Hydaelyn Role-Players
New kid on the block (Balmung). - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: New kid on the block (Balmung). (/showthread.php?tid=12784)

New kid on the block (Balmung). - Ardam Blackstone - 07-31-2015

Or kids if you count my two WoW besties who transferred games with me. Speaking for myself only, I am fairly more new to the whole MMO thing then most of you people likely are. I joined World of Warcraft about 3 years ago, that being the only online game I ever took part in unless you count Neopets. If only to further influence my noobie status I might as well point out this is also my first Final Fantasy game... Like, ever. My experience so far has made me deeply regret not picking up any of the games predecessors, and should I ever get the chance to I certainly will. Luckily for me (especially as an RPer) I hear the lore behind Realm Reborn is separate from previous installments, so I have a sneaky feeling unlike WoW I won't be reading lore more then actually playing/ Rping... Right?

Anyway, MMO status aside I am no stranger to RP. I have been writing stories since I was 5 years old and around 10 years ago found my way into the interactive writing community via online forums, not much unlike this site here. I am, however, new to the whole Tumblr aspect which seems to be a popular trend here on Balmung. Graphics, coding, computer technical crap... not really my strong suit. Don't get me wrong, I fully intend to get involved... Eventually. I am hoping to meet some people more versed in making their own that I could turn to here and there for help.

*EDITED*
The Highlander fellow as my avatar is Ardi, short nickname for Ardam Swifthawk. Ardi becomes a victim of the Gladiator pits. At 15 he witnesses his father get into a discrepancy with a powerful figurehead. Someone whose name and Gil weight lay in heavy with the Monetarists. The confrontation turns physical, and Ardi sees his father losing the fight. The teenager steps in through impulse to protect his father, killing the wealthy man he owed money to in the process. In response to murdering a collective man of importance, Ardi's fate is orchestrated into the Gladiator pits as punishment, sentenced to 15 years. He survived his way by besting his opponents in a fight to the death for well over a decade before the rules changed and death was no longer permitted as entertainment in the pits. Ardi's name became less popular, his fame les prominent as a result of the watered down games, and for lack of use he was freed at the conclusion of his sentencing without further influence to the contrary. Finally free, Ardi immediately set out about the city and Thanalan in search for his father. The trail ended upon news of his death; beaten to death in the poorer districts of Ul'dah. Ardi now spends his days in fight clubs to earn his meals, as well as attempting to make a name for himself as a mercenary for hire. On a side note he also spends time juggling his own gambling addiction much like his fathers.

Moving right along (by Welcome Desks template because apparently I am not that original with introductions), I found this lovely site by simply Google search, and am pleased to find such a vast crowd of inspiring, motivational and welcoming people.

As far as when and how often I RP it all really depends on my mood and whether or not I am invested in experiencing game play. As a noob here, I am more involved with progressing and reading up on the games story and lore. Leveling, crafts, lore, etc is my first priority and as you're no doubt aware; pretty darn time consuming. Not to mention I am playing with two others (me being the slowest of the trio) and we are in no rush to get things done, rather instead intent on soaking up as much info as we can before fully pledging and immersing ourselves in the RP aspect the community has to offer.  As of now I should declare myself a light to medium RPer. 

Getting more personal here... Lastly I would just like to say the acceptance of the gay community by both RPers and game designers alike (allowing same sex marriage?!) further influenced my decision to come here. I can finally feel comfortable and excited about making my first official homosexual character through Ardi, something I was not able to bring myself to do on WoW. I have been fortunate in meeting a couple people already in my brief time within game (when not leveling or exploring with my MMO besties) and I have to say my first impression has been ever lasting. I can't wait to meet more of you!

RE: New kid on the block (Balmung). - Virella - 07-31-2015

Hey there!

Personally I would avoid anything with the beasttribe and slavery; especially due to them seeming to temper their victims, and I there is no cure for tempering. But I'm not 100% sure on it. My interest in the four old primals and their story is nearly non-existent, but I believe that was a part of that particular beasttribe.

Just go for Ala Mhigo scum! Although admittedly he has to be at least... 26 or so to be born there (I'm bad at calculating okay?!) Can always be born in Little Ala Mhigo as well Smile

As for lastnames, I believe that they are names who tell something the person has done in life worth of note; can be passed on to offspring, who in turn can shed the last name again and change it later on in life. Can also be a trait of sorts, so Swifthawk is surely a fitting name for a highlander!

That said, my highlander lore is meh at best, and I know a bit about the Ala Mhigan folk, but that is about it, so I may not be the best to give you advice on this.

Gay couples seem to be no problem whatsoever in FFXIV! But. BUT. Interracial buggery is a thing what is highly frowned upon! (You find a gay miqo'te/hyur couple eventually, and their sexuality was no problem for their people, however the interracial love was)

The marriage you see ingame is taken with a grain of salt; I have a hard time seeing that interracial marriages happen all that often, if not super duper rare due to Eorzea being super racist. But overall in lore it is okay to sleep around with whoever you want, as long it ain't another race (and of course, that happens as well! But people may respond not so positive on it IC!)

Hope that helped a bit Smile

RE: New kid on the block (Balmung). - Ardam Blackstone - 07-31-2015

*EDIT* Thanks to Zagi'zi (Sin) and Sahja's quick and helpful suggestions, I have changed the characters name to Ardam Swifthawk.

Thanks for the tips, Vi--really appreciate it. I'll def look more into it. I chose the Amalj'aa as his primary antagonist simply because they're positioned in Thanalan near Ul'dah where Ardi's origin takes place. Looks like I may have some editing to do.

RE: New kid on the block (Balmung). - Faye - 07-31-2015

Ahhhh Neopets, the good ol' days! Welcome!

RE: New kid on the block (Balmung). - Sin - 07-31-2015

Welcome aboard friend!

Have fun!

RE: New kid on the block (Balmung). - Ardam Blackstone - 07-31-2015

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone! And special thanks to Sin for continuing to help re-establish Ardi's backstory without having to rewrite everything I was going for. Re-edited my third intro paragraph to fit the new more lore abiding backstory should anyone be interested.

Accepting criticism and thoughts as always Big Grin

RE: New kid on the block (Balmung). - Roen - 08-01-2015

Welcome to the RPC!

Aaah had you been here months ago, I would have loved to have had Roen run into you! I ran into so few actual down-on-his-luck Ala Mhigan Highlanders in Pearl Lane...

Alas, my character has left Thanalan for the lovely frozen climes of Coerthas... but I wish you luck and much fun! Ul'dah is a wonderful RP hub. Smile