Hydaelyn Role-Players
Every journey begins with a single step... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Every journey begins with a single step... (/showthread.php?tid=12465)

Every journey begins with a single step... - Syranelle Ironleaf - 07-07-2015

Greetings and Salutations!

First off, let me say that I've been playing FFXIV for about a month now and I'm thoroughly enjoying the game and community.  I've been lurking here on HRC for just about as long, though I am branching out with a post or two now and then.  

My Roleplay Background

I come from a fairly extensive roleplaying background, having started my roleplaying career early with Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and pretty much every subsequent edition since (except for you, 4th Edition...)  That love of roleplaying means that my video game collection is almost exclusively RPG titles; my reigning favorites being Skies of Arcadia for the Dreamcast (yes, I own one of those), Lunar: Silver Star Story and Lunar: Eternal Blue, and -- of course -- the Final Fantasy series of games.

I have experience in a wide variety of tabletop RPGs as well, including but not limited to:  Dungeons & Dragons (1.0 - 5.0 Editions), Superheroes/Villains Unlimited, G.U.R.P.S., Deadlands, Star Wars RPG (d6 Edition), Legend of the Five Rings, Seventh Sea, Ironclaw... and probably a few more titles I'm forgetting.  Needless to say, I've played a lot of them and dabbled in a whole lot more.  So, I'm no stranger to wide-ranging storylines or even playing the bit part when it's needed.  

Also within my background is a lot of forum-based roleplaying and cooperative writing for various communities.  This makes me well-versed in "sharing the story" as it were as well as being able to contribute to a story without needing to take the limelight.  In fact, some of my best roles have been as a supporting actress.

To go along with all of that, I'm also an aspiring author and frequent writer/blogger.  It means that I care very much about the quality of the roleplay moreso than the quantity or frequency of it.  My dearest love within roleplaying is character development.  I enjoy those stories and plotlines that change a character and mold them into something different, for better or for worse.

Even with all this under my belt, though, I am an absolute newbie when it comes to Final Fantasy XIV and the lore of Eorzea, particularly with my chosen character in an Elezen Duskwight.  I'm more than willing to learn and take constructive criticism to build a more believable character.  

That said...

My Character Background

I've always been a proponent of building a loose foundation rather than a rock-solid, impermeable background.  As I mentioned before, I love Character Development, so I leave my background fairly loose and somewhat vague.  This is intentional just in case there ever comes a point that another Player Character would like to be part of my character's history it can be written in with a minimum of fuss.

Now, given that the canon of the current world has the Calamity set at five years ago (and that most folks only have rough memories since) this works in my favor.  Syranelle, at present, began life after the Calamity as an Elezen Ranger that went topside to scavenge for food, supplies, and necessities.  She might have even committed a few acts of banditry in the process, as so many Duskwight seem known for.

However, in her forays she came across an old tome that spoke of Gelmorra, a place where the Duskwight might have once dwelt in peace.  Given the general animosity toward her people even in this Era, Syranelle often attempts to pass herself off as a Wildwood Elezen while she continues her search for more information about Gelmorra.  In essence, she becomes a Scholar. 

A Bit About Me, the Player

I am a 37-year old medically disabled woman (I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis, for the curious) and I have entirely too much free time on my hands most of the time.  So, you'll find me in-game a lot which makes me an ideal person to roleplay with or to run around questing or FATE farming with, particularly if you play late at night.  My hours of operation are typically 7pm (US Central Time) until 8am, though I often take breaks to watch movies, play other games, or do some writing/drawing.

In pretty much all the games I play, I have a chronic case of "helperitis" -- I enjoy helping people and pitching in where I can.  I've been known to donate in-game funds, items, or just that most precious commodity of time to people in large quantities.  (Sometimes even to my own detriment.  XD)  Beyond that, I tend to be a pretty easy-going personality, though I tend to steer clear of drama and any potential drama, particularly of the OOC variety.  I have enough stress in my life without adding to it from a video game.  

Beyond that, everything else is subjective, to be liked, loved, or hated by each person on an individual level.  So, getting to know me is probably your next best option!  

(Congratulations on making it this far!  You earn:  "The Great Wall of Text-troduction I" Achievement!)

RE: Every journey begins with a single step... - Virella - 07-07-2015

Welcome to Balmung, you are probably enjoying your stay here already so I wish for you to continue to have it be such in the future as well Smile!

RE: Every journey begins with a single step... - Tierney Weaver - 07-07-2015

Welcome. I'm looking forward to catch you in game!

RE: Every journey begins with a single step... - Syranelle Ironleaf - 07-07-2015

Thank you both very much!  I've enjoyed everything the game itself has had to offer thusfar, so I'm really looking forward to delving into the various stories that are out there!  ^_^

RE: Every journey begins with a single step... - Lekka Meyren - 07-07-2015

Welcome! I think you'll find a place here quite nicely, Eorzea and it's RP community offers a huge range of different RP, just have to find your favourite Big Grin

RE: Every journey begins with a single step... - Surilian - 07-07-2015

WELCOME! I won't repeat what the others said! But its a great community. Hope to see you around and you get your great share of rp stories.

RE: Every journey begins with a single step... - Faye - 07-07-2015

Hello there, welcome! \o/

RE: Every journey begins with a single step... - Erimmont Chevalier - 07-15-2015

As someone who's known Syranelle for years, I can say without a doubt that she's an incredible bonus to the community. Solid role-player and incredibly helpful to those who need an unbiased view or critique, as well as a famous healer back on our previous game. 

And now she can't escape me.

RE: Every journey begins with a single step... - Syranelle Ironleaf - 07-16-2015

(07-15-2015, 02:17 PM)Erimmont Chevalier Wrote: As someone who's known Syranelle for years, I can say without a doubt that she's an incredible bonus to the community. Solid role-player and incredibly helpful to those who need an unbiased view or critique, as well as a famous healer back on our previous game. 

And now she can't escape me.

Blush  D'aw, Monty... Thanks for such a glowing review!  Now, I just have to live up to the bar you've set!