Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Caravan [Closed] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: The Caravan [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=12542)

The Caravan [Closed] - Sasani - 07-11-2015

It had been a long day of work and dance practice with Aireiel Shipkeeper, and Jessika Saphir just wanted to be home.  She had contacted her lover Sasani Sani on their personal linkpearl to let her know she was on her way and Sani - bless her heart - had promised to have a nice, warm bath ready for her.

She walked in to find Sani humming quietly to herself, packing some of her things; a book here and there, checking the covers and first few pages and putting a couple more in, discarding most.  Some of her clothes were laid out on the bed, none that Jess recognized immediately.  These were not of the dark color pallet that Sani normally wore, but were instead muted brown and sand colors, meant for a mix of combat and comfort in the Thanalan desert.  They were well padded, but offered plenty of freedom of movement as well. Her large, two-handed axe was leaning against the wall by the door, as was her trusty ash staff.

“What is all this, love?”  Jess giggled lightly, putting her hands on her hips as she took in the mess.

Sani looked up with a squeak as Jess walked into the room, “Jess, love!  Welcome home, I have your bath ready.  I also have news for you,” she stated as she glanced around, looking at the mess of her things strewn about.  “It can wait for after your bath though.  You have had a hard day, and you must be beat.”

Jess laughed, shaking her head.  “Well, certainly, it was a long day but…”

“Go, I’ll clean this up and find us a bite to eat.”  She lovingly shooed Jess into the bath area, helped her disrobe and ensured the water was the correct temperature.  She lovingly kissed Jess on the neck, whispering “I love you, beautiful” in her ear before leaving.

The bath was warm and soothing, perfect for any other day when Jess didn’t have a mini explosion of clothing and gear strewn about her small house.  Sani’s “news” seemed to do with a trip, and it wasn’t looking to be a pleasure cruise out of Limsa Lominsa, either.  A pleasure cruise on a pirate ship, maybe.  She wondered for a moment if the Bloody Executioners ever took passengers along that weren’t prisoners or slaves...

Jess finished her bath and quickly dressed.  She walked back into the common area to find Sani cooking over the small fire in the fireplace, contentedly sitting cross-legged on a small cushion on the floor.  She came out and sat on the couch, giggling a little.

Sani turned and smiled up at her, shaking her head a little.  “You’re gonna force me to use this thing aren’t you?” Sani said, pointing at the couch.  She hopped up and bounded over to the couch, wrapping her arms tightly around the Elezen woman.  “I’m still not used to it.  The floor reminds me of being out on the caravan…”

“Well,” Jess stated, “You could always sit with me.” She pat her lap, smirking at the Lalafell.  Sani smiled and quickly climbed into Jess’s lap, doing her best not to put her full weight on Jess’s sore legs.

Jess giggled a little and wrapped her arms around Sani, pulling her in closer and resting her head on top of Sani’s.  Sani sighed, putting her hands on top of Jess’s in her lap.  “I missed you today, how did things go?” Jess asked, punctuating her question with a kiss to the top of Sani’s  head.

“It wasn’t bad.  I talked with father today.”  Sani gave Jess’s hands a squeeze, looking down into the fire a moment.  “I hadn’t had a chance to tell him about you, or even about us until now.”

Jess’s blush darkened more, and she glanced down at the back of Sani’s head.  "I know he knows about you...what did you tell him about me?"

Sani giggled.  "Well, I told him that you were beautiful, and smart, and made me happy....and a little taller than me...."  She tilted her back a bit and leaned backward, letting Jess see the mischievous grin on her face.

Jess giggled at that, giving the smaller woman a squeeze.  "A little?"

"Okay, maybe a little more than a little."

Jess laughed some more, before kissing Sani’s head again.  "I'll say...What did he say about that?"

Sani hesitated.  “He wants me to come back to the caravan.”

RE: The Caravan [Closed] - Jessika Saphir - 07-14-2015

Jess’s smile faded quickly, and she instinctively tightened her embrace a little.  She had only known Sani a month now, maybe even a little less, but the thought of being without her - even for just a few days - filled her with dread.

If Sani was aware of Jess’s feelings, she didn’t immediately show it.  After another pause, she looked up again, an impish grin spreading over her face.  “He wants me to bring you with me.  He wants to meet this raven-haired beauty who stole his little girl’s heart.”

Jess blushed, and looked a bit surprised at this comment.  "I...I'm...speechless love...He...what?” She blushed and squeezed Sani again.  “However,” she continued, “I regret nothing about stealing, though you were the thief in the night.”

