Hydaelyn Role-Players
Things You Love, BUT Would Likely Never RP? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Things You Love, BUT Would Likely Never RP? (/showthread.php?tid=12673)

Pages: 1 2

Things You Love, BUT Would Likely Never RP? - 13uddy - 07-22-2015

This thread was inspired by a conversation with a few friends over the last few days and is a general question, not FFXIV specific.

A friend of mine in another game was trying to recruit me to an RP guild she is in.  However, the guild's theme is that they are all vampires or in some way connected to vampires (minions, waiting to be turned, etc.).  Now I will admit I'm borderline obsessed with vampires.  I have numerous books that are about vampires, vampire folklore, books that describe different "breeds" of vampire in various other books, vampire like creatures in various cultures and so on, one of my favorite TV series of all time is "Forever Knight" about an 800 year old vampire working as a homicide detective, I have my own fangs and much, much more.  When I declined, she was quite surprised.

I just can't do it.  I've done it before, and I may do it again at some point, but right now I'm completely burned out on vampires in RP.  That isn't to say that I despise people that RP vampires, and there are some really amazing players that have build truly unique vampire characters, but it feels a bit overdone to me.  

When some other friends found out and asked me why (or, more humorously, asked if I was feeling okay), it made me think about what else I like but would currently not or may never RP.

- Jedi or Sith.  As much as I adore Star Wars, the idea of playing a Jedi has never appealed to me.  While playing a Sith is more attractive, I'm still not all that interested.  I don't mind playing a low-level Force sensitive individual (such as someone who feels an empathic connection to animals), but I'd much rather RP a Mandalorian, smuggler, Imperial soldier, cantina worker or multiple other things.  

- Evil characters.  I love a good fictional villain and I really don't mind playing a bad guy.  Heck, playing a bad guy is pretty fun!  But there are various layers of "bad", and I can only go so far.  I would much rather play a character of moral ambiguity rather than someone who kicks kittens just for the heck of it.  I would rather play someone with the mindset of Magneto or Darth Vader, someone who is bad but is bad for a somewhat valid reason, such as an honest belief that they are working towards the greater good or that is seeking revenge for some perceived wrong that they or someone they cared about suffered.

- "Superman" level superheroes.  I may be a bit of a hypocrite since I played a Green Lantern character in an RP for several years, but I usually prefer characters that aren't essentially unbeatable.  Where is the fun in that?  Even my GL character had a lower powered ring (based on the rings that GL John Stewart gave some kids in the comic series "Green Lantern: Mosaic", which allowed force fields, language translation and flight, but weren't on par with the rings worn by actual members of the Green Lantern Corps).  I also played an alternate reality version of Superboy at one point, but his power levels were much, much lower (closer to Captain America than Superman in terms of strength and other abilities, not invulnerable and could leap long distances but not actually fly).  There has to be some challenge for the character.  An unbeatable character can be challenging and fun to write, but it is harder for me to relate to a character like that.  

-  Time Lords.  Similar to the above situation, I have had a Gallifreyan character, but I didn't actually play a Time Lord (not everyone from Gallifrey is a Time Lord, such as the more tribal Outsiders).  However, it isn't that I find the idea boring, I just worry I'll grow too attached to a specific personality and have trouble changing if a regeneration ever came about.  I would much rather play a character in the vein of the Doctor's companions, someone who isn't likely to have a "get out of dying free" card.  Or someone with the personality (and possibly the good looks) of Jack Harkness.

- Asian girls.  I have absolutely no problem playing a female character.  But I won't play a girl who looks to be of Asian descent for one simple reason:  I'd never get anything done because I'd just keep staring at my character and thinking she's gorgeous.  Blush

RE: Things You Love, BUT Would Likely Never RP? - Aaron - 07-22-2015

No joke id rp Morgan Freeman and narrate everyones rp if I could, but apparently that wouldn't work out well.

RE: Things You Love, BUT Would Likely Never RP? - Flashhelix - 07-22-2015

I can't RP a robot well, the models obviously don't allow good-looking obvious robots and any "android" type lore is extremely iffy.

