Hydaelyn Role-Players
Heroes of Myth/Fiction/Folkore, etc.? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Heroes of Myth/Fiction/Folkore, etc.? (/showthread.php?tid=12584)

Heroes of Myth/Fiction/Folkore, etc.? - 13uddy - 07-14-2015

I'm sorry if this is a bit of an odd question, and I hope I'm asking in the correct area.

Is there any lore about fictional heroes within the setting?  I don't mean rumors about existing (living or recently deceased) characters, but something akin to Robin Hood, King Arthur, Hercules and similar characters, although legends of long dead heroes could fit the category in a pinch.  Alternately, has anyone created anything like this for use in their RP that they are willing to share?

The reason I ask is because I have planned for my character to have a minor obsession with these kinds of characters and stories.  He grew up hearing these stories about heroes who helped people and wished to emulate their examples, and even after he was old enough to realize they were fictional (or possibly exaggerated in the case of beings that actually existed) he still wished to follow that dream to some degree.  Not in a completely delusional way, but similar to someone in real life that grew up as a fan of superheroes and became a cop, EMT, soldier or other similar profession where they could help people.  

I'll be honest, I'm fully expecting to have to work something up myself, and I'm okay with that.  I've done it in the past and I find it really fun to build a story that takes place within another story.  But I'd love to be able to reference any existing lore (official or RP lore alike) if there is any that I just haven't come across yet.

RE: Heroes of Myth/Fiction/Folkore, etc.? - Hammersmith - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 12:13 PM)13uddy Wrote: I'm sorry if this is a bit of an odd question, and I hope I'm asking in the correct area.

Is there any lore about fictional heroes within the setting?  I don't mean rumors about existing (living or recently deceased) characters, but something akin to Robin Hood, King Arthur, Hercules and similar characters, although legends of long dead heroes could fit the category in a pinch.  Alternately, has anyone created anything like this for use in their RP that they are willing to share?

The reason I ask is because I have planned for my character to have a minor obsession with these kinds of characters and stories.  He grew up hearing these stories about heroes who helped people and wished to emulate their examples, and even after he was old enough to realize they were fictional (or possibly exaggerated in the case of beings that actually existed) he still wished to follow that dream to some degree.  Not in a completely delusional way, but similar to someone in real life that grew up as a fan of superheroes and became a cop, EMT, soldier or other similar profession where they could help people.  

I'll be honest, I'm fully expecting to have to work something up myself, and I'm okay with that.  I've done it in the past and I find it really fun to build a story that takes place within another story.  But I'd love to be able to reference any existing lore (official or RP lore alike) if there is any that I just haven't come across yet.

The WAR job quests specifically name "Legendary Warriors" like Iron Eater and Mythril Heart.  

Iron Eater was a literal beast of a fighter who built a heroic sized mythos around his dealings and doings, as well as his weapon (Which plays a role in making your Relic back before HW was released). He was an actual person, with some leftover records about his dealings, his weapons, and his style in combat.

Mythril heart is a mythical hero warrior who went around -murdering giant beasts- for fun.  There's talk in the WAR post 50 job quests about how he ripped arms off behemoths bare handed and the like, that kind of hero myth stuff. Most of his stuff is so far out there it's become children's tales and the like because of how extreme it is. You'd think he was a folk myth but you go and -dig up his axe- in the post 50 lead in quests. So there's that.

Edit: A lot of the historical holders of the Azure Dragoon position has this as well, giant mythilogical battles of one guy and a lot of badass beasts, once you hit Ishgarde.

The Crystal Tower also has a "Legendary Being" tale in it, but I'm not gonna spoil that one. Go climb Circus Tower and see what happens.

RE: Heroes of Myth/Fiction/Folkore, etc.? - Gegenji - 07-14-2015

If nothing else, the Warrior of Light is technically a living mythical hero in the setting. He was instrumental in stopping both the Garleans and multiple Primals. And he's well-known enough that it could be someone your character could be super-stoked about seeing or meeting. Him and/or anyone who plays as a WoL-style character... which would make for some amusing interactions.

Speaking of Primals, a couple of them are heroic figures for the people that summon them - King Moggle Mog and Shiva being good examples of this. Beyond that, all that I can think of offhand are the folks who took down Titan through wave tactics that you meet in the MSQ. There's also few other heroes that come to mind - the Azure Dragoon himself being one for the Ishgardians, several of the people identified in the relic quests (Wiyu and Sasuke, for example) and the Moogles even mention a great Moogle hero named Mog.

