Hydaelyn Role-Players
What do you love about the rp community? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: What do you love about the rp community? (/showthread.php?tid=12361)

Pages: 1 2 3

What do you love about the rp community? - Magellan - 07-01-2015

This thread is meant to be a counterpoint to the RP pet peeves thread. I think the pet peeves thread is actually a good resource for talking points on things that might bog rp down, but in the interest of balance, what are some things you love?
I'll start:

Au Ra - okay, I know this isn't specifically rp related per se, but I personally feel SE absolutely nailed this race. Both male and female look fantastic. As I'm wandering around on my Monk, I just love seeing all the creative looks people came up with. I especially feel warm and fuzzy when I see fellow Raen milling about.

This site's welcoming committee - I love that all newcomers here have a crew ready to welcome them with open arms

Huggable Lalafells - lalafell players that play their characters as cute as they look. I seriously cannot even contain my squee. 

That feeling when... you've just had a solid rp connection with someone new, and mere seconds after the scene ends, you get a /tell along the lines of: 'that was fun! Can we do that again sometime?' It can be pretty frustrating sometimes feeling like you're chasing dead end after dead end, so those times it does work out are all the more rewarding!

What are some of the things you all love about rp and/or this community?

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - Gegenji - 07-01-2015

I really like a lot of the friendly, helpful folks I've come across in the community.

You know the ones - willing to help craft stuff and run stuff for people or offer help and advice when needed. But even beyond that, I just enjoy the folks that - even when passing OOCly - will still throw you a /wave or /poke or even say hi in chat or LS. Makes you feel connected and a part of things.

... Which is probably why I've gotten into the habit of /hugging folks on my Friends List when I come across them. Or, at the very least, giving them a /poke. Laugh

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - -no longer matters- - 07-01-2015

I havn't Rp'd on FF14 since my last go around (due to getting Keraya to a place in game and with her back story I feel comfortable with, but soon.) But just talking to the community OOC, everyone's been very inviting and friendly, also my last go around (I stopped right before Rogues/Ninjas got released.) I really only had positive experiences RP wise. My previous FC from my last time playing was wonderful, If I thought Keraya fit in, I'd seek them out again, just awesome people. Seems to be my experience server wide every time I play this game.

I'd say this is one of the friendliest RP communities I've encountered since City Of Heroes.

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - LadyRochester - 07-01-2015

The community itself? Not too much, unfortunately. RP?

Well, I love to see how characters evolve and develop. I get this weird satisfaction and ego-boost from seeing how other characters change over-time and flourish due to the interactions with my own. Of course, watching your own character evolve is fun too. 

It's kind of like watching your favorite series, or reading a really good book, only that your characters are kind of your children, and you influence the outcome.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that some people within the RP community have given me wonderful experiences, however, but I can't say this is the rule, so I cannot defend the community in general.

Thanks to RP, I developed my creativity, vocabulary, and writing skill. English isn't my first language, so finding a fun way to stay in practice is wonderful.

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - Asmodean - 07-01-2015

I happen to love how welling people are to hop ion to a rp scene if they happen to see me standing about a city somewhere. Most of the time, if I'm standing around with the afk sign, I'm still in in keyboard reach. It's just nice to see some willing to notice Asmo standing around if they had seen him before.

I also love how nice most seem to be, having only two months on Balmung I thought by now I might have found the local set of asshats but nope. Not a sighting of one set of people like that yet.

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - Magellan - 07-01-2015

(07-01-2015, 10:30 AM)Asmodean Wrote: I also love how nice most seem to be, having only two months on Balmung I thought by now I might have found the local set of asshats but nope. Not a sighting of one set of people like that yet.
*Slowly raises hand to remove asshat and kick it under the carpet.*

Eheheh nothing to see here, nothing to see...

*stomps on lump in carpet*

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - C'kayah Polaali - 07-01-2015

Honestly? I adore the RP community for the most part. I've gotten more, and better, RP in FF than I have in any game since AmberMUSH. Sure there are individuals I might not like, or behaviors I might not care for, but those are minor compared to the serious blessing of being able to play in a community like this.

