Hydaelyn Role-Players
If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. (/showthread.php?tid=11586)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - RiniKett - 05-13-2015

♪All you need is love♪

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - Alothia - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 09:11 AM)OttoVann Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 08:58 AM)Alothia Wrote: Just a note that we're watching this thread closely. I don't see anything wrong if the discussion continues in a peaceful manner. Just note that if your emotions are getting the better of you as you read this thread, it's probably not a good idea to post. Keep it civil, let's not resort to name calling, and we should be fine.

Can I call you baby?

I'm nobody's baby! Nobody puts me in the corner! 

Rawr.

You all know what I mean. ^^ Carry on and be good to each other.

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - Askier - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 08:40 AM)LadyRochester Wrote: I believe that they are only bashing those who promote the bullying and harassment of others based on their assumption...
Bashing is bashing is bashing.

The moment you bash someone, you are demeaning them.  No matter how you justify it, if you are bashing someone, you are insinuating something they do is lesser.  Even if they hurt your feelings or said something vile, the moment you bash them, you have made yourself the exact same as them.

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - Cato - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 09:17 AM)Red Coat Cat Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 08:40 AM)LadyRochester Wrote: I believe that they are only bashing those who promote the bullying and harassment of others based on their assumption...
Bashing is bashing is bashing.

The moment you bash someone, you are demeaning them.  No matter how you justify it, if you are bashing someone, you are insinuating something they do is lesser.  Even if they hurt your feelings or said something vile, the moment you bash them, you have made yourself the exact same as them.

I disagree. There's a big difference between criticising someone and badmouthing them directly behind their backs and someone indirectly implying that doing so isn't all that productive or great.

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - ProvaDiServo - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 09:10 AM)allgivenover Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 08:48 AM)ProvaDiServo Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 08:03 AM)allgivenover Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 01:47 AM)OttoVann Wrote: We all talk shit about a lot of people privately all the time,

Speak for yourself, unless you just mean your own social circle?

Seriously, this is not something "we all" do.

Show Content
Look over my post history, if I talk anything close to shit I'll do it publicly. It also helps that I don't really talk to anyone here outside of the forum itself.

Yeah dawg that's what I'm saying, if you make call outs publicly, I'm pretty sure you make em privately. Everyone complains about something in privacy even the most openly vocal, regardless of your association.

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - T'caska Khevo - 05-13-2015

Simply put, I think its sad if someone feels the need to run off and post anywhere about an issue they are having with someone or a group of someones.

A lot of us here take this game and our RP seriously but when it gets to the point that you start digging into the nasty parts of yourself to intentionally be mean to someone over internet, you need to stop and take a look at yourself.

Bad shit happens in real life all the time and a lot of us escape that real life to forget about it for a moment. Don't add bad shit to world we escape to. Something got you pissed off or down? Talk to someone IRL about it or go punch a wall for a bit. Don't hide behind freedom of speech just so you can make someone else look bad or feel bad.

Spread some love around or shut the hell up if you don't have any to spread.

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - shotgunbadger - 05-13-2015

No it's really not the same at all to say 'hey someone who's acting abusive, you're a dick'. That's like the dumb 'if someone starts a fight with you and you fight back you're both equally in trouble' school stuff, sure in the grand cosmic scheme you'd probably be the better person if you just ignored people like that but if you say 'man fuck you then' to someone being abusive the abusive person is still 100% the dick in that situation.

Like, I have no clue what spurred this so maybe I'm wrong and this is a vast plot to silence dissidents in the world's lamest dictatorial power grab or something but the principle of 'if you act like a dick behind our backs and we bust you we're not gonna forget that you're a dick just because you did it in a different place' is fairly reasonable.

They 100% have the right to say whatever they want on Tumblr or whatever sparked this, but as RPC is not the government (again unless the lamest dictatorial power grab happened in which case bow to your new Lala overlords) nor their employer or any other position of power over them, the RPC staff also 100% has the right to say 'you're a dick, you're probably not welcome here if you're a dick'. Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence.

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - OttoVann - 05-13-2015

Hell yeah I'm bashing people who go on tumblr and act like savages about the FFXIV RP/RPC community, or at least 'poison the well' and expect no consequence. Damn straight I want to demean it. People should shun that sort of behavior, preferably in game, so it dies off.

By the way, I'm not talking about like diary entries, or you saw some rp that you thought was kind of bad and commented on it. I'm talking about witch-hunt fueling (and hoping to start) diatribes and just straight inhumane nastiness. These same people that act the fool then come here like its no problem that they are actively trying to make the world (or this place, and the world we rp in) a more negative place. They should be slapped, but since we can't have that, they should be ignored by people and avoided. That's my take and you won't here my apologize for it.

