Hydaelyn Role-Players
Roleplaying Couple Looking for Server - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Roleplaying Couple Looking for Server (/showthread.php?tid=13012)

Roleplaying Couple Looking for Server - Mirage159 - 08-15-2015

My husband and I have just started playing FFXIV, he's a returning player and I'm brand new, and we're both big time Roleplayers and are currently on his old server of Siren. We did our research and learned that Gilgamesh and Balmund are the big time RP servers, but as you all are probably aware, the window times to get into the locked servers are very rare.

So I'm calling out for help in finding a server that we could possibly RP in, since we don't want to waste days of our subscription time waiting for the big RP servers to open up. If you know of any servers with some form of Roleplay community, please reply and let us know. 

Thanks!

Nisah Lihzeh, aspiring Summoner

RE: Roleplaying Couple Looking for Server - Virella - 08-15-2015

Transfer to Balmung I would say. Obviously I'm biased, but it is the biggest roleplaying server around. It's worth the money, really <3!

RE: Roleplaying Couple Looking for Server - Lydia Lightfoot - 08-15-2015

Agreed! I paid the transfer cost and it's definitely worth it. Also, the $18 isn't for just one toon, if your account subscription is one where you can do multiple toons on a server you can transfer as many as you want (up to the max of 8) to Balmung for the one price (not $18 each).

RE: Roleplaying Couple Looking for Server - Mirage159 - 08-15-2015

Well, the thing is, I just spent a lot of money on the game as it is, and we don't exactly have a lot of money to be spending on server transfers. I don't think anyone would be too keen on the idea of paying nearly $20 on a character that isn't even level 10 yet.

RE: Roleplaying Couple Looking for Server - Cliodhna Eoghan - 08-15-2015

make an alt to try out both balmung and greg. the best times to do so are right when the servers are ready to come back up after going off for maintance. it is a bit of a pain (and frustrating at times.... xD) but well worth it if you can make it over here as the ones posted above have said.

but in regards to your character being so low level; making an alt to try first makes more sense than ponying up the cash to straight off move over.

either way if you do happen to make it to balmung; feel free to gimmie a poke. both my hubbie and i play on there :3

RE: Roleplaying Couple Looking for Server - Lazy Genius - 08-15-2015

(08-15-2015, 06:26 PM)Mirage159 Wrote: My husband and I have just started playing FFXIV, he's a returning player and I'm brand new, and we're both big time Roleplayers and are currently on his old server of Siren. We did our research and learned that Gilgamesh and Balmund are the big time RP servers, but as you all are probably aware, the window times to get into the locked servers are very rare.

So I'm calling out for help in finding a server that we could possibly RP in, since we don't want to waste days of our subscription time waiting for the big RP servers to open up. If you know of any servers with some form of Roleplay community, please reply and let us know. 

Thanks!

Nisah Lihzeh, aspiring Summoner

I got some pretty good advice.

For now, you could just enjoy the game on your first play-through and not worry so much about the RP as the story unfolds before you. Then, if you're still feeling the FF14 vibe later on, you can do a paid transfer if that's your wish.

If this helps at all, I was able to create a Gilgamesh character at about 8am EST. That's not too unreasonably early to try to hop on and make a character -- this way your still on one of the large RP servers!

Haven't managed to get into Balmung yet, myself. I'm in the same boat as you. New to the game, just bought it, and don't want to pay for a transfer yet. Good luck!

RE: Roleplaying Couple Looking for Server - Roe Dad - 08-16-2015

Balmung all the way

RE: Roleplaying Couple Looking for Server - Spethah - 08-16-2015

Jenova has a small group if you don't want to wait a while to play the game you want to RP in so you can afford a paid transfer to a larger hub.

RE: Roleplaying Couple Looking for Server - Inoxe - 08-23-2015

I recommend Siren as an alternative. There actually are a few RP Free Companies (player guilds).

As you may know, Balmung and Gilgamesh have been closed to new characters for months. The only exception is that sometimes, for a few minutes after maintenance ends (typically between 2-3 AM Pacific time - you have to stalk the maintenance window announcements), you might be successful before the lock hits. Getting new TWO new characters properly generated and onto the server at that ungodly hour, before the lock hits, will take a lot of luck and effort, especially since maintenance windows always finish on work days.

Yes, you have been told to pay Square Enix's $18 transfer cost after waiting three days. Even though Square Enix says transfers aren't allowed to locked servers, in fact they are not prohibited. I suspect transfers to popular servers is a good secondary income to Square Enix. In effect, it's an extra fee, just to be in an RP-active environment.

It is also in the interest of existing RPers on Balmung and Gilgamesh to encourage you to pay $25/character and transfer. After all, they don't want "new blood" going elsewhere. By not actively supporting any other servers on this site (the only significant web site for FFXIV RPers) they promote their comfort and fun at the expense, quite literally, of newcomers like you.

I don't think there is any nefarious plot here. It's just companies and people looking out for their own interests without appreciating the cost to others.

Furthermore, it's not uncommon to discover after a month or two that building a new character is a good idea, now that you know the game system. That's another $18 to transfer the new characters.

So, resist the $18+ "RP tax" and just come to Siren. The community there needs your help!