Hydaelyn Role-Players
*gulp* Hi y'all! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: *gulp* Hi y'all! (/showthread.php?tid=12263)

*gulp* Hi y'all! - Zoya - 06-24-2015

Hello everyone.

I'm not sure what makes for a good introduction (this sentence probably does not), so I'll just use the template offered by Kylin and add a bit of extra at the end.

A word of warning: It might be long. Partially because I like writing, partially because I'm nervous about this and secretly hope nobody is actually going to read it if it's just long enough. Well, not so secretly anymore. Aaanyway, let's start.

MMORPG Background

I originally wrote a lot more here, but copy&paste from Word does not work, so I'll shorten it up a little. I started with WoW in beta and played it many years, getting a fair share of everything the game and the community had to offer: Raiding, PvP, Leveling alts and RP.

Later on, I also played Guild Wars 2, SWTOR and FFXIV pre-ARR.

RP Experience

Far less than I'd like. I RP'd in WoW for a while, but other than that, I really just "prepared" to RP (mostly on forums) and didn't pull through in the end. You know, doing research on lore, thinking of characters, building backstories, thinking of possible conflicts and how the character reacts etc. And single player RPing doesn't count.

Character Ideas/Info

Oh boy. Been tossing around a _lot_ of ideas, but very few of them are characters I'd like to play as for more than an evening or two, either because they are not sympathetic to me, not visually appealing or both. The range goes from complete joke characters like a capslock Hellsguard named "Loud Noise" over fairly standard characters like like the tomboyish, reclusive and cynical Duskwight Estelle to less textbook-y characters like like the quirky oddball Seeker R(h)ei, who has absorbed more cultures in her childhood than her brain could handle. That's her on the left by the by.

You can probably guess that more work went into the latter category of characters. Thus far, the only thing that's for certain is that I want to play a female character. Or, a male character that accidentally sips fantasia sometime in his story and wakes up as a highly disturbed girl with major re-socialization issues. I'm a sucker for those kinds of story. D'aw, I'd somehow make "her" wear a cute, girly dress, with frills and ribbons and stuff <3. Uhm, I digress.

Backstories for my characters naturally vary a lot, they tend to be more lighthearted however. Little to no death and none of that really dark stuff. I'm more of a comedy person. Also, I have a fondness of poorer backgrounds I found.

Seeing as Balmung and Gilgamesh are pretty much off-limits without a transfer, I would appreciate getting some feedback from you guys and gals here. I couldn't rush things even if I wanted to.

How did you learn about the coalition?

That was easy: I put "Final Fantasy XIV Roleplay" into the google search box. It was the first thing that popped up. Been lurking a bit since then.

What kind of roleplayer are you aiming to be?

Tooough question.

Looking at the handbook here on the forums, I'm probably somewhere in the middle. On the one hand, I want to deliver believable, lore-friendly and somewhat entertaining characters with a coherent backstory. On the other, I don't shy away from acknowledging my hammerspace (aka armory) and usually run, unless it would be insensitive to do so (e.g. at RP events). I deliberately set up my characters to allow me to experience the game content largely unrestrained (except maybe for a class or two), but I also want to stay in-character at all times, again, unless it would be inappropriate (for example, in an otherwise fully OOC dungeon group). Naturally, I also try not to bump into people. From the character perspective, you can't go through them and even if you could, it would be considered impolite to do so. I know I would feel like taking a shower if someone did.

So I'd say the RP/Gameplay tradeoff is 50/50 for me.

Anything from real life you're comfortable with sharing?

Uhm...I'd be comfortable with sharing my entire life story, but who on earth would be interested in that? I'll keep it short: I'm a soon-to-be 27 year old student from europe, germany. Also, I'm a freak, sort of, and (former?) sociophobe. I've just recently started to swim in more social waters and try not to be too much of a nuisance. My hobbies are video gaming and writing stories suited for and inspired by video games (read: lots of fighting involved). That's also where my forum name comes from, it's a character from one of these stories.

That said, I would appreciate if you don't bite me. Or at least do it gently.

Questions from myself

Technically, I only have one, but it wouldn't fit elsewhere, so...new headline it is.

Do I have to speak the way the NPCs speak ingame? I'm afraid english is not my mother tongue and even though I consider myself fluent, I have a hard time making proper use of "dost", "thou" and "thyne". Or, do the rogue talk. Then again, the latter probably is a meme already.

