Hydaelyn Role-Players
Looking for Miqo'te/Lore Info - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Looking for Miqo'te/Lore Info (/showthread.php?tid=11577)

Looking for Miqo'te/Lore Info - Rising - 05-12-2015

So, I've been to the wiki and found a little bit of info on the Miqo'te race. I just have a few questions but cannot find the info I'm looking for so I'm hoping the folks here will have some answers or can point out some resources.

I'm also very fuzzy on the lore in general as I completely new to the FF world. I've done the main questline up to my level of 25 but I find it difficult to follow because of all the other things going on. I have a bit of a learning disability and find it hard to sift through information and focus on the pertinent events/story.  I kind of need the CliffsNotes guide!

For now, I just want some info specifically on the Miqo'te race. I was thinking to RP my character as having mixed heritage of Keeper and Seeker.... mostly because in game she is a Keeper but is named like a Seeker. Is this too 'special snowflake' of me? I can certainly pay for a name change when I get paid if it's something that is going to warn reputable RPers away.

What is the average life-span of the Miqo'te?  Do they have fur or normal skin? Like the tails are obviously furred but the rest of the body appears in game to be smooth skinned.... how do you guys RP them? In my mind they're somewhat in between, not smooth skinned but having a very fine fur on most their body. It just seems odd to have a furred tail but not body.

RE: Looking for Miqo'te/Lore Info - Maril - 05-12-2015

I think for most people when it comes to fur they use the WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) principle. So, fur on ears/tail, smooth skin everywhere else. Overall, what I have encountered is people playing them more as humans and less as cats, however ears/tail open up for a whole new world of bodylanguage. I tend to give my miqo'tes a trait I've named tell-tale-tail, wherein their mood is usually easily read through their ears and tail if one is savvy on what such means. Eg, ears pinned down against head + puffy tail = Angry, and this is something my miqotes can not control (though it would probably be possible for someone to train themselves not to react). Another thing to note is that Miqo'tes have been described as more agile and maintain better balance than for example a hyur, just from a standard point of view.

As for the mix, it's not too special snowflakey, however you should be aware that mixes between the two types of miqote are usually frowned upon. These mixes get either shunned, ridiculed or even killed by their families if it is discovered (not always a given!) that they're a mix of one and the other, and should one make it to adulthood it's likely that there's some people who will still shun them, refuse to deal with/speak to them, etc - all depending on how obvious it is (eg. a really light skinned keeper). I would also say that there'd probably be a risk of mix-genes skipping a generation or two, so if it's minor traits (Like a seeker with sharp fangs, sharp fangs is otherwise a keeper trait) it might not be directly from their parents.

RE: Looking for Miqo'te/Lore Info - Rising - 05-12-2015

(05-12-2015, 02:42 PM)Nailah Wrote: ... I tend to give my miqo'tes a trait I've named tell-tale-tail, wherein their mood is usually easily read through their ears and tail if one is savvy on what such means. Eg, ears pinned down against head + puffy tail = Angry, and this is something my miqotes can not control (though it would probably be possible for someone to train themselves not to react). Another thing to note is that Miqo'tes have been described as more agile and maintain better balance than for example a hyur, just from a standard point of view.

...you should be aware that mixes between the two types of miqote are usually frowned upon. These mixes get either shunned, ridiculed or even killed by their families if it is discovered (not always a given!) that they're a mix of one and the other, and should one make it to adulthood it's likely that there's some people who will still shun them, refuse to deal with/speak to them, etc - all depending on how obvious it is (eg. a really light skinned keeper). I would also say that there'd probably be a risk of mix-genes skipping a generation or two, so if it's minor traits (Like a seeker with sharp fangs, sharp fangs is otherwise a keeper trait) it might not be directly from their parents.

The ears/tail body language was something I have wanted to do and in some of my writings have done so. Her ears flick as she catches sounds and focuses on them, tail swishing as she sights prey, etc.
I had also planned on playing that agility card quite heavily, not just a Miqo'te but her as an individual having exceptional agility.

As for the mix, I'm not sure if I'll just rename her and have her as a Keeper... but I kinda like her Seeker name! If I go with the mix, I had planned on her childhood being very uncomfortable. In my mind she was shunned and picked on, something that actually made her a stronger person in the end and fostered her independent nature. My thought was to have her raised as a Seeker but she's very heavily Keeper looking. Perhaps, as you say, the genes skipped a generation... she would have been known to be the child of Seekers but of obvious mixed blood, making her both more accepted because of her parentage but still shunned and picked on because of her obvious Keeper genes.

Not sure if it's worth it in the end. May just have to get the name change. Regardless of what I do, I do not plan on playing her as -very- traditional as I don't really want to RP in a clan or anything. She is an adventurer, a Ranger and very skilled at what she does.

