Hydaelyn Role-Players
Alexander difficulty (and other things) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Alexander difficulty (and other things) (/showthread.php?tid=12427)

Pages: 1 2

Alexander difficulty (and other things) - Seriphyn - 07-05-2015

Quote:As a result, Alexander has both a normal (story) mode and a savage mode. The normal mode will be higher difficulty than that of the Extreme Primals, but easier than Second Coil of Bahamut's Savage Mode. 

Well, that's still quite the gate. But this should not be taken to be 100% reliable.

More here.

RE: Alexander difficulty (and other things) - Chris Ganale - 07-05-2015

Harder than EXs? Undecided I'm so dead. So much for easy mode story. D=

RE: Alexander difficulty (and other things) - Edgar - 07-05-2015

Quote:The design of the gear for white mages was not intended to have a 'feminine' look, specifically — rather, it was based on Final Fantasy I's iconic white mage, who happened to be a female character.

Excuse me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaLiWVTRVeU

RE: Alexander difficulty (and other things) - Aaron - 07-05-2015

Mmmmm Harder than Ex Primals.

Ima live through the same hell I did with L eviathan Ex when it first came out.

My body is ready.

RE: Alexander difficulty (and other things) - Kage - 07-06-2015

I'm pretty sure there's been a mistranslation / misunderstanding. Coil itself has been considered harder than the Extremes without echo and overgearing. It doesn't make sense to make Story mode the exact.same.thing and have... Savage even harder than Savage???!!

RE: Alexander difficulty (and other things) - Zyrusticae - 07-06-2015

That's weird.

I thought Alexander normal is supposed to be in-between Coil + Echo and the Crystal Tower series, while Alexander Savage is just slightly harder than regular Coil.

RE: Alexander difficulty (and other things) - Sarnai Kha - 07-06-2015

Savage+Savage=Double Savage. At least they did the math when making a difficult endgame, lol.

I think its good that they do this, so at least players can experience the normal mode for the story then dive into savage when they want to get serious about endgame or doing it for completionist stuff. In this way nobody is left out, everyone has a chance to get through it and experience the story and the hardcore players have their own corner they can run off too and put a sign over saying "No casuals allowed." lol.

RE: Alexander difficulty (and other things) - Edda - 07-06-2015

(07-06-2015, 12:23 AM)Kage Wrote: I'm pretty sure there's been a mistranslation / misunderstanding. Coil itself has been considered harder than the Extremes without echo and overgearing. It doesn't make sense to make Story mode the exact.same.thing and have... Savage even harder than Savage???!!

(07-06-2015, 12:40 AM)Zyrusticae Wrote: That's weird.

I thought Alexander normal is supposed to be in-between Coil + Echo and the Crystal Tower series, while Alexander Savage is just slightly harder than regular Coil.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Alexander Savage is going to be the one that is harder than the Ex Primals but not as bad as Savage SCoB. Making "story mode" harder than something like Ramuh Ex makes little sense. There is most likely a mix-up in there somewhere.

RE: Alexander difficulty (and other things) - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-06-2015

I hope it's about as hard as first coil, which, if you think back on it, was actually pretty easy.

People had no issue usually pugging anything up to t5, which even now is mostly only hard because dive bombs and tornados are very finicky. The real issue is that 2nd and 3rd coil became way more complicated and intricate. I think if they keep Alex on 1st coil level, it will be a good balance of challenge/accessibility.

RE: Alexander difficulty (and other things) - Cato - 07-07-2015

Since difficulty is entirely subjective it's hard to say whether or not it's 'too easy' or 'too hard' but I find myself pretty satisfied with the story version. It's reasonably challenging in that you'll wipe if people don't learn from their mistakes and focus on adhering to mechanics but it's not super complex to the point where it's very unlikely that a random group will succeed.

I enjoyed fighting each of the bosses with a preference for the third, final and first in that order. The groups I were in - formed through the duty finder - wiped a few times but we kept at it and nailed each boss after a few attempts.

I absolutely love the raid's aesthetics and music. It's really cool. I didn't actually think I'd like it at first, but I did.

RE: Alexander difficulty (and other things) - Marisa - 07-08-2015

I found the first 3 bosses to be a breeze, and this is coming from someone who never cleared turn 6. Mind you, this is on day 1. Nobody should be unable to get through this raid, if you're willing to try it a few times.

RE: Alexander difficulty (and other things) - Gegenji - 07-08-2015

I'd have to agree. I didn't have too much trouble except for the last boss... the first time through.

Running through the third and fourth fights again to try and get my drop, though, I've noticed that not knowing the mechanics (as a tank, specifically) will really hinder the party's effectiveness on the third boss. It goes from being what feels like a breeze to watching as a third to half your group just... explodes. Which I suppose is fitting - you definitely need to know the mechanics for the last boss in order to manage him.

I've actually only managed to down the last boss once over several attempts. It's always the second and last phases that seem to catch people. Second is just a "oh, you have to do this" sort of situation most of the time... and things go smoothly after that, but the final phase can get quite hectic - especially as a healer.

I'd go into more details, but I don't want to spoil any of the fights for anyone. Blush

RE: Alexander difficulty (and other things) - Tumensuns - 07-08-2015

Floor 1 and 2 were pretty easy, mechanically and all. Floor 3 had more concepts, but was fairly easy. Floor 4 requires a bit more coordination with the team, and I think that's the only fight so far that's equivalent to an Extreme Primal fight.

RE: Alexander difficulty (and other things) - Caspar - 07-09-2015

I'm done with it completely. I won't comment on how hard I think it is, as I raid frequently and my perception of what is difficult is skewed, but I will say it is fun, and its complexity is beyond that of some typical weekly towers bosses IMO. I'm certainly ready for HM, and would like to see the gear be unlocked for that.

Show Content

RE: Alexander difficulty (and other things) - Merri - 07-09-2015

The fights are fun, albeit a bit straight forward, but I suppose that's to be expected with what they were aiming at. Looking forward to savage, though. Already deep into speculation mode with my static on how they'll add onto pre-existing mechanics.

Kind of hope they add another tier of difficulty over savage, though. If it winds up sitting between coil and savage coil as they said, I'm worried about there not being another set of "you aren't going to clear this unless you have max vit melded crafted accessories and a lot of time on your hands" set of turns. Something for us hardcore raiders to really dig our teeth into again. But I suppose only time will tell on how difficult Alexander savage actually is.

(07-09-2015, 02:25 AM)Caspar Wrote:
Show Content

Show Content