Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] Arik Nergui - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Player Directory (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: [Balmung] Arik Nergui (/showthread.php?tid=12190)

Arik Nergui - Arik - 06-21-2015

I. Basic Info 
  • Characters: Arik Nergui, Adelise Levant
  • Primary character: Arik Nergui - Wiki Page
  • Linkshells: A private LS with a number of IRL friends-- but I'm looking to join some others!
  • Primary RP linkshell: The above LS with friends.
II. RP Style 
  • Amount of RP (light, medium, heavy):
    Heavy is preferable. I'm only really hanging around in the light to medium range right now because I and some friends are trying to bust our way through MSQ/levels and I've yet to really establish any non-IRL IC contacts yet. Honestly though, the more opportunities I can get for RP, the happier I am. \o\ 

As for writing style-- I like to write a lot and can lend myself a bit toward the paragrapher mindset. I'm more than capable of brevity and one-liners when the situation or partners call for it though.
  • Views on RP combat and injuries:
    I think they can both add a great layer of interest to a character/story arc when done right. I prefer OOCly discussed outcomes or even those totally pre-planned because everyone gets their say in it and, hopefully, no one winds up feeling snubbed by either the other player or RNG. I'm open to /roll/random outcomes, I just prefer that only be applicable when outcome is somewhat inconsequential and when the characters are actually comparable in skill/ability/etc. (I don't care how high my rolls are-- we need to talk it out before my peasant-boy of a farmer kid lands critical strike after critical strike on your seasoned, active war veteran!) I do not take in-game levels or ilevel into account-- I will go by what you have written for your character and I hope you will do the same for me.

That said, I am 110% okay with situations where my character(s) may lose a fight or walk away injured (even seriously so), so long as it makes sense and is interesting play. (Heck, I tend to go by the "attempt" phrasing method myself-- as in, "he attempted to hit bob in the face," rather than "he hit bob in the face"-- If you do the same, it's very likely I may personally choose to let a strike be critical and result in a nasty wound!) So long as there is no godmodding and so long as you're receptive to sorting our plan out with me, I'm golden.
  • Views on IC romance:
    If it's organic, happens over time, and is opposite  a partner who I mesh with-- then romance is one of my all-time guilty pleasures in RP. I love this trope of a plot device and, so long as it's with another player I'm comfortable with on both an IC/OOC level, I will always thoroughly enjoy it.  I just have to draw the line at "insta-love" with no purpose and romance for the sake of romance without any real chemistry. I feel like it should also go without saying that IC and OOC are two completely separate things and should always be treated as such.
  • Views on non-romantic RP (family ties, etc):
    Yes, yes and yes! Friends, family, rivals, drinking buddies, acquaintances, enemies, students, teachers, professional contacts-- I want it all. Gimme.
  • Views on lore:
    My view on it is that if you're not interested in adhering to lore, then you may as well just be RPing in a chat room or a free-form forum. It's fine if that's what you want to do, but I specifically RP in MMOs because I enjoy their lore, their worlds, and thus immerse myself in them. That said, I'm an avid believer in having fun with the lore and not considering yourself bound, gagged and beaten by it either. So long as it isn't glaringly contradictory to widely known facts about the game's story, I'll let a lot of things slide and I'll be happy to play along with them so long as they're not too outlandish. Part of the fun of RPing in an MMO is experiencing the kind of life and twists other players can add to the world itself. 

I personally do my best to stay believable within the constraints of the lore I've been able to gather and just enjoy filling in the blanks with my own personal headcanons. 
  • Views on chat functions (/say, /linkshell, etc):
    /say = In character speech. ((OOC denoted by double parentheses))
    /em = In character actions and/or speech. ((OOC denoted by double parentheses))
    /linkshell = Depends on the LS.
    /FC = Depends on the FC.
    /whisper = If I'm actively RPing with you, I will denote OOC with (()), otherwise it is likely IC if speech is in "quotations." If we are not actively RPing, it is likely OOC by default.
    All other channels are on a case by case basis. If I fear there might be confusion, I'll usually do my best to clarify at the start of a message.
III. Other Info 
  • Timezone: CST (Central Standard Time)
  • Contact info: PMs,  in-game whispers/mail sent to Arik Nergui, and Discord is available upon request!

~Special announcements can be found in the posts below~