Hydaelyn Role-Players
A reasonable story idea - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A reasonable story idea (/showthread.php?tid=13346)

Pages: 1 2

A reasonable story idea - Yunas13 - 09-09-2015

Alright, I've finished going down the crazy idea train and thinking maybe it would be simpler to try this idea. 
My Au Ra came to Eorzea BEFORE the rebellion in Doma due to she was found by an Ul'dahn or Limsa Lominsa merchant/pirate who finds her and raises her as his own. She is beloved by the people who knows the Lightdragon family. (Her name is Serena Lightdragon, so non-au ra naming as she wasn't raised by an Au Ra Raen Tribe). 

Her father, Raven Lightdragon, is a well-respected and rich merchant by the time Serena is 20. As Serena grows up she shows talent for the Arcanima and enrolls in the guild. The citizens of Limsa see her walking around with her emerald carbuncle, Windsong. 

Her best friend, Michael Lightheart, is 2 years older than her but is quite protective of her. He is a trained swordsman but he's also trained in the art of conjury. He's a well-traveled and well-educated. He is soft spoken and quiet. 

I'm playing with the idea that she is asked to find the elemental horses/ponies as part of her training as a Summoner and with the power of the elements to take down the Garlean Empire. (Instead of hunting for crystals it's the horses of elements who give her strength) I'm drawing inspiration from the game, Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny. The female lead has to go and make pacts with the mana of elements to be able to learn alchemy and help her best friend who is in a different land, but Serena's learning her magic through her trials/pacts. 

Please don't bash this idea, I am really interested in following this thought, she's a summoner but not summoner as she doesn't summon the Egis but the horses. I would use their offical names, Enbarr, Xanthos, etc. 

What do you think?

RE: A reasonable story idea - Ashe - 09-09-2015

Well...Raen don't have tribes...the Raen in Doma are from Doma, not Othard so there is no Raen tribe names...
Those "elemental horses" you see are from Primal gods...so unless you RP the warrior of light who fights primals...it may not work >>
Lastly, I've seen plenty of people who RP Xaela and Raen who have come to Eorzea before the Garleans wrecked anything....though depending on when you consider Doma or Othard wrecked, your character would have to be like 50 years old.

RE: A reasonable story idea - Faye - 09-09-2015

I'm not sure how you can ask for input when you've already decided yourself that it's "reasonable" (I'm not sure that it is) and have asked anyone not to bash it. =/ I'm not sure the horses are canonically/ICly a thing. They are not mentioned/referenced in any quest, to my knowledge, or in any NPC dialogue.

(09-09-2015, 11:21 PM)Ashe Wrote: Well...Raen don't have tribes...the Raen in Doma are from Doma, not Othard so there is no Raen tribe names...
Those "elemental horses" you see are from Primal gods...so unless you RP the warrior of light who fights primals...it may not work >>
Lastly, I've seen plenty of people who RP Xaela and Raen who have come to Eorzea before the Garleans wrecked anything....though depending on when you consider Doma or Othard wrecked, your character would have to be like 50 years old.

Just want to say: Doma is in Othard. >_>;

RE: A reasonable story idea - Aaron - 09-09-2015

If people IC rp summoning primal egi I see no reason su!mmoning a Elemental horse should be shocking.

Aaron IC can do summons that aren't primal egi but ice dogs/Wolves and the people he's shown it to not only see nothing shocking with it but they still rp with me. And two of em are lore hounds.

Long as you aren't saying you wiped out garleans or something drastic go for it.

RE: A reasonable story idea - Ashe - 09-09-2015

(09-09-2015, 11:29 PM)Faye Wrote: I'm not sure how you can ask for input when you've already decided yourself that it's "reasonable" (I'm not sure that it is) and have asked anyone not to bash it. =/ I'm not sure the horses are canonically/ICly a thing. They are not mentioned/referenced in any quest, to my knowledge, or in any NPC dialogue.

(09-09-2015, 11:21 PM)Ashe Wrote: Well...Raen don't have tribes...the Raen in Doma are from Doma, not Othard so there is no Raen tribe names...

Just want to say: Doma is in Othard. >_>;
It is. But Othard...like the steppes and then Doma the city might as well be two different places if you're gonna base your character there.