As for more literary heroes... I don't know of any offhand, though I would like to as well. Chachan is a similar sort in that he's heard and read all sorts of hero stories. Except, he's doing the dumb thing and wanting to be an actual hero, rather than something more reasonable like your character seems to. Laugh

Ultimately, when asked about the books and stuff he has, I make up stuff. My favorite is the pair of Miner brothers who get transported to a world being terrorized by a very nasty Adamantoise. Or the tale of the couerl prince who was chased away from his home by his uncle and ultimately came back to reclaim his territory with the help of a Gobbie and a Qirin. Just have fun with it, and I'm sure people won't ask too many questions.

RE: Heroes of Myth/Fiction/Folkore, etc.? - Melkire - 07-14-2015

There's plenty. The Zodiac Braves, for instance, are all mythical heroes, and what we have in lore on them comes from the legendary weapons they wielded. The various Relic Quests give quite a bit of insight.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/212106-Relic-and-Zodiac-Braves-Weapons-Consolidated-lore-post

A-Towa-Cant, Shatotto, Wiyu, Iron Eater, Sasuke, Ivon Coeurlfist, Mirza, Jhal Tristram and the Sultansworn wielders of Joyeuse and Durandal, Haldrath and Saint Reinette, Gilbert, Golbas Rombas... and so on.

RE: Heroes of Myth/Fiction/Folkore, etc.? - -no longer matters- - 07-14-2015

Thordan and his 12 knights come to mind, They're practically patron Saints of Ishgard and heroes of Legend in Ishgard.

RE: Heroes of Myth/Fiction/Folkore, etc.? - 13uddy - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 12:25 PM)Gegenji Wrote: As for more literary heroes... I don't know of any offhand, though I would like to as well. Chachan is a similar sort in that he's heard and read all sorts of hero stories. Except, he's doing the dumb thing and wanting to be an actual hero, rather than something more reasonable like your character seems to. Laugh

Well, I wouldn't say my character is completely reasonable.  He leans toward the sensible side, but there is still a part of him that wants to emulate the heroes of stories and legends more closely.  And even from an OOC viewpoint, I'll admit I keep looking at the Tetsuji Usagi Kabuto helmets and thinking "That would be a great helmet for a hero disguise!".  Big Grin

And thank you for all the info, everyone!

RE: Heroes of Myth/Fiction/Folkore, etc.? - Zelmanov - 07-14-2015

According to the Minion, Kain is a legendary dragoon that forsake his duty for honor, a popular Ishgardian children's tale

RE: Heroes of Myth/Fiction/Folkore, etc.? - Gegenji - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 01:01 PM)13uddy Wrote: And even from an OOC viewpoint, I'll admit I keep looking at the Tetsuji Usagi Kabuto helmets and thinking "That would be a great helmet for a hero disguise!".  Big Grin

Chachan...  um... wears one in his normal combat armor. To honor the rabbit spirit. Being fleet of foot and all that to make up that he's a wee dude.

RE: Heroes of Myth/Fiction/Folkore, etc.? - Faye - 07-14-2015

I skimmed it and didn't see the mentioned, but the Company of Heroes (albeit while very much real and still living) who fell some Primals are apparently rather famous.

RE: Heroes of Myth/Fiction/Folkore, etc.? - Blue - 07-14-2015

The Warriors of Light from 1.0 are sort of legendary heroes, but nobody remembers their face, so they are more of a "figure". You know they existed, you know they did this and that, but you don't recall their faces. People remember them as many silhouettes of men and women standing against a great white light, hence the title. In very poor terms, it refers to all those who were at the Battle of Cartenau and got time-jumped (not like those who didn't get time-jumped or died at Cartenau weren't heroes, but the time-jump is the requirement for the "amnesia" from the other common citizens, who will, again, only remember them as figures standing against the light).

The 2.0 Warrior of Light is just that adventurer who, because of his/her deeds, is being compared to the real Warriors of Light (those from 1.0). Considering the very loose requirements that are necessary to be compared to those heroes, it is easy to understand that multiple people may be branded as such, as not only a single person is deemed to fight primals, or battle against the Empire, or save lives in general.

RE: Heroes of Myth/Fiction/Folkore, etc.? - Sounsyy - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 12:13 PM)13uddy Wrote: Is there any lore about fictional heroes within the setting?

LOTS. Here's a list of a few I could think of off the top of my head.
  • The Twelve - Twelve legendary gods believed to have walked Eorzea and brought life to all Hydaelyn in the time before Eras, known as the Time of the Twelve.

