Hydaelyn Role-Players
Differences and similarities between you and your character - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Fun Prompts (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: Differences and similarities between you and your character (/showthread.php?tid=12819)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Differences and similarities between you and your character - OverlordOutpost - 08-06-2015

A fun thing I did for this was to take the personality tests http://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test ; that whole IFTP INFJ stuff they made us take in grade school, and then answer it once as myself and once as my character.

I got INTP (Logician) for myself and Katiti scored ISTJ (Logistician).  Logic versus Logistics.

RE: Differences and similarities between you and your character - Caspar - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 12:11 PM)13uddy Wrote:
(08-05-2015, 09:08 PM)Caspar Wrote: Generally I try to play a character as different from myself as possible in at least one theater. However there usually is some internal characteristic or focal point that I find innately sympathetic, or I will have trouble really grasping their character well.

I can't speak for anybody but myself (and possibly my best friend since she agrees with this), but no matter how hard I may try to make a character that is completely different from me, something still seeps in.  Even if it is something minor, like maybe they have a weakness for cute baby kittens and bunnies (which is hilarious when I'm playing a "bad" character), or maybe we just happen to have a similar like or dislike of something (anything from an object, a food, a color and so on).
Yeah, a lot of people talk about bleed, and the attitude I take is that some degree of it is inevitable in the sense that you have to have some degree of investment in the character. Even if there is no similarity between yourself and the character, you likely are interested in their story progressing, so that in itself is a form of investment. I don't tend to agree with the idea of "characters as people" and so I try to use them as a device to talk about the kind of story I want to discuss. (Though that doesn't stop me from wasting hours thinking about every last detail.) There are themes the character is meant to focus on and draw attention to, and they must therefore be themes I find interesting at least enough to dedicate some of my brain towards. The character develops traits naturally as I try to think of a hypothetical character who could express this theme, and I think as I go, sometimes a bit of myself enters them unbidden. That does not however mean they are people I'd like to know though. Traditionally a lot of my characters tend to be pretty awful people, so it's better for me not to know them. If they actually are the heroic type, they're not the type who would get along with me in almost any case, so it's effectively the same difference.

RE: Differences and similarities between you and your character - Kai Motokawa - 08-20-2015

Differences between Kai and myself:
Kai will talk to people and read books. He's also always studying, learning.

Similarities:
We're both Gender-Fucked and had to adjust to this whole new world that we had no information or knowledge about.

Of course there is other differences, but these are the most noticeable ones. Big Grin

RE: Differences and similarities between you and your character - MilanaMina - 08-20-2015

Similar with Milana [My main RP character]

1. We both like tea more than coffee.
2. Our idea of an ideal night is just chilling at home.
3. Talking to people is fine, just remember the bubble sustem.
4. We both like to think practically. Romantic line of thought is nice but 9/10 it's going to be the barebones facts.

Dissimilarities

1. I'm quieter than her until I get to know folks.
2. She's good at crunching numbers and all that business stuff, I'm not.
3. She's not a good drawer, I am. [I like to think I'm good.]
4. She has a relatively strong stomach and I don't.[/font]

RE: Differences and similarities between you and your character - Blue - 08-20-2015

Similarities:

* Jet'a and I are both left-handed in writing and right-handed for power-tasks.
* Blue, Yesui, Valeria, Chiara, Dylise, Aki are, like me, females.
* Chiara Foschiani and I shared (she's now retired) the same name and last name.

Not going to list the differences because... everything else is different. I like to stray as far away from my real self as possible.

RE: Differences and similarities between you and your character - Leggerless - 08-21-2015

Elise Wolfe:

Same:
- Assertive, pragmatic, and snarky.
- Ability to use a firearm.
- Ability to lead a group of people.
- Both enjoy seafood quite a bit.
- Willing to try new, exotic things every once in a while.
- Open to change based on evidence.
- Level headed when talking about controversial topics.
- Age. I won't have to remember another number; that's it, really.
- Having the occasional joke is necessary.
- Easy going, and serious when needed.

Different:
- Gender (Elise = female and Leggerless (me) = male).
- Military experience. She's a low ranking Maelstrom officer (2nd Lt.). My military knowledge is based off excerpts from Field Manuals, raid leading in video games, and google searches.
- Swordsmanship and magical ability.
- Knows more history.
- Has killed many people.
- Inclined to commit 'criminal' acts if she is completely confident she can get away with it.
- Wears glasses. Less of a fashion statement and more of a handy tool--if not necessity--when she reads.
- No crafting ability. She can understand how the product is made, but she cannot create DoH crafts herself.
- Can ride a horse/chocobo.
- She's at least 10x more fearless than I am. Smiling at Death fearless, in extreme cases.
- Romantically dense. It's a foreign concept to Elise.
- Low tolerance for alcohol with Elise.

I'm sure there's more differences; the ones listed are what first came to mind.