EDIT: Just gonna say...lore wise, I'm with you up until the ponies. Then it's not exactly reasonable. Lore wise, continued, summoners summon primal egis and can do so because they were there when a primal died (usually involves you felling a primal...condensed version). Anywhooooo...anything outside of that is really just lore bending. The primal ponies are not the essence of the primals. they aren't even canon

RE: A reasonable story idea - Yunas13 - 09-09-2015

I read that RPing a summoner is not allowed as the lore says that Summoners are rare. I thought Raen had tribes like the Xaelas and the raising idea is just a thought I can easily change it, but I do like the Summoning elemental horses in place of the Egis. Smile (Give me some motivation to go after the actual mounts in game. lol) I do want her to be a WoL but maybe change things up a bit, give certain scenes my own take on what should of happened. I've already got an idea for a scene for Enbarr joining Serena's team. 

I know the horses are only obtainable from the primals but I really like the connection to my favorite Atelier Iris game. I apologize if what I wrote sounded like I decided right away it was reasonable, honestly, I didn't really had a smarter title to use. >< 

I've been told write what you know and horses are one thing I know. Tongue I give my word I'm not going to Godmode as I don't understand the idea for it. 

Thank you for replying, I love reading your ideas and suggestions.

RE: A reasonable story idea - Ashe - 09-10-2015

Hmmmm....In general I am not too keen on WoL RP and people who RP as though they did the MSQ. The Summoner summoning the PRIMAL horses (they are not elemental horses) is impossible...like actually just impossible. They do not exist within the lore as a real thing. 
It's not really godmodding as it's more...impossible to begin with.

RE: A reasonable story idea - Sounsyy - 09-10-2015

Mkay. Gonna address some things, then duck out.

Raen have settled in the eastern valleys of Othard's eastern mountains. Not specifically only in Doma. They live in the region in which Doma is in. Many have come to live in Doma. Not all.

Character Creation Wrote:The Raen have embraced a life of tranquility and solitude, long abandoning the nomadic lifestyle of their ancestors to settle the deep valleys of Othard's mountainous eastern reaches. Only on rare occasions will one emerge from the valley mists to seek adventure in realms afar.

Unlike their sister clan, the Raen, who lead solitary lives hidden behind the savage peaks of Othard's eastern reaches, the Xaela are free spirits who roam the vast western steppe in close-knit tribes hunting, gathering, and warring as their ancestors have for countless generations.

--------

(09-09-2015, 11:21 PM)Ashe Wrote: though depending on when you consider Doma or Othard wrecked, your character would have to be like 50 years old.

The Garlean Empire began its occupation of Othard in 1552 6AE, 25 years ago from the present day. So Othard, and by extension, Doma, has only been under Garlean control for at max 25 years. The razing of Doma, however, is a recent event occurring within the last year.

--------

(09-09-2015, 10:58 PM)Yunas13 Wrote: she's a summoner but not summoner as she doesn't summon the Egis but the horses. I would use their offical names, Enbarr, Xanthos, etc.
(09-09-2015, 11:29 PM)Faye Wrote: I'm not sure the horses are canonically/ICly a thing. They are not mentioned/referenced in any quest, to my knowledge, or in any NPC dialogue.
(09-09-2015, 11:40 PM)Ashe Wrote: The primal ponies are not the essence of the primals. they aren't even canon

They are, actually, part of canon lore. (Though why they're horses specifically I have no idea.) As part of the Extreme Primal questline that you begin with Urianger fighting Garuda through Shiva, you find that the Ascians are teaching the Beastmen Tribes how to summon stronger incarnations of the Primals using living sacrifices. And instead of feeding off of merely prayers alone, the Primals are now feeding off of their tempered subject's nightmares. Hence - the horses - aka nightmares.

Nightmare Wrote:While it is no secret that it was the enigmatic Ascians who provided the beast tribes with nightmares, their reasons for doing so remain shrouded in mystery. Otherwise untamable, the single piercing tone of a magicked whistle is the only known method to soothe the savage beasts.

Aithon Wrote:Its breath is said to be as hot as the Seventh Hell. Legend states that the Lord of the Inferno, Ifrit, forged this magicked steed from a nightmare offered by the Amalj'aa in sacrifice.

The horses are a canon part of the Primal Nature storyline. But they are the nightmares of their tempered subjects. Not just... elemental horses. Again, I don't know why beastmen are afraid of horses, but there ya have it.

