Hydaelyn Role-Players
An Identity Crisis of Digital Proportion - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: An Identity Crisis of Digital Proportion (/showthread.php?tid=13009)

An Identity Crisis of Digital Proportion - Solistor - 08-15-2015

SO, I've been lurking around the RPC for about a day now; browsing random wiki pages, checking out the writing prompts in the workshop section, etc., and I've been feeling a little intimidated by just how "everybody knows everybody" this community seems. It feels like if I made a character that appears like a knock-off of someone else's character I'd be crucified. I know I really shouldn't worry, but I care way too much what other people think, especially if I'm going to be interacting with them for an extended period of time.

To that end, I must ask for a review on my two character ideas that I've been juggling around until such time that Balmung is available to create a character on. These won't be extensive histories of each character, more just a general profile of who they are and what defines them. Since they both share a central theme (tossing a coin for decisions, the same motto, and a faith in chance), I'm only going to be using one of the two. I have a favor for Arlon, because pirates are a theme close to my heart, but I know the theme has been done to death and back.

Show Content

Show Content

And that's that! Let me know your thoughts and any ways I can improve a characters' story!

RE: An Identity Crisis of Digital Proportion - Chris Ganale - 08-15-2015

Seems pretty legit to me, and doesn't sound similar to any characters I've ever heard of. The Two Face-esque chance of fate decision making sounds pretty awesome.

RE: An Identity Crisis of Digital Proportion - 13uddy - 08-16-2015

(08-15-2015, 04:52 PM)Solistor Wrote: I have a favor for Arlon, because pirates are a theme close to my heart, but I know the theme has been done to death and back.

Why should that matter?  I mean, sure, it might not be the most original to play a pirate, but that doesn't mean you can't still play one and put your own spin on it.  

That said, I think both characters look fairly interesting, so just go with the one you prefer.

RE: An Identity Crisis of Digital Proportion - Roe Dad - 08-16-2015

(08-16-2015, 02:09 PM)13uddy Wrote:
(08-15-2015, 04:52 PM)Solistor Wrote: I have a favor for Arlon, because pirates are a theme close to my heart, but I know the theme has been done to death and back.

Why should that matter?  I mean, sure, it might not be the most original to play a pirate, but that doesn't mean you can't still play one and put your own spin on it.  

That said, I think both characters look fairly interesting, so just go with the one you prefer.
Play what you like people also say that everyone plays tragedy but if its what you want roll with it!

RE: An Identity Crisis of Digital Proportion - Sounsyy - 08-16-2015

And that's that! Let me know your thoughts and any ways I can improve a characters' story!

Since you have an obvious preference for Arlon, given the greater detail your description of that character and backstory went into, I have to recommend going with Arlon! Definitely seems like a fun character and one I can't say I've seen in play. Sure, pirates are commonplace, but the setting fully supports this! And no two pirates or pirate crews are the same. Just like knights, adventurers, and do-gooders are typical dimes-a-dozen, it doesn't necessarily mean their stories are less interesting.

I play a Maelstrom Captain and would love to RP with your character sometime! So feel free to give me a wave in game when you get in, and if you need any help with lore on Limsa, pirates, etc feel free to ask questions in the forums or can send me a PM anytime!

RE: An Identity Crisis of Digital Proportion - Aya - 08-16-2015

This game totally doesn't have too many pirates.  You shouldn't feel at all apprehensive about playing one!  They're also entirely thematically appropriate and all of that :-]

RE: An Identity Crisis of Digital Proportion - Solistor - 08-16-2015

Fair points all around - I guess it's time to raise the flag and hoist the sail!

RE: An Identity Crisis of Digital Proportion - Oli! - 08-16-2015

Voted for Highlander because Highlander.

RE: An Identity Crisis of Digital Proportion - I'nhalki - 08-17-2015

Arlon sounds like a more compelling concept to me—more elegant and simple. 

One thing I would consider in your development in terms of lore is that Highlanders are quite rarely seen as privateers (especially a Highlander of your character's father's generation) and I would use that aspect as something of an exercise in how his father became a seafaring type. 

For me, the transition from Ul'dahn sellsword/merc/bandit to privateer via Vesper Bay makes a lot of sense, dependent on whether Arlon's father came to Ul'dah either before or after Ala Mhigo's fall. I believe there are many who could help you develop that lore, and it might help you spread your RP across Limsa Lominsa to Ul'dah if you would like to have him RP there, too.

Welcome! I have lurked here for quite some time, too, and am still having trouble deciding between concepts. I wish you happiness in whatever choice you make and hope to see in Limsa Lominsa sometime.

