Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? (/showthread.php?tid=12824)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Virella - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 01:12 PM)War Siren Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 01:07 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: Sarnai: fear we got to agree to disagree then! I'm really a firm believer that the quests are rooted into Ishgard for a reason; and with it being pointed out that the first DRK was found in Ishgard, and taking the knowledge that even AST did not manage to spread to Limsa, I cannot imagine DRK knowledge has spread outside Ishgard/Coerthas. It may be starting to spread now. But going "Hehoooo I'm a DRK from Othard." is stretching the limits a bit too far me personally.
Right but whose to say a DRK wasn't in Othard (sp) for X reasons (They do travel.)and fell and his Soul Crystal was discovered by an Au Ra, and that Au Ra
Show Content

then spread the teachings to others.. I mean it's VERY plausible, thanks to the DRK Class quest.

I mean hell War found hers on a corpse frozen in The Coerthas Highlands, and was mostly self trained until she met a man at Camp Dragonhead that trained her.
Because that is getting a bit too much into taking liberties with lore, and making things up, instead of well, adjusting to the lore given. Live and let live; I am not going to berate people for it if they want to make up their own headcanons and roleplay as such, however I prefer sticking to lore as closely as possible, and I would ask people to reconsider to play with what we have, because, hell, a roleplayer should adjust his/her character to the lore, and not dance around the lore to adjust it to his/her character.

However what you did with War, I think that is a perfect example of having an "outsider" taking it up the DRK mantle believable without making lore up into someone's favour!

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - -no longer matters- - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 01:20 PM)Oswin Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 01:11 PM)Sarnai Kha Wrote: Like I said, its only a head cannon to support all the DRK's from Orthard and to be honest, people are still going to RP what they want to so its better to just accept that the head cannons existence is okay rather than causing a rift in the community. Live and let live I say.

I don't think this is a 'rift' kind of issue. As I said previously it's not something I'd recommend but I'm definitely no authority to say what can be or can't be RPed. Do your own thing, discussion is healthy for people to form their own opinions. I most certainly wouldn't ignore you for having your own background/past/lore. Sure there may be conflict, but RP is bred on IC conflict and OOC cooperation.

We're the Dark Knights, take some of the order's rules to heart. Go ahead and let the conflict brew IC, but OOC we're an RP family and should enjoy the conflict that outside the box ideals can bring.
Yuss I agree with this part! We should all really make an OOC DRK resource Link shell to help each other develop stories etc.

(08-04-2015, 01:25 PM)Virella Douront Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 01:12 PM)War Siren Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 01:07 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: Snip snip
Snip snipity snip snip
Because that is getting a bit too much into taking liberties with lore, and making things up, instead of well, adjusting to the lore given. Live and let live; I am not going to berate people for it if they want to make up their own headcanons and roleplay as such, however I prefer sticking to lore as closely as possible, and I would ask people to reconsider to play with what we have, because, hell, a roleplayer should adjust his/her character to the lore, and not dance around the lore to adjust it to his/her character.

However what you did with War, I think that is a perfect example of having an "outsider" taking it up the DRK mantle believable without making lore up into someone's favour!
I too usually try to adhere to lore as much as possible, but if someone makes a well thought out stretch of lore that is at least plausible I'll usually let it pass, if not just for the fun stories it could present.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Fox - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 01:32 PM)War Siren Wrote: I too usually try to adhere to lore as much as possible, but if someone makes a well thought out stretch of lore that is at least plausible I'll usually let it pass, if not just for the fun stories it could present.

As do I. I'm lore-plausible personally, but I think a lot of that comes from the fact that my first MMO RP (not rp period as that's from 1998) stems from Star Wars and there's so much EU and head canons that go on.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Sylentmana - 08-04-2015

I've seen far too many DRK players RPing as Guts wannabes. A person RPing as a voidsent warrior would be a nice change of pace, to be honest.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Mercer - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 02:47 PM)Sylentmana Wrote: I've seen far too many DRK players RPing as Guts wannabes. A person RPing as a voidsent warrior would be a nice change of pace, to be honest.