RE: Looking for Miqo'te/Lore Info - Chris Ganale - 05-12-2015

There's nothing wrong with playing non-traditional miqo (both of mine are), and though mixed breeds are uncommon, it's clear you've put a lot of thought into it, so I say go for it. As for your other questions, I'd say that there's no reason they wouldn't have as much a life expectancy as the other races (except those long-lived damn elves), taking into account that odds are high people will die in the prime of their lives because of the nature of the setting. The furred one? It's my personal preference, but I treat miqo'te as not being furred, period. Even the ears and tails. It's splitting hairs, yes, but I will never not refer to it as hair, and am kinda weirded out by people implying or saying otherwise. But that's just because I don't like furries so my opinion is pretty invalid.

RE: Looking for Miqo'te/Lore Info - Fox - 05-12-2015

There are instances even in game for mixed heritage. While it is frowned upon and you'll deal with racism, there is a mixed Keeper npc in the game, I believe it's a Leeper- I'm mobile and quite can't remember which tribe the npc is from. Honestly lol at this point, you deal with racism a lot anyway so play what you like within games plausibility.

RE: Looking for Miqo'te/Lore Info - Fox - 05-12-2015

(05-12-2015, 04:19 PM)Chris Ganale Wrote: There's nothing wrong with playing non-traditional miqo (both of mine are)

Yep! My partner plays a non traditional Seeker, I play a traditional one with the char so it makes for some interesting discussions. I also play a non traditional Keeper rogue but not often.

Alot of people are playing their chars from 1.0 as well so they made them city miqo'te instead of tribal.

(Also, sorry mobile is having issues with letting me edit. I wanted to post this in the above post.)

RE: Looking for Miqo'te/Lore Info - Sounsyy - 05-12-2015

(05-12-2015, 02:35 PM)RisingWolf Wrote: So, I've been to the wiki and found a little bit of info on the Miqo'te race. I just have a few questions but cannot find the info I'm looking for so I'm hoping the folks here will have some answers or can point out some resources.

Welcome to Eorzea and the RPC!

Most of the lore surrounding Miqo'te is that of their Tribal aspects. However, many Miqo'te are not tribal (this includes NPCs and RPers). In the last 100 years with the original formation of the Eorzean Alliance, many of the races who had once all been at war with one another have begun assimilating into city-state life.

In any case, here's some lore compilations that you may find helpful:
-Miqo'te Naming Conventions
-Mysterium's Compilation of Miqo'te Lore and Dev Posts
-Seeker of the Sun Tribal Population and Location

The most brief, basic synopsis of Miqo'te lore is that 3,000 years ago during the 5th Umbral Era, also known as the Age of Endless Frost, the Miqo'te fled their native lands on the southern continent of Meracydia north across frozen seas, following their prey. These Miqo'te belonged to 26 Tribes (Seekers) and 50 Families (Keepers) who then spread across Eorzea and the rest of the known world in search of hunting grounds. Names of each Seeker Tribe's "Totem Animal" were adapted to the Eorzean language and became the basis for their naming conventions. In the 3,000 years since, Miqo'te have adapted to Eorzea quite well. Most Miqo'te lead insular lifestyles, often times avoiding the city-states altogether. They are a highly spiritual people, valuing family and either the Sun or Moon deities depending on their Clan. Though some have recently come to assimilate with the other races in the city-states.

In regards to Cross-Race and Cross-Clan mixing and couples, they are common in the game, however, oftentimes perceived in a very negative fashion by Eorzean citizens per lore. The races generally dislike each other, so the Lore Team has told us that many children from these mixed families are met with extreme prejudice. Homosexuality, Bisexuality, and Polyamory seem to be acceptable social norms, just mixed race is met with some resistance. The quest for Wanderer's Palace (Hard Mode) tells the story of a mixed race couple, Miqo'te and Highlander males, who were disowned from their homes and families because of their mixed racial relationship.

Race Mixing | Clan Mixing

As for life expectancies, Fernehalwes at the Las Vegas Fan Festival said that the Races of Man in Eorzea have about the same life expectancy as real world people. (80-100 years) Elezen have a slightly extended life span, but we were not given a specific number as to how extended. We've taken to assume 100-120 years. However, because of Eorzea's dangerous living conditions, poor nutrition, war, dangerous professions, etc most Eorzeans do not live out their full expectancy. Most would consider a man/woman in their 50s quite old. Complimented by this text from fishing lore:

Quote:Haraldr Haddock
A tasty saltwater fish indigenous to the cold waters of the Bloodbrine Sea. Its name comes from a legendary northern king who was said to have survived to the ripe old age of seven and fifty summers eating only the fatty flesh of this grotesque wavekin.

There's not really any lore about the... furry and not furry bits of Miqo'te. Unlike many MMOs or other Fantasy settings, Eorzeans do not believe in Divine Creationism. They believe in evolution from a long forgotten Mankind. Some scholars are said to believe that Miqo'te are descended from Coeurls, instead. Though many Miqo'te find this theory offensive.

Hope this helps! ^^ Lemme know if you have more lore questions!

