Hydaelyn Role-Players
Regarding Au Ra speech - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Regarding Au Ra speech (/showthread.php?tid=12547)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Regarding Au Ra speech - Senryo - 07-12-2015

I've seen a lot of Au Ra using things like <> to denote speaking either Doman or broken Doman, I was wondering if there was any lore to back this up? I know they've mentioned Eorzean being "foreign" and that Raen straight up use the Japanese naming structure but I have yet to actually see any definitive proof that this is what Au Ra should be doing.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Sarnai Kha - 07-12-2015

Hi.

While there is no scenario that shows them speaking in a foreign language, this is because the MPC (the WoL) has the Echo, which allows him/her to understand languages across all races naturally without any prior knowledge beforehand.

And as you can see in most cutscenes during 2.2-2.4 most of the Doman's never had any dialog with anybody except the WoL and other people who had the echo. Most believe that this is because they were either learning to speak the native tongue of Eorzeans or simply didnt know it. In 3.0+, we see some doman's talking to native Eorzeans so this can be believed that at this point and time, most doman's are capable of speaking some level of Eorzean or whatever they want to call it.

Hope this awnsers your question at any rate, because people speaking Doman is a thing ICly, there is just no phyisical example shown to us because of the Echo.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - allgivenover - 07-12-2015

The naming conventions post features actual Japanese characters and translations of their meanings.

The way I see it you couldn't have a very detailed and robust naming system that has a base in a solidly well defined and understood foreign language and ALSO have that language be completely dead in daily use.

But no, we don't have anything to go on that suggests Domans speak anything but whatever Eozean's speak other that what we've extrapolated about the WoL. There's nothing that directly states they speak Doman.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - X'nath - 07-12-2015

There's no proof that they can't do so.. personally wouldn't be terribly surprised if Doma/Othard did have their own language, especially on the Xaela side of the Au Ra since only maybe one or two tribes interacted with either Raen/Doman or Eorzean people.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-12-2015

I think it's just a matter of RP/personal preference.

Because the Echo gives us (as the single-player) the ability to understand all languages, we never really see if it's a result of everyone speaking a common tongue of if our characters just happen to be fluent in everything.

There's a gradient of people who RP between [everyone speaks the same thing all the time and everywhere] <-> [Each race/nation has its own language, or had its own language once]

Personally, I like to think that some nations have certain other languages. Like Ishgard, Garlemald and Doma. And I'd imagine some Sea Wolves might possibly practice their old language. Miqo'te as well.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - allgivenover - 07-12-2015

I lean towards believing that they do have their own language but it's also true that we have no proof for it.

Honestly though it wouldn't make much sense if they didn't, but then again the fact that a nomadic culture that's existed for thousands of years never made it over to Eorzea in a meaningful way before 3.0 doesn't make sense either, but here we are.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Aysun - 07-12-2015

I think people are operating on the assumption that many Auri are Far Eastern (which includes Doma), or are straight up playing Doman Auri. Domans are shown in game to have Japanese as their native tongue (see NIN quests if nothing else).

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Cato - 07-12-2015

I think it adds a lot of flavour to the game world for each race/nation to have its own language so if it can be pulled off in a plausible manner than I'm all for it!

I would, however, urge that people do it tastefully. I've seen a fair few role-players have their character use terms that don't really fit the setting (such as 'senpai') or they're borderline offensive in their implications by using stuff like 'herro'.

One good way to show a character as not being able to speak a language very well is to simply have them struggle to describe something or use the correct word if it's something fairly uncommon that they're addressing.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Flynn Rosenberg - 07-12-2015

I don't really see where in the MSQ people are saying the WoL can understand Doman through the Echo. There's not a scene where a Doman NPC says "You can understand me?", I assume they speak the same language as Eorzeans. Just because they are Japanese inspired doesn't mean they speak Japanese. I'd like to see a full sentence spoken in Doman language, if they have any, to be proven otherwise.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Faye - 07-12-2015

(07-12-2015, 02:59 PM)Flynn Rosenberg Wrote: I don't really see where in the MSQ people are saying the WoL can understand Doman through the Echo. There's not a scene where a Doman NPC says "You can understand me?", I assume they speak the same language as Eorzeans. Just because they are Japanese inspired doesn't mean they speak Japanese. I'd like to see a full sentence spoken in Doman language, if they have any, to be proven otherwise.

