nation of Sharlayan, just the timing of their defunct Eorzean colony.

The Sharlayan colony west of Dravania was abandoned 20 years ago after the fall of Ala Mhigo and peace negotiations between Sharlayan and Garlemald failed.

RE: Nico Nico Ishgard Lore Panel - Manari - 05-08-2015

As far as disregarding lore goes, I remember this was a big topic of debate when 2.0 finally launched and people were burning through the original story missions. At the end of 1.0, the final cut scene showed Derplander's team of adventurers being warped away somewhere just as Bahamut decided to start going on a rampage. Then it all ended. For almost a year we were left to debate what exactly happened there. The scene where Derplander's party reappears and calls their chocobos didn't appear until one of later phases of 2.0's beta.

Most believed that Derplander's party was a proxy for our characters in the cut scene therefore we all got teleported somewhere. Others believed that in the storyline, specifically only Derplander's party was transported. Then there were debates over exactly where/when they were transported to. Most of us RP'ed that our character was somehow involved in that massive battle against the Garleans. Which was more difficult for some than others. A few of us RPed that our characters either fled the Realm or otherwise sought out safety. After all, an entire moon was about to crash into our land.

Once 2.0 released, it was made clear that our characters were transported 5 years into the future, just as most of us had heard or guessed. But what we didn't expect was the plot point that no one remembered us. So there was a big debate in the RP community about this. Some people said that you /must/ RP all your friends and family completely forgetting about you if you teleported through time, because the game clearly says that no one can remember the "Warriors of Light". Also, if you didn't teleport through time, you /must/ forget about every character you've ever RPed with who did time travel. The Echo seemed to be the one way around this. So suddenly, many characters developed The Echo as a way to circumvent this plot point.

Other people just decided that they didn't like having to forget every bit of RP they had ever done and chose to ignore it completely. In the end, I don't think it mattered since in the storyline the Warriors of Light are eventually remembered anyway. But it was a classic case of SE throwing in some special "your character is the one true hero" plot point stuff that everyone interpreted into their RP in a different way.

What this all boils down to is how /your/ character specifically will react to an Au Ra, not how SE says their NPCs will react. Manari has never seen one before, so of course she's going to be a little shocked. I have a male highlander alt that just likes pretty girls regardless of what race they are. When he sees an Au Ra (female) he will react much differently than Manari will. That's how I'm looking at it.

RE: Nico Nico Ishgard Lore Panel - Goodfellow - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 09:41 AM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 08:51 AM)Goodfellow Wrote: Right.  That's true and possibly confuses my question somewhat, but I'm not asking anything about the island nation of Sharlayan, just the timing of their defunct Eorzean colony.

The Sharlayan colony west of Dravania was abandoned 20 years ago after the fall of Ala Mhigo and peace negotiations between Sharlayan and Garlemald failed.

I thought I remembered that being the case.  That's why reference to "ancient" Sharlayan ruins confuses me.  I don't know when the colony was founded, but if it was only abandoned 20 years ago I'd hardly call that ancient.  So, either the colony was founded very, very long ago and was riddled with older architecture that was already "ruined" before the Sharlayans decided to abandon it or that wasn't the first Sharlayan colony and other far older colonies preceded it.

Does that make sense?  Is there something I'm missing?

RE: Nico Nico Ishgard Lore Panel - Sounsyy - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 01:51 PM)Goodfellow Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 09:41 AM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 08:51 AM)Goodfellow Wrote: Right.  That's true and possibly confuses my question somewhat, but I'm not asking anything about the island nation of Sharlayan, just the timing of their defunct Eorzean colony.

I thought I remembered that being the case.  That's why reference to "ancient" Sharlayan ruins confuses me.  I don't know when the colony was founded, but if it was only abandoned 20 years ago I'd hardly call that ancient.  So, either the colony was founded very, very long ago and was riddled with older architecture that was already "ruined" before the Sharlayans decided to abandon it or that wasn't the first Sharlayan colony and other far older colonies preceded it.

Does that make sense?  Is there something I'm missing?

