Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP Idea: Is this too crazy? Feedback wanted! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP Idea: Is this too crazy? Feedback wanted! (/showthread.php?tid=12018)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RP Idea: Is this too crazy? Feedback wanted! - LadyRochester - 06-11-2015

(I apologize in advance for my horrible, horrible phrasing. I'm in the middle of class and can't really flesh out my post without having the teacher glare at me.)

I was doing the Alchemy class quests and the fact that Arcanum/Arcamina uses ink as a conductor for aether made something snap in my mind.

See, theoretically, if you use high quality ink (a high conductor) and are able to accurately depict the symbols of the Arcanists to cast magic with books and scrolls.... What could possibly stop a person from trying the same thing on people? As in, in theory, shouldn't someone be able to use these symbols on their skin to cast magic as well? Since it's in the skin, what if you make it permanent or semi-permanent? Would this enhance a person's aetherial ability or harm it? Would they get aether-sickness? Would this be, perhaps, a more stable form of sorcery?

I am considering making an RP where she takes wiling participants to see if this theory would work, obviously, I need to flesh it out a bit more (Considering that "I phraez gud"), but what do you guys think? Would you want to participate in this RP? Needless to say, it will likely be extended and not a "one-time" thing.

Disclaimer: This RP is not an excuse to make your character OP, regardless of the results. I'm a bit reluctant to bring it into the forums for this exact reason, I don't want demi-gods pouring out of Sasha's experiments. Due to her aetherial sensitivity, she will probably not perform the experiment on herself. 

My biggest concern is people taking advantage of this RP to make their characters overpowered, and I also don't want to turn perfectly good characters into Mary-sues, but I'm guessing that's up to the other role-player, not myself. I may post a thread in the "Making Connections" sub-forums depending on the reception of this idea.

Thank you for your feedback.

RE: RP Idea: Is this too crazy? Feedback wanted! - Gegenji - 06-11-2015

Theoretically, unless they're going for arcane tattoos or something, I am unsure how well using the body as a physical medium for arcanima formulae would work. And, if you do tattoo them on, would the materials that are used for the best dyes... safe to have in your body?

And even after all that, you are using the aetherical formulae as a focus to cast your spells. Having them tattooed on you wouldn't suddenly give you the ability to cast magic, I would think. Or even help or hinder your natural aetheric ability. You'd just have a potentially stylish alternative to having a codex on hand - if you think having equation ink is rad.

Which, I suppose, could be handy. Since you could technically never be disarmed - you have your spells with you at all times. Which might be handy.

RE: RP Idea: Is this too crazy? Feedback wanted! - Magellan - 06-11-2015

My only thought would be, if these tattoos are supposed to be visible, you're likely going to have to explain them (and their use) ICly to everyone you meet. Which honestly, sounds like too much work to me Tongue

RE: RP Idea: Is this too crazy? Feedback wanted! - Yangh - 06-11-2015

I've seen this exact concept used quite often over the few years of ARR. Hell, one of my characters has a very primitive version of it that uses a stored pool of aether to fire off a single aetherical blast as a last resort. Its a once a week deal and leaves them pretty much out of commission afterwards.

Its possible in theory and as there isn't really any lore to support the effects of doing so... just balance it however you see fit.

[Edit] - I also see no reason why the tattoo's couldn't be non-visible until they're actually used to channel aether along them (Which is how my chars tattoo's work).

RE: RP Idea: Is this too crazy? Feedback wanted! - LadyRochester - 06-11-2015

(06-11-2015, 08:43 AM)Gegenji Wrote: Theoretically, unless they're going for arcane tattoos or something, I am unsure how well using the body as a physical medium for arcanima formulae would work. And, if you do tattoo them on, would the materials that are used for the best dyes... safe to have in your body?

And even after all that, you are using the aetherical formulae as a focus to cast your spells. Having them tattooed on you wouldn't suddenly give you the ability to cast magic, I would think. Or even help or hinder your natural aetheric ability. You'd just have a potentially stylish alternative to having a codex on hand - if you think having equation ink is rad.

Which, I suppose, could be handy. Since you could technically never be disarmed - you have your spells with you at all times. Which might be handy.

Well, I'm sure there is a work-around regarding the toxicity of inks to make them compatible with a person's body. Technically, in Eorzea, it is possible to cast magic without a medium (I refer to this as plain "sorcery") So aether directly goes between the caster and the environment without a filter, this is obviously not the most stable form of magic (or the safest), but it's certainly used. People have to be open to the possibility of their characters suffering secondary effects (or even loss) regarding their magical powers.

The effects are up to the roleplayer, of course, but I'd prefer if we could discuss it beforehand to not have major disparities between results if multiple people are interested.

(06-11-2015, 08:46 AM)Magellan Wrote: My only thought would be, if these tattoos are supposed to be visible, you're likely going to have to explain them (and their use) ICly to everyone you meet. Which honestly, sounds like too much work to me Tongue

(06-11-2015, 08:46 AM)Yangh Wrote: I've seen this exact concept used quite often over the few years of ARR. Hell, one of my characters has a very primitive version of it that uses a stored pool of aether to fire off a single aetherical blast as a last resort. Its a once a week deal and leaves them pretty much out of commission afterwards.

Its possible in theory and as there isn't really any lore to support the effects of doing so... just balance it however you see fit.

[Edit] - I also see no reason why the tattoo's couldn't be non-visible until they're actually used to channel aether along them (Which is how my chars tattoo's work).

As Yangh said, the tattooos could be invisible until the character uses them. I have yet to flesh out the idea, and as mentioned before, it's completely up to the other roleplayer.