RE: An Identity Crisis of Digital Proportion - Sounsyy - 08-17-2015

(08-17-2015, 01:39 AM)Inhalki Wrote: For me, the transition from Ul'dahn sellsword/merc/bandit to privateer via Vesper Bay makes a lot of sense, dependent on whether Arlon's father came to Ul'dah either before or after Ala Mhigo's fall.

Well, the blurb he gave us is that Arlon comes from a long line of pirates, his father included. But just because they're pirates does not mean they have to have been located originally around Limsa Lominsa. The Sterlings could have just as easily been pirates of the Jade Sea (the body of water bordering Gyr Abania), but made frequent port to Limsa because of its free piracy policy. Not all Highlanders are Ala Mhigan, even if it is their ancestral home in Eorzea. And even if Arlon's father were a transplant, considering Arlon was born on a pirate ship 18 years before the Fall of Ala Mhigo, I think we can exclude the Empire's takeover of the city-state as a reasoning for his exodus.

His backstory still works and doesn't necessarily need an Ala Mhigan connection simply because he's highlander, unless he wants to add one.

Just a misconception I wanted to clear up however is that Ala Mhigan refugees didn't just flood Ul'dah, which was the main one, but also Limsa and Gridania.

Sundhimal 1.0 Wrote:Though now that there is proof they are from Garlemald, there is no reason not to hunt them down and wipe them out before they can cause the same type of chaos Ala Mhigo fell victim to but fifteen years past. Memories of the atrocities committed by the Empire still haunt many in this city-state, for a large number of refugees fled to Limsa Lominsa after their nation fell.

Unfortunately, in Gridania, the Ala Mhigans were not allowed to integrate into their society and were forced to remain in Quarrymill, a town designed to be a holding place for immigrants until the elementals judged whether they could enter or remain without.

Hope this helps! ^^

RE: An Identity Crisis of Digital Proportion - Gegenji - 08-17-2015

It seems like you've already made your decision, but I threw in a vote for Arlon too. I'm rather curious to see how he feels deep-down about working for the people that effectively murdered his "family" in that pirate crew of his, and how he remains working so vigilantly for them besides. The coin-flip and sticking to it also gave me a strong Figaro brothers vibe from FF6, which is always a good thing for me. Thumbsup

RE: An Identity Crisis of Digital Proportion - Solistor - 08-17-2015

Inhalki & Sounsyy' Wrote:Backstory stuff

I'll admit I haven't really developed his backstory that far back yet, but it was my intention for Arlon's family to stick to the Rhotano Sea, which by the map appears to border Thanalan as well. I remember the intro saying Limsa was once run by pirates, but then Merlwyb shaped it up, so I think the former pirate haven would be a good starting point for the Sterling legacy.

Gegenji Wrote:It seems like you've already made your decision, but I threw in a vote for Arlon too. I'm rather curious to see how he feels deep-down about working for the people that effectively murdered his "family" in that pirate crew of his, and how he remains working so vigilantly for them besides. The coin-flip and sticking to it also gave me a strong Figaro brothers vibe from FF6, which is always a good thing for me. [Image: thumbsup.gif]

Yeah, he's quite salty (hehehehe) about that, but as a man whose word is ironclad he dutifully serves. Over time he'll probably come to enjoy the company, but for now the only thing he'll show them is respect, and nothing else. As far as the Figaro brothers go, all I have to say is that I'm a master of making references to things I don't even know about. Also, the Sterling Seal is a proper heads/tails coin.

RE: An Identity Crisis of Digital Proportion - I'nhalki - 08-17-2015

(08-17-2015, 08:06 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: Just a misconception I wanted to clear up however is that Ala Mhigan refugees didn't just flood Ul'dah, which was the main one, but also Limsa and Gridania.

Sundhimal 1.0 Wrote:Though now that there is proof they are from Garlemald, there is no reason not to hunt them down and wipe them out before they can cause the same type of chaos Ala Mhigo fell victim to but fifteen years past. Memories of the atrocities committed by the Empire still haunt many in this city-state, for a large number of refugees fled to Limsa Lominsa after their nation fell.

This is so helpful! I've wanted to make a Lominsan highlander but the character creation text's bit about how rarely they are seen in Eorzea outside Ul'dah always threw me off:

"Of late, Highlanders have become an increasingly rare sight in Eorzea, their number almost exclusively by those who fled Ala Mhigo after its fall and now work in the desert city-state of Ul'dah as mercenaries and sellswords."

Good to know the greater backstory of the exodus and other possibilities. I wish the game showed a bigger diversity of Highlander NPC characters!