It's difficult to say. We know Sharlayan existed during the Year 200 of the Sixth Astral Era, dating Sharlayan at at least 1400 years old. However, we don't know if Lewphon of Sharlayan hailed from northern island Sharlayan or Aldenardian Sharlayan. Sharlayan may even pre-date the Sixth Astral Era as a group of twelve Archons attempted to defeat the Ascians during the 5th Umbral Era's War of the Magi. While it never outright says these Archons were members of Sharlayan's council called the Circle of Knowing, there are parallels.

Alternatively, Roddard Ironheart, a Sharlayan cartographer, didn't complete the first (known) complete map of Eorzea until 1506 6AE, 71 years ago. It could be assumed that the mainland Sharlayan colony wasn't established until circa that time period? We don't yet know for sure. Sharlayan may have just built their colony on top of ruins of some more ancient civilization.

RE: Nico Nico Ishgard Lore Panel - Zyrusticae - 05-09-2015

(05-08-2015, 09:00 AM)Clover Wrote:
Show Content

What's even more annoying is that taking the explanation at face value is equally absurd.

"Dragons? Oh, no no no, you see, our ancestors came from the Dawn Mother and the Dusk Father and-"

"You mean to say your ancestors CONSORTED WITH VOIDSENT? BURN THE HERETICS!"

Etc., etc.

As many things as I enjoyed about Yoshida's iteration of the game, the sudden separation they're creating between lore and gameplay and even lore and story are not among them. The design of the Au Ra themselves speaks of a desire to pander towards the lowest common denominator rather than any will to create a virtual, fictional world (as opposed to a playground).

It's sad. That's all I can say.

It's a good thing I enjoy the rest of the game enough that this isn't enough to stop me from having fun with it all.

RE: Nico Nico Ishgard Lore Panel - Erik Mynhier - 05-09-2015

It may seem odd that SE is basically say the Auri will be no big deal yet treated our ninja friend as such a shock to the general population. If I may I think I can call a real life example of this to show how it is possible.

It was taught to us in school how the Netherlands and Japan had strong trade relations after the Waring States Era. As such we had in Holland several dutch who reacted differently. The affluent educated were acutely aware of Japan and Japanese people. The art and culture even became posh during that time among the wealthy, the original weeboos. The modestly comfortable had a knowledge of Japan but a fuzzy knowledge of Japanese people. No internet meant you had to rely on descriptions in books to know them at all. The uneducated poor had no idea there was even such a place as Japan. Despite being such a strong partner to the nation, the poor masses were to busy surviving to look into it. If they met a Japanese person they may not have reacted politely.

So I can sort of see where SE is coming from. We forget sometimes that there were times when the accumulation of human knowledge was not at everyone's fingertips. And that people without knowledge react...... poorly sometimes.

RE: Nico Nico Ishgard Lore Panel - Wymsical - 05-10-2015

(05-09-2015, 05:21 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: the lowest common denominator

Yikes. That's a little harsh. I think 'majority appeal' would be a better way to put it, but hey...

To everyone worrying about this part of the lore, I think we need to remember that we have at least three races/race subsets that should be treated differently by the game, but don't: Duskwight, Highlanders and Keepers. In lore, all three of those have significant negative perceptions toward them from various segments of the population but there's no acknowledgment from the game if you play one.

FFXIV doesn't differentiate from race. Gameplay wise, it's essentially just a cosmetic choice. It's not TES where there's slight differences for quests or reactions or the basic "Oh hi, [race]!" Since there's going to be Au Ra players running all over the place, they can't really have the Holy See declare them heretics or have every questgiver react to one with 'AHHHH VOIDSENT GO AWAY'. That might work in a single-player game but again, XIV has absolutely no in-game acknowledgment of your race, most likely to streamline quests and gameplay experience.

I'm sure there's still going to be prejudice and suspicion that gets mentioned in certain quests or lore tidbits; they've established time and again that this world can be a rather xenophobic one. RP-wise, I'd say a pretty good explanation would be that Ishgardians in general are so desperate for help that they'll try to ignore most weird stuff in the hopes of not perishing to a horde of dragons.