Hydaelyn Role-Players
Defining God Mode (Vote) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Defining God Mode (Vote) (/showthread.php?tid=120)

Defining God Mode (Vote) - Kylin - 05-17-2010

Since there have been no responses to my previous post in the discussion thread, I'm assuming all of the submissions for voting are correct. Thus, we need to get this started so we can get the Town Square unlocked soon ^^. Please choose one of the options listed below (or neither if you don't like either). Poll remains open for 7 days.

God mode (OPTION 1)

God-mode (verb) (hyphen optional): To perform In-Character (IC), or attempt to perform IC, actions which are clearly beyond the power of any player character.

---------------

Meet our exemplars, AbsurdlyPowerfulMan, or APM, and UnfortunateGuy, or UG. That pretty much tells you all you need to know about them.

Example1: AbsurdlyPowerfulMan wiggles his pinky finger, causing a flaming crack to open under UnfortunateGuy's feet and convey him directly to a fiery death at the planet's core.

(APM is clearly god-moding. There is simply no means within the game for any player character to do that under any circumstances. And what if the world doesn't actually *have* a flaming core?)

----------

Example2: AbsurdlyPowerfulMan gestures with his right thumb, causing a bolt of lightning to strike UnfortunateGuy and fry him to a crisp.

(Still god mode. APM may very well be a Conjurer capable of tossing lightning bolts around, but UG might very well have survived the blast, depending upon how tough he is, or how resistant he is to lightning. Or maybe UG does, in fact, have tremendously fast reflexes that might allow him to dodge the bolt!)

----------

Example3: AbsurdlyPowerfulMan raises an eyebrow, causing everyone within ten yards to think that UnfortunateGuy has stinky feet.

(Yep, godmode again. APM cannot dictate what other people think or feel. Whether or not UG's feet actually do stink is, of course, another matter entirely.)

----------

Example4: AbsurdlyPowerfulMan waggles his fingers, causing a bolt of lightning to streak forth in UnfortunateGuy's direction.

(Not godmode! At least, not if APM can actually toss a Thunder spell.)

God mode (OPTION 2)

God mode is the tendency to roleplay someone else's character or to say their lines for them. When RPing, one should act and answer for his/herself, and not for the others they are RPing with. It can sometimes be hard, a player may have an idea of where they would like the RP to follow, however, this is the beauty of RPing. One must adapt to whatever comes, whether it was what they were expecting or not.

((Same examples listed in option 1.))

God mode (OPTION 3)

God mode: The act of making one’s character beyond that of the norm in a way that promotes invincibility, immortality, extreme influence, or unnatural powers that interfere with the natural laws of Hydaelyn.

God mode is usually a problem that comes up during role-play conflict, though it appears elsewhere in the role-playing world as well. Do not role-play yourself as the spawn or incarnation of a god. That is god mode. Do not role-play yourself as a being from another world with the power to level cities. That is god mode. Do not role-play yourself as a prince with supreme influence over the nation leaders and their subjects. That is god mode. Do not role-play yourself as being so powerful that you can dodge any and every attack thrown at you constantly. That is god mode. You get the picture, right?

((Same examples listed in option 1.))

Re: Defining God Mode (Vote) - Blade - 05-17-2010

I think that Option #2 should be incorporated into Options #1 and #3, since the definitions of #1 and #3 seem to deal primarily with character's powers in terms of lore, whereas Option #2 is just good RP conduct.

For example, from the definition of Option #1, I could argue that it is well within my character's power to be able to stab another, in terms of lore. "actions which are clearly beyond the power of any player character" is sort of a broad statement, it assumes whoever is reading the rule has some know-how as to how RP works and that your 'powers' are not just what you can do by lore, but what you can do in interactions with other RPers. It's an area of confusion that I've run into with other RP groups in the past. The examples given explain it better though but I think it might be good for it to be clarified in the definition as well, particularly since the examples given all have APM doing some very minor physical action with enormous consequences to UG.

But those are just my two cents, for now I think I'll go for Option #3. I like Option #1's simplicity a lot and maybe it should be included as a 'short definition' but I like the examples given as part of the definition in Option #3.

Re: Defining God Mode (Vote) - Nanapariri - 05-20-2010

Cast, after reading the above again I have to agree with Avina. There are 2 aspects to God Mode and if one aspect is ignored in out offical definition I think that it would be short sighted.

