Hydaelyn Role-Players
So I Finally Transferred to Balmung... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: So I Finally Transferred to Balmung... (/showthread.php?tid=11616)

So I Finally Transferred to Balmung... - KHMarie - 05-14-2015

I've been really excited about eventually transferring to Balmung to take part in the RP, and I finally got the money to do it today.

My biggest problem now is, I don't really know where to start ehehe. It's been so long since I've taken part in such involved RP, is there somewhere I should go to get started? 

Any help would be really appreciated Big Grin

RE: So I Finally Transferred to Balmung... - Ciel - 05-14-2015

Welcome to Balmung.  Probably the easiest way to dip your toe in is to hang around some of the taverns in the three main cities. Of the three, the Quicksand in Balmung is the most active, but people seem to be fanning out more recently, and RP has been popping up in Gridania and Limsa from time to time.

Check peoples' search messages and see who's ok to receive walk-up RP and go for it, or set your own search message to show you're open to it, and hopefully you'll get a bite.  It's better to be proactive though.

Also look for any established RP FCs and LSes on the server.  You can find a list of linkshells of varying RP flavors and purposes on here by hitting the Linkshells link at the top of the forum page.

RE: So I Finally Transferred to Balmung... - Kurt S. - 05-14-2015

Quicksand is probably the launch pad if you're adventurous enough to just grab random people ICly. I've met a few good contacts there to be honest!

RE: So I Finally Transferred to Balmung... - Nebbs - 05-15-2015

Depends what you want, definitely the Quicksands is the main gathering point and with that is good and bad. If you can filter what you want give it a go. also just keep an eye out around, many people are IC and you can pick up some RP if you do likewise and make an approach.

I would get to the Linkshell section of this forum and check out Linkshells and Free Companies that appeal to you. Most should be active as the forum staff check that sort of thing.

And you can always post here for contacts.

RP is alive, varied and abundant if you know where to find it.

RE: So I Finally Transferred to Balmung... - Jonexe - 05-15-2015

You can also use the Calendar and Balmung Events sections to find when the big RP events are going and join in. The HoD weekly tavern and Grindstone are an excellent place to find a wide variety of folks to start some walk-up RP with. Events also give you the benefit of something to talk about without feeling like you're "butting in" on someone else's RP.

RE: So I Finally Transferred to Balmung... - Steel Wolf - 05-17-2015

I'd avoid the Quicksand, if only because it's so damned noisome that it'd be more of a distraction than a help.

I'll echo the suggestion of going to the Calendar section and finding an event that you think your character would attend and seeing if you can get yourself out there that way. It's what I've done and it helped launch things. Not into the stratosphere, necessarily, but it helped.

RE: So I Finally Transferred to Balmung... - OttoVann - 05-19-2015

Be warned if you head to the quicksand, especially as a female, people will come to you seeking lewd rp exclusively for a while. I sometimes run around the quicksand on my wifes account absent mindedly, speaking to a friend for a moment, repair her stuff and maybe change her elezens hair style to try new stuff - and her characters gets swarmed. Hard. Granted its smokin hot so take it as you will.

If you like erp, the quicksand is FOR YOU. With that said Im not trying to be a debbie downer, you will find a lot of cool people there. I met a one Coatleque Crofte there, we became friends, and a lot of others actually. Lately as time has gone on I think the Quicksand has gone downhill a bit but you can still make friends.

Sometimes just doing something as benign as using Party Finder with a "RP WANTED" ad or just using /shout to ask "wanna rp in the inn at gridania?" might even be enough.

RE: So I Finally Transferred to Balmung... - TigerSpirit - 05-19-2015

I run around on my Highlander female character (Nenith Estra) in the Quicksand and never get harassed. Then again, she is dark skinned with bright hair and black lipstick...I guess that attracts a specific crowd. CoolCactuar

RE: So I Finally Transferred to Balmung... - KHMarie - 05-19-2015

I really appreciate everyone giving me their advice, thankfully a nice fellow that also browses this forum picked me up very recently for his RP group, so thankfully I now have a place to be. Thank you guys again for your suggestions, I had originally went to Quicksand with little to no luck, but I wasn't alone for very long.