Whats your point? That they somehow have equal footing compared to me? Please. Why are you trying to conflate me with them?

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - Melodia - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 09:22 AM)T Wrote: Spread some love around or shut the hell up if you don't have any to spread.

This. 'Nuff said.

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - Warren Castille - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 09:22 AM)Tcaska Khevo Wrote: A lot of us here take this game and our RP seriously but when it gets to the point that you start digging into the nasty parts of yourself to intentionally be mean to someone over internet, you need to stop and take a look at yourself.

The people who need to heed this the most are the same sorts of people to think it doesn't apply to them.

"I'm justified! This guy deserves it!"

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - ProvaDiServo - 05-13-2015

I just wanna know why all the sudden this has become a major issue?

Like real life, there are some places on the web were shit just aint friendly and you gotta roll the windows up and slouch down behind the wheel as you pass by.

This isn't a new thing, and it's not going to go away because it hurts feelings, you know?

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - Alothia - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 09:41 AM)ProvaDiServo Wrote: I just wanna know why all the sudden this has become a major issue?

Like real life, there are some places on the web were shit just aint friendly and you gotta roll the windows up and slouch down behind the wheel as you pass by.

This isn't a new thing, and it's not going to go away because it hurts feelings, you know?

I think that the reason it has become a thing is because recently, there has been an overabundance of negativity in the FFXIV tumblr community. I have my tumblr. I see the negativity. It's there. I don't talk about it with anyone outside of my FC, because I don't feel it's my place. But I certainly take note of it. And I think it's a shame.

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - LiadansWhisper - 05-13-2015

Welcome to the internet (and to RP in general).

Where is that picture...

[Image: 215499488_8pSZr-1050x10000.jpg]

Thumbsup

With that said, there are hypocrites everywhere, including in the RP community.  It's not confined to tumblr, or any other social media platform.  It's in your social circles, your job community, your schools.  Some people simply have multiple faces - one they show to you when facing you, another they show to others when your back is turned, etc.  The only difference I've ever seen is that, in general, role-players tend to be a bit more passive aggressive about it than other groups of people.

That said, if someone is harassing you, there are options.  And no, saying they think you suck is not "harassment."  That's just an opinion, man.  But if you are actually being harassed, report the harassment to the owners of wherever it's posted (if online) or the police (if via phone, texts, or emails).  It may take you making repeated reports for anything of note to happen, because most companies (and even the police) tend to err on the side of caution.

If you're concerned with someone slandering/libeling you, that is a whole other kettle of fish.  In the US, at least, it is considered a purely Civil matter, which means that you're probably going to have to take it to court to do anything about it (which is expensive).

Or, you can suck it up, shake your head, and move on.  The people who matter won't believe the lies.  The people who do believe the lies don't matter.

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 09:41 AM)ProvaDiServo Wrote: I just wanna know why all the sudden this has become a major issue?

I think it's because a of a recent influx of people trying to say "this is my personal blog/diary/journal" to get away with "PSA: I THINK THIS PERSON IS BAD AND EVERYONE SHOULD HATE AND AVOID THAT PERSON TOO!" posts. ...it's not a personal piece of writing when it's literally being used to promote negative behavior. ...We're all adults (or close enough in the border cases) to know how to be respectable people. I don't see the need to publicly post something that will be forever indexed and searchable (by let's just say Google for speed) forever.

The internet archives everything. One of the things the university I attended preached was that social media was effectively a digital tattoo. Let's be respectful and work on solving issues, everyone (that reads this). I'd like to think we're above having to "vagueblog" or "call someone out without saying their name, but they'll totally know it's for them".

Moving on to stay positive is a good step. But it also requires acknowledging whatever negative things might have happened and the intentions behind them. Good intentions and lead to bad actions. Bad intentions can look like good actions, in just the right light.

Like the first rule of the RPC, let's be excellent to each other here and elsewhere.

RE: If you can't be nice to people outside the RPC, you don't belong on the RPC. - Askier - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 09:26 AM)OttoVann Wrote: Hell yeah I'm bashing people who go on tumblr and act like savages . . .

Whats your point?  That they somehow have equal footing compared to me?  Please.  Why are you trying to conflate me with them?
Well. Yes. You just called them savages. 

From my perspective, no matter what they said, you just made yourself like them by demeaning them with that insulting word.

They are humans just like you and me. And certainly not agreeing with them is allowed. But to attack back just keeps the cycle going.