RE: Differences and similarities between you and your character - Arrelaine - 08-21-2015

I think there are a few similarities between my characters and I, but they're more spread out between them all. Bits here and there!

Arrelaine:
-Loves to sing and dance (though arguably she does it better than I)
-Has a flirtatious manner, whether or not she means to.
-Gets irritated easily, but rarely actually angry.
-Loves to poke fun at people, very witty and catty.

Akayuri:
-Is a redhead! (Though I'm more the coppery type, full sun I look like a bunch of wires!)
-Can be fairly naive at times.
-Short as hell. Undecided

I might think of more, but that's all I can really think of.

RE: Differences and similarities between you and your character - Eckerd - 08-21-2015

Similarities:
1. Both of us smoke. A lot. 
2. We're both more or less of the same height, with him beating me to the punch by an inch.
3. Our sense of humor is pretty damn terrible. You'll see!
4. Similar tastes in cuisine and beverages. For the most part.
5. Tattoos, although my collection lacks -heart- ! Get it? 'Cause he's got a heart tattooed on his face. 
6. Having some level of social anxiety, with his being arguably less severe.
7. Trees and forests are nice!
8. He likes to read - I like to read. 

Differences:
1. That being said, I wouldn't touch the stuff -he- reads with a ten foot pole. Unless it comes with a flamethrower.
2. Eckerd being a (soulless) ginger and yours truly having brown hair. I'm actually kinda jealous. Kinda.
3. I dwell and stress on things waaay too much in comparison. 
4. I'm rather fond of a dull, normal life with 100% less deadly creatures prowling around!
5. Only Eckerd can handle and wield a variety of lances. Heh.
6. My physique's definitely seen better days.
7. I'm scared to death of heights, unlike that suicidal buffoon.
8. The obvious fact that only one of us has actually killed someone. Hint: it's not me.
9. I don't need to be turned into SHODAN to become sentient.

RE: Differences and similarities between you and your character - Ryanti - 08-21-2015

Similarities:

- We both don't prefer dealing with animals.
- We both don't prefer dealing with little kids (don't I seem so friendly? Big Grin).
- We both are very prideful in what we do.
- We both get embarrassed easily.
- We both really enjoy history.
- We both possess above-average curiosity about stuff.
- We both prefer our living areas very organized (we're hygiene freaks!).

Differences:

- Ryanti is insecure about his heritage. I love mine. Cool
- Ryanti tends to drink very little. I'm a beer and vodka guy. Cool
- Ryanti can sketch and sing on a medium skill range. I'm absolutely horrid at both of those.
- Ryanti loves elaborate fashion. I'm fine with a funny t-shirt and cargo shorts.
- Ryanti doesn't swear much. I swear like a sailor.
- Ryanti sucks at being rowdy. I'm your man when it comes to that.
- Ryanti is much more of a spender while I am more of a saver.
- Ryanti is a lot more of a risk-taker than I am.

RE: Differences and similarities between you and your character - D'aito Kuji - 08-21-2015

tl;dr - We both look asian, love the sun, and are bi & poly.  But she is not shy, is more confident, but quick to anger, and is more "modest" than me.

Similarities:

We are both female.  We share similarly shaped eyes.  We are both short.  We both have naturally darker skin. We both have black hair.  We both think we're smarter and more capable than we actually are.  We both love reading.  We both worship the sun.  We are both bi and poly.

Differences:

I have a number of obnoxious phobias, a speech problem, and great difficulty with social situations (in most circumstances).  D'aito has none of this.  It would make her role as an adventurer nearly impossible if she did.  D'aito shares only my fear of spiders with me.  I am a vegetarian (98% of the time) while D'aito not only eats meat, she kills, cleans, and cooks her own meat.  I can't imagine killing an animal.

We are both quick to anger but D'aito is far more likely to become violent.  D'aito is very sure of herself and overconfident and this leads to her getting in trouble.  She dislikes rules and left her tribe over traditions she could respect but didn't want anything to do with.

D'aito comes from a culture where being covered form head to toe was a requirement, lest one invite the attention and possible wrath of Azeyma.  I come from a culture where clothes are optional.  I'm afraid of horses while D'aito is practically best friends with Homura, her chocobo.

RE: Differences and similarities between you and your character - Miko Shiroi - 09-08-2015

Similarities:
1. We both have a shitty/cheesy sense of humor.
2. We both get jealous easily.
3. We're both impulsive.
4. We're both stubborn.
5. We both have blue hair.
6. We both love spicy food.
7. We both dance like we have two left feet.
8. We both enjoy having our egos stroked.
9. We're both hopeless romantics.
10. We're both highly empathetic and sympathetic, but only to close friends/allies.
11. We both have the strong drive/urge to protect our friends and loved ones at all costs.
12. We're both in a relationship with a member of the same sex.
13. We're both very loud and sometimes lack a word filter.

