Hydaelyn Role-Players
Monk Gates and their Dangers - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Monk Gates and their Dangers (/showthread.php?tid=13148)

Pages: 1 2

Monk Gates and their Dangers - Jmaaira - 08-25-2015

Hello! I wanted to get everyone's standpoint on the dangers of opening gates and the usage of aether and chakra as a monk. To be clear, this is not for my own character, but rather research into a friend and subordinate's condition. I've roleplayed my character looking through books and such for information on this matter and now I need the ooc knowledge to back up the learning of ic knowledge. So anything pertaining to this would be helpful. I prefer answers that match well with the lore and would be something that could be potentially found in a book related to those matters. Thanks!

RE: Monk Gates and their Dangers - Oli! - 08-25-2015

As far as quests go, I don't think there's really any stressed "dangers" of opening your gates, though those in the storyline that have opened them tend to be a little power-hungry about it.

If you wanted to come up with something, the stress of being unable to handle the aether might work, since we have examples of that happening in other places, I believe.

The closest thing that we have to a danger is the following:

Show Content

RE: Monk Gates and their Dangers - Jmaaira - 08-25-2015

I understand that from the quest perspective but what's the general consensus from roleplayers? What dangers come from unlocking the gates? Power addiction, withdrawal symptoms when limitations are placed, aggression, things of that nature.

RE: Monk Gates and their Dangers - Berrod Armstrong - 08-25-2015

Will answer this in a moment when I get back from a thing!

RE: Monk Gates and their Dangers - Sylentmana - 08-25-2015

(08-25-2015, 01:55 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: Will answer this in a moment when I get back from a thing!

I was about to say "Where is Berrod? He could answer this."

OKAY SO.

Show Content

However! It's quite fine for you to apply dangers and limits to opening chakras for your own characters! The power comes from the self once they are opened, and because of that, there's a lot of room for individual flair. If you want to put a few dangers in place for your character, have at it! If you want them to have an easy time of having an open chakra, go right ahead. 

In the case of Berrod, I applied limits to all of his, and dangers should they be abused. It was really a measure of ensuring that the character doesn't come across as OP, but it ended up working nicely into his story (First, Fourth, and Sixth drain him [the sixth much more than the others!], the second is...lol. Well that's a funny one. The third one can hurt both friend and foe if he isn't careful, the fifth requires finesse or BAM, he runs into a wall or something)

RE: Monk Gates and their Dangers - Virella - 08-25-2015

Can't monks open it with meditation as well though? Or am I making things up in my mind now? Huh

RE: Monk Gates and their Dangers - Saravahn - 08-25-2015

Help a newbie out. I know of/have researched into the first seven chakras (root, sacral, etc. etc. up to crown) and thought that's where they ended in FFXIV as well.

Reading this thread mentioning a 14th? O.o

Where is information regarding 9 - 14? Did I miss mention/explanation of them through the 1-50 class quests? Are they mentioned after 50?

Any links would be helpful and appreciated.

Edit: Admittedly, I have not yet played monk past 51... as such I don't have knowledge of the lore presented in the class quests beyond that point. That being said, I don't mind spoilers in this regard as it will help me to stick to the lore. Especially since my monk is currently attempting to train another in the art... >.>

---

On the actual topic at hand, using the research I have made, I've made it difficult for my monk to be able to access whatever power each gate would provide depending upon their current mood, state of mind, thoughts, etc. For instance, if she is overly scared, then her root chakra is all messed up and she is unable to call upon its powers.

The inherent danger there would simply be her being used to being able to call that power mostly at will... and suddenly not being able to since she can't get her fear under control.

Beyond that, I don't know of any actual dangers regarding the various chakras/gates. Though, I'd have to side with Berrod on this and say make it personal/unique to your character as you see fit. Smile

(08-25-2015, 02:55 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: Can't monks open it with meditation as well though? Or am I making things up in my mind now? Huh
Yes! This takes a lot of time though -- in terms of the in game skill, it's more like they're preparing to harness and unleash the power of their already accessible chakras!

RE: Monk Gates and their Dangers - Virella - 08-25-2015

Show Content

Bloody Ala Mhigan savages : <

(08-25-2015, 03:18 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(08-25-2015, 02:55 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: Can't monks open it with meditation as well though? Or am I making things up in my mind now? Huh
Yes! This takes a lot of time though -- in terms of the in game skill, it's more like they're preparing to harness and unleash the power of their already accessible chakras!

Thank you!

(08-25-2015, 03:08 PM)Etienne Wrote: Help a newbie out. I know of/have researched into the first seven chakras (root, sacral, etc. etc. up to crown) and thought that's where they ended in FFXIV as well.

Reading this thread mentioning a 14th? O.o

Where is information regarding 9 - 14? Did I miss mention/explanation of them through the 1-50 class quests? Are they mentioned after 50?

Any links would be helpful and appreciated.

---

On the actual topic at hand, using the research I have made, I've made it difficult for my monk to be able to access whatever power each gate would provide depending upon their current mood, state of mind, thoughts, etc. For instance, if she is overly scared, then her root chakra is all messed up and she is unable to call upon its powers.

The inherent danger there would simply be her being used to being able to call that power mostly at will... and suddenly not being able to since she can't get her fear under control.

Beyond that, I don't know of any actual dangers regarding the various chakras/gates. Though, I'd have to side with Berrod on this and say make it personal/unique to your character as you see fit. Smile

Show Content

RE: Monk Gates and their Dangers - Saravahn - 08-25-2015

Many thanks. I will certainly look into those and pay close attention during the 50-60 quests.

My apologies for the slight derail.

(08-25-2015, 03:19 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: Above 7+ it is mentioned in the +50 questlines, that said 8-14 is probably super rare to have unlocked! There were/are sects of Fists or Rhalgr, and 8-14 gate seemed to either duelling a monk of the other sect, or right out murdering them. However the questline evolves about the two sects working together again instead of seeking one another to murder one another to unlock gates.

Bloody Ala Mhigan savages : <

(08-25-2015, 03:18 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:

Thank you!

Show Content

RE: Monk Gates and their Dangers - Oli! - 08-25-2015

Remember to spoiler stuff, my friends.

Whoops! I really should, lemme go back and fix that.