Hydaelyn Role-Players
Help with Languages - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Help with Languages (/showthread.php?tid=13275)

Pages: 1 2

Help with Languages - Riven - 09-03-2015

Specifically-accents.  My main (Hyur) is half-Ishgardian.  Is it possible that despite her living outside of the country-and in different areas, could have picked up on any inflections and tones from her Ishgardian parent?  If so, could these be picked up on by native Ishgardians?

(I'm slightly working with IRL experience from this-my mother was born and raised on the upper Eastern US coast, in different areas.  She was a single parent, and I've been told several times by people when I speak, I sound as if I'm from certain areas up there.)

RE: Help with Languages - Virella - 09-03-2015

If you continue to do your MQS you will figure out that the Pillar people are a lot more posh, and the Brume the... not so posh!

Depending on the parent's standing in society I'd imagine Smile And accent come and go with the years, mine irl changed quite a few times.

RE: Help with Languages - Riven - 09-03-2015

Hmmm.

RE: Help with Languages - Zelmanov - 09-03-2015

It is a bit Head-canony but I subscribe to the idea that different regions have different accents, 3.0 Took our two voiced Ala Mhigans and turned them EXTREMELY scottish when they had different accents before.

And as Virella said, Highborn pillar people have a different means of speaking and accent in comparison to to the baseborn people of the brume. Nobility have a tendency of using french expressions such as Non-pareil, nom de guerre, etc.

RE: Help with Languages - Oli! - 09-03-2015

(09-03-2015, 09:41 PM)Zelmanov Wrote: 3.0 Took our two voiced Ala Mhigans and turned them EXTREMELY scottish when they had different accents before.

I was told that this was because left their contracted VA studio for a new one in the UK or something, but I don't know for sure.

RE: Help with Languages - Nero - 09-03-2015

(09-03-2015, 09:42 PM)Oli! Wrote:
(09-03-2015, 09:41 PM)Zelmanov Wrote: 3.0 Took our two voiced Ala Mhigans and turned them EXTREMELY scottish when they had different accents before.

I was told that this was because left their contracted VA studio for a new one in the UK or something, but I don't know for sure.

Square did change to a UK-based voice acting studio, hence why "Take A Shot Every Time The Scions' Accents Slip" is sadly no longer a viable drinking game.

As for Ishgard, looking at dialogue transcripts, the only real difference between commoners and nobility is that the commoners, including those in the Brume, occasionally skip consonants.

Direct examples of "commoner" dialogue:

Quote:Ohhh, I see. Skulkin' about at your highborn masters' biddin', eh? Bloodhounds hopin' to catch a whiff of heresy, is that it?

Quote:Lay a finger on the blue bloods' pups and you're like to lose the hand. It ain't often I get called on by glorious heroes like yourself. So tell me: what have I done to deserve you? Before you start─let's go somewhere a bit more private, eh? The Forgotten Knight, say.

Quote:Look, you've a good heart. I can see that. Willin' to risk your neck for someone else, even when his troubles ain't yours. But what's this got to do with me?

Pretty self explanatory.

As above, the Ishgardian nobility and merchants tend to be a bit more posh. The high nobility too occasionally throw in gratuitous French phrases.

RE: Help with Languages - Arcian - 09-03-2015

(09-03-2015, 09:41 PM)Zelmanov Wrote: It is a bit Head-canony but I subscribe to the idea that different regions have different accents, 3.0 Took our two voiced Ala Mhigans and turned them EXTREMELY scottish when they had different accents before.

Show Content

RE: Help with Languages - Riven - 09-04-2015

Huh.  So in the case of my character-her father was a merchant in Ishgard, she'd have a bit more of an... 'upper class' inflection, so to speak?  Or a combination of the two?

RE: Help with Languages - Martiallais - 09-05-2015

Possibly? But if she's not living in Ishgard and around people speaking in that manner, it's likely over time she'd just adopt to the 'accent' of wherever she lived mostly.

RE: Help with Languages - Riven - 09-05-2015

Well, in her case I wanted her to have something of an...'impression' I guess left on her by the Ishgardian parent.

RE: Help with Languages - V'aleera - 09-05-2015

(09-05-2015, 08:36 AM)Riven Wrote: Well, in her case I wanted her to have something of an...'impression' I guess left on her by the Ishgardian parent.
Perhaps instead of an accent she might make use of the situational french terms mentioned before.

RE: Help with Languages - Riven - 09-08-2015

(09-05-2015, 03:07 PM)V Wrote:
(09-05-2015, 08:36 AM)Riven Wrote: Well, in her case I wanted her to have something of an...'impression' I guess left on her by the Ishgardian parent.
Perhaps instead of an accent she might make use of the situational french terms mentioned before.
I was thinking that.  Would it be lorebending if I used any other ones as well?  I did do a google search and found a few good ones on wikipedia, not to mention was thinking of making up some of my own..

RE: Help with Languages - That Guy - 09-08-2015

She could definitely have an accent. I'm from Canada but spent most of my life in America. However my parents are Canadian and because of that I carry their accent with me. I still say 'eh' and hold my 'o's' because my parents did. My accent isn't as strong as theirs but other Canadians always seem to pick it up.

There are also cultural slips you can sneak in. Every area has a different way of talking. For example you'll find that Canadians use a LOT more sarcasm than Americans. Brits also have this really dry kind of humor. Americans, meanwhile, I find are a lot more bold in their word choices. They use 'love' more often than 'like' for example. And different cultures have different words. Your an 'idiot' in America, 'completely daft' in Britain, and a 'idio-sorry, that was rude' in Canada.

Another good example are Germans. The word 'friend' is not thrown around easily. To be a 'friend' you have to have known that person for years and pretty much be joint at the hip. On the other hand, in North America you'll see us use that word almost daily. Our mail man is our friend, that guy you don't know the last name of but lets you cheat off his homework is your friend, your neighbor? Yeah, you're totally bros after he helped you break into your car that one time you accidentally locked your keys in.

Now, lets put this in ffxiv standards. I imagine Ishgard would also be a bit more cautious with the word friend. However it is constantly at war, which would mean you might see them use a lot of military words. 'Comrade' for example, might be more common than 'friend.' I'm sure they would talk about duty a lot more as well. I can imagine them being stoic and conservative with their word choices. You'd have to be. Say the wrong thing and suddenly your being shoved over the witch's drop.

*coughs* Sorry for rambling. I just love little details like this when I rp. Even if a large part of it is all conjecture, it adds a certain flavor to things that just makes them seem more real to me ^^

RE: Help with Languages - Monster Lady - 11-23-2015

This makes me wonder if Ishgardians speak french words much like how the Doman's do. Not in a complete different language like a sentence but peppering their speech with french words and phrases.

RE: Help with Languages - Momoka - 11-23-2015

considering the many many accents that come with the english language, I have absolutely no reason to believe that there would not be different accents from different parts of Eorzea. Im almost completely certain, (VAs aside) that someone from uldah would sound differently than someone from say, Limsa. I have no reason to believe otherwise.