Hydaelyn Role-Players
Anything other than Ul'Dah - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Anything other than Ul'Dah (/showthread.php?tid=12585)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Anything other than Ul'Dah - SaintEaon - 07-14-2015

So I'm trying to open up RP to Limsa Lominsa and La Nosca in general. My reason being is because despite being the "center" of RP, Ul'Dah is easily the least interesting city state as far as cool places to faciliate RP goes. I think for the sake of RP Ul'Dah is actually easily the least interesting city so just for a quick side by side comparison because these arguments always come up, here's why I think Ul'Dah sucks and what I'd actually like done about it.

Ul'Dah's biggest selling points are the idea that its so diverse. In one city you have Merchant Princes, those loyal to the Sultana, The Monetarists, and previous dealings with the Scions of the Seventh Dawn. They're also home to the Gladiator Arena, and have some of the poorest areas in the game with places like Pearl Lane existing. Problems with this though, you have almost no access to Monetarist areas outside of Cutscenes. You can get to "richer" parts of town,  but they're not really accessible. Likewise you can't get to the Sultana, its actually blocked off by a cutscene wall. Scions play virtually no role ICly and they're actually located outside of Ul'Dah. You also can't access the Arena, you can stand above it, but people who RP gladiators can't actually use the arena even if they're in the guild. You do have access to pearl lane. Outside of the Quicksands there's not a whole lot Ul'Dah has going for it other than the Grindstone happens there and a lot of political intrigue tends to happen there. 

However there's no reason that most of the stuff that happens in Ul'Dah couldn't just as easily happen in cities like Limsa, or Gridania. Likewise the docks in Limsa, the Amplitheater in Gridania are both fully usable and accessible. The shroud does lack character in that it just kind of feels like a generic forest, but you can at least access most of the things it has going for it in the lore. You have full access to the Conjurer's guild aside from one little area, same with the Archers and Lancers. They have their own adventurer's guild and some pretty expansive nice areas for RP. Limsa's the same, the docks including at least one Galleon are completely open an realized for explore and RP. Other ships are located on Costa Del Sol, likewise if you're not feeling piratey the upper districts of Limsa offer places like The Bismarck which can offer "fine" dining and a more professional setting than The Wench. You also have a fully realized Grand Company hall for the Malestrom. La Nosca also has more unique/interesting RP structures from Hermits Hovel in the Outer Areas to The Blood Shore, to Camp Bronze Lake. 

So I'm trying to get more people to RP outside of Ul'Dah because really, Ul'Dah's not that impressive or even got that much going for it. I'm not just gonna say that either and not put my gil where my mouth is. I've relocated there for what its worth and a few very serious very involved RPers have also moved out. This along with CLAWs and several other FC's taking up residence in Coerthas is making it look like a good time to spread out and actually populate our world. So anyone else, any other trading companies or pirate/criminal theme'd RP FC's willing to also move location if they thought they thought there was actually serious RP going on out in other city states?

RE: Anything other than Ul'Dah - -no longer matters- - 07-14-2015

I'm all for RP being everywhere, and it should be. But saying Ul'dah is the least interesting city is strictly your opinion. In my opinion Gridania is the least Interesting, and Limsa is the most frustrating to navigate. Ul'Dah is my favorite of the three original cities, both aesthetically and lore wise. Again those are my opinions.

That said I personally make my main RP hub Camp Dragonhead, simply because that's where my character is at this time of her story. So more RP other places is great...

But there's no reason to slam an area many people like because in your opinion you find it uninteresting. I just feel there was a much better approach to this.

and again just for reassurance. I'm all for people expanding RP all over Eorzea, I think that part is great.

RE: Anything other than Ul'Dah - Zhavi - 07-14-2015

If you want to do something, do it. Organize it, cultivate it, and be there. That's all you really need besides time and patience.

There are numerous people who rp in La Noscea and Limsa -- they just don't make it a point to talk about it on the RPC. If you want to tap into that, you're going to have to contact them and arrange for there to be more rp out in the open. It's far from impossible, you just need to dedicate time to it.

RE: Anything other than Ul'Dah - SaintEaon - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 12:41 PM)War Siren Wrote: I'm all for RP being everywhere, and it should be. But saying Ul'dah is the least interesting city is strictly your opinion. In my opinion Gridania is the least Interesting, and Limsa is the most frustrating to navigate. Ul'Dah is my favorite of the three original cities, both aesthetically and lore wise. Again those are my opinions.

That said I personally make my main RP hub Camp Dragonhead, simply because that's where my character is at this time of her story. So more RP other places is great...

But there's no reason to slam an area many people like because in your opinion you find it uninteresting. I just feel there was a much better approach to this.

and again just for reassurance. I'm all for people expanding RP all over Eorzea, I think that part is great.

I think you can pretty objectively say Ul'Dah is the least interesting. Thanalan not as much, but as far as actual different RP you can do Ul'Dah it doesn't offer a lot, and that's having been there for like 6 months. Gridania is up there as far as having nothing really to do but at least what they do have lore wise you can actually access. You literally can't even get to Ul'Dah's biggest attractions, they're literally walled off. They don't even give you the courtesy of like NPC's fighting below on some predetermined loop. Its just empty and walled off with some people standing above it scoffing at poor people.

