Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? (/showthread.php?tid=12824)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

[Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - -no longer matters- - 08-03-2015

So I play a Dark Knight RP wise, and I've been noticing something, almost every Dark Knight I meet plays a voidsent powered Dark Knight.. Am I the only one that plays an emotion fueled Sith like Dark Knight like the lore and Class Quests says we are? 

I have no problem with Voidsent DRK players but it would be nice to connect with some people who play actual FFXIV Dark Knights.

Has anyone else also noticed this?

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Virella - 08-03-2015

/scratches head

In truth I have seen more people roleplaying their DRK as "I'm a knight/sellsword with just one big sword."

Sadly enough I do not know people's characters enough to tell if they are a DRK besides that Sad

(PS I still have not managed to catch you ingame for roleplay x_X!)

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Oli! - 08-03-2015

If / when I ever get the character that I want to turn into a Dark Knight into the 3.0 content, they will be emotionally driven because I find that more fun.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - -no longer matters- - 08-03-2015

(08-03-2015, 05:37 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: /scratches head

In truth I have seen more people roleplaying their DRK as "I'm a knight/sellsword with just one big sword."

Sadly enough I do not know people's characters enough to tell if they are a DRK besides that Sad

(PS I still have not managed to catch you ingame for roleplay x_X!)
Yeah I've met a few of those too, and those are cool too, and I do mix the Sellsword property into my own roleplay (and kind of Dark Avenger in my head cannon and short stories since in game there's few chances to do such.)

I've been so busy catching up to PvE stuff, and FC RP! I'll be on around 8pm (est) tomorrow I'll try to catch you with a friend invite!
(08-03-2015, 05:45 PM)Oli! Wrote: If / when I ever get the character that I want to turn into a Dark Knight into the 3.0 content, they will be emotionally driven because I find that more fun.
*High Five* Get to 3.0 sir!

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Mercer - 08-03-2015

One thing that is important with DRK is to make sure you get through the 30-50 quests first before RPing. There's a lot going on that doesn't come into fruition until that post 50 story. Nature of DRK, their powers, their origin and more is locked away.
That being said, DRK is fantastic for RP. There are a lot of ways to approach the RP, from the grizzled war veteran barely hanging on to their sanity or the raw recruit going through the downright bizarre and surreal transformation into a DRK.

There is a ton of potential out of Dark Knights that I wish people would enjoy or explore more.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Aaron - 08-03-2015

Oddly enough I asked a friend that same question and his reply was (he actually was a lot more blunt but I'll water it down)

"Playing a DRK who calls upon the void sounds far better than playing a DRK who draws power from being a emotional crybaby and throwing temper tantrum to boost his power."

I guess people read "draw power from emotions" in a more negative light. Social media depiction of darkness and emotions doesn't help improve the situation. 

But I can't really comment because im one of those DRK OOC just for the Greatsword IC type people. Sure Aaron's emotional at times but he doesn't draw power from it. More like he draws motivation.

It's a mixture of preference and how people view darkness to be synonymous with cutting yourself at night.

(08-03-2015, 05:57 PM)Oswin Wrote: One thing that is important with DRK is to make sure you get through the 30-50 quests first before RPing. There's a lot going on that doesn't come into fruition until that post 50 story. Nature of DRK, their powers, their origin and more is locked away.
That being said, DRK is fantastic for RP. There are a lot of ways to approach the RP, from the grizzled war veteran barely hanging on to their sanity or the raw recruit going through the downright bizarre and surreal transformation into a DRK.

There is a ton of potential out of Dark Knights that I wish people would enjoy or explore more.
Right I actually looked up spoilers before I started planning War's RP so I wouldn't go the wrong route, and the DRK story is phenomenal and the Post 50 quest line explains so much about them, and how much they themselves don't fully understand yet.

Show Content

(08-03-2015, 05:59 PM)Aaron Wrote: Oddly enough I asked a friend that same question and his reply was (he actually was a lot more blunt but I'll water it down)

"Playing a DRK who calls upon the void sounds far better than playing a DRK who draws power from being a emotional crybaby and throwing temper tantrum to boost his power."

I guess people read "draw power from emotions" in a more negative light. Social media depiction of darkness and emotions doesn't help improve the situation. 

