Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Au-Ra immgration: How is your character taking it? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Au-Ra immgration: How is your character taking it? (/showthread.php?tid=12342)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Au-Ra immgration: How is your character taking it? - LadyRochester - 06-30-2015

Well, shit. Looks like your character woke up one day and suddenly the city is plagued by horned people and... What is this!? Where are their friends!? Oh... Gods! W-why is that horned person in your house? And that one!? Where the hell did they come from!? D-did... Did they eat you friends?

HIDE!

Jokes aside. How is your character reacting to the influx of Au-Ra now that it feels like everyone turned into one?

Frankly, Sasha Rochester is a tad racist, so she's silently shifting on her feet uncomfortably with a fake smile plastered on her face as she watches all these horned strangers walk into her home.

RE: The Au-Ra immgration: How is your character taking it? - Gegenji - 06-30-2015

I had some fun with the situation with regards to Chachan. He's Doman, so he's familiar with the Raen. He - being the dense little dork he is - just didn't notice that there weren't any until they started popping up. Then he was just "Oh yeah, you guys didn't have Au Ra 'round here, huh?" about it. Laugh

Other than that, he's been handling the sudden influx pretty well. I suppose it's more of a return to the status quo of Doma for him. Even if there seems to be a lot more Au Ra running around than he might've remembered. After all, the Garleans invaded their homeland, so it shouldn't be too surprising that a bunch would crawl out of the woodwork in the escape.

RE: The Au-Ra immgration: How is your character taking it? - Rahz Jakkari - 06-30-2015

Isabela's handling it... Pretty well, actually, considering she's never even heard of the Au Ra. She's more intrigued by them than anything else, and perhaps slightly nervous around them. 

Mostly, she'll just stare at them from afar because apparently nobody taught her that's rude.  Bouncy

RE: The Au-Ra immgration: How is your character taking it? - Asmodean - 06-30-2015

For Asmo it more or less, hey look.... new things. He wouldn't really be the type to hate them or anything until he started to get an understanding of what they are but he would as seen them as another threat on the roads he would have to deal with. After all it's not like only the good and law biding ones would come to Eorzea.

At worst... he found a good source of free grindstones for his ax Tongue

RE: The Au-Ra immgration: How is your character taking it? - Chris Ganale - 06-30-2015

Ganale is busy making fun of the guy at the inn who is now one thanks to a magic accident. Tahz is wondering what the hell is going on, but has noted that A.) lot less people running around with full-body cloaks and B.) all these horned folk, and is capable of drawing a conclusion.

Chao and Seno, being Doman, are just wondering why they've all stopped hiding all of the sudden. Yuuna is happy since it means Hotaru doesn't have to hide anymore.

Garon could not care any less.

Ghost, himself a foreigner, doesn't see what the big deal is. Despite being surprised that his drinking buddy chick is one of them.

RE: The Au-Ra immgration: How is your character taking it? - FreelanceWizard - 06-30-2015

When L'yhta met her first au ra, her response was something along the lines of, "Oh, you poor miqo'te! I don't know if I can heal that... I've never seen an affliction that causes scales to grow over skin and to cause all the fur on your tail to fall off!"

She has a few gaps in her knowledge. Smile

Beyond that, she hasn't had any issue with auri, except when they try to act superior (which she doesn't brook from anyone) or make a point of insulting Eorzea -- particularly if they're from Doma. The way she sees it, if you're a refugee, you should at least be civil to your new hosts.

RE: The Au-Ra immgration: How is your character taking it? - LadyRochester - 06-30-2015

(06-30-2015, 09:15 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: When L'yhta met her first au ra, her response was something along the lines of, "Oh, you poor miqo'te! I don't know if I can heal that... I've never seen an affliction that causes scales to grow over skin and to cause all the fur on your tail to fall off!"

She has a few gaps in her knowledge. Smile

Beyond that, she hasn't had any issue with auri, except when they try to act superior (which she doesn't brook from anyone) or make a point of insulting Eorzea -- particularly if they're from Doma. The way she sees it, if you're a refugee, you should at least be civil to your new hosts.

LOL. 

The moment Sasha saw an Au-Ra she immediately searched for information about the in libraries... Now in her (clearly skewed) knowledge, she sees Au-Ra as people who drink their own pee and marry horses, even though it's just (some) of the Xaela. Needless to say, she's not too hyped about them. Laugh

If there was a racial scale was to what she considered from most civilized to least. This would be it:

1. Hyur, Lallafells, Elezen, some Miqo'te and some Roegadyn.
2. Most Miqo'te. Some Roegadyn.
3. Au-Ra.

Ironic coming from someone who has been courted by miqo'te more than she'l ever admit.

RE: The Au-Ra immgration: How is your character taking it? - Cato - 06-30-2015

Graeham's naturally curious so he's fairly intrigued by the Au Ra. He's currently guiding one around Eorzea. He is, however, also rather uneasy by their presence since now there's suddenly another bunch of people with valid reasons to loathe the Garlean Empire wandering around Eorzea. In turn, this makes it even more difficult for him to plan out a means of forging peace between Garlemald and Eorzea.