RE: Looking for Miqo'te/Lore Info - Aaron - 05-12-2015

Y'all gonna kill Sounsy eventually with the constant summoning of the lore primal.

I bet she needs like a quintillion crystals now to be revived.

Lol

RE: Looking for Miqo'te/Lore Info - Rising - 05-12-2015

I don't mind the IC consequences of the choices I make for the character. I am mostly concerned with OOC consequences of those decisions. Since I am unfamiliar with the lore, I do not want to inadvertently set myself up with a story/character that is going to be shunned by reputable RPers and RP circles.

I am sufficiently spoiled by past associations with excellent RPers that had rather strict ideals. While I do not wish to be so 'elite' in attitude, I do want to create a character/story that is acceptable in such circles, whether I frequent them or not. In the end, once I am more versed in the lore, I still want to have a character/story that I am still satisfied with as I tend to hold myself to that 'elite' ideal.

Hope that all made sense without sounding snobbish!

RE: Looking for Miqo'te/Lore Info - D'aito Kuji - 05-12-2015

I adore the idea of using ears and tails to suggest mood when it comes to Miqo'te.  I have had my character be very bad at poker (or the Eorzean equivalent) precisely because she gives away too many tells with her ears and tail.

I play D'aito Kuji as a traditional Miqo'te and she does avoid city-states, preferring to be left on her own, making a few reliable contacts and picking up odd jobs as she seeks out adventure.  As such, whenever it comes up, I'm quick to have D'aito express confusion over pair-bonding, not seeing males as particularly important to have around full time. But she knows that some people get offended by her traditional ideas so she tends to keep some of her thoughts on such things to herself.

As someone has probably already pointed out, one of the barriers between Seeker/Keeper combos is that one is diurnal and the other is nocturnal.  But if it's one of those "late night" encounters or an "afternoon delight" situation, a Keeper/Seeker combo could create a mixed off spring.  This child would probably experience a lot of negativity about their existence from whatever tribe they ended up with (or they may have been raised by other sympathetic Eorzeans).  So it's not likely, in my opinion, but there's no reason that it can't happen and be the basis for why the person becomes an adventurer or whatever else. 

I've also thought about how, with the ability to light cities at night, the extent to which city-based Keepers and Seekers become used to being up at odd hours.

RE: Looking for Miqo'te/Lore Info - V'aleera - 05-12-2015

(05-12-2015, 05:12 PM)RisingWolf Wrote: I do not want to inadvertently set myself up with a story/character that is going to be shunned by reputable RPers and RP circles.
I wouldn't worry too much about this. I won't go as far as to say "No distinctly reputable and quality RP circles, linkshells, and Free Companies exist", but I will say there are a lot of them and most of them disagree with eachother about minutiae all the time. So trying to cater to the opinion of them all as a group is a fairly doomed venture.

Make the character you like, play that character well, and always be on the lookout for new RP opportunities and contacts and you'll never have to worry about fitting in because people will come to you.

Speaking directly to the topic: Keeper/Seeker hybrids, while moderately exceptional in the lore, are not terribly uncommon in the RP community. I've never heard of any having particular trouble or being called out for it.

RE: Looking for Miqo'te/Lore Info - Leomoon - 05-13-2015

(05-12-2015, 02:42 PM)Nailah Wrote: I think for most people when it comes to fur they use the WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) principle. So, fur on ears/tail, smooth skin everywhere else. Overall, what I have encountered is people playing them more as humans and less as cats, however ears/tail open up for a whole new world of bodylanguage. I tend to give my miqo'tes a trait I've named tell-tale-tail, wherein their mood is usually easily read through their ears and tail if one is savvy on what such means. Eg, ears pinned down against head + puffy tail = Angry, and this is something my miqotes can not control (though it would probably be possible for someone to train themselves not to react). Another thing to note is that Miqo'tes have been described as more agile and maintain better balance than for example a hyur, just from a standard point of view.

As for the mix, it's not too special snowflakey, however you should be aware that mixes between the two types of miqote are usually frowned upon. These mixes get either shunned, ridiculed or even killed by their families if it is discovered (not always a given!) that they're a mix of one and the other, and should one make it to adulthood it's likely that there's some people who will still shun them, refuse to deal with/speak to them, etc - all depending on how obvious it is (eg. a really light skinned keeper). I would also say that there'd probably be a risk of mix-genes skipping a generation or two, so if it's minor traits (Like a seeker with sharp fangs, sharp fangs is otherwise a keeper trait) it might not be directly from their parents.
there are a few charts you can uses.

Ears Tails

As for the mixed I do Agree the clans are very pure as into they will only take other Keepers or Seekers into there clan and bringing any males or females from other clans is a bit more suspect but having a Seekers in a Keeper clan would be very frowned on and seen as a invasion of the bloodline. The most of the ones that leave the clan or are mixed (Even with a none Miqo'te race like Hyur) I think this ones would generally seek to live in the City states or a village outside them.