But I can't really comment because im one of those DRK OOC just for the Greatsword IC type people. Sure Aaron's emotional at times but he doesn't draw power from it. More like he draws motivation.

It's a mixture of preference and how people view darkness to be synonymous with cutting yourself at night.
Guess they aren't Star Wars fans. I personally love the Sith, and the Dark Knights are FF's Siths

(08-03-2015, 06:01 PM)War Siren Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 05:59 PM)Aaron Wrote: Oddly enough I asked a friend that same question and his reply was (he actually was a lot more blunt but I'll water it down)

Guess they aren't Star Wars fans. I personally love the Sith, and the Dark Knights are FF's Siths
Don't be discouraged. If anything im pondering Aaron to go the emotions = power DRK route later. If I do choose that route here's to hoping I can hunt you down as a IC teacher or something.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Mercer - 08-03-2015

It's a shame that the Emo/Scene trend of the last decade has poisoned emotional and dark storylines There's a lot of great, classic conflict that can be explored with DRK including the traditional conflict of Superego, Ego and Id.

In fact, I would say that conflict between the Ego and Id is more important than any 'darkness' or 'emotional' aspect to the DRK character. The motivation of a DRK is not in the pain or suffering they have gone through but the conflict between primal even self protective behavior versus responsibility and morality. This conflict between primal aspects of the mind creates more of the 'void' and it's power than any outright 'dark' characteristics.

(08-03-2015, 06:04 PM)Aaron Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 06:01 PM)War Siren Wrote:

Don't be discouraged. If anything im pondering Aaron to go the emotions = power DRK route later. If I do choose that route here's to hoping I can hunt you down as a IC teacher or something.
Oh I'm not but it would be cool to form a small circle with people who play the more Sith like Dark Knights. Feel free to friend me, when ever you're ready War will be around!
(08-03-2015, 06:05 PM)Oswin Wrote:

It's a shame that the Emo/Scene trend of the last decade has poisoned emotional and dark storylines There's a lot of great, classic conflict that can be explored with DRK including the traditional conflict of Superego, Ego and Id.

In fact, I would say that conflict between the Ego and Id is more important than any 'darkness' or 'emotional' aspect to the DRK character. The motivation of a DRK is not in the pain or suffering they have gone through but the conflict between primal even self protective behavior versus responsibility and morality. This conflict between primal aspects of the mind creates more of the 'void' and it's power than any outright 'dark' characteristics.
^Right here this guy gets it!

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - ProvaDiServo - 08-03-2015

I actually am not familiar with anyone making use of voidsent DRK really.

You know how it goes. 

The human population is like a flock of sheep. Depict something one way and the majority of people now assume it's always been that way.

Sad really, I feel rp would be a lot better if more people branched off in different styles not just hating something because it sounds crybaby.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - ProvaDiServo - 08-03-2015

(08-03-2015, 06:19 PM)Aaron Wrote:

You know how it goes. 

The human population is like a flock of sheep. Depict something one way and the majority of people now assume it's always been that way.

Sad really, I feel rp would be a lot better if more people branched off in different styles not just hating something because it sounds crybaby.

Yeah, it's pretty double-edged. but that's the drive you gotta use when making that type of RP feel approachable

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Sin - 08-03-2015

No, you're not the only one.

I posted a thread seeking a character that could serve as a mentor for mine on his way to becoming a Dark Knight as portrayed in the FFXIV Lore/Job Quest.

As a result of this thread I was in touch with a handful of Dark Knight roleplayers who for the -most- part stayed faithful to the lore of the Darkside as presented in the game.

And yet even then, even requesting a particularly fierce adherence to the presentation in game, I find that a lot of those I spoke with injected their own flavor into it. Some subtle, some less so.

Ultimately, you're going to run into all manner of crazy things out there.

In any case, I play Jullienaux Sintierre, an ends justify the means knight who has come under tutelage of Draco Nobis, an Ishgardian that has overcome the Darkside and commands it in the name of righteousness! Both of us roleplay more traditional Dark Knights.

I've also roleplayed with Sarnai Kha, an Au Ra DRK that from the brief meeting seemed to also be played closely by the Lore with a hint of their own flavor.

Finally, Clementine Whittaker is another I wanted to RP but our times have not matched together very well. They roleplay a DRK based on emotion, highly emphasizing the Id, Superego, and Ego conflict.