Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] Tiger Tribe (Ni) in need of members - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Making Connections (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: [Balmung] Tiger Tribe (Ni) in need of members (/showthread.php?tid=11812)

Pages: 1 2

Tiger Tribe (Ni) in need of members - Nikaj - 05-29-2015

First off, I apologize if someone has already claimed 'Tiger' or 'Ni'. >_<

I've started an up-and-coming tribe for my character, Ni'Khaj Tia, as he was treated poorly in his former tribe and wishes to create a safe, fair, just family for Seekers. It's still in the early stages of creation, but I'd like it to be a group effort. Everyone who decides to join will have a say in the direction of the tribe.

Join us if you are/want to be:
  • A tribe-less Seeker in need of a safe home
  • From Ni'Khaj's old tribe and share his views (you and Khaj would have a previous relationship/be acquainted with one another)
  • One of Ni'Khaj's 5 children (3 boys, 2 girls. 1 boy and 1 girl position already filled. [He was a nunh in his old tribe.])
  • Currently in a tribe you'd like to leave
Or other reasons! I'm very open to any and all tips, questions, ideas and suggestions! Feel free to message me on this website, in-game, or on my tumblr: nik-the-cleric.tumblr.com.

Happy RPing!

RE: Tiger Tribe (Ni) in need of members - Knight Kat - 05-29-2015

As someone who has successfully established a group like this, but in a Keeper of the Moon fashion, I can offer you advice if you are serious and dedicated to this idea. I like the idea, and think you should totally go for it.

However, you -must- be ready to be -very- dedicated to it. IME this kind of thing is no walk in the park, but it -can- be done.

Advice from my experience:
  • Do not focus so much on the breeding traditions of the tribe.
  • Do not worry so much about getting a Nunh(s) right away.
  • Set up a linkshell (or FC) for the tribe.
  • Make a Linkshell Hall Profile page on this site.
  • OOCly and ICly make choices with a council of trusted members.
  • Do not define traditions so strictly until you have a council.
  • Set up a weekly tribe event as soon as possible.
  • Do not try to expect characters to perfectly fill a mold.
  • Be accepting of characters who deviate slightly from the traditions.
  • Whichever characters ICly lead must be ICly reasonable.
  • Know when to OOCly take control of things, and move things along.
  • Allow characters to develop their own stories, but do not let any one character control the tribe's story.
  • Be patient and persistent.

I know it's a long list, but these are all things I have had to learn the hard way. I will elaborate on a few.

1> One nasty stereotype of Miqo'te groups is they are breeding-centric. Especially Seeker tribes. Break this stereotype. Make breeding tradition and choosing of Nunh something that is last to be developed. Maybe even keep breeding an undefined thing open to each individual's personal choice.

I know, Seeker tribes need Nunhs, but anyone who plays Nunh of the tribe must be one Hell of a good RPer to pull it off well. The Nunh should -not- lead. The Nunh should not expect, nor anticipate getting a harem of player-characters. The Nunh should be a more developed character that has a deep story beyond just being a "breeding male". He needs to seem like he truly deserves the title. Maybe even consider making the tribe's Nunh an NPC at first.

2> My FC, which is a group of Keepers, we have a weekly Story Night that has become very popular. It's a simple, easy event that isn't hard to organize, but has gotten us attention and activity at least once a week. Establishing a simple event for your tribe will be important.

3> Many players don't often like to play a character made from a strict "lore mold". I'm sure you'll get Seekers interested in your tribe, but many may have something that slightly deviates from the typical Tribal Seeker mold. Give them a try anyways. They may fit better than you think.

4> The only Seeker tribe shown in-game has a Nunh leader, but game lore clearly states that Nunh are not always the tribe's leaders. I think a council would work well for a Seeker tribe. It's easier on the OOC leader, it's fairer for the members and it will make your tribe look more attractive to those who may wish to join.

That is all I can think of for now, and I hope my advice at least provides food for thought. I wish you luck with this. You will hit hurdles, and some will try to discourage you. Don't give up if you are serious about this.

RE: Tiger Tribe (Ni) in need of members - Nikaj - 05-29-2015

Ah! such good advice! Thank you so much, I'll certainly heed it! The breeding aspect especially. One of the main reasons Khaj left his former tribe was because of the barbaric breeding practices and horrible treatment of females.

Khaj is the leader, and not a nunh. He's had enough of that, lol. As I mentioned, I really want this to be a group effort, so I like the idea of a council. As this tribe is meant for 'outcasts', so to speak, I very much encourage people to be creative with their characters.

I don't have many takers yet, unfortunately, but i have opened a LS for this. If I get many people I might try a FC.

Again, thanks so much for your input, it's been very helpful! \o/

RE: Tiger Tribe (Ni) in need of members - C'kayah Polaali - 05-30-2015

(05-29-2015, 09:45 AM)Knight Kat Wrote: I know, Seeker tribes need Nunhs, but anyone who plays Nunh of the tribe must be one Hell of a good RPer to pull it off well. The Nunh should -not- lead. The Nunh should not expect, nor anticipate getting a harem of player-characters. The Nunh should be a more developed character that has a deep story beyond just being a "breeding male". He needs to seem like he truly deserves the title. Maybe even consider making the tribe's Nunh an NPC at first.

(05-29-2015, 09:45 AM)Knight Kat Wrote: 4> The only Seeker tribe shown in-game has a Nunh leader, but game lore clearly states that Nunh are not always the tribe's leaders. I think a council would work well for a Seeker tribe. It's easier on the OOC leader, it's fairer for the members and it will make your tribe look more attractive to those who may wish to join.

This, really. I love that, too, when you go to meet the U-tribe Nunh, he's basically spends all his time worrying about the future of his tribe. Not the player-stereotype of a Nunh.