Sani giggled and pulled Jess' arms around her a little tighter, "There was no theft, I gave it freely.  And,” she continued,tapping Jess’s hands to get the other woman to let her go, “he wants you to come along with me. It's kind of twofold really." she added nonchalantly.  She hopped down to the floor and moved quickly to the fire, turning the now charred kabobs in an attempt to salvage the meal.

Jess, still a little flustered at the thought being introduced to Sani’s parents stammered, “I...wow, I don't know what to say…”

Sani giggled.  "You should probably start with something like 'I'll ask Garry if I can go.'"

Jess laughed and nodded.  "I guess that's a start...wow, hon, I'm...this is a surprise."

"It's not just a 'meet the parents' kinda thing love.  Well, it sorta is.  But it's also to provide protection for the caravan.  Your ability with the bow will come in handy where we’re going, anyway.”  Sani turned her attention back to the kabobs, still explaining to Jess.  “We will not only be meeting father, but we will also be providing support and security as they travel from Horizon, through the deserts, and over to Camp Drybone.”  

Jess laughed teasingly, “I've never been on a caravan before.  It sounds as if you're bringing me to work!”

Sani smiled "The caravan is so nice and relaxing, for the most part.  And yes, there may be some work, but only if we get attacked."

Jess wrapped Sani in a hug, happy, but still a little apprehensive.  “Are you sure?” she asked.

Sani looked up into Jess’ eyes, “Sure about what love?”

“That you want me...to meet your parents?”

Sani beamed with delight, “Well...yes, I’m sure.  This trip you'll meet father for sure.” Sani paused and looked down, still holding Jess’ hands tightly.  “And...I guess we can go see mom, I...I want her to meet you.”  Sani nodded, looking back up at Jess with renewed confidence.  “Yes, I absolutely want you to meet them.  Will you come with me?  Your company will mean a great deal to me.  Besides,” she added with a squeeze of the hand, “it will give us a chance to be out of the house for a few days.”

The pair enjoyed what was left of their meal, Jess giggling at their forgetfulness while Sani looked mortified about the ruined meal.  They discussed when they would be leaving, how’d they be traveling, what to pack, what to wear.  Jess was familiar enough with the region - she had grown up in the borderland area between the Shroud and Thanalan - but she listened intently as the Lalafell spoke.

“It’s a very rough part of the desert adjacent to the Black Shroud, and many caravans are attacked there.  Ours lost an entire section back before the Calamity.”  Sani took another bite of her burnt kabob, washing it down quickly with a gulp of juice.  “We lost family with that one; our cousins, Sai and Fif, their parents were part of it.  An advance scouting party for the Garlean empire found them and killed the whole caravan.”  Sani shook her head, pausing for a moment.  She finally took another bite of meat before continuing.  “Because of this, Sai and Fif felt like they were to blame for what happened.  They trained even harder and battled on the fields of Carteneau against the Garleans, to make them pay for what they had done to their parents.

“A few years ago, during another raid, our mother got pinned under a carriage.”  Sani paused again, biting her bottom lip.  She sniffled a little, and finally worked up the courage to continue.  “She survived the wreck, but died a few days later due to complications.”

Jess gasped, covering her mouth with her hands.  “Oh love...I’m so sorry…”

“Sari and I were in Limsa at the time: there was nothing we could have done.  It was...a freak accident, but I promised myself that no one that I cared about would ever die again on that trek as long as I was alive.  So, a couple years ago, Sari and I were out with them, we were attacked,” Sani paused her story, reaching up and touching the scar on her shoulder that Jess had seen a few times, and continued on.  “We all survived and made it to Drybone.  I’ve made the trek there and back every year.”  She looked up at Jess, smiling wide now.  “I’m glad you will be there to watch my back this year.”

They continued talking into the night, talking and laughing, before finally making their way to bed.  They fell asleep, curled up in each others’ arms, dreaming about the adventure that awaited them.

RE: The Caravan [Closed] - Sasani - 07-21-2015

The days passed, coming ever closer to the time to depart.  Sani and Jess had talked to Sasari Sari, Sani’s twin sister, and she decided she would come as far as Horizon to meet with their father for a bit, enjoy a meal together, and then part ways the next morning.  Sari would bring along any necessary records and pay for the extra members of security; she would not, however, be joining them on the trek, deciding she would “not be a burden on the caravan,” putting herself or her sister in danger.  She did promise that the next time she would go, after much archery practice with Jess.