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - Steel Wolf - 07-01-2015

I love the interplay you get to see when you peoplewatch. Sure, maybe the stories being weaved aren't deep or NY Times best-seller material....but it makes the world feel more lived in...which is pretty damn vital. Especially in a themepark MMO.

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - Zhavi - 07-01-2015

Creativity, consistency, and the kindness that has been shown to me.

Added bonus for the kickass writers who come and stick around. Smile

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - Cailean Lockwood - 07-01-2015

That it exists. That there are actually RP in this game, and lots of it! I've played MMO's with RP communities, but as soon you go in-game and try find any RP, it's so scarce or the RP is kept private.

The fact I can just walk into the Quicksand and (most of the time) find someone to RP with makes me happy. ^^

Though the Quicksand is the main hub, I also like that people might meet up there, but then take the RP elsewhere, out in the world of Eorzea. It's awesome. Big Grin

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - Aaron - 07-01-2015

The fact that people tolerate the 4th wall breaking jokes I do IC every so often. 

I know to some people that gets annoying but 9/10 I do it without even noticing lol (though I do it rarely its not a every day thing)

And most importantly the fact people tolerated me when I first got on this game. At first my rp was a fuck fest of wtf. I was new tho so eh. Still not the best around but I've gotten a lot better at this stuff thanks to constant interaction.

Emotional stuff aside, my real favorite is when I do a /random and another rper decides to contest my roll and then we bully the loser playfully. Stuff like that is fun.

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - OttoVann - 07-01-2015

Otto Vann

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - Nebbs - 07-01-2015

For the forum, I suppose that it is here, and the admin folks, especially Alothia who holds the line weathers the storm of the s#it we throw and really really cares about the community.

For Balmung, I would have to say the diversity and capacity to accommodate the variety and mess and fallouts that come with RP and still keep people here. 

For every person that will do you down there are others that will lift you up again. Cliques and tribes are a part of life but we appear to be big enough for all to have room.

Show Content

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - Gaspard - 07-01-2015

I like the Fact that it keeps me thinking. Like, for many years I ran in closed, defined Rp groups with overarching plot lines. This Open RP setting challenges alot of things I've taken for granted over those years.
Beyond that ofc i enjoy the diversity. And the forums never get boring,there's always somehing going on

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - ArmachiA - 07-01-2015

The thing that I love most about the people I RP with is the fact that we can sit down and discuss scenes of the story we're playing out like it were a novel or a TV show. We can do this FOR HOURS. Sitting around and discussing the value of a certain scene, what happened between two people, why some people are fighting, what decisions were made, etc, etc. No one gets offended if someone says "I really didn't agree with the choice <character> made." or "Man, I'm not sure that will end well for <character>." We understand that disagreeing with a character doesn't mean we disagree with them OOC and we understand that we are not our characters. We, of course, say lots of positive things too, but it's nice when the players don't get mad at each other for what characters do, and even better when the players can discuss each others characters' motivations and decisions without getting offended if they disagree. One of my favorite things to do is to talk shop, discuss whats going on with characters and discuss scenes - even when I wasn't even around for them. I really value that I'm able to do that with my group and it makes the story feel... more epic. We're talking like it's not just roleplay, but an overarching story and that's pretty cool.

The community in general? I think my favorite thing is how there are many, many, many different kind of groups on the Server. Some that follow lore strictly, some that don't, some that have super powerful characters, and others who play weaker ones. Since this is a large community and there are so many different opinions it's EASY to find a group that has your personal roleplaying style. I can tell you, in certain games it was never that easy, generally having to follow the ruleset of the small rp population. Here though, on Balmung, there are so many different kinds of RPers you WILL find a group that shares your views on roleplay if you try hard enough.
I like that the server has no specific ruleset on RP or what it should be. RP is different for everyone and it means something different to everyone. People aren't to agree on what "real" RP is and that's okay, as long as theirs a place for everyone to build their own sandbox. I've not heard of a lot of harassment related to RP Styles, and I think healthy debate on the forums is important and necessary to keep the community honest. I think Balmung does a lot of things right where a lot of games have done them wrong and FFXIV is a testament to the benefit of a large RP server. And its nice, too, that most of these different groups can co-exist with very little drama on the game.