Before I started playing, a bunch of C-tribe RPers worked out a very comprehensive precis on one branch of the C-tribe. One of the things they did was specify the leadership structure, which included a Jali (spiritual leader) and a council of elders (who made the day-to-day decisions about the tribe). I suspect they did that for exactly the same reasons that Kiht mentioned.

I'd love to hear how this goes, and possibly RP with you guys as it gets up and running. C'kayah runs a smuggling import/export business, so RP around trade contacts could be a lot of fun.

RE: Tiger Tribe (Ni) in need of members - Edgar - 05-30-2015

May I please, please get this out of my system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTQfGd3G6dg

Thank you.

RE: Tiger Tribe (Ni) in need of members - Nikaj - 05-30-2015

XD I KNEW someone was gonna bring up Monty Python. I freaking love it. That's not what I had in mind with the Ni though... >3> More I just...already had the name when I came up with the tribe...

I like the idea of an NPC nunh. At least at first. The few custom tribes I've interacted with have...basically just been big ERP groups under the guise of nunhs. I don't have anything against ERP but I want this tribe to have a bit more to it. >3>

RE: Tiger Tribe (Ni) in need of members - Nikaj - 06-06-2015

Shameless self-bump... ._.

RE: Tiger Tribe (Ni) in need of members - cstcrs - 06-09-2015

Any luck with the tribe?

RE: Tiger Tribe (Ni) in need of members - Nikaj - 06-09-2015

(06-09-2015, 10:52 PM)cstcrs Wrote: Any luck with the tribe?
Yes! ^-^ We have about 7 members so far. I'd like to make a FC, but I'm not sure how well that would work with so few people. I hope to arrange an IC meeting soon.

I've also decided to open up the LS to more than just those actually in the tribe; supporters, mains of the tribe alts, etc. 

Hopefully more people will join! <3

RE: Tiger Tribe (Ni) in need of members - Knight Kat - 06-11-2015

(06-09-2015, 11:13 PM)Nikaj Wrote: Yes! ^-^ We have about 7 members so far. I'd like to make a FC, but I'm not sure how well that would work with so few people. I hope to arrange an IC meeting soon.

I've also decided to open up the LS to more than just those actually in the tribe; supporters, mains of the tribe alts, etc. 

Hopefully more people will join! <3

This is awesome to see!

Just wanted to add that my FC started with about 7 people too. It grew from there. We keep an LS for the same thing you are using it for.

Out of curiosity, where is your tribe located in-game? Do you have a sort of "home-site"?

RE: Tiger Tribe (Ni) in need of members - monored - 06-11-2015

(05-29-2015, 08:14 AM)Nikaj Wrote: I've started an up-and-coming tribe for my character, Ni'Khaj Tia, as he was treated poorly in his former tribe and wishes to create a safe, fair, just family for Seekers. It's still in the early stages of creation, but I'd like it to be a group effort. Everyone who decides to join will have a say in the direction of the tribe.

So, I've stumbled upon this and you have my interest. Let me start off with a bit about me....I'm new. Like NEW new to the game, playing about a week. So new that I'm still working on getting into Balmung. But getting in early with a developing group, and learning every step just sounds so good to me right now. I'd really like to see how things are done, plus it could make for some neat RP.

(05-29-2015, 08:14 AM)Nikaj Wrote:
  • One of Ni'Khaj's 5 children (3 boys, 2 girls. 1 boy and 1 girl position already filled. [He was a nunh in his old tribe.])

If you're willing to take someone and guide them up IC and some OOC as I learn the game. If you have kids you have to be willing to help them grow at least a little right? Tongue

Anyways, shoot me a message and maybe we can figure something out (maybe even before I even get into the game, then I can at least use conventional naming techniques that I've read a bit about Big Grin)

RE: Tiger Tribe (Ni) in need of members - OttoVann - 06-11-2015

How does a highlander bro get honorary member status

RE: Tiger Tribe (Ni) in need of members - Arter Wood - 06-11-2015

(06-11-2015, 08:24 PM)OttoVann Wrote: How does a highlander bro get honorary member status
Glue on cat ears, a tail and vehemently deny anyone that says you're not a miqo'te. I dunno.

RE: Tiger Tribe (Ni) in need of members - C'io Behkt - 06-16-2015

Have space on the honorary list for a Coeurl triber who left her people's vault for similar reasons to Khaj's? Not truly for the tribe, as she's still spiritually attached to her totem animal and the traditions she believes in, but as someone who shares Khaj's views and sense of subversion. I just really need to forge more links with fellow miqo'te who won't emphasise in roleplay utterly problematic interpretations of breeding traditions.

Plus C'io delivers mail. A tribe needs to be part of the post network! She also mends fences.

RE: Tiger Tribe (Ni) in need of members - Meena - 06-16-2015

I want to post a little criticism on what other players have said about 'barbaric' practices.

In my own personal opinion the way the clan procreates is not barbaric in any sense of the word, sure it is different from our normalised western view of society but one has to remember that with a gender difference (lore wise) in a race like miqo'te it would become standard practice.

In many polynesian and even other cultures men were allowed multiple wives to sustain the population of the tribe due to the fact that one woman can only really have 1 child every year or so, where as one man can impregnate multiple woman in the same year.

What I find barbaric is the slandering and discrimination against the flavourful lore placed in the game for us to enjoy. There is no record in the U' tribe that breeding is cruel or abusive to the female, it is set up like a doctors appointment would be and is the duty of the female for the survival of her peoples.

The Nunh in a seeker clan is believed to be a spiritual and tribal leader in this regard and often will do whatever it takes for his tribe to remain strong - i.e. Kick out weak huntresses, etc. 

It is my firm belief that to play a traditional miqote you need to be able to set aside your own personal cultural beliefs to experience something new.