If you're wanting to use the horses ICly as "elemental horses" for your Au Ra horsemen character, fine, but I would recommend against using their canon names, because those canon names are the fears of beastmen.

--------

(09-09-2015, 11:52 PM)Yunas13 Wrote: I read that RPing a summoner is not allowed as the lore says that Summoners are rare.

Summoners are rare, but not disallowed. You may RP a summoner. There's just a bit of history that comes with the title.

Y'mhitra Wrote:Let us review the history and role of the summoner, that we might never forget the tragedy that befell the unfortunate Tristan.

A summoner is a unique type of mage who harnesses the energy of the primals and reshapes it into a biddable avatar. In the ancient Allagan tongue, these avatars are known as "egi." Only those who are present at the defeat of a primal and have captured its savage essence are able to manifest such aetheric entities. Now, any explanation of the summoner is not complete without a brief history of its origin.

The Allagan Empire reached its peak during the Third Astral Era. Dissatisfied with dominion over Eorzea alone, this thriving civilization sought to expand its borders to ever more distant lands. Eventually, the empire cast its avaricious gaze upon the southern continent of Meracydia. The peoples of these nations did not, however, take kindly to being invaded, and they summoned the primals to repel the Allagan forces. Hard-pressed by these incarnations of elemental wrath, the leaders of the empire's military were forced to alter their tactics. They ordered the mages under their command to devise some manner of magic with which to counter the primals, and, after much experimentation, the art of summoning was born.

The magic invented by these arcane pioneers met with great success, and, within the Allagan Empire, the title of "summoner" earned the bearer an uncommon measure of awe and respect.

Show Content

Hope this helps! ^^;

RE: A reasonable story idea - Faye - 09-10-2015

(09-09-2015, 11:40 PM)Ashe Wrote: It is. But Othard...like the steppes and then Doma the city might as well be two different places if you're gonna base your character there.

No =/ Othard is a continent. Doma is a country (not a city). Doma is literally in Othard. It is a part of Othard.

RE: A reasonable story idea - Warren Castille - 09-11-2015

"I don't want to RP a summoner because they are rare. Instead I want to summon horses, which are rare."

Are you looking for feedback or permission? You'll only find one of those here.

RE: A reasonable story idea - Sylentmana - 09-11-2015

(09-09-2015, 11:52 PM)Yunas13 Wrote: I read that RPing a summoner is not allowed as the lore says that Summoners are rare.

RPing a summoner is allowed. The Allagan art of summoning has recently been revived by the WoL and the Sharlayan scholar Y'mhitra. This implies that others could also be learning how to summon, though it would require them to seek out and defeat primals which holds the threat of being tempered for those that do not possess the Echo.

(09-11-2015, 09:23 AM)Sylentmana Wrote: This implies that others could also be learning how to summon, though it would require them to seek out and defeat primals which holds the threat of being tempered for those that do not possess the Echo.

Less of a threat, more of a promise. Primals that are prone to tempering (Ifrit, Garuda specifically) wouldn't hesitate to try and temper you as soon as you were presented or represented a threat.

RE: A reasonable story idea - Cato - 09-11-2015

I've been playing too much Witcher: Wild Hunt lately. I read 'not allowed' in the voice of a certain NPC...

Putting that aside...nobody can force you to do anything. Though if you're going to do something unusual or take liberties with your character then you need to make an effort to do so in a plausible manner. Even then...you'll have to accept that a lot of role-players will simply raise an eyebrow or avoid your character altogether if it feels too jarring to interact with.

RE: A reasonable story idea - Sylentmana - 09-11-2015

(09-11-2015, 09:29 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(09-11-2015, 09:23 AM)Sylentmana Wrote: This implies that others could also be learning how to summon, though it would require them to seek out and defeat primals which holds the threat of being tempered for those that do not possess the Echo.

Less of a threat, more of a promise. Primals that are prone to tempering (Ifrit, Garuda specifically) wouldn't hesitate to try and temper you as soon as you were presented or represented a threat.

Its not always a promise. Individuals who don't possess the echo, but have exceptionally strong wills can resist the tempering process as evidenced by Tristan who fought Ifrit and wasn't tempered, but his weaker willed brother was.

Tristan was also a puppet to darker powers, but you're technically correct. That marks one in hundreds, if not thousands, who all succumbed to Ifrit on contact. I digress: less of a promise, more of a virtual guarantee.