Hydaelyn Role-Players
"We Should RP" - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: "We Should RP" (/showthread.php?tid=12930)

Pages: 1 2

"We Should RP" - Lilia Lia - 08-10-2015

I say this to a lot of my friends and a lot of people say it to me, too.  And it's true, I miss RPing with certain people.  But at the same time, my character is caught up in a very specific story arc and randomly bumping into a person she knows in the middle of that for... no real story reason other than wanting to have an encounter... is hard for me to wrap my head around.

So when I want to RP with people I usually try to talk to them about ways that our characters can be relevant to each other in order to actually have an interesting encounter.  But people don't seem to like this, so I'm not sure what to do.

How do you just RP with people?  Do you really just put your characters in the same setting and RP a bit of obligatory "oh fancy seeing you here" dialogue and then go on to a conversation, or something?  Or does anyone else like to come up with a specific context that you use for RPing with people that you'd like to RP with?

It might be a little different for me because I don't like to use teleporting in my RP and I like my character's geographic location to make sense at any given time.  But this might be limiting what I can do RP-wise so I'm not sure how to make compromises.  Interested to hear what more experienced people do when overcoming the character stuff when you just wanna RP with someone.

RE: "We Should RP" - Kaniko Niko - 08-10-2015

I can't very well say much that's different. Like you, I'm fairly big on context. It's one thing meeting someone while roaming the Pearl Lane, it's another to just... RP without context.

Why is a fairly important question.

RE: "We Should RP" - Cliodhna Eoghan - 08-10-2015

this for me is where events really come into play. i love seeing people that i already know ic for chit chat there but it's such a great way to have a causal meeting with someone. even more-so if they're at a more specialized event that caters to their characters (for example the crafting one on fridays i believe...) if clio was more into making things from raw materials (or artsy-crafty) she'd totes be there buzzing around the other crafters asking for tips, suggestions on projects and use that as an opener to get some conversation flowing.

tavern nights and fight nights are good for that as well; set up ooc a reason for each to be there and why then pop on in. works well for people you don't know but see sitting off to the side. give em a tell asking if they're up for rp then scoot over, compliment their clothes, drink/weapon choice or just a question in general. one i liked to use with people i know ooc but didn't get much chance to rp with ic is "i know this sounds like a pickup line and i swear it's not, but you do look familiar....have i seen you around ____?"

once the contact is made; it gives you option to get to know them for a little bit, then set up a time to meet again for mover conversation, once they've made ic "friend" status. then you can drag them into more detailed plots (as they can with you) and so on. as far as travel goes; i imagine it takes awhile but there's airships, boats, cocobo back. just say you've traveling for awhile to reach said destination. you don't have to make the trip out to someone each time, after the initial meeting; you can then invite them to vist you when they're closer to your home.

RE: "We Should RP" - Ashe - 08-10-2015

I prefer context as well.  I like setting a scene beforehand so people don't try to stumble over each other trying to figure out how their characters would interact when they literally would have no reason to interact otherwise. Then again, I am huge on planning big, open world events and like setting up crazy things for people to lose their minds over hehe.

I've only had ONE interesting random walk up RP (which I didn't even intend for to happen because I was half afk reading other people's rp in the QS)...it ended up with my character days later deciding to sell his soul to voidsent because he was curious to see what would happen (for science!)....like literally, that was the only time I was able to RP with no context.

RE: "We Should RP" - -no longer matters- - 08-10-2015

Yeah I have this problem too atm, there's a lot of people I want to RP with but finding reasons for my character to be in X place has been hard especially with me being apart of so many story lines (3 apprentices and then FC story, and then my small side story of getting a Weapon War won't break.) 

It's just tough.

I use Airships instead of Teleporting to explain why my character can get around from place to place.. in a decent time frame.

(08-10-2015, 05:49 PM)War Siren Wrote: Yeah I have this problem too atm, there's a lot of people I want to RP with but finding reasons for my character to be in X place has been hard especially with me being apart of so many story lines (3 apprentices and then FC story, and then my small side story of getting a Weapon War won't break.) 

It's just tough.

I use Airships instead of Teleporting to explain why my character can get around from place to place.. in a decent time frame.

that reminds me, i need to get in touch with you about that. >.>; gimmie a poke in game later i'm making dinner now but i should have some time after that :3

RE: "We Should RP" - Virella - 08-10-2015

If people want to rp with me, I generally do it ASAP. Else I will just forget about it.

These days I will try to conjure up excuses why Vi wouldn't be in Ishgard, but I only come as far as her going to Mist/Limsa. Else I'm really, really, just going to forget about roleplaying with x.

That said, if I find people interesting, I will just try to bump into them IC one way or the other. I never had much issues with initiating roleplay Smile

RE: "We Should RP" - -no longer matters- - 08-10-2015

(08-10-2015, 06:37 PM)Cliodhna Eoghan Wrote:
(08-10-2015, 05:49 PM)War Siren Wrote: Yeah I have this problem too atm, there's a lot of people I want to RP with but finding reasons for my character to be in X place has been hard especially with me being apart of so many story lines (3 apprentices and then FC story, and then my small side story of getting a Weapon War won't break.) 

It's just tough.

that reminds me, i need to get in touch with you about that. >.>; gimmie a poke in game later i'm making dinner now but i should have some time after that :3
I won't be on til about 10 - 11 (est) tonight, if you're on I'll send you a tell!

RE: "We Should RP" - Warren Castille - 08-10-2015

I've always been keen on "I'm going to be in X place at Y time, find an excuse to bump into me."

