Hydaelyn Role-Players
Rant about Slander - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Rant about Slander (/showthread.php?tid=11670)

Pages: 1 2

Rant about Slander - Zetchryn - 05-18-2015

Just... Just... Ugh. If someone is going to remove another as a friend on everything and block them, and then start slandering them to everyone they know...

Don't. Just please, that's one of the most immature and hurtful things I can think of. Has anyone else had this problem? No names, please.

RE: Rant about Slander - Kage - 05-18-2015

Yes. It [slander/libel] happens in vague blogging or linkshells or blatantly in blogs. I've seen it happen to people in this very community and -from- this very community.

Not on the RPC because of the no-shame and name rules but yes.

RE: Rant about Slander - OttoVann - 05-18-2015

People all the time trying to call me a creep ooc and stuff when I'm pretty far from it. Trashy hoes mostly.

Let the haters do as they will op, your actions will speak louder.

RE: Rant about Slander - Maril - 05-18-2015

Yep. Not here, but yep. I'm very aware of it, but I try not to let it get to me.

RE: Rant about Slander - Nebbs - 05-18-2015

It happens in life, it will happen other places. What is laughable is how 3rd hand slander is so hyped up and wrong yet people seem to think it is true. Some of the things people have said about me made me laugh.

However, don't give it any airtime. In a LS I started we take people on their own intentions, not what anyone else says. Don't listen to what others say, at least give someone a chance by getting to know them, you will be surprised how wrong first impressions can be.

RE: Rant about Slander - GloryRhodes - 05-18-2015

Remember, technically speaking it's not slander if it's true.

RE: Rant about Slander - McBeefâ„¢ - 05-18-2015

(05-18-2015, 12:52 PM)GloryRhodes Wrote: Remember, technically speaking it's not slander if it's true.

Also if it's written, technically it's libel.

RE: Rant about Slander - Rila - 05-18-2015

In situations like that, the person slandering says more about themselves than they do about whomever they're badmouthing.

Friendships fall apart sometimes, and the emotional aftermath of that sucks. For me, that's a time to self-reflect, and I may not always like what I see. Almost always I wind up with a list of things I could have done better. But as much as it hurts not only to mourn the loss of a connection but to face my own shortcomings, it's also a great opportunity to learn something about myself and grow up a little bit.

People who put all the blame on others and take no responsibility themselves don't easily mature. And to me, that's a person to be avoided.

RE: Rant about Slander - Alothia - 05-18-2015

Let people talk, it shows more about them than it does about you. Don't let it get you riled up. Because anyone worth their salt isn't going to listen to what other people say.

It's a damned shame that that's how the world works. I try and tell my students that people continue to talk no matter how old they are. You like to think that at some point people grow out of the need to talk about others, but they never do. Better to let them talk and move on than waste your time worrying about what other people say about you.

RE: Rant about Slander - Hammersmith - 05-18-2015

(05-18-2015, 12:55 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(05-18-2015, 12:52 PM)GloryRhodes Wrote: Remember, technically speaking it's not slander if it's true.

[Image: tumblr_n88lpasKof1qgr036o5_r2_250.gif]

With that said: I've had someone try this with me.

Thankfully they were already outed as being a terrible shitlord, so it was laughed off as hilarious by everyone I respected and cared about.

RE: Rant about Slander - Kage - 05-18-2015

Sometimes though, the slander and the libel, may be fact (in which case it's not slander or libel). Some of the talk I've seen is pretty damning about the person being talked about and is -quite- substantiated and true.

I've also seen shittalk that is libel on blogs perpetuated towards people over misunderstandings, miscommunication or even entrapment. People using it to perpetuate a facade or make themselves look the victim and blame someone as a villain as if they were forcing others to bully others out of RP.

Sometimes, that shit needs saying. Sometimes it just needs to be ignored.

RE: Rant about Slander - Alothia - 05-18-2015

(05-18-2015, 01:03 PM)Kage Wrote: Sometimes though, the slander and the libel, may be fact (in which case it's not slander or libel). Some of the talk I've seen is pretty damning about the person being talked about and is -quite- substantiated and true.

I've also seen shittalk that is libel on blogs perpetuated towards people over misunderstandings,  miscommunication or even entrapment. People using it to perpetuate a facade or make themselves look the victim and blame someone as a villain as if they were forcing others to bully others out of RP.

Sometimes, that shit needs saying. Sometimes it just needs to be ignored.

I don't think the shit needs saying like that, though. Sure, you may feel slighted by someone, but feeling the need to go and make ten bazillion tumblr posts talking about it. I don't know.  It's one thing if it's sexual harassment. It's another if someone is just kinda a jerk. Like, warn people on an individual basis. 

But that's just my take on it all. I've seen a lot of both, and really, the only one I can get behind is if it's someone who is sexually harassing and preying on people. Not just general asshattery.

RE: Rant about Slander - Edvyn - 05-18-2015

Show Content

Mod Note: User was warned for this post under Section 1 of the rules: Spurious off-topic posts, including meme images and patent nonsense.

RE: Rant about Slander - Nebbs - 05-18-2015

(05-18-2015, 12:56 PM)Rila Wrote: In situations like that, the person slandering says more about themselves than they do about whomever they're badmouthing.

Friendships fall apart sometimes, and the emotional aftermath of that sucks. For me, that's a time to self-reflect, and I may not always like what I see. Almost always I wind up with a list of things I could have done better. But as much as it hurts not only to mourn the loss of a connection but to face my own shortcomings, it's also a great opportunity to learn something about myself and grow up a little bit.

People who put all the blame on others and take no responsibility themselves don't easily mature. And to me, that's a person to be avoided.

^^ So much this.. so much

RE: Rant about Slander - Rising - 05-18-2015

(05-18-2015, 12:55 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:

Don't forget that 'truth' can be very dependent on perspective. Text, especially when emotions are involved, is a terrible form of communication. You can't hear tone, see body language, or any other number of indicators. Without someone specifying, how do you know that what they are saying is the stone cold facts, or just a rant and them letting off steam?

Fact: "I hate this character! I'm going to kill him off and reroll." Pretty simple. Not going to play this char again. I think this means the same to both the speaker and the hearer.

Rant: "I hate this character! I'm going to kill him off and reroll." Not so simple. More like a frustrated and discouraged player that will likely work at the character once they've cooled off. Something the speaker takes for granted but not necessarily the hearer.

So, if the player continues to play the character, the hearer will think they lied and the speaker probably hasn't thought a thing beyond the rant. So what is truth?

Point of View has a lot to do with things.

Quote:Obi-Wan: Your father... was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and "became" Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view.