Differences:
1. K'heyo is afraid of thunderstorms, I am not.
2. K'heyo is 26. I'm 21.
3. K'heyo is talented at singing. I'm not horrible, but I'm no pop star, either.
4. K'heyo is good at weaving. I attempted to learn how to cross-stitch once and my mom gave up on me. LOL.
5. K'heyo is tan, whereas I'm as white as a ghost.
6. K'heyo is also very athletic; I'm skinny, but out-of-shape.
7. K'heyo suffered a severe illness as a child; I've been healthy.

RE: Differences and similarities between you and your character - Eses Fafa - 09-08-2015

Differences:
-Eses has a strict moral code. I say balls to the right thing and go on convenience.
-Eses is a tidbit more racist than I'd care to be.
-Eses is WAY more athletic.
-She likes cats. I like dogs.
-She has killed people! I have not luckily!
-She can sustain a relationship without getting bored.
-Eses is scared of thunderstorms! I ain't!
-We are of different ages
-Eses knows goldsmithing and tinkering. I DEFINITELY lack that.
-Our hair colour is different
-Her moustache is sexier
-I'm obviously not a miqo'te
-Eses is a woman. I am a banana.
-Eses is homosexual. I am heterosexual!
-Eses keeps flirting to her partner. I flirt with any non-relative with a sense of humor, regardless of attraction.
-Eses does not become homesick after a few days.
-Eses believes in fate. I believe in carving one's own path.
-Eses can't cook for shiznit. I'm actually pretty good!
-Eses is a fan of game meat. I'm 'ech' with the stuff.

Similarities
-We both speak in an English dialect about North Yorkshire-ish.
-We both get a kick out of inbred jokes.
-We both never skip out on Leg Day.
-We both question the morality of the authorities.
-We're both very spontaneous!
-We both have irritating laughs.
-We both like to sleep in.
-We both have a solid means of escapism. I sometimes follow the same one as hers.
-We both love food despite being very small.
-We both have a habit of making a deliberate scene in public.
-We're both very pale.
-We both have UNGODLY egos.
-We're both raging horndogs.
-We both dick with our friends to an enraging degree.
-We both have irrational phobias. Hers being lightning, mine being the unknown.
-We both place family in high regard.
-We both have a weakness for sweets.
-We both keep hatreds for certain people bottled up for a good moment to vent.

RE: Differences and similarities between you and your character - Liebestraum - 09-10-2015

I spotted this prompt recently and thought it looked interesting. Smile 

Similarities:
1. We both love coffee a little too much.
2. I, like my character, love poetry. We can't write it to save our lives, but that only makes us love poetry even more.
3. K'oda and I both are compulsive list makers. Crossing things off that list after completing a task is soooo satisfying. Tongue 
4. We are both gay.
5. We both play the violin. 
6. K'oda and I are both blonde but not natural blonde Wink 
7. We both love to fly. Myself obviously in airplanes and he in airships haha ^^

Differences:
1. K'oda is quite calm and even tempered, but I freak out about everything. 
2. I admit I'm not a very good keeper of secrets irl, but K'oda is like a vault. 
3. K'oda can play cello and piano as well as the violin, but I only play one instrument.
4. I can only wish that I were as organized as K'oda. 
5. While K'oda is quite formal and proper, I'm afraid I'm not quite that polished and composed haha ^///^ 
6. K'oda isn't superstitious at all, but irl I can't ride across train tracks without crossing my fingers and lifting my feet. :3 
7. K'oda has adorable cat ears and a tale, but me, try as I might, I can't seem to grow either. =^.  .^=

RE: Differences and similarities between you and your character - C'kayah Polaali - 09-10-2015

Similarities:
  • We both love to drink coffee, and cocktails!
  • We're both foodies
  • We both love books
  • We both love music
  • We both love witty banter

Differences:
  • Well, Setoh is evil...
  • Setoh doesn't plan things in the long term, I do
  • Setoh is impulsive, I'm not
  • Setoh loves to fight, I don't
  • I'm pretty strictly monogamous, Setoh is not
  • I avoid pain. It's spice to battle (or love) for Setoh

RE: Differences and similarities between you and your character - SaintEaon - 09-10-2015

Similarities: 
Both in our early twenties
Rae, like myself is prone to lashing out in anger
Rae like myself is an idealist 
Rae like myself feels there is always a right and wrong thing to do, regardless of if you know what that thing is

Differences:
Rae has a hard time staying faithful in a relationship
Rae gets relationships 
Rae will seek you out to hurt you, I don't look for problems, and I'm more likely to DDoS or Dox someone than hurt them
Rae is very very brute force minded where as I'm very strategic 
If Rae thinks you're a bad guy and has some proof that you might be, he will continue to poke and prod at you until you explode and prove his point
Rae can lose his sense of humor easily, I always find something to joke about.