Therefore I vote for definition #1 be added to the defintion of whichever option, #2 or #3, is chosen.

For the record here is how I vote ( #1 and #3 together):

God-mode (verb) (hyphen optional):

1)To perform In-Character (IC), or attempt to perform IC, actions which are clearly beyond the power of any player character.

2)The tendency to roleplay someone else's character or to say their lines for them. When RPing, one should act and answer for his/herself, and not for the others they are RPing with. It can sometimes be hard, a player may have an idea of where they would like the RP to follow, however, this is the beauty of RPing. One must adapt to whatever comes, whether it was what they were expecting or not.

---------------

Meet our exemplars, AbsurdlyPowerfulMan, or APM, and UnfortunateGuy, or UG. That pretty much tells you all you need to know about them.

Example1: AbsurdlyPowerfulMan wiggles his pinky finger, causing a flaming crack to open under UnfortunateGuy's feet and convey him directly to a fiery death at the planet's core.

(APM is clearly god-moding. There is simply no means within the game for any player character to do that under any circumstances. And what if the world doesn't actually *have* a flaming core?)

----------

Example2: AbsurdlyPowerfulMan gestures with his right thumb, causing a bolt of lightning to strike UnfortunateGuy and fry him to a crisp.

(Still god mode. APM may very well be a Conjurer capable of tossing lightning bolts around, but UG might very well have survived the blast, depending upon how tough he is, or how resistant he is to lightning. Or maybe UG does, in fact, have tremendously fast reflexes that might allow him to dodge the bolt!)

----------

Example3: AbsurdlyPowerfulMan raises an eyebrow, causing everyone within ten yards to think that UnfortunateGuy has stinky feet.

(Yep, godmode again. APM cannot dictate what other people think or feel. Whether or not UG's feet actually do stink is, of course, another matter entirely.)

----------

Example4: AbsurdlyPowerfulMan waggles his fingers, causing a bolt of lightning to streak forth in UnfortunateGuy's direction.

(Not godmode! At least, not if APM can actually toss a Thunder spell.)

Re: Defining God Mode (Vote) - Kylin - 05-20-2010

/sigh. This kind of stuff was supposed to be discussed in the discussion thread. I asked if anyone wanted to add/modify anything and got no responses. And now everyone is responding now that the actual poll is up -.-.

Should we just hold the vote until people figure out what they want in the actual polls? If everyone really wants to make the adjustments, we'll either have to have a re-vote or have everyone who already voted post their thoughts as well so their vote doesn't get discarded. For instance, someone may have voted against something because they didn't like anything about it. If we're going to integrate aspects of different options together, everyone who voted already needs to be taken into consideration. This goes for both polls.

Re: Defining God Mode (Vote) - Menoe Valkyria - 05-20-2010

Might be a good idea Castiel

Re: Defining God Mode (Vote) - Eva - 05-21-2010

Maybe just take the suggestions posted here and draft up another batch based on everything suggested here and in the other thread, then make the 2nd [merged] vote count. I think it may have been a little unclear in the other thread whose examples were whose and now that everything is drawn out more completely it makes a bit more sense to everyone and we're able to fit the pieces together more completely this way. That's just my take on it though. I had to go back and forth a bit to see which examples were whose.

Re: Defining God Mode (Vote) - Nanapariri - 05-21-2010

Sorry Cast I agree with Kes. Having to search through the thread for examples made it hard for me to really piece it together.

I think a redraft and vote based on the feedback with the most popular 2 options would be best.

Re: Defining God Mode (Vote) - Kylin - 05-21-2010

Would anyone else mind setting up this redraft? I'm currently swamped with the server transfer, forum upgrading, RPC Council stuff, and other surprises yet to come this next week :oops:

Also keep in mind that this will delay the opening of the Town Square. Although to be honest, it's probably best to push it back one more week anyway.

Re: Defining God Mode (Vote) - Kylin - 05-24-2010

Poll for both this and metagaming now closed (been 7 days). Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to use the definitions that came out on top for the etiquette section. As it stands, 16 people voted and only a very small handful of those individuals have left any comments. Thus, I don't want to just cancel their votes as I feel that would be pretty bad etiquette. However, if someone else wishes to take initiative and redraft both definitions up for a re-vote, that'll be fine. In the meantime, we'll use the ones that officially passed.