• The Warriors of Light - Legendary heroes said to aid the world in its time of need between every Umbral Era.
    Quote:Minion of Light
    Ancient records show that almost every Astral Era has had its own Warriors of Light - brave souls who appeared before forthcoming disasters to unite the people of that time... only to disappear once again as catastrophe rains down from the heavens.

• Saint Daniffen - An Ishgardian Saint famed for valorously slaying the Basilisk, Daniffen is depicted on the Valor Guildleve Card.
    Quote:Daniffen's Mark
    The Ishgardian legend of Saint Daniffen tells us that the dragoon would oft practice his lancework on the shores of the mighty Coerthas River. To better his aim that it might always be true, he sought only the nimblest of seema to serve as his marks.

• The Zodiac Braves - Legendary Warriors from Thavnairian myth. Very few are named.
    Zodiac Sphere Scrolls Wrote:In an era long since ended
    When chaos reigned o'er all the land
    Did valiant souls take up the fight
    To bring forth Light and cast out Dark
    They numbered Twelve, no more nor less
    Quote:Ages past, a wise and just king reigned over all Ilsabard. A blade such as this graced his scabbard in times of peace, and brought terror to his foes in times of strife! And his shield? A twin to the one you hold, unwavering, unyielding, unbreaking.
    Quote:When cataclysm loomed over the Near East, the hero Mirza arose to defend the people from fell fiends. Once he had torn the monsters apart, he raised a mighty empire- and fashioned a pair of weapons such as these from his foes' claws!
    Quote:An ancient hero seized a weapon like this from a voidsent lord. At the time it was taken, legend tells us it was a sword. Yet later, it transformed to match the bent of its wielder and became a might battleaxe.
    Quote:It was holy blood that gave divine might to the original polearm of Longinus. However it was only once the hero set forth upon a great pilgrimage to atone for his part in the execution of a saint that the gods lent him their strength.
    Quote:Behold, the likeness of the longbow once drawn by Yoichi, the famed archer of the Far East! Ancient legend says that the hero could loose a shaft so true as to pierce the eye of a sea serpent, even amidst a raging tempest!
    Quote:After long years spent spurring worldly desires, a Near Eastern hierarch rose to a higher state of being. And as he did, life itself quickened within his trusty staff, the very twin of which you now hold!
    Quote:Tales tell of an archmagus who struck down the voidsent queen Lilith when she manifested in our realm. As his prize, he claimed her weapon—the incarnation of which you now grasp in your hand!

• Mistbeard - An infamous Pirate King. Legend says that he is many men, each Mistbeard passing his legacy onto a successor. No one knows if all of the stories are true.

• Jhal Tristram
    Gerolt Wrote:Jhal Tristram the True, one of the three first paladins. Story goes that, when the first sultan of Ul'dah formed the Sultansworn, he had three swords forged from the same ore used to make Oathkeeper─one for each of his champions. Curtana was one of the blades, an' it was laid to rest with its master when he kicked the bucket. Rumor has it, though, that Jhal Tristram's tomb was plundered recently, an' Curtana taken.
    Gerolt Wrote:It contains tales of Jhal Tristram's exploits. Turns out I already knew most of it. To give ye the gist of it: a young Tristram goes afore the sultan, he pledges him his sword, the Sultansworn are formed, Tristram defeats an Amalj'aa pugilist in a famous duel, then sets off on a quest to retrieve the Sacred Goblet... Things get a bit fanciful from then on, but cuttin' a long story short, Curtana does get a mention. Four crystals embedded in the guard an' the ashes of a saint in the hilt─these're the sword's secrets. In the old days, it was common practice to forge a weapon usin' body parts. A bit morbid, I grant ye, but folk back then believed the spirits of the dead offered the bearer protection.

• Iron Eater
    Gerolt Wrote:It follows the life of Iron Eater, the legendary sellsword...or maybe sellaxe, who lived five centuries ago. The man was the ultimate warrior, if the account's to be believed. With the amount of coin Iron Eater demanded for his services, they say ye could hire a whole bleedin' army. ...That, or keep me in mead for a fortnight! Hra hra hra! A-Ahem! Anyroad, I managed to find mention of Bravura in amongst all the maimin' an' killin'. Like any warrior worth his salt, Iron Eater wielded a Bravura...but there was a tellin' difference: his axe head was forged to weigh double the usual. Not a weapon for the faint of heart, I tell ye.

• Mythril Heart - A legendary hero and Warrior.
    Broken Mountain Wrote:There are descriptions of the techniques used by the hero Mythril Heart, but the details are difficult to swallow. No warrior - alive or dead - can rip off a behemoth's arm with his bare hands.

