Hydaelyn Role-Players
Typical Elezen Life Spans? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Typical Elezen Life Spans? (/showthread.php?tid=11946)

Pages: 1 2

Typical Elezen Life Spans? - xypher - 06-07-2015

Not sure if this has been discussed in any length, but is there even a very loose perspective on how long Elezens typically live for? All I know is that they outlive Hyurians (which I'm assuming follows typical human lifespans) so would that put them around 100 years? Or am I totally off the marker here?

I have so much lore I need to read that I'm ashamed of myself right now honestly. Dazed

RE: Typical Elezen Life Spans? - Rahal - 06-07-2015

The Lore Panel at the 2014 Las Vegas Fanfest confirmed that all races live to be about the same age.

RE: Typical Elezen Life Spans? - Bryn - 06-07-2015

Too long.

RE: Typical Elezen Life Spans? - Virella - 06-07-2015

(06-07-2015, 01:49 PM)Rahal Wrote: The Lore Panel at the 2014 Las Vegas Fanfest confirmed that all races live to be about the same age.
False.

Elezen live a little bit longer. Only for about 10 years or so though. It isn't as outrageous as in other settings.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/sp/world/races/elezen/

They are also possessed of a somewhat extended lifespan in comparison to the Hyur.

It does not define how long that is. Given how deadly Eorzea is that can be a year or two

To paraphrease the Lord panel at the Vegas fanfest, Eorzea is a dangerous world. a family can go from "Daddy's going to pick an ogre Pumpkin" to "Opps! Daddy got eaten by a Raptor!" to "Guess we don't eat again!" very quickly. IIRC Micheal Christopher Koji Fox pretty much started that not many people live past 30 in Eorzea

[youtube]SvNpO4gy_Tg[/youtube]

I'd rather trust Developer word of mouth then a bunch of info that hasn't been updated since 1.0 Beta.

RE: Typical Elezen Life Spans? - xypher - 06-07-2015

(06-07-2015, 02:13 PM)Rahal Wrote: It does not define how long that is. Given how deadly Eorzea is that can be a year or two

To paraphrease the Lord panel at the Vegas fanfest, Eorzea is a dangerous world. a family can go from "Daddy's going to pick an ogre Pumpkin" to "Opps! Daddy got eaten by a Raptor!" to "Guess we don't eat again!" very quickly. IIRC Micheal Christopher Koji Fox pretty much started that not many people live past 30 in Eorzea

[video snip!]

I'd rather trust Developer word of mouth then a bunch of info that hasn't been updated since 1.0 Beta.

Whoops! Probably should have phrased that better. I meant to ask this disregarding dangers and such. Like if someone somehow miraculously lived a peaceful life, how long could they live before they keeled over from old age?

Though this is also really good info too, so thanks for that! Big Grin

Basically the simple answer: it's not clearly defined but everyone generally lives about the same natural lifespan. Throw in things like Thaumaturgy and Alchemy though and you can see some pretty long lived people.

(06-07-2015, 02:23 PM)Rahal Wrote: Basically the simple answer: it's not clearly defined but everyone generally lives about the same natural lifespan. Throw in things like Thaumaturgy and Alchemy though and you can see some pretty long lived people.

Ah, okay! I was just curious so that I didn't rush in and give my Elezen and his family absurd ages and subsequently look like an idiot for doing so.

RE: Typical Elezen Life Spans? - Kage - 06-07-2015

Well the answer given at the lore panel was essentially "they all live to be about the same age but Elezen live a little longer because their childhood is a little longer."

There was no specification.

Age scales? How long do they live?
-five races biologically live similar life spans as real world. 100-120 possible. But because Eorzea is so harsh, it’s much less likely for someone to live out their full life expectancy. BLM lalafell IS an exception to the rule. Elezen have slightly extended lifespan from other FOUR races. Childhood for elezen lasts longer than others.

(06-07-2015, 02:46 PM)Kage Wrote: Well the answer given at the lore panel was essentially "they all live to be about the same age but Elezen live a little longer because their childhood is a little longer."

-five races biologically live similar life spans as real world. 100-120 possible. But because Eorzea is so harsh, it’s much less likely for someone to live out their full life expectancy. BLM lalafell IS an exception to the rule. Elezen have slightly extended lifespan from other FOUR races. Childhood for elezen lasts longer than others.

Sounds fair enough. Just figured I'd ask to ensure I didn't overlook something important. So I guess I just need to do a bit of guesswork and factor in all the potential dangers/hazards and go from there. Tongue

RE: Typical Elezen Life Spans? - Virella - 06-07-2015

(06-07-2015, 02:46 PM)Kage Wrote: Well the answer given at the lore panel was essentially "they all live to be about the same age but Elezen live a little longer because their childhood is a little longer."

Out of interest, you got source for that? I never heard about childhood stuff, I'm interested into reading more onto it!

(06-07-2015, 02:58 PM)Virella Douront Wrote:

Out of interest, you got source for that? I never heard about childhood stuff, I'm interested into reading more onto it!

I second this!

I remember them joking about locking up kids somewhere safe at the lore panel because of how dangerous Eorzea is

RE: Typical Elezen Life Spans? - Sounsyy - 06-07-2015

(06-07-2015, 03:05 PM)xypher Wrote:
(06-07-2015, 02:58 PM)Virella Douront Wrote:

I second this!

This info was from the Las Vegas Lore Panel.

Quote:Q: What are the age scales of every race? How long do they live and how long does it take them to become an adult?

Fernehalwes: Okay, yeah I asked about this and I was told that age-scale wise the five races biologically they can live about- they have the same lifespan as we do here on earth. They can live one hundred, one hundred and twenty biologically. The thing is, here we have modern medicine, we have jobs that don't take us on to the battlefield, we have food in refrigerators not sitting in a barrel. And so we can live that long, whereas, in Eorzea its a much harsher realm. I mean you've got raptors roaming the jungle. "I need to go out and pick an ogre pumpkin!" "Oh sorry, daddy got eaten by a raptor as he was picking our dinner pumpkin so it looks like we're having nothing for dinner tonight." And so daddy dies of raptor and children die of starvation because they couldn't get the pumpkin.

On top of that you have wars and people are fighting Ishgard, I wouldn't expect most people would live longer than like thirty years. That's the thing, so you get an average lifespan that is a lot shorter, y'know in the forties, fifties. I mean there was the one quest about, back in 1.0... there was the Lalafell that was put in the Oubliette in Ul'dah, and he was in there praying and because he was this zen thing and he focused and he slowed his breathing and he lived for hundreds of years or whatever. Other than that people aren't going to live that long.

That said, Elezen actually do have a longer lifespan than the other four races. And this also appears in the- when they go from child to puberty to adulthood. So which is why you'll see in the- in 1.0 there was a bunch of Elezen children that appeared in some of the quests and they appear again in 2.0, and they're still children. And you think well it's been five years why are they still children? It's because again that childhood for Elezen can last much longer. And they end up living longer as well. Um, but for the most part it's pretty much just the same as us, but with more... fatality.

With all this info, I can't help but wonder about Garlean lifespans considering all the technology they seem to possess. It's slightly off topic, but I do still wanna think about it. I also apologize if I sound like a downright idiot.