RE: Anything other than Ul'Dah - Melkire - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 12:50 PM)SaintEaon Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 12:41 PM)War Siren Wrote: I'm all for RP being everywhere, and it should be. But saying Ul'dah is the least interesting city is strictly your opinion. In my opinion Gridania is the least Interesting, and Limsa is the most frustrating to navigate. Ul'Dah is my favorite of the three original cities, both aesthetically and lore wise. Again those are my opinions.

I think you can pretty objectively say Ul'Dah is the least interesting. Thanalan not as much, but as far as actual different RP you can do Ul'Dah it doesn't offer a lot, and that's having been there for like 6 months. Gridania is up there as far as having nothing really to do but at least what they do have lore wise you can actually access. You literally can't even get to Ul'Dah's biggest attractions, they're literally walled off. They don't even give you the courtesy of like NPC's fighting below on some predetermined loop. Its just empty and walled off with some people standing above it scoffing at poor people.

You... do know that the Coliseum isn't the only draw to that city, right? Lorewise or roleplay-wise.

Most of the palace is open, there's the Quicksand, there's the Ossuary, seating at the airship lounge, some nice fountains up by the Alchemist's Guild, Pearl Lane and Sapphire Exchange, Gold Court... granted, the Sacrarium is also closed off, but there's still so much that we DO have access to.

Same holds true for the other cities. Limsa has the Bismarck, the Astalicia, Mealvaan's Gate, Fisherman's Bottom, Anchor Yard, the Aftcastle, the Missing Member, and so on. Gridania has the Amphitheatre, too many small houses to count, some beautiful gardens, and more secluded corners that I can be bothered to remember off the top of my head.

There are a lot of areas in each city that are walled off as of 2.0. If the issue at hand is that you feel restricted from roleplaying in such places, that's a problem we all share. That said, I've noticed that the developers improved on this point with regards to HW; Ishgard, in comparison, seems to boast a lot more accessible areas than its contemporaries.

RE: Anything other than Ul'Dah - Addison - 07-14-2015

Whether Ul'Dah is interesting or not is a matter of personal opinion. Personally I can think of a lot more interesting RP hooks for Ul'Dah's setting than I can for say....Gridania. And my character is from Gridania, lives in Gridania, and has hardly ever left the Twelveswood ICly.

As others have stated if you want RP in Limsa, then create it. The worst that happens is people walk right past you.

RE: Anything other than Ul'Dah - -no longer matters- - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 12:50 PM)SaintEaon Wrote:

Some people just the scenery and feel is enough to make it interesting. Again you're trying to force your opinion as objective fact. If you want to get RP in other places (which again is a good thing.) there are much better ways to do so than slamming an area many people love. Like, I don't know trying to organize more RP events in these areas, if people agree with your opinion, then they'll start flocking to the other cities once these events start, if not well all you can do is keep trying.

Positivity usually goes a lot further than negativity when trying to motivate people.

RE: Anything other than Ul'Dah - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 12:50 PM)SaintEaon Wrote: I think you can pretty objectively say Ul'Dah is the least interesting. Thanalan not as much, but as far as actual different RP you can do Ul'Dah it doesn't offer a lot, and that's having been there for like 6 months. Gridania is up there as far as having nothing really to do but at least what they do have lore wise you can actually access. You literally can't even get to Ul'Dah's biggest attractions, they're literally walled off. They don't even give you the courtesy of like NPC's fighting below on some predetermined loop. Its just empty and walled off with some people standing above it scoffing at poor people.

[[mod message]]

Please be nice. Bashing on people's choice of RP hub isn't cool, yo.

[[mod message end]]

These types of threads pop up every now and again. The general consensus is that people generally -like- Ul'dah for any variety of personal opinions.

I've seen ongoing Tavern-style RP going on (and have contributed some) at the Drowning Wench the last few days. It doesn't nearly have the same population.

It really comes down to a few things, in my experience:
  1. People will go where there's a large group to find new/fresh contacts. 
  2. People are less willing to publicly RP in an uncrowded area
  3. People have their own opinions on what settings they like
  4. People need to be interested in an area to RP in it
Ul'dah happens to fulfil these, and it's alt/newbie friendly. There's no level restrictions and it's a starting city.

So....I'll ask this. Why should I RP somewhere else? What makes it more attractive to RP in? Reasons against Ul'dah will be rejected. What makes the other places just as good or better?

RE: Anything other than Ul'Dah - Sin - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 12:50 PM)SaintEaon Wrote: I think you can pretty objectively say Ul'Dah is the least interesting. Thanalan not as much, but as far as actual different RP you can do Ul'Dah it doesn't offer a lot, and that's having been there for like 6 months. Gridania is up there as far as having nothing really to do but at least what they do have lore wise you can actually access. You literally can't even get to Ul'Dah's biggest attractions, they're literally walled off. They don't even give you the courtesy of like NPC's fighting below on some predetermined loop. Its just empty and walled off with some people standing above it scoffing at poor people.

