Hydaelyn Role-Players
How do you handle Fantasia Mania? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How do you handle Fantasia Mania? (/showthread.php?tid=12336)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

How do you handle Fantasia Mania? - Magellan - 06-30-2015

I don't want to open up the 'are fantasias lore debate again'. If people want to use them icly; great. Please, stay on point.
What I specifically want to know is: if you do not accept fantasia as canon (like me) how do you icly handle the plethora of fantasia stories circling around right now when they become focal points of the rp?

I've tried ic spacing out, looking at people like they were crazy, or being called away on a linkpearl and leaving scene early.

But it just kindve... puts a damper on rp when two different interpretations of lore collide like that. So what do I do? Lay low icly for awhile until all this blows over? Enlighten me.

RE: How do you handle Fantasia Mania? - OttoVann - 06-30-2015

The old character is basically dead to me, and the new ones is a stranger. This is in regards to people that fantasia, namechange, and come up with all new characters altogether yet still expect me to act familiar. No. I can only disgest so much retcon. Needless to say I'm surrounded by strangers now but thats okay, I guess the old character wasn't very good if they rerolled just to play a tribe to marry a horse.

RE: How do you handle Fantasia Mania? - Fox - 06-30-2015

Personally it depends on my characters.

C'sien, will likely smile and nod and listen politely. She's one that will avoid conflicts at any cost. She'd not call anyone out on it. Though she may excuse herself with a linkshell call should I feel it's something I don't want to pursue.

Dusk, will just outright walk out if it gets too weird for her. She wouldn't even apologize for it. She'd just up and leave. It happened the other day when I was rping with someone and a person walked up and interrupted the rp I was doing. She outright ignored the person which was emoted, and addressed the other individual and I just left it at that and returned to what I was doing off game.

RE: How do you handle Fantasia Mania? - Gaspard - 06-30-2015

It's a tough one, but all you can do is either roll with it or cease roleplaying with said person. They retconned, hard, and it's up to you to choose if that's okay with you or if they're out of your story for that reason.

RE: How do you handle Fantasia Mania? - Unnamed Mercenary - 06-30-2015

I've...been lucky, I guess. None of the people I usually RP with make use of fantasia or body changing of any type on a regular basis. To date, I think I've had a two instances of it happen in RP. ...but the fantasia was simply an OOC mechanic for an IC experiment done. So I haven't had to deal with a massive surge of people suddenly looking different and I'm kinda glad. Franz wouldn't be able to handle it well if all the people he thought he knew suddenly looked different.

Actually, I take back the last statement. Franz would probably handle it fairly well. He'd just believe he were the one going mad. Or perhaps he'd believe that they'd always looked that way and his own memory issues had been interfering with how he perceived the person.

RE: How do you handle Fantasia Mania? - Lost River - 06-30-2015

I done this with another character of mine. One that didn't make so much as of a splash in the current RP environ. She wasn't ignored and some do remember her; but I did a Fantasia/Name Change.

My friends are still friends, but we did it as new character, meeting new people, new scenario and such. My other character isn't dead, as she was with the Grand Company Immortal Flames, she simply was re-deployed on the Ala Mhigan front.

As for my new character, I actually love roleplaying as her and she seems to be gaining much attention and enjoyment from others. For me, I think it was a great thing;

As to the statement, Fantasia by the Lore team for FFXIV was verified to be completely OOC, as for people doing it, I'd suggest Glamour being the easiest alternative and an IC valid reason for a complete change.

A lot of targets in levequests have them, why can't player characters too?

RE: How do you handle Fantasia Mania? - Thorgar - 06-30-2015

I would ask them if its a new character or if ICly they had some kinda body swap, ya know like dont eat yellow snow around Ifrit.

For me i made two characters with shifting them to Au Ra in mind so to me the characters looks caught up to the characters lore lol.

RE: How do you handle Fantasia Mania? - Meena - 06-30-2015

(06-30-2015, 02:00 AM)OttoVann Wrote: The old character is basically dead to me, and the new ones is a stranger.  This is in regards to people that fantasia, namechange, and come up with all new characters altogether yet still expect me to act familiar.  No.  I can only disgest so much retcon.  Needless to say I'm surrounded by strangers now but thats okay, I guess the old character wasn't very good if they rerolled just to play a tribe to marry a horse.
^ Pretty much this.

I dont really acknowledge fantasia's as cannon, as the devs have even stated that they are a meta-item in regards to existence. They only exist due to the demand of the mass playbase. So yes, I do act as if they are a different person.

I actually prefer if people make new backstories instead of the trope of 'She was a ____ all along~'

RE: How do you handle Fantasia Mania? - Kasumi Gakunin - 06-30-2015

I pretty much live and let live. It's the person's character not mine. Would I use fantasia ic myself? Nope. I acknowledge its existence because I know too many role players now who have used ic so when the lore out about it came waaayy too late to use such heavy retcon. They're having fun and I don't want to infringe on that.
If it's a fantasia into a new character my characters act like it's a new person. That's the logical thing to do. 
I'm not really fond of fantasia abuse though and people who maks new toons or change their appearance majorly every second month.

RE: How do you handle Fantasia Mania? - Fox - 06-30-2015

(06-30-2015, 02:13 AM)Meena Wrote:
(06-30-2015, 02:00 AM)OttoVann Wrote: The old character is basically dead to me, and the new ones is a stranger.  This is in regards to people that fantasia, namechange, and come up with all new characters altogether yet still expect me to act familiar.  No.  I can only disgest so much retcon.  Needless to say I'm surrounded by strangers now but thats okay, I guess the old character wasn't very good if they rerolled just to play a tribe to marry a horse.
^ Pretty much this.