Perhaps for a chaotic evil character. Voidsent are devoted consuming the Aether of Hydaelyn and the world after all. They are other worldly, maddening creatures that exist to destroy the world.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Fox - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 02:54 PM)Oswin Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 02:47 PM)Sylentmana Wrote: I've seen far too many DRK players RPing as Guts wannabes. A person RPing as a voidsent warrior would be a nice change of pace, to be honest.

Perhaps for a chaotic evil character. Voidsent are devoted consuming the Aether of Hydaelyn and the world after all. They are other worldly, maddening creatures that exist to destroy the world.

This is the only time I can really approve of anything like that. But something to keep in mind with this; coming from someone who -has- rped evil aligned characters... So many people tend to get very upset when "No one rps with me because I play evil chars" or "No one likes my character". Be prepared for repercussions. And unless your character has the charisma and ability to manipulate people very well; not everyone will want to play with a character like that.

It's why I tend to suggest against playing voidsent in general, (and personally stick to DRK lore because I enjoy it so much) unless a person is fully prepared for what may come of it.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Sin - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 09:30 AM)Aaron Wrote: How do you start off such a development to a DRK when your character doesn't even know they have the capacity to be a DRK and won't realize it on their own. Do I have to go the cliche get into a fight and suddenly get so emotional boom DRK powers route? Or can I do a more subtle route like someone else picking up on his capabilities or something?

This is a good question, Aaron. I'll tell you how me and Draco handled this. We asked a third party to come up with a short little event-- some sort of emergency. Casually, both knights were in the observatorium when this emergency occurred, and both rushed out gallantly to aid this caravan in distress. The attack on the caravan was more than it seemed, and Draco was forced to use his great power to ensure victory.

At that point my character went googly eyes, and much later on, after they'd saved the victims of the skirmish, he'd complain to Draco about his lack of any power to make a difference and ask Draco for tutelage.

(08-04-2015, 10:33 AM)War Siren Wrote: Another thing I would recommend people to is really pay attention to the level 58 Class quest.
Show Content

There was a thread where we were posting all the cool spoilery stuff from the MSQ, and side quests, and I remember specifically shaking my head vehemently at someone who seemed to just dismiss that quest as sillyness. Heck no. That was probably the most informative quest as far as how DRK's are supposed to work. Not to mention the character development of the questgivers. I like that quest.

(08-04-2015, 11:29 AM)Oswin Wrote: This right here is a very important distinction on the origin of the Dark Knight's powers. The dark powers can be brought out through anger, hate, sadness, suffering but they are not essential. Other emotions can be used as fuel as well, the point is to bridge that gap from the Ego to the Id.

The Void is a complex concept, it's a power source that is created through hate and resentment but can be nurtured through love and compassion. There has to be the violent, powerful separation that splits the soul in two but there also must be the reconciliation of that split and becoming 'whole' again as well. Being a Dark Knight involves a journey that rends a man down to his most base features and then must be built back up again stronger than ever.

In the end the Void is fueled by powerful emotion.  The most common are hatred, anger and suffering but they aren't pure emotions. Compassion for the weak and love for family gives them just as much if not more power because those emotions are essentially bottomless. They do not poison the mind and soul as hate does.

Hey, my man. You keep using the word Void here, but... unless that's the flavor you're going for which is totally fine, the Void's got little to do with DRK's.

It's the Darkside you're referring to.

(08-04-2015, 03:18 PM)Sin Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 09:30 AM)Aaron Wrote: snipity do dah

Snipity ay

(08-04-2015, 10:33 AM)War Siren Wrote: Snip snip what a wonderful day

There was a thread where we were posting all the cool spoilery stuff from the MSQ, and side quests, and I remember specifically shaking my head vehemently at someone who seemed to just dismiss that quest as sillyness. Heck no. That was probably the most informative quest as far as how DRK's are supposed to work. Not to mention the character development of the questgivers. I like that quest.

(08-04-2015, 11:29 AM)Oswin Wrote: Snipperoo

Hey, my man. You keep using the word Void here, but... unless that's the flavor you're going for which is totally fine, the Void's got little to do with DRK's.

I agree that quest is really important to the class, it's sad people dismissed it because of the Moogles.

Abyss is the wording they use in the quest chains. Could be what he meant.