RE: The Au-Ra immgration: How is your character taking it? - Kage - 06-30-2015

Kage has only heard of some snippets. But he's gonna be a little cautious. He's never seen one and would ask many questions. He's not taking it lightly. He's in coerthas/ishgard right now and for a long while so I'm not sure if he will run into some.

RE: The Au-Ra immgration: How is your character taking it? - Lilia Lia - 06-30-2015

Most of my RP circle has had their head down doing the HW content and has been taking a break from RP in the interim.  I had one interaction with an Au Ra claiming to be someone I already knew and responded to it with disbelief. 

I'm actually not sure how I'm going to handle a lot of it.  A dozen or so people I know, and about a half a dozen of my RP partners, had a race change into the same race that's never before been seen.  That's pretty freaky.

It's really, really hard for me to not think that my character would notice this "pattern" and think "there's more to this than people are letting on," but at that point I think my response is getting too meta especially since the ultimate answer to the question of "why so many people transformed into Au Ra" is "because you are a video game character Lilia."  That's a bit too fourth-wall-breaking for me.  Tongue

So I dunno.  I think I'll just take it at face value for the most part and try to go along with it.  I just wish so much of my RP in the near future wasn't going to be variations on the exact same theme (wow, you're an Au Ra now!) because it's going to get stale pretty quickly.  I wish I could just fast forward past it and carry on with actual non-race-change-related RP.  So maybe I'll just have Lilia passively take notice of it and somehow decide that it's not a big deal, just in the interest of it not consuming all of my RP going forward.

Of course this is going to depend on whether everyone else takes this approach because there's certainly going to be one or two characters who feel like they're living in a world full of insane people.  Though in fairness it does make sense for Lilia to contribute to this since she's kind of dense when it comes to things that are obvious to everyone else.

RE: The Au-Ra immgration: How is your character taking it? - Caspar - 06-30-2015

:o I might make Virara curious about whether their tale grows back if you pull it off.

That's about it though. She has heard enough about them from her Doman Master that they're somewhat fascinating to her, but they're only like the third "new" species she's encountered. (Not including her own, as she did not even know what she was initially.) It would be easy to see her say something insensitive, but more out of ignorance than outright fear or malice.

RE: The Au-Ra immgration: How is your character taking it? - Spethah - 06-30-2015

Given that Septha turned into one (Through an long arc that took 2 and a half months in total), she's giving negative responses. She doesn't like being one, being formerly a Miqo'te the sudden change has her uncomfortable and currently trying to get used to simply not being a cat. The reactions she's gotten as well have been rather poor and that as well has not aided in anyway, in fact it's actually starting to scare the poor lass. 

Her view on other Au Ra however is one that is wary. She feels bad of them due to her experience being one, but at the same time the only ones she has met have been very brutish and violent and that along provides the reason to why she's being shoved into a unpleasant stereotype.

RE: The Au-Ra immgration: How is your character taking it? - Mountie - 06-30-2015

(06-30-2015, 10:47 AM)Septha Wrote: Given that Septha turned into one (Through an long arc that took 2 and a half months in total), she's giving negative responses. She doesn't like being one, being formerly a Miqo'te the sudden change has her uncomfortable and currently trying to get used to simply not being a cat. The reactions she's gotten as well have been rather poor and that as well has not aided in anyway, in fact it's actually starting to scare the poor lass. 

Her view on other Au Ra however is one that is wary. She feels bad of them due to her experience being one, but at the same time the only ones she has met have been very brutish and violent and that along provides the reason to why she's being shoved into a unpleasant stereotype.
Even though you did take a long arc, by having a Miqo'te name and changing to Au Ra like so many others, you will sadly be judged with the masses who don't even have good reasoning. Keep a stiff upper lip and once the commotion has died down I'm sure things will settle. You could keep the RP to those who were involved in that arc, which would do a lot towards minimizing the trauma for a while.

RE: The Au-Ra immgration: How is your character taking it? - Cailean Lockwood - 06-30-2015

As an Au Ra, Vachir was heavy-hearted at first due to the loss of his tribe and family, and now suddenly all alone in a strange realm with lots of strange people around him. His tribe was already very secluded, so he was not used to being around anyone else, and now there's suddenly several races and thousands of people from each around him every day.

He knows he's a guest in the realm and do not wish to be a burden, so he's tried to learn about Eorzea, its people, its customs and culture - trying to acquaint himself into this new, strange realm and its ways. And along the way, he's met some really nice people who have been very welcoming and has helped him, teaching him about Eorzea and themselves.

He still has ALOT to learn, but he's slowly realized that the Au Ra people, especially the Xaela, won't unite as a people, as they are too used to their tribal ways and the wound of having been forced into exile is still fresh. So instead he's preparing himself for the idea that Eorzea might have to be his new home for the rest of his life.

RE: The Au-Ra immgration: How is your character taking it? - Sylentmana - 06-30-2015

Tsubaki has been taking it fairly well.  She was from a remote mountain village that was difficult for the Garleans to find even from the air ships.  As a result, the residents of the village were able to flee in advance so she didn't loose any friends or family.  While she misses her home and resents the Garleans for forcing her out, she's still excited to explore a new land and further hone her skills.  Now if only the locals would stop looking at her funny.