Miscellaneous

Fear not, it's almost over! Just one more section of me rambling about random things.

The first one being a clarification: I am just starting out again. I didn't play FFXIV for years and then suddenly decided to do RP, I decided to RP in a MMORPG and FFXIV was the game of choice because I was the least familiar with it. "Almost" everything I know therefore is from wikis, guides, forums and lore pages. On that note, big thanks to FreelanceWizard for his Miqo'te lore dump.

Another thing is, I am a little unsure about my endeavour. For one, I am insecure about my own performance. RPing is basically acting and I think it's the stage fright that gets to me. Furthermore, I'm not sure whether my character concepts are sufficient or appreciated. I want to do this thing right.

Lastly, I am a bit worried about my E-Mail address to be honest. The forum rules clearly say:"No disposable E-Mail address" and while I do consider my gaming address non-disposable, it sure doesn't sound like it. I can change it later if it's a problem, I just wanted to raise the topic before a random banhammer hits critically.

Alright, that's it from me. Kudos to everyone who stayed 'til the end. Hope I didn't break any rule in the process. Sorry if I did.

RE: *gulp* Hi y'all! - Faye - 06-24-2015

Hey there, welcome! Big Grin I highly doubt the e-mail address thing will be a problem, but that's for the mods to address I suppose!

RE: *gulp* Hi y'all! - Melkire - 06-24-2015

Welcome to the RPC!

Working backwards:

1. I believe "no disposable e-mail addresses" is in place in case staff ever need to reach you for purposes such as password retrieval, etc. Don't quote me on that, though. I'll have to review the exact reason behind it (a.k.a. get in touch with people who know why it was put in place and ask THEM, mwuahahaha)

2. Stage fright sucks, but I've found over the years that the layer of anonymity, however thin at times, helps isolate oneself. In any case, good luck! Smile

3. No, you don't have to speak like NPCs or in "Ye Olde English" if you don't want to. Furthermore, plenty of folks around here and in XIV in general aren't native English speakers! Big Grin

4. Eva's "Roleplayer's Handbook" is a delightful starting guide. Big Grin

5. OMG SWTOR Bouncy

That was an excellent introduction. Again, welcome!

RE: *gulp* Hi y'all! - Thorgar - 06-24-2015

welcome fellow newbie! hope you have fun here, if you get on Balmung look me up, my wife and I love to RP..  As to lore and such, still learning that myself lol.

RE: *gulp* Hi y'all! - Elaris - 06-24-2015

Welcome to the community,
nice to have more people jump into the fold!
I wouldn't concern yourself too much about having to speak exactly the way the NPC' speak in game. Most of my characters are from the La Noscea area and none of them speak that heavy pirate tongue and I had been doing just fine with that.
Smile

RE: *gulp* Hi y'all! - Zoya - 06-24-2015

Thanks for the replies :3

The language thingy is quite a relief. NPC are usually the first place I look when searching for appropriate behaviour/names/speech, but sometimes it's just...yeah.

Quote:4. Eva's "Roleplayer's Handbook" is a delightful starting guide.
I second that. It's also pretty extensive, but luckily, most people interested in roleplay are not the TL;DR type. Then again, that might just be a stereotype of mine.

My current plan is to decide on a character, then make it on another server and transfer as soon as possible.
I could try creating one now before/after the coming maintenance, but for that I would need to know which. And I am indecisive there. I mean, I still have a couple hours, but I'm not working at hedgehog speed. And it's 3 AM over here.

I'm personally flirting with the fantasia guy/gal concept, because it hits my weak spot and gives me a lot of freedom with unconventional name/race combinations later on, but fantasia is probably one of those things that's highly controversial in the community, so that's a major downside to consider. The IC conflicts might not be worth the OOC conflicts. I don't wanna ask for trouble and certainly don't want to make it double. There are other appealing options after all.

On the bright side, talking to you makes the anxiety fade a little. Either that or I'm just getting drowsy.

RE: *gulp* Hi y'all! - Meena - 06-24-2015

More Roes! More roes! more roes!

Also, welcome! I enjoyed GW2 and Swtor in my day too *old man voice* But FFXIv is a lovely place.