Hydaelyn Role-Players
Yo! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Yo! (/showthread.php?tid=11965)

Yo! - mykepwnage - 06-08-2015

Hello!  I'm very new to the game (just started playing last week) and was able to roll up a char on Balmung this morning, which my research told me is the unofficial RP server!  I'm not new RP by any means though: started with AD&D 2nd ed, and have played all editions cept 5e, joined and ran a couple of RP ezBoards, even played a fair bit of WoW, currently playing a few games of PbP D&D at Myth Weavers.

There, with obligatory introduction over, I've got a couple of questions Smile

1.  I didn't see anything in the forum rules (written or unwritten) about your forum account being IC or not.  I'm hoping that's not the case, as I've always had a serious case of altitis and would feel weird if I joined any RP here as my current main.

2.  Could you share any links towards some of the world lore, both canon from SE and also generally accepted/established lore that has been created by the RP community?  It's hard to fully flesh out my character ideas when I know so little about the world...

I'm making my way through http://ffxiv.gamepedia.com/Lore, and when I'm done it I'll look for more, but would prefer to get to the 'recommended' reading ASAP.

3.  I love me some RP-PvP.  It was hard to find dedicated RP-PvP guilds in WoW, and I'm suspecting it might be even harder here?  I don't just mean FCs that RP and also do PVP, but like, FCs that exist/pursue the PvP, for their IC purpose (looks like there's an arena/fun/sport mode, so no hard feelings - but then frontlines, serving the GCs?)

4.  Just curious here, but why do so many FCs not 'focus' on Guildhests?  I played on another server till today and noticed that almost all of the FCs profile pages say they didn't focus on RP or PVP (understandable) but also the Guildhests.  That confused me, couldn't understand why.  Is there something lame/not worth it about them?

Thanks for your time!  Looking forward to some good ol' RP with y'all!

RE: Yo! - Maril - 06-08-2015

Welcome aboard Smile

RE: Yo! - mykepwnage - 06-08-2015

Ah, didn't see your template lol.  Lemme fill that out.

MMORPG background - Horizons, WoW
RP experience: Lots.  AD&D 2nd Ed to 4e, WoD, ezBoards, Horizons, WoW
Character ideas/info:  Would like to try and mold the core concepts/traits of one of my old chars into Highlander who will end up going Paladin.  Will probably definitely bring in other characters as the inspiration strikes me, or the desire to play another class comes up Smile
How did you learn about the coalition?  googled "ffxiv role play" lol
What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?  
Oh heavy for sure...  gotta get dat absurd immersion!
Anything from real life you'€™re comfortable with sharing?  Nah, don't worry about me Wink

RE: Yo! - Sounsyy - 06-08-2015

Welcome to the RPC and Eorzea! If you have any specific lore questions feel free to ask!

RE: Yo! - Rahal - 06-08-2015

Welcome.

Also to answer the Guldhest query, they serve more as tutorial fights that introduce players to new mechanics and concepts. The reason why guilds don't focus on them is that there's none past Lv40.

RE: Yo! - Mountie - 06-08-2015

(06-08-2015, 01:52 PM)mykepwnage Wrote: Ah, didn't see your template lol.  Lemme fill that out.

MMORPG background - Horizons, WoW
RP experience: Lots.  AD&D 2nd Ed to 4e, WoD, ezBoards, Horizons, WoW
Character ideas/info:  Would like to try and mold the core concepts/traits of one of my old chars into Highlander who will end up going Paladin.  Will probably definitely bring in other characters as the inspiration strikes me, or the desire to play another class comes up Smile
How did you learn about the coalition?  googled "ffxiv role play" lol
What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?  
Oh heavy for sure...  gotta get dat absurd immersion!
Anything from real life you'€™re comfortable with sharing?  Nah, don't worry about me Wink
To be fair, the template is merely a suggestion for the shy individuals. Which you do not really strike me as. So no mistake made ol' boy!

We shall get to the questions, but first I must "UGH" at your luck with just falling onto the Balmung server. I myself had to play this out like it was Black Friday Survival Camp and camp out the timers. Then again, I did choose to start playing on a weekend - not by choice, simply that was when I finished my new gaming rig.

1. If the accounts are IC, then we're all in trouble. So much foruth wall breakage. But seriously, no, it is not required. Honestly I do it simply because I remember seeing Warren Castille here on the forums and then I saw him in-game and thought it fascinating to be able to identify individuals from here so easily. Plus I have no intention of alts, so it works for me. However, you're perfectly fine doing it this way as well.

2. I'm certainly not the greatest individual when it comes to this... I know some names, let me dig up some people. Also, just playing the game is great for explaining things as they come up. I've never felt clueless. Minus flying in a light as a naked man and handing some dude a pair of glasses. But I just kind of suppress that awful detail. EDIT: Actually, Sounsyy was the name I was thinking of, and it seems she is already posting here so let the lore questions be free!

3. See now! I was in Alpha Company on SWTOR, and I did so enjoy the RP-PvP. I don't know of any group avidly seeking it myself, but we have a link at the top in a tab marked LINKSHELLS that has information on linkshells and free companies alike. Be sure to sort by Balmung and just have a browse through. The categories are regularly cleaned of the inactive free companies so if you find it, chances are it is still around.

4.  Guildhest... those silly training mission things that I have yet to get past 30? No idea actually, when it comes to FCs/Guilds my knowledge is regrettably lacking.

Regardless, I hope this may have cleared up at least one question... while giving you about three more to ask. I hope to see you online, and best of luck finding the other answers!