This is pretty much how I feel. If we're basing everything on naming conventions, then we'll also have to assume Elezen speak French when there's just no evidence of that. I don't mind if people want to assume Doma has its own language--I just don't see any reference to it in the MSQ. Yugiri doesn't even have an accent and speaks flawless English (or whatever we'd like to refer to as the common tongue).

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Seriphyn - 07-12-2015

Hey, if Au Ra are roleplayed to speak Japanese, I insist y'all roleplay in British English, as per the MSQ dialogue!

Gehe.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Aysun - 07-12-2015

(07-12-2015, 02:59 PM)Flynn Rosenberg Wrote: I don't really see where in the MSQ people are saying the WoL can understand Doman through the Echo. There's not a scene where a Doman NPC says "You can understand me?", I assume they speak the same language as Eorzeans. Just because they are Japanese inspired doesn't mean they speak Japanese. I'd like to see a full sentence spoken in Doman language, if they have any, to be proven otherwise.

The NIN storyline - your Doman trainer often makes comments about having to learn Eorzean, and you are helping him to learn it properly. He also says things like 'in my language the word is..' and says a Japanese word. Evidence is there that Domans speak Japanese.

(07-12-2015, 03:15 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Hey, if Au Ra are roleplayed to speak Japanese, I insist y'all roleplay in British English, as per the MSQ dialogue!

Gehe.

I do. Wink (Or, mostly. I go close to Limsan!)

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Sarnai Kha - 07-12-2015

Going into spoiler territory here.

Then explain how the WoL is able to understand Dragon speak during the 3.0 MSQ if the echo doesn't allow it.

Its mentioned at one point during the 2.0 MSQ that the echo does allow people who have it to understand everyone regardless of race or language. Though im not sure when, it is mentioned.

As for the doman thing, its probably a writing oversight. Either way, my counter point to the argument that they dont say that is that they never spoke to anyone except other fellow doman's or people with the Echo.

Just because someone seem's to speak flawless english to you while you have the echo doesnt mean that they are actually speaking flawless english. The echo is kind of like an auto-translator and filter's what they are saying into a language that you already know or understand.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-12-2015

(07-12-2015, 03:20 PM)Aysun Wrote:

The NIN storyline - your Doman trainer often makes comments about having to learn Eorzean, and you are helping him to learn it properly. He also says things like 'in my language the word is..' and says a Japanese word. Evidence is there that Domans speak Japanese.

You mean Doman! But the point is that they do likely speak some other language hen super-duper MSQ hero isn't around, not that it would matter much because the game -does- tell us that our Echo powers include being able to understand all languages. Otherwise, we wouldn't know what many of the beast tribes, moogles and dragon are saying.

(07-12-2015, 03:20 PM)Aysun Wrote:
(07-12-2015, 03:15 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Hey, if Au Ra are roleplayed to speak Japanese, I insist y'all roleplay in British English, as per the MSQ dialogue!

Gehe.

I do. Wink (Or, mostly. I go close to Limsan!)

...but it's not really British English that they speak in game. Some NPCs use some more...archaic terms, but I can't imagine all of them are actively in use across the sea, so to speak.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Virella - 07-12-2015

Gehe.
What about us roleplayers who already do this : <?

Bit OT perhaps, but often I can figure out within few sentences if people are US or EU roleplayers due to this little difference!

However I guess this would be a nice question for the devs someday! I personally would not go "Hey my elezen speaks French, or hey my Doman speaks Japanese." until we get some confirmation on it at least.