Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP as an Inquisitor? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP as an Inquisitor? (/showthread.php?tid=12708)

Pages: 1 2

RP as an Inquisitor? - Ekidna - 07-25-2015

Hello,

I'm a newcomer on Balmung (will transfer on tuesday), not new on RP (several years of adventures behind me) but new to FF14.
I've read with pleasure some of the topics here and I'm very pleased to learn so much things about the lore.

I wanted to create a new character since I'll start the open-world rp on FF for the first time. I want to play an ishgardian, and was thinking about the inquisitors you meet on the storyline (and the DRK last quest).

My questions are:

> Is it possible to play an inquisitor in RP ?
> If no, would a high-born fanatic would be acceptable?
> If yes, I'd love to have as much details as possible on the inquisitor status in Ishgard's society. I didn't find many things by looking for the lore concerning this. 

Thanks for your help : )

RE: RP as an Inquisitor? - Zelmanov - 07-25-2015

I highly suggest completing the Heavensward main story quests if you have not, there are some...complications in being what you wish to be.

RE: RP as an Inquisitor? - Momo - 07-25-2015

Without giving too much away of the MSQ, yes there will be a few complications to being an actual Inquisitor depending on what time-line you wish to adhere to...some try to avoid going with an exact timeline, some have groups which all agree on a timeline, so just choose which one you feel will work with the part of the RP community you immerse yourself in.

As to being a highborn fanatic, I'd say upon completing the MSQ, and seeing all that happens, there is still room for this, though you would be amongst a minority, and much of that hatred within your character would have to come from ignorance of the truth, or a lack of trust in Ishgardian officials.  That being said, I will reiterate, please do this if you want, it would be an interesting sort of character, and maybe you can work in some conflicting actions with your character, maybe being a good person and helping the community, but still believing whole heartedly that dragonkin should die at any cost for all the trouble that they've caused in the city?  A resolution to that kind of personal dilemma would leave you with an even more interesting character full of emotional woe!

Just a suggestion, and good luck out there!

RE: RP as an Inquisitor? - Fox - 07-25-2015

I'd have to agree with Momo. I would not say no, but nor would I say to finish it first. Instead you can take the rp as you play through the msq. Do note you'll be offset from the main timeline. My company is a month or so behind icly. If you can evolve your char with the msq and fine a group to rp with, totally have fun with it

RE: RP as an Inquisitor? - Virella - 07-25-2015

I feel after the MSQ ending, there is still room for the inquisition. If anything heretics are more troublesome then ever before after that one thing happening in the end. However I'd imagine they go a bit more... thoughtful about with heresy claims.

RE: RP as an Inquisitor? - Ekidna - 07-25-2015

I haven't thought of that.
But I do like your idea Momo (as much as I like moral dilemma and subtle contrasts in a character's psychology). Even with the ending of Heavensward, I think it would be totaly logical to have few people still hating the dragons for what they've done to Ishgard and wanting to see them die for all the sufferings the ishgardians endured. It wouldn't be surprising if 100 years of hatred would not fade away in a blink. 

I'd drop the idea of playing an Inquisitor - I should probably go for an ishgardian high-born, with extremist thoughts she will have to deal with in a world that's moving too fast for her.

But there's something that I have to ask...

Show Content

RE: RP as an Inquisitor? - Arthur - 07-25-2015

(07-25-2015, 02:17 PM)Ekidna Wrote:
Show Content

Show Content

Thank you so much for your reply, it shed a light on the subject.
I find it quite interesting and I will definately look for more ishgardian lore to construct my character in this political situation. I really love this part of the story and I hope I will manage to do something coherent with heavensward's storyline. 

If some of you know good sources to read upon this subject, I'd be glad if you'd share it with me ^^

I wasn't sure how far along you were in the story, but clearly you are to a point where you can see some of the conflict here:

Show Content

The above was posted before seeing Tabris's post, so I want to state that it mostly agrees with that post, and adds a few possible plot points to his, I think there is great hope to have a character like the one you are suggesting, so don't give up, and if you have more ideas, plenty of people here to help!

not a problem! (Ishgardian politics are super interesting to me, so. *u* )

a lot of the information I gave you is inferential, so it's somewhat speculative. all I can recommend is carefully reading through all of the flavor text - read every leve, quest, and summary the game gives you! talk to every NPC and be sure to note the demeanor of NPCs and any speech bubbles. a lot of understanding the peoples' opinions is reliant upon bearing witness to them and their lives, after all. 

as for the conversation I mentioned between Thordan and Aymeric, I've embedded it here because the forum refuses to let me just directly link it. 

Show Content

also, regarding some of what Momo posted! 

Show Content

Show Content

I'm assuming you've actually finished the MSQ, but I'm throwing spoilers up for those who might not be. (even if I personally think it would be a little silly - going in this thread is like running into a minefield of spoilers.)

I admire the details you're able to give me, really, that's impressive!

Regarding all the things you've kindly explained,
Show Content

Would you think this kind of character would be acceptable?
Do you see anything that could be wrong considering the lore?

Thanks again ^^

I think what you have here is a great idea, only one thing I would add is to pay attention to the major houses that Arty...Tabris, mentioned above.  If you have an interest in creating your own family of highborn status, I would give it a little push by making the mother or grandmother a member of the high houses.  I will let Tabris, come up with more sound RP ideas if the above is no good, he is into Elezen lore and politics to a greater extent than I, but as I said, everything else sounds absolutely wonderful and maybe for that extra little boost I would find a group that you could possibly work yourself into to allow some more chances for that dark underbelly to your character really come through!

Good luck!

I've read (and see in the game, not quite sure when, in the side quests I think) that there were small houses of lesser importance in Ishgard than the 4 Houses. I would never do something as difficult and controversial as playing a relatives of one of the 4 Houses.
My idea was to create my own lesser noble house and play a highborn woman of minor importance. 

Anyway I thank you for all your insights and help on the subject, and would gladly join this group to let this character grows and blooms in the shadows =3

hehe, sorry for making things so confusing for you with regards to names, Momo. :')

anyhow, it's definitely viable to have your character be minor Ishgardian nobility. there are canonically Houses that exist outside of the four High Houses, so bam! you're all set. 

for more info on Ishgardian social structure, this thread here might be helpful. resident lore goddess Sounsyy dropped a ton of relevant info, so have fun!

and if you're on or intending to transfer to Balmung, the Ishgard RP linkshell could be a good place to start, group wise.

That thread was very helpful to have a big picture of Ishgard's society, thanks ^^

I'll transfer on tuesday and will definately use the LS and take a look around =)