• Mistalle - Likely a reference to FFXI's Louverance Mistalle.
    Quote:The Lancers' Guild
    Founded by the legendary Wood Wailer captain Mistalle, the Lancers' Guild doubles as a headquarters for those who keep the peace within Gridania, and the greater peace without. It is to these "Wailing Barracks" that people come with matters whose resolution requires a polearm's edge, and justice meted out to those who have wronged the forest or forestborn.

• Lady Urth - Possibly one in the same woman as Wiyu??
    Quote:Urth's Gift
    Ancient writings tell that in exchange for her lifeblood, Lady Urth was able to seal the Dark Divinity Odin in a crystalline prison beneath a bubbling wellspring. To honor her sacrifice, the land upon which she drew her last breath still bears her name.
    Quote:Wind-up Odin
    Many have pondered why a dark divinity with roots in northern mythology would wield a blade with a decidedly Far Eastern name. A popular theory is that Odin acquired the blade upon slaying an Auri warrior who was the first ever to notch his theretofore unsullied plate.

• Ser Gorgagne
    Quote:Gorgagne Mills
    Ser Gorgagne was a proud knight and bannerman of House Durendaire, until the fateful day when the heir of that house vanished from sight while under his care, never to be seen again. Devastated by the loss of the boy and his own failing, he put aside his blade and built this farm, where he quietly lived out the rest of his days.

• Shiva - A mortal woman who fell in love with the Great Wyrm Hraesvelgr. To avoid further spoilers, I will simply say that her death brought a short-lived period of peace between man and dragons.

• The Lost Landlord - Possibly a statue of King Thordan?
    Quote:The Lost Landlord
    This colossus stands on an island in Greensward. Its name was bestowed by the moogles, who believe it to be a statue of the "king of the land-dwellers," though no records remain that could shed light on the identity of this individual, and whether or not he ever truly walked the realm.

• Hengr
    Quote:Hengr's Crucible
    This oddly shaped isle, floating in the eastern reaches of the Sea of Clouds, is named for the witch Hengr, a figure of Coerthan faerie tales whose cauldron its shape is said to resemble. In recent years, it has become a gathering place for the notoriously territorial toco tocos.

• Shatotto - Not to be confused with FFXI's Shantotto.
    Quote:All in the Order of Nald’thal know well the legend of Shatotto, a mighty thaumaturge from the fifth of Astral Eras. Her creation of destructive and catastrophic spells evoked as much fear as it did respect, prompting ignorant souls to call her unsavory names—Death’s Handmaiden, the Black Witch, and the She-Devil among them. She was also possessed of an otherworldly talent for crafting thaumaturgical staves. Among her creations, the Stardust Rods are by far the most powerful and coveted, believed as they are to be fashioned from the celestial remnants of a star Shatotto herself brought down to Hydaelyn and clove asunder.

• Edvya Thorne
    Quote:Wind-Up Edvya
    Forty years after the founding of the Thorne Dynasty, sultan Baldric Thorne was blessed by the gods with a single daughter, Edvya, whom he loved fiercely. The history surrounding the two, now known as the "Legend of the Lost Lady" gave rise to the festival of Little Ladies' Day.

• Bradamante - Nael van Darnus's gunhalberd, said to be named for a warrior maiden he slew.

• Good King Moggle Mog XII - A mythical king from Moogle folklore, said to have held onto a mighty rope that allowed his mogkin to descend into the world below, but he was left behind.

• Kerigg Roh
    Quote:Wind-Up Founder
    Amalj'aa legend tells of Whiteknuckle Kerigg Roh - undefeated on the battlefield, he is a hero to many, including Warleader Hamujj Gah. The champion is also father of the brawling style of matrial arts utilized by the beast tribe today.

• Kain
    Quote:Wind-up Kain
    The tale of Kain - the dragoon who abandoned his duty for honor - is well-known amongst Ishgardian children. To maximize height on his jumps, the craftsman of his clockwork automaton lined the main control springs with over-aspected wind crystals.

• Saint Valeroyant
    Eustacia Wrote:Do you know the story of Saint Valeroyant? Ten score years ago, he served as an Azure Dragoon, and won glory by driving away the great wyrm Nidhogg. This very square still bears his name, though his image has seen better days. He was an unrivaled warrior who dealt death to dragon after dragon, but there was one that always managed to slip his clutches - Agathos, feared across the land as the black death.