I dont really acknowledge fantasia's as cannon, as the devs have even stated that they are a meta-item in regards to existence. They only exist due to the demand of the mass playbase. So yes, I do act as if they are a different person.

I actually prefer if people make new backstories instead of the trope of 'She was a ____ all along~'

I will say that I have fantasia'd but I have completely name changed and fantasia'd and there is absolutely no relation to the previous character; plot or otherwise. I just treat them as new chars personally because I didn't want to level up to 23 again on a new char. So on the other flipside of fantasias of if I use them, I follow Otto's and Meena's views.

RE: How do you handle Fantasia Mania? - Ashe - 06-30-2015

I used a fantasia ICly once but it wasn't a potion.  I was bored and did an RP plot where some aetherical disturbance caused by a failed experiment shifted my character's appearance to a female (the tl;dr explanation)....and ended up using Sylph magic to change him back.  It was fun and interesting to see how others' handled it.  I was bored and wanted to try something new and my character ended up going back to being a male at the end of it.

If you are changing a character's race....I don't think I'd accept it as "Oh, okay."...ICly my character would be like "I don't know you" probably....

RE: How do you handle Fantasia Mania? - Sriracha Quilt - 06-30-2015

Hello all. I do hope I'm not necro'ing the thread. If so, apologies. o.o;;

I'm new to the ffxiv roleplaying community, though I'm a lifelong rp'er on other forums and games. I tend to use fantasias before I get acquainted with people, and stick to things as they are once people know me or my character, or both. When happening with other people, I usually take the "layman" approach to it, or that of a more simplistic approach that "people with pointy sticks" have. That is to say, just simply play it off IC and try to turn that into a bit of an interaction. Tragically, the servers I originally picked to play treat roleplaying as if it's a taboo, so I don't have as much experience with roleplaying in game as I would like to have, so the above is just my limited experience with it.

RE: How do you handle Fantasia Mania? - Boo the Hamster - 06-30-2015

I just don't acknowledge Fantasia IC.  It is not an IC-item, and will never be used that way in my head, plain and simple.

If I enjoy RP'ing with that person, I will continue RP'ing with them.  If I don't, then I don't.  I would rather hear they are (new race) all along rather than hear Fantasia.  From a mechanical standpoint it's understandable at least, so long as it's not more than one race change.

RE: How do you handle Fantasia Mania? - Kurt S. - 06-30-2015

Coming from someone who uses it and makes it canon on one of their characters. Yeah I pretty much acknowledge it if it comes up. But everyone I RP with are so lore compliant it never has. I'd talk about shapeshifting (because there's glamours and sylph magic,etc) but we're on the topic of fantasia, the drink. 

As long as they can sufficiently back their identity, I'm fine. The crazier the change, the more proof that's needed. A genderbend? Sure, kind of difficult to wrap the head around. You were a lalafell but now a roe? I'm going to need a boatload more proof. 

And I usually don't follow that philosophy on my fantasia'd character, opting to really just assume a new persona unless with people they know. Which probably burnt bridges/caused people not to wanna RP with me no more, not even the other three I own. I'm sorry, I'm in the wrong, I shouldn't have done that, but those are all beside the point for this thread.

Anyway...

Ramona would laugh, laugh and backpedal away from you or poke fun at you. 'Shapeshifting from a drink? Do you believe this guy?' Yes she will be condescending. 

Kurt knows your pain. 'Yeah...I've been there.'

Nah would buy it too since it's come up with one of the rp's she's been in wherein character A who wanted fantasia asked her to ask character B, who she knows, to go brew A some. So I thought, might as well.

Khujin would probably buy it. To her, just because this fantasia shtick does not exist in Othard doesn't mean there wasn't someone was crazy enough to concoct it somewhere else and brought it to Eorzea or someone in Eorzea itself made it. 

RE: How do you handle Fantasia Mania? - Ashe - 06-30-2015

(06-30-2015, 03:26 AM)Ramen S. Wrote: Coming from someone who uses it and makes it canon on one of their characters. Yeah I pretty much acknowledge it if it comes up. But everyone I RP with are so lore compliant it never has. I'd talk about shapeshifting (because there's glamours and sylph magic,etc) but we're on the topic of fantasia, the drink. 

As long as they can sufficiently back their identity, I'm fine. The crazier the change, the more proof that's needed. A genderbend? Sure, kind of difficult to wrap the head around. You were a lalafell but now a roe? I'm going to need a boatload more proof. 

And I usually don't follow that philosophy on my fantasia'd character, opting to really just assume a new persona unless with people they know. Which probably burnt bridges/caused people not to wanna RP with me no more, not even the other three I own. I'm sorry, I'm in the wrong, I shouldn't have done that, but those are all beside the point for this thread.

Anyway...

Ramona would laugh, laugh and backpedal away from you or poke fun at you. 'Shapeshifting from a drink? Do you believe this guy?' Yes she will be condescending. 

Kurt knows your pain. 'Yeah...I've been there.'

Nah would buy it too since it's come up with one of the rp's she's been in wherein character A who wanted fantasia asked her to ask character B, who she knows, to go brew A some. So I thought, might as well.

Khujin would probably buy it. To her, just because this fantasia shtick does not exist in Othard doesn't mean there wasn't someone was crazy enough to concoct it somewhere else and brought it to Eorzea or someone in Eorzea itself made it. 
/pokes Ramona
We still gotta RP  >.<