Hydaelyn Role-Players
If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. (/showthread.php?tid=11586)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - McBeefâ„¢ - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 05:21 PM)Nebbs Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 05:14 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 04:44 PM)Nebbs Wrote: Yes people will have their opinions, but we are all free to ignore those opinions. We get to choose how it affects us. So choose to ignore the hate (if you get hate) and be happy.

This greatly oversimplifies the negative sides of socialization. If you happen to have anxiety and/or self-esteem issues, ignoring things isn't an option, much less a consideration to begin with. It will haunt you for a very, very long time.

It's why sweeping harassment and bullying up under the rug just makes things worse by neglecting the issue entirely, if not harmful to those around us. Words can and do hurt, even kill. Just take a look at all the high profile suicide cases there have been over the past year. It's all the proof anyone needs.

That people don't seem to realize why situations like this are concerning honestly scares me.

I agree and I don't think we can fix tumbler (it is a symptom of humanity not a cause), some things "just are" and resilience and support are the only defence, unless you have ways to sanction and rehabilitate people.

Cool, we've established that you think this is an unsolvable problem.

Thank you for your input.

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - Nebbs - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 05:23 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 04:44 PM)Nebbs Wrote: Yes people will have their opinions, but we are all free to ignore those opinions. We get to choose how it affects us. So choose to ignore the hate (if you get hate) and be happy.

This greatly oversimplifies the negative sides of socialization. If you happen to have anxiety and/or self-esteem issues, ignoring things isn't an option, much less a consideration to begin with. It will haunt you for a very, very long time.

It's why sweeping harassment and bullying up under the rug just makes things worse by neglecting the issue entirely, if not harmful to those around us. Words can and do hurt, even kill. Just take a look at all the high profile suicide cases there have been over the past year. It's all the proof anyone needs.

That people don't seem to realize why situations like this are concerning honestly scares me.

I agree and I don't think we can fix tumbler (it is a symptom of humanity not a cause), some things "just are" and resilience and support are the only defence, unless you have ways to sanction and rehabilitate people.

Glad we could find some mutual ground, and thank you for being understanding *hugs*

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - Nako Vesh - 05-13-2015

I must say, I'm pretty pleased that this discussion didn't devolve completely into crying about "tumblrinas"/SJWs/feminists/triggerwarnings/whatever. I am sosososo tired of people screaming "damn you Social Justice Warriors!!!!11" every time someone disagrees with them.

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - Edvyn - 05-13-2015

ranting in private is fun

ranting in public is fun

if they brought chatlogs it's all good

the chatlogs never lie

if someone is shit and you must blog about them, say nothing

let them speak for themselves

Cool

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - Sailor July - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 05:36 PM)Nako Vesh Wrote: I must say, I'm pretty pleased that this discussion didn't devolve completely into crying about "tumblrinas"/SJWs/feminists/triggerwarnings/whatever. I am sosososo tired of people screaming "damn you Social Justice Warriors!!!!11" every time someone disagrees with them.

This is really interesting, because I was thinking of something similar earlier. I don't support SJWs or feminism (I am an equalist), however I don't actively look for those posts and start yelling in people's faces because they do! I think you need to put yourself on the other end of stuff like that. Everyone has that which they do and do not like. I may not associate with some people because of their beliefs, but I don't try to change them either. I wouldn't want people to yell at me for supporting LGBTQ rights, for instance. Plus, yelling does nothing. If you want to actually change the world, lead by example and don't expect everyone to follow you, we're not all the same and that's a good thing.

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - McBeefâ„¢ - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 05:25 PM)Nebbs Wrote:

Glad we could find some mutual ground, and thank you for being understanding *hugs*

I wouldn't hug you if I was paid to do so.

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - ArmachiA - 05-13-2015

TUMBLR.

I have a Tumblr, but I mostly use it for fandom stuff, though I've been watching FFXIV drama over there (There's been a lot lately, yall are missing out!). I'm not really a part of the FFXIV Tumblr community myself, so I mostly just watch what they do while reblogging some Japanese idol gifs or talking about RP in general.

There are a lot of callouts and people can get mean, but sometimes I think callouts are necessary. Wait! Wait! There's a reason. There's been more than a few Tumblr callouts about sexual harassment that I think was beneficial for the community to know about. There is really no where else to go except to tumblr for those kinds of things. Stories, and proof, about how certain members of the community were pressuring others for sex and the like. It was pretty horrifying, and was brave of those people to make a callout. So in that regard, I think it's kind of a good thing that platform is there.

There is a lot of passive aggressive BS there though. "I'm going to say this about this because it's my personal space so eff off" kind of stuff instead of just talking with the parties they need to talk to. It's not for venting, as much a people say it is, because you can easily vent in a place that's not as easily accessible to the general public. It's saying it in a place where you hope a bunch of people will agree with you and make you feel validated. It's not venting, it's inciting.

However, talking about people behind their backs? Everyone does it, I think in that instance intent and context matters. Just blowing off some frustration? That's okay. Got into an argument with said person and need to let it out for awhile? Just fine. Making a harmless, though somewhat mean spirited joke? That's okay, too. Doing it with the intent of being completely two faced and not dealing with your issues with said person and instead trying to poison their reputation to your friends so you can feel validated? NOT OKAY.

The thing is, it isn't Tumblr itself. The person who does it on Tumblr would just... find another place to do it if it wasn't Tumblr. There are just some toxic, immature people out there.

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - Nebbs - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 06:11 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 05:25 PM)Nebbs Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 05:14 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: This greatly oversimplifies the negative sides of socialization. If you happen to have anxiety and/or self-esteem issues, ignoring things isn't an option, much less a consideration to begin with. It will haunt you for a very, very long time.

I wouldn't hug you if I was paid to do so.

That's okay they are free *hug* I'll save it anyhow

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - ProvaDiServo - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 06:11 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: I wouldn't hug you if I was paid to do so.

Show Content

*Air hornx6*

(05-13-2015, 06:13 PM)Nebbs Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 06:11 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: I wouldn't hug you if I was paid to do so.

To get this thread back on topic.

I also dislike adult males who use cutesy language like they're 12 year old girls. Does that happen a lot on Tumblr? We should discuss it.

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - SessionZero - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 06:20 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: I also dislike adult males who use cutesy language like they're 12 year old girls. Does that happen a lot on Tumblr? We should discuss it.

Can you give specific examples of cutesy language that triggers you you dislike?

(05-13-2015, 06:24 PM)SessionZero Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 06:20 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: I also dislike adult males who use cutesy language like they're 12 year old girls. Does that happen a lot on Tumblr? We should discuss it.

Can you give specific examples of cutesy language that triggers you you dislike?

Snuggly-Wuggly. If you post that on Tumblr you shouldn't be allowed on RPC.

(05-13-2015, 06:20 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:

I also dislike adult males who use cutesy language like they're 12 year old girls. Does that happen a lot on Tumblr? We should discuss it.

I am sorry that my style offends you, you can always not respond and block me, that way you won't have to read any of my posts. Have a nice day disliking things.

(05-13-2015, 06:27 PM)Nebbs Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 06:20 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:

I am sorry that my style offends you, you can always not respond and block me, that way you won't have to read any of my posts. Have a nice day disliking things.

No one ever said that *hugs*

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - Melkire - 05-13-2015

[Moderator Hardhat]

Discussion seems to have run its course. There does seem to be room for several off-shoots on specific subjects. If anyone would like to discuss those matters further, please create a new thread, as I'll be locking this one now.

^^

[/Moderator Hardhat]