• Saint Reinette
    Gerolt Wrote:Now then, did ye ever hear of Saint Reinette, the legendary dragoon? I only ask 'cause she's s'posed to have wielded the very same weapon, see. Story goes that a dragon slew her sweetheart, promptin' the ol' girl to seek out the beast what did it an' put it down. Havin' exacted her revenge, they say she thrust her spear into the ground where the battle was waged, givin' up the life of a dragoon to become a woman of the cloth.

• Gilbert the Godsbow
    Gerolt Wrote:The first archer to be called such was one Gilbert, a man who lived durin' Gridania's fledglin' days. Legend goes he slew seven Ixali chieftains with a single arrow. And if that weren't impressive enough, they say the lucky sod was blessed with the voice of a bleedin' angel to boot. On account of which, he had a bow 'specially crafted to be weapon and instrument both. This tool of musical murder was called the Artemis Bow, an' for long years it was locked away in one of the fastnesses of the Gods' Quiver for safekeepin'.

• Wiyu - Possibly the same person as Lady Urth??
    Gerolt Wrote:Did I hear ye rightly? Yer sayin' that you revived the long lost Allagan art o' summonin'? Bloody hells, I'd always thought 'twas naught but a myth... If it's as ye say, the tales I heard growin' up might well have some truth to 'em. In particular, the one about the maiden Wiyu springs to mind. 'Twas the most detailed among 'em, ye see. She was a right ravishin' lass, this Wiyu, with bright green eyes an' a fiery spirit to match. Alas, she goes on to meet a premature end. Accordin' to the tale, she an' her comrades square off against Odin, the Dark Divinity. When the battle takes an ill turn, she sacrifices herself to save her party. Right tragic, I know. Now, the encounter s'posedly took place in the Sylphlands, over in the East Shroud.

• Sasuke
    Gerolt Wrote:It contains an account o' how a Far Eastern ninja named Sasuke brought ninjutsu to Doma. Seems ninjutsu was invented in a land far to the east of Othard's shores─same isle as where Sasuke grew up. The bloke was the best ninja about, so he gets secret orders or summat to cross the sea, an' makes his way to Doma. Life for the Doman commonfolk was shite back then, what with the starvin' an' the poverty. The worst, though, was the bleedin' tyrant what ruled the place! Well, bein' the charitable sort, what's Sasuke to do but teach the smallfolk ninjutsu so they can win back their freedom? So yer man trains some ninjas, an' together they boot the ruler's royal arse off the throne, an' put a dagger in his back for good measure.

• Golbas Rombas
    Gerolt Wrote:Legend tells us a grimoire such as this was passed down through the
    mages of Nym. Indeed, Golbas Rombas, the hero who saved his people from the floods of the Sixth Umbral Calamity, was known to rely upon it as his secret weapon.

• King Haraldr
    Quote:Haraldr Haddock
    A tasty saltwater fish indigenous to the cold waters of the Bloodbrine Sea. Its name comes from a legendary northern king who was said to have survived to the ripe old age of seven and fifty summers eating only the fatty flesh of this grotesque wavekin.

• Unnamed Badass Roegadyn King
    Quote:Megalodon
    A legendary shark with a mouth so large and an appetite so enormous, it is said it can swallow an adult Roegadyn whole. This can be attested to by a former Roegadyn king who actually was swallowed whole by a megalodon before carving his way out of its belly with a dagger.

• Cornelia
    Quote:Cornelia
    As pugilists the realm wide exchange tales of the mighty Cornelia - a brawler of legend - so, too, do fishers speak of Cornelia - a boxing pleco who will only leave her place among the rocks when all other pleco have been sent down for the count.

• Unnamed Ishgardian Priest
    Quote:Lake Urchin
    Coerthan legend tells of a brave priest who would rush into battle headlong with his copy of the Enchiridion in one hand and a morningstar in the other. So frenzied was his slashing and whirling of the weapon, that often the spiked ball would fly from its chain and into nearby rivers and lakes. Lake urchins have nothing to do with this legend.

...to name a few. Hope this helps! ^^

EDIT: Thordan and His Knights Twelve likely also count as legendary heroes. To avoid major spoilers though, I will simply say that Thordan and his knights are accredited with founding the Ishgard that we know today. In a mighty battle with Nidhogg, Thordan and six of his knights were slain. Thordan's son, Haldrath, took up his sire's lance and plucked out Nidhogg's Eye. Four of those six surviving knights went on to found Ishgard's four High Houses.

RE: Heroes of Myth/Fiction/Folkore, etc.? - Kellach Woods - 07-15-2015

There's also Mog, who's a legendary Moogle warrior who's leaps mirrored that of dragoons. (Churning Mists quests)