The day arrived and Sani, Jess, and Sari left early from Ul’dah to make the trek out to Horizon before the summer sun climbed too high into the air.  They made good time, deciding to walk in order to save Sari from the horrible teleport sickness she so often got.

They arrived in Horizon a little before midday and were met by the girls’ father, a wide smile spread on his face and a cold waterskin in his hand.  He passed the skin to the girls, Jess first out of respect for one visiting the caravan, and she took a measured drink before passing it to Sari and finally Sani.  They were brought indoors, out of the sun, where a small banquet of fruit and juice had been spread on a long, low table.  Everyone sat around, sitting on cushions, enjoying the company and companionship.  Sari sat to their father’s right and Sani to the left with Jess seated next to her.

“So this is the woman who has captured my daughter’s heart,” their father said, grinning proudly at Sani and Jess.  “I can see why, you are truly beautiful.  I would like to be the first to welcome you to our little family.  Please, make yourself at home” he continued, popping a grape into his mouth and pointing at the food placed on the table.

Sani quickly followed his implied command, loading her small plate with a wide array of fruits from rolanberries and pineapple to apples and grapes.  Once she had her pile of fruit, she topped it with freshly made whipped cream. Her eyes caught Jess’ and she smiled, “I’m glad you were able to come along,” she whispered once they were sitting again.

After lunch, the girls’ father, Sasanecco Vavanecco, took them around to introduce Jess to the rest of the caravan members.  Some were longtime members that the girls knew from the time they had spent living with them, while others were new faces trying to make a place for themselves in the world.  Each family had a story to tell, some about the hard times of the chocobo blight, others of the calamity destroying livelihoods, but all with one thing in common; the girls father had come just in time to save them in one way or another.  To band them together as a family and a community.

The girls also had a chance to look at the wares of some of the members.  Some were traders of textiles, others in armor, a few did various types of jewelry, some herbs and spices, and an elderly fortuneteller who would read the cards for a person for a small fee.  Jess smiled as she went along, mystified by the surrealness of it all.  “Caravans stopped in my village all the time,” she explained to Sani as they moved through the gathering.  “I always thought the peddlers exotic and foreign...this is like stepping into my childhood again.”

After meeting each of the families, Sari and their father had other business to attend to, looking over the ledgers and attending to the pay for the extra protection that their father had hired on for the dangerous journey.  Sani and Jess took the opportunity to stow their gear in Sasanecco’s wagon.  Neither of them had brought much with them other than the necessities, so they were able to rest a little before dinner.

Sasanecco called everyone together for one last dinner in Horizon, the last large gathering that would be had inside of at least a week.  And, oh, what a dinner it was!  There was meat from every kind of beast in Thanalan, many kinds of bread, cheeses galore, popotos made in a multitude of ways, and no less than a dozen different salads, from your fresh garden variety, to a pasta salad with olives, a popoto salad.  So much food filled the tables, the air was a conglomeration of wonderful aromas of cooking and food, and sounds of laughter and excited conversations filled the air.  Everyone was restless and ready to go.  They had been here in Horizon for the last four moons and they were ready to be on the way again.

Once again, the girls sat at their father’s table to dine with him.  Before the meal, he stood and cleared his throat.  All of the other conversations immediately died, and all eyes were on the small caravan master.  “I have an announcement to make!  As you have all may have noticed, my two little girls are here with us this evening.”  He motioned towards the twins with outstretched arms, a proud smile on his face.  “They and their friend have come to meet each of you, to hear your stories.  While they may live outside the caravan, they are still one of us.  Sasari ensures that all of our hard work does not go unpaid.  Under her watchful eye, the caravan has near doubled our yearly income!”  There were a few cheers and a small round of polite applause, causing the timid woman to shrink somewhat more, looking down at her plate.  “And Sasani,” he continued, “she has joined us every few moons to help ensure that we make it safely on our trip.  This year she has brought someone special to her who will also be helping to defend us this trip.  So, as you can see, even though they aren’t with us the whole year, they are here for us the whole year.”  He smiled warmly at his daughters and Jess, before turning back to the gathering.  He waved his arms, laughing a little.  “Please, everyone eat, drink a little, enjoy the evening and get to bed early.  Tomorrow, we head out towards Camp Drybone.”

Their father ended his speech and sat down again.  Everyone waited respectfully until Sasanecco began to eat to start their own meals.  The room was once again filled with conversations among the families and the hired hands.  The meal ended early and each family retired to their own wagon or room to rest for the night, preparing for the coming week.  The girls had a room together and after making a few final preparations, the three fell asleep.