No.

I think you can pretty subjectively say that.

Ul'dah on concept alone stands tall. A desert city with merchant princes and high levels of monetary disparity between the rich living in excess and the refugees merely scraping by. A city with a realm renown coliseum with rags to riches stories providing every yahoo with a dream a way out of poverty. A city of greed, and scheming. A city where around every corner is a scheming man trying to raise his station in life.

I think that atmosphere provides a very nice city to roleplay in.

Now, I see where you're coming from in that a lot of its main selling points are walled off, and that is a pity, but with a bit of imagination I find that the feel and flavor of the place is just as good as physical access to these locales.

In my opinion, Limsa Lominsa could also provide similar avenues in its streets filled with cutthroats and ex-pirates, and its transitional culture, but... it can be a pain in the bum to maneuver so I think that's why ultimately Ul'dah won out in the RP hub department.

With that being said, I support more piratey scallywag RP.

RE: Anything other than Ul'Dah - Gegenji - 07-14-2015

I will admit that Ul'dah is visually same-y on its outer ring - blocky houses and open streets straight through. However, it certainly DOES have its interesting places - the fountain in the "center" of the city, the Thaumaturge's Guild, the Miner's Guild. There's plenty of little nooks and crannies to check out and RP in besides just hanging around the Quicksand. And since you identified Costa when talking about Limsa, you also have to include all the other locations in Thanalan - the Silver Bazaar, Horizon, Little Aha Mhigo, and the GOLD SAUCER.

The biggest draw for Ul'dah, though, is its intrigue. Royalist and Monetarists, Sultansworn and Flames and Brass Blades. The Ala Mhigan refugee situation, and the overall unrest between the Haves and the Have-Nots. Maybe it's because the MSQ has focused more on it than the other city-states before Heavensward (where Ishgard is obviously getting a lot of attention), but there is a LOT going down for people to bite into in regards to plot in Ul'dah that you can't quite get in Gridania and Limsa.

Does it mean that those places shouldn't get RP too? Of course not, and they do get some RP - I've been running leves in Gridania and found people RPing in the Adventurer's Guild there. I've frequently seen folks hanging out at the Wench or the Bismarck, and certainly in Costa. But calling Ul'dah objectionably worse than the other two seems unfair.

RE: Anything other than Ul'Dah - Verad - 07-14-2015

As a boring person, I prefer Ul'dah.

RE: Anything other than Ul'Dah - Cato - 07-14-2015

There's plenty of role-play to be found outside of Ul'dah. Don't be afraid to check out places such as the Drowning Wench, the Bismarck and the Carline Canopy. I tend to find quite a bit of role-play there whenever I check - though if you don't really want to role-play within a city the best route to go down is to try and create a reason to approach random characters that look suited to an adventure and then trying to convince them to join you on a trip.

You can also make use of the 'making connections' sub-forum on this very site to better find something specific (though you may end up not getting any bites since quite a lot of role-players don't frequent this place and tend to haunt the game itself.

RE: Anything other than Ul'Dah - Aya - 07-14-2015

I originally felt that Ul'dah was the least interesting city, as well.  I RPed almost exclusively in Gridania and Limsa Lominsa originally, and it was like biting a bullet to finally give Ul'dah a try.  A little while later I decided it was time for Aya to relocate there and find herself a new job  (Thanks Madam Momodi!)

Since then I've found out why people seem to enjoy Ul'dah so much.  Its just a terrific place to RP, and the way the society and culture are set up allows for incredible freedom for interesting RP.

These days Gridania feels stilted, and Limsa kind of flat (honestly the rogues really hurt Limsa for me, what's a pirate city without cutthroats?)  I love Ul'dah!  Though I happy accede to anyone's dislike of it, since I was once there myself, I fully understand it Smile

RE: Anything other than Ul'Dah - Zhavi - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 01:34 PM)Aya Wrote: Limsa kind of flat (honestly the rogues really hurt Limsa for me, what's a pirate city without cutthroats?)  I love Ul'dah! 

I generally pretend the rogues are too small and insular a group to affect the majority of Limsan dealings.

I just can't.

They ruined most of what made Limsa fun for me, so I work around them and in spite of them.

RE: Anything other than Ul'Dah - Aya - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 01:36 PM)Zhavi Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 01:34 PM)Aya Wrote: Limsa kind of flat (honestly the rogues really hurt Limsa for me, what's a pirate city without cutthroats?)  I love Ul'dah! 

I generally pretend the rogues are too small and insular a group to affect the majority of Limsan dealings.

I just can't.

They ruined most of what made Limsa fun for me, so I work around them and in spite of them.
I've also toyed with the idea that they're really nothing more than a gang of their own, projecting a public image to protect their real dealings.  That would give them some of the flavor that makes both Ul'dah and Limsa interesting Smile

But yeah, whoever decided that rogues should be paladins with knives really doesn't understand why Limsa was interesting.