RE: Things You Love, BUT Would Likely Never RP? - Roda - 07-22-2015

A creepy Lala, or a pirate princess Roe.
I'd love to just create characters for the sole purpose of RPing but, alas, I'm running on the poor man's sub. '3'

RE: Things You Love, BUT Would Likely Never RP? - -no longer matters- - 07-22-2015

A fail dashing womanizing Lalafel.

I tried once but couldn't pull it off right but the concept is just amazingly hilarious to me.

RE: Things You Love, BUT Would Likely Never RP? - Momo - 07-26-2015

Evil characters...one done well is just the best thing...I can barely manage chaotic neutral without feeling so bad for the things my character does, that they have to become chaotic good at worst Geek >>>  Frustrated

RE: Things You Love, BUT Would Likely Never RP? - Zyrusticae - 07-26-2015

You know, I tried to think of something, but I'm having serious trouble doing so.

I mean, if I really, really love something, I'll find SOME avenue to RP it in. It won't necessarily be anything more than a quick one-shot, but I'll do it.

I guess the one thing that I could say would be a long and involved storyline that involved heavy and fast developments with a concluding arc. That just ain't gonna happen. Too much planning involved, and RP is anything but conducive to planning (unless you have really good partners, that is - and I don't).

RE: Things You Love, BUT Would Likely Never RP? - Faye - 07-26-2015

(07-22-2015, 12:15 PM)13uddy Wrote: - Asian girls.  I have absolutely no problem playing a female character.  But I won't play a girl who looks to be of Asian descent for one simple reason:  I'd never get anything done because I'd just keep staring at my character and thinking she's gorgeous.  Blush

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Multiple levels of squick here.

RE: Things You Love, BUT Would Likely Never RP? - Virella - 07-26-2015

Halfbreeds. Love them to bits, but I got a hard time playing them without models available!

RE: Things You Love, BUT Would Likely Never RP? - Asmodean - 07-26-2015

This style of character : http://rollplaywestmarches.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_Grigori_Petrovich

I love see this d&d game of the player playing him and god will it be fun but it would feel a bit too god modish >.>. Also I'm bad at doing evil characters.

RE: Things You Love, BUT Would Likely Never RP? - Sylentmana - 07-27-2015

Truly evil characters. When I try they always come across a comical and not all that evil.

RE: Things You Love, BUT Would Likely Never RP? - Hammersmith - 07-27-2015

A Dudley Dooright riff.

The requirement to maintain that kind of earnest enthusiasm would kill me.

RE: Things You Love, BUT Would Likely Never RP? - 13uddy - 07-27-2015

(07-26-2015, 04:12 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: Halfbreeds. Love them to bits, but I got a hard time playing them without models available!

Oh, that is a good one!  Even in games with an extensive set of customization options, that can be really difficult.  I've seen far too many interesting and unique characters fade away or killed off because even though they fit the lore of their setting, the customization and character models were too limited (such as a Half Elf that was of a Dark Elf/Human pairing rather than a normal Elf/Human pairing).

RE: Things You Love, BUT Would Likely Never RP? - Sigil.9054 - 07-27-2015

I would love to RP crossovers with other worlds that I've had a Seldi in. (Different character, but similar name and setup in each world). Only problem is, I don't think I could do it well, and even if I could, I know a lot of people would hate it based on the idea of crossovers alone.

And I don't blame them for that. It's muddy waters at best, and often done poorly.

Still, I'd love to be able to pull it off.

RE: Things You Love, BUT Would Likely Never RP? - 13uddy - 07-27-2015

(07-27-2015, 03:27 PM)Sigil.9054 Wrote: I would love to RP crossovers with other worlds that I've had a Seldi in.  (Different character, but similar name and setup in each world).  Only problem is, I don't think I could do it well, and even if I could, I know a lot of people would hate it based on the idea of crossovers alone.  

And I don't blame them for that.  It's muddy waters at best, and often done poorly.

Still, I'd love to be able to pull it off.

I've actually done something like that before, but as short stories rather than actual RP.  Most of them were done strictly in a non-canon and humorous way, but I have done a few that were a little more serious in tone.  I honestly can't say if they were good or not, and very few have been shared outside my circle of friends, but they were really fun to write.