(06-11-2015, 08:46 AM)Magellan Wrote: My only thought would be, if these tattoos are supposed to be visible, you're likely going to have to explain them (and their use) ICly to everyone you meet. Which honestly, sounds like too much work to me Tongue

(06-11-2015, 08:46 AM)Yangh Wrote: I've seen this exact concept used quite often over the few years of ARR. Hell, one of my characters has a very primitive version of it that uses a stored pool of aether to fire off a single aetherical blast as a last resort. Its a once a week deal and leaves them pretty much out of commission afterwards.

As Yangh said, the tattooos could be invisible until the character uses them. I have yet to flesh out the idea, and as mentioned before, it's completely up to the other roleplayer...

Though I would understand, explaining them when using magic can be a bit tiring, or you can simply have our character not talk about it much, it's up to what kind of character takes the role, really.

Why would the ink be invisible, though? I could see them flaring up for effect when you use them, which would be neat... but unless the ink itself is clear or flesh-colored (which would still stand out if you got tanned or something)... why wouldn't it be visible?

Obviously it'd be difficult to show in game on model - but you could just as easily just tell people that your character is covered in strange, mathematical tattoos... or have them underneath clothing. No particular reason to also have them invisible.

(06-11-2015, 08:55 AM)Gegenji Wrote: Why would the ink be invisible, though? I could see them flaring up for effect when you use them, which would be neat... but unless the ink itself is clear or flesh-colored (which would still stand out if you got tanned or something)... why wouldn't it be visible?

Obviously it'd be difficult to show in game on model - but you could just as easily just tell people that your character is covered in strange, mathematical tattoos... or have them underneath clothing. No particular reason to also have them invisible.

You have a point, unless the ink is VERY meticulously applied in the colour of the subject's skin, then making it invisible would be... Nearly impossible (Even then, the procedure must be VERY time consuming and expensive). Or, actually, maybe it would be possible to conceal them with glamour magic, but even then it's a bit of a stretch.

RE: RP Idea: Is this too crazy? Feedback wanted! - Yangh - 06-11-2015

(06-11-2015, 08:55 AM)Gegenji Wrote: Why would the ink be invisible, though? I could see them flaring up for effect when you use them, which would be neat... but unless the ink itself is clear or flesh-colored (which would still stand out if you got tanned or something)... why wouldn't it be visible?

Its just an artistic direction really. You could go with invisible ink, flesh coloured or simply just say that it is the way it is because reasons. Not to mention its something you can't visually show without emoting that its there, so there's that.

Then again, a macro could fix that for you. Saves you typing it out over and over.

The lore of the visibility ink, I feel, is probably the least important thing about using ink on the body to channel Arcanima.

RE: RP Idea: Is this too crazy? Feedback wanted! - FreelanceWizard - 06-11-2015

We have a couple of characters in Mysterium that use their arcanima expertise to draw (or scarify) geometries on people for particular purposes. Rather than being an always present, triggered spell, though, they use them as wards and permanent enhancements/modifications. It's something of a form of enchantment in their RP. In most cases, the "seals" are at chakra points and thus hidden under clothing, but they are quite obvious when visible.

So, I say go with it, personally. Smile

RE: RP Idea: Is this too crazy? Feedback wanted! - Voilinaut Larille - 06-11-2015

It  isn't  crazy,  almost everything works in  ARR  as long as  you can sell it to  other  people.   You could  tattoo  it  on a  private  part  of  your  body,  like  your   hips,  your spine,   your  wrist,   your  neck(if you're willing to  cover  it  with a scarf)  etc.   

although,  it'll most  likely  cause  a certain level  of pain/  burning sensation,  since the  aether  is transformed  without  any filter

(06-11-2015, 09:01 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: We have a couple of characters in Mysterium that use their arcanima expertise to draw (or scarify) geometries on people for particular purposes. Rather than being an always present, triggered spell, though, they use them as wards and permanent enhancements/modifications. It's something of a form of enchantment in their RP. In most cases, the "seals" are at chakra points and thus hidden under clothing, but they are quite obvious when visible.

So, I say go with it, personally. Smile

I was actually thinking the same thing. Using the scriptures as enhancements or wards, but I assume that using it to be able to summon, say, a carbuncle without a grimoire would be something some people would want as well. 

However, due to the space limitations a body has, I'd say the amount of Arcanist spells one can use without another medium is limited, so it would make more sense to have specific tattoos for specific functions.

(06-11-2015, 09:03 AM)Voilinaut Larille Wrote: It  isn't  crazy,  almost everything works in  ARR  as long as  you can sell it to  other  people.   You could  tattoo  it  on a  private  part  of  your  body,  like  your   hips,  your spine,   your  wrist,   your  neck(if you're willing to  cover  it  with a scarf)  etc.   

although,  it'll most  likely  cause  a certain level  of pain/  burning sensation,  since the  aether  is transformed  without  any filter

Yes, I'd imagine pain will play quite a big part in the experiments, unless alchemy is used to numb it, but I'd imagine she'll be reluctant to use it, as it might affect the procedure to have any "extras" in the body at the time.

That would be fair. After all, we don't know how many pages of formulae are needed for each spell. I know in DnD, the higher level the spell, the more pages it took to scribe in one's spellbook. Which would make sense - channeling more aether for a larger or more powerful effect would likely require additional computation and calculation.

So that could be a balancing factor. One could tattoo the effects of a small spell without taking up too much surface area, but something like a perpetual Stoneskin or Protect field would require quite a bit more. I would figure making something perpetual instead of cast and done would require additional calculations as well to make it self-sustaining anyway, would would add to the length of the formula (and thus, the size of the tattoo).