RE: The Caravan [Closed] - Jessika Saphir - 08-18-2015

The caravan traveled at a leisurely pace, stopping at smaller settlements here and there as it continued to Camp Drybone.  The region was familiar to Jessika, in the borderlands of the Shroud and Thanalan.  They’d passed many adventurers on the road, trading and repairing gear.  Every night seemed to be another cause for celebration and a feast, though not of the same extravagance as that first night.  Familiar with the surroundings, Jessika would go hunting when they stopped, bringing fresh meat for the evening meals.  Every night she’d slept under the stars, curled up next to Sani.

The last town they had camped near was now half a day behind them, and the next was still several bells away.  Jess and Sani were resting, riding in a wagon instead of walking along with the mercenaries as they had for most of the morning.

“I think you’d be fine with a bow, love.”

Sani smirked.  “Oh love, I’ll pick up a bow if you pick up an axe.  How about that?”

Jess opened her mouth to reply when a sharp whistling sound caused her to stop.  She glanced around in alarm.

Sani looked confused for only a moment before a scream rang out.  Both girls jumped from the wagon in a rush, following the sound.

One of the men in the caravan, a leather-worker, was lying on the ground gripping his arm and clenching his teeth in pain.  An arrow with black fletchings stuck out from his forearm, and blood rushed from the wound as a healer came running to join him.

Without any orders the caravan halted, the wagons immediately circling to form a wall around the rest of the party.  Drivers unhitched their chocobos while sellswords and a few of the caravan members retrieved their weapons and moved outside the barrier.  Jessika watched, impressed by the quick reaction.

She felt a tap on her arm, and looked down to see Sasanecco offering her her bow and quiver.  “Jessika, it’s time to see if you’re as good with your bow at taking out an enemy as you are at supplying us with a good meal,” Sani’s father said, always one to break the tension with a joke.

Behind him, Jess saw Sani buckling on bracers and leg guards, her war axe leaning against the wagon she had pulled it from.  She checked her armor one last time and picked up her giant axe.  Her father was by her side, hefting a greatsword out of the wagon.  Sani looked at her father and grinned.  “It’s been a good long time since we’ve played together, Papa.  Think you can keep up with your little girl?”

Her father took one last look at her, smiling tauntingly.  “You think I taught you everything I know?  The master must keep some back in order to remain the master.”  He moved out from behind the protection of the wagons and charged at the bandits, leaving Sani and Jess staring at each other in surprise.

Jess finally shrugged, letting a small smirk play on her lips.  “Love you.”

Sani grinned wide.  “Love you, too.”

The girls moved out from behind cover and joined the fight.  The sellswords earned their pay and then some, but the caravan would tell the story after of how the leader, his daughter, and her lover defeated the horde.

The movements of the tall Elezen were near impossible to follow, as Jess fired arrow after arrow into the fray, some coming within inches of those holding back the horde.  Her aim was true, her confidence and skills honed from over a decade of practice.  When a hole would be opened in the line, Sani would jump into it, bashing one here, cutting another, leaving a trail of dead or dying behind her.  Her father was not holding back either, every slash of his sword relieving another attacker of an extremity.  The two small dervishes rolled through the enemy, a rain of arrows combining with the storms.

As the battle waged on, the enemy began to relent and finally broke, turning to make their escape back into the safety of the Shroud.  Their archers covered their retreat as a rain of arrows fell to hold the advancing sellswords at bay.  Sani and her father had seen the tactic before and held their ground, anticipating another attack; if the losses were too great, the raiders would likely abandon the attack, searching for easier prey.  Looking at the mass of dead or dying on the ground, it was a safe bet that they would not be returning.

Sani turned once more to her father, still smiling, “You didn’t do half bad, old man.” She giggled as she teased her father.

“Look here, you young pup!  You know I can best you any day!”  Sasanecco smiled wide.  “It’s good to see you’ve been keeping with your training at least.  You did well today, as did your lady friend.”  He pointed at Jess as she fired another volley after the fleeing bandits, felling another.  “She’s a keeper, little one:  you did well in choosing her.”

They waited to ensure the battle was truly over before Sani and her father made their way back to the wagons along with the remaining mercenaries, stopping from time to time to end the suffering of one of the enemy who hadn’t yet passed on.  They piled the bodies of the attackers and burned them, saw to their own wounded, and moved on, hoping to make the next settlement by dusk.