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Melkire - 08-04-2015

[Admin Hardhat]

Slapped a spoiler tag on the thread title, since people are getting into the DRK job quests and that content is still somewhat fresh. Staff should probably get around to discussing when we can stop spoiler-tagging things. Yarr.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled entertaining discussion.

[/Admin Hardhat]

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Mercer - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 03:18 PM)Sin Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 09:30 AM)Aaron Wrote: How do you start off such a development to a DRK when your character doesn't even know they have the capacity to be a DRK and won't realize it on their own. Do I have to go the cliche get into a fight and suddenly get so emotional boom DRK powers route? Or can I do a more subtle route like someone else picking up on his capabilities or something?

This is a good question, Aaron. I'll tell you how me and Draco handled this. We asked a third party to come up with a short little event-- some sort of emergency. Casually, both knights were in the observatorium when this emergency occurred, and both rushed out gallantly to aid this caravan in distress. The attack on the caravan was more than it seemed, and Draco was forced to use his great power to ensure victory.

At that point my character went googly eyes, and much later on, after they'd saved the victims of the skirmish, he'd complain to Draco about his lack of any power to make a difference and ask Draco for tutelage.

(08-04-2015, 10:33 AM)War Siren Wrote: Another thing I would recommend people to is really pay attention to the level 58 Class quest.
Show Content

(08-04-2015, 11:29 AM)Oswin Wrote: This right here is a very important distinction on the origin of the Dark Knight's powers. The dark powers can be brought out through anger, hate, sadness, suffering but they are not essential. Other emotions can be used as fuel as well, the point is to bridge that gap from the Ego to the Id.

The Void is a complex concept, it's a power source that is created through hate and resentment but can be nurtured through love and compassion. There has to be the violent, powerful separation that splits the soul in two but there also must be the reconciliation of that split and becoming 'whole' again as well. Being a Dark Knight involves a journey that rends a man down to his most base features and then must be built back up again stronger than ever.

In the end the Void is fueled by powerful emotion.  The most common are hatred, anger and suffering but they aren't pure emotions. Compassion for the weak and love for family gives them just as much if not more power because those emotions are essentially bottomless. They do not poison the mind and soul as hate does.

Right, sorry. Easy to get the powersource confused on DRK, they call it the Abyss instead and is completely different.

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Cato - 08-04-2015

Yeah. A lot of people seem to forget that - and voidsent are, realistically, a threat to be put down. They're better left to something played temporarily as part of an event and then ultimately banished or slain.

There's only so many times an outright villain can become a thorn in someone's side and then conveniently escape without it becoming stale.

It's why I always cringe whenever I see someone role-playing their character as a succubus...in broad daylight, no less. Can it be done well? Sure! But usually it's less about being a fearsome voidsent and more about catering to ERP from what I've seen.

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Sylentmana - 08-05-2015

(08-04-2015, 07:47 PM)Graeham Wrote:

Yeah. A lot of people seem to forget that - and voidsent are, realistically, a threat to be put down. They're better left to something played temporarily as part of an event and then ultimately banished or slain.

There's only so many times an outright villain can become a thorn in someone's side and then conveniently escape without it becoming stale.

It's why I always cringe whenever I see someone role-playing their character as a succubus...in broad daylight, no less. Can it be done well? Sure! But usually it's less about being a fearsome voidsent and more about catering to ERP from what I've seen.

I was talking more about a character that attained their power through a pact with a voidsent ala D&D warlock. Not so much an actual voidsent. I wouldn't play either one, to be honest as I don't really like tank classes and I'm far too attached to my mage.

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Tumensuns - 08-06-2015

I hope those voidsent knights aren't openly stating their knights of the void because catastrophic events were caused by overuse of black magic that pulled from the void, even if the common folk don't know much about that anymore since years have passed, anyone with an inkling of history education or magical education would know, and most likely wouldn't sit idly.

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Gegenji - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 09:56 AM)Tumensuns Wrote: I hope those voidsent knights aren't openly stating their knights of the void because catastrophic events were caused by overuse of black magic that pulled from the void, even if the common folk don't know much about that anymore since years have passed, anyone with an inkling of history education or magical education would know, and most likely wouldn't sit idly.

It's not even that. Void = Voidsent = Bad is a general knowledge chain for even most folks. Even normal soldiers are understandably upset if someone brings a Voidsent into a fight.