RE: "We Should RP" - Cato - 08-10-2015

I usually strive to keep things plausible whilst also ensuring that it's easy for people to get involved with my character if they wish to interact with him. A good compromise is to suggest considering role-play to have taken place in the past or future rather than the present - which ensures that if your character is bound to a particular place in the present then you're still open to adding stuff to your character's story by filling in the blanks.

It's a shame though, there's a lot of people I'd love to interact with but we so rarely get the opportunity to do so due to timezone differences or because by the time they've finished one exclusive storyline with their main set of contacts they're already in the process of setting up another.

RE: "We Should RP" - Eddard - 08-10-2015

One thing that makes it easier is to have your friend come to you if their character has less reason to be sticking around to one general area or anything like that. Beyond that detail, not being against the RP being somewhat loosely related to your story could make it more flexible since your character's motivation would be there. In the story, what does your character need at the moment? Would it be justified for their character to be one that yours would go to for help with that need? They may not necessarily succeed in being extremely helpful but it will make RP happen either way. That isn’t to say they’ll outright fail at what you ask, it may just turn out that what you ask for isn’t as helpful as you may have hoped, which may work out if you already know how this need will be resolved in the story. It's completely feasible that our characters may go through several connections or resources before a break through, whether we wrote them prior or had them happen to RP with a friend.

If no specific reason works, thinking general and working back to specifics could help you think of something. Using that may often make the need something you think of on the spot to help get the RP going. This could still loosely pertain to your story but may not be something that needed to happen, especially if it just ends up being a fruitless endeavor like I mentioned before. Some general categories and examples could be: 

Trade, which may lead me to determining that Eddard needs his crafter friend to fix up his armor before pursuing the dangers his story holds; Information, which may lead to me determining that Eddard seeks out a scholar friend to see if he can learn more about his enemy only to find out his friend has no new information; Support, which may lead to Eddard asking a conjurer/medic friend the favor of helping the wounded recover when they return from the doubtlessly taxing mission that faces them.

I'm working off imaginary partners in these examples but knowing the traits of your friend's character could make the thought process easier. Keep in mind that this can work both ways. If your character could find no reason to seek out your friend's character, perhaps your friend's character could find reason to seek yours out. 

This sort of thought process works a bit easier if you're able to justify your character having a bit of free time somewhere in their day that isn't taken up by their story/stories but I can understand if that isn't the case since I've been there myself. I hope this was helpful and hope you find some compromises!

(08-10-2015, 06:45 PM)War Siren Wrote: I won't be on til about 10 - 11 (est) tonight, if you're on I'll send you a tell!
i should be :3

getting back on topic; i met someone ic but literally bumping into them at an date auction on the beach xD they started chatting after that and ended up going out to lunch for more conversation. was a lot of fun

RE: "We Should RP" - Asmodean - 08-11-2015

Save for one person, I've never really had any one ask out rp out right, but I would blame myself more then anyone else. Had a number of small maybe half hour to hour encounters that has been it. Until I upgrade can't really handle anything longer really. Hope to fix that in a few weeks.

I can say I would have a few problems for Asmo once I'm in a better place rp wise due to Asmo refusing to ride mounts unless greatly wounded. Also I avoid teleports for him as well with feeds into his backstory a bit along with where I plan to push him once I get a greater number of contacts.

Now as a few other have said... context is important so much as where a meeting might take place. IF I have Asmo IC doing a long term job at _____ city then it would have to be at least somewhere around said city. After all wandering off somewhere with no word to higher up isn't going to make a good name for yourself with those you are working for.  Aside from that if you see Asmo feel free to poke him. I have starting to do patrols in the Western Highlands as part of being IC to stay in line with the  journal he's been writing.  It's been fun just helping a few solo players with fates as I patrol.

RE: "We Should RP" - Sylentmana - 08-11-2015

I think this largely has to do with one's preferred method of RP. There are many who need a certain level of context and are really only in character when doing a scene. If this is your way of RPing, then you may need to get in contact with the other players ahead of time to discuss possible scenarios in which your characters could interact in a manner that makes sense.

RE: "We Should RP" - 13uddy - 08-11-2015

(08-11-2015, 08:49 AM)Sylentmana Wrote: I think this largely has to do with one's preferred method of RP. There are many who need a certain level of context and are really only in character when doing a scene. If this is your way of RPing, then you may need to get in contact with the other players ahead of time to discuss possible scenarios in which your characters could interact in a manner that makes sense.

Agreeing with this.

Also:

I'm one of those people that is practically almost always in character, but that is just my personal preference and I don't expect everyone to be the same.  If I know someone who wants to RP but needs a setup or something, I suggest we meet up at a specific place at a certain time, but I leave details fairly vague.  I think of it like when you make plans to go hang out with a friend, but have no immediate plans other than "hang out with friend" and just let it build from there.  

If it is someone I don't know IC, I'll similarly offer a few vague suggestions if they need a reason to start interaction.  For instance, I might suggest "I'll be at (location) at around (time), maybe you could say you saw him drop something and have been trying to catch up to return it?".  I don't like to pre-plan the whole thing too often (I prefer the spontaneity of on-the-spot freeform RP), so I leave a lot of it open to interpretation for them to go at their own pace.   

Otherwise, I just let it happen when it happens.  I've had plenty of great RP friends over the years that I only had the chance to RP with sporadically for one reason or another (such as both of us having some involvement in heavy RP groups that didn't exactly interact), but every so often we found a way to make it work.  One of those friends and I even went so far as to become RP "pen pals" of sorts and would send in-character messages in the form of letters to each other during the stretches where we just couldn't get together to RP.