Hydaelyn Role-Players
Plumbing and Water Usage - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Plumbing and Water Usage (/showthread.php?tid=13348)

Plumbing and Water Usage - Kiera Hawkeye - 09-10-2015

So, something that I've always been curious about. I've been thinking in some of the big cities, like Ul'Dah and Limsa Lominsa, there's got to be some sort of centralized plumbing. Probably something akin to early 20th century style? I wouldn't be surprised if it does exist (as this game has airships, cellphones, and freakin magic), but I was wondering if there were any references to it in game.

RE: Plumbing and Water Usage - Berrod Armstrong - 09-10-2015

There are showers with pipes, as well as hot tubs available in the housing areas -- those are the first references that come to mind. I imagine that those luxuries aren't as easily available to the man on the street, however. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on that!

RE: Plumbing and Water Usage - Sylentmana - 09-10-2015

As Berrod pointed out, it has been shown to exist, though it is likely only the very wealthy can afford this luxury. Otherwise, most people likely use chamber pots and get their water from public fountains, which was their original purpose during ancient times (in RL at least).

RE: Plumbing and Water Usage - Dante Abigor - 09-10-2015

Id like to think that Ul'Dah and Limsa at least would have plumbing or at least a functioning water system, seeing as Ul'Dah has the Gold Fountain in the middle of the city and seemingly random water spout like decorations in the main palace unless Im remembering incorrectly, as well as the nearest source of water being Fesca's Wash.

Limsa on the other hand literally floats on water so.....I wouldnt say its impossible tht they dont have these things, it would just be rather weird for them to live on a floating city and not think to utilize the water properly. Also think about how bad all that would smell.

Gridania on the other hand (At least from my memory) does not seem to have any obvious nods to modern-ish technology outside of the airships. I dont remember seeing any fountains or anything resembling what could be a sewer or pipeline running through the city or any of the nearby camps. Considering they live in the forest and hug trees as well, I would honestly be shocked if they did anyway, considering how much they "respect" the elementals and whatnot. I could see them living a more.....simplistic lifestyle compared to the other two city states which seem to actively pursue advancement.

RE: Plumbing and Water Usage - Ignacius - 09-10-2015

There appears to be some sort of Roman style plumbing system in use in several places, as there are various aqueducts around (particularly in Revenant's Toll).  However, Anything Limsa Lominsa and Ul'dah have can be almost completely explained via that route.  I don't think they have a mess of New Deal-era piping infrastructures, though.  We don't have any evidence of spigots or any access areas I've seen, which would be intrinsic to that level of water delivery.  I also can't recall seeing an irrigation system.  They'd also need a water storage system somewhere above the rest of the city and some manner of reservoir for that.

But, this is Final Fantasy.  None of it makes any difference.  The cities have exactly as much water and infrastructure as Square needs for narrative purposes.

RE: Plumbing and Water Usage - Blue - 09-10-2015

(09-10-2015, 09:01 AM)Dante Abigor Wrote: Limsa on the other hand literally floats on water so.....I wouldnt say its impossible tht they dont have these things, it would just be rather weird for them to live on a floating city and not think to utilize the water properly. Also think about how bad all that would smell.

Keep in mind it's all salt water. Sea water is not fit for plumbing, nor for domestic use (rule n.1 of every shipwrecked: do NOT drink sea water). I doubt Eorzea has something as sophisticated as a purifying central for sea water yet.

Venice (a city built on sea here in Italy) required a lot of time and effort to get a working plumbing system, and it's much more complex and sturdy than those on normal cities built on ground (in fact, prices for pretty much anything are much higher in there, as food, drinks, and overall anything comes from water).

As for Ul'dah, we should not forget that Steps of Thal is, in theory, and with the exception of Sapphire Avenue and Pearl Lane, a part of the Sultana's palace, so the fountain there is kind of justified as being a luxury decoration. I doubt the Brass Blades there would let anyone go in and have a bath or drink from it (in fact, you can't even jump in it in-game).

I think it's safe to say that plumbing is reserved only to the wealthy, and that others have to resort to collecting water from streams and wells or, a-la-FFXI, with water crystals.

RE: Plumbing and Water Usage - Kage - 09-10-2015

It's my headcanon that every city has -some- way to rush water around.

[Image: ffxiv_pcw06006_1920x1080_en.jpg?1387969138]

I think Ul'dah would use the same sort of system that they use in the Goblet to move water around. Not to mention there's fountains and such through out the city state.

Whether or not every home has a running faucet and a toilet I think depends on your wealth. We've got hot water shower spouts though for us rich folk!

RE: Plumbing and Water Usage - Ignacius - 09-10-2015

Yeah, water and plumbing might (like many things in Ul'dah) depend heavily on your wealth.  I doubt the common folk, especially those living outside the cities, have universal access to an infrastructural network of plumbing (that's still the case in parts of America, so Ul'dah likely is in worse shape than that).  You can probably have it built into your manse if you're wealthy so that you get a split off the aqueduct, or you could do it Roman style with an atrium, but I'd assume your average Joe Lalafel is still porting his own water from the public font.

We're adventurers, though, even the poorest of us can afford to use aetherytes at leisure.  I'm assuming our rooms at inns are first class and we can pay millions to afford housing.  We likely haven't been without running water, even in Gridania, since we killed Ifrit.

RE: Plumbing and Water Usage - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-10-2015

RE:Ul'dah Plumming

Let's not forget that the Ul'dah we have "today" is technically built on the remains of Sil'dih, after their war. Sil'dih was known for its plumbing and aqueducts, some of which we see in 2.55. There's a large amount of underground tunnels beneath the city, all of Sil'dihn design.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Sightseeing_Log:_The_Ruins_of_Sil'dih

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sil'dih
(^there is a picture of one such aqueduct)

RE: Plumbing and Water Usage - Riven - 09-10-2015

What would Ishgard have then?

RE: Plumbing and Water Usage - Edda - 09-10-2015

(09-10-2015, 11:52 AM)Riven Wrote: What would Ishgard have then?
They keep buckets under icicles.

RE: Plumbing and Water Usage - Riven - 09-10-2015

(09-10-2015, 12:43 PM)Edda Wrote:
(09-10-2015, 11:52 AM)Riven Wrote: What would Ishgard have then?
They keep buckets under icicles.
*snerks*

RE: Plumbing and Water Usage - Dante Abigor - 09-10-2015

(09-10-2015, 09:21 AM)Blue Wrote:
(09-10-2015, 09:01 AM)Dante Abigor Wrote: Limsa on the other hand literally floats on water so.....I wouldnt say its impossible tht they dont have these things, it would just be rather weird for them to live on a floating city and not think to utilize the water properly. Also think about how bad all that would smell.

Keep in mind it's all salt water. Sea water is not fit for plumbing, nor for domestic use (rule n.1 of every shipwrecked: do NOT drink sea water). I doubt Eorzea has something as sophisticated as a purifying central for sea water yet.

As for Ul'dah, we should not forget that Steps of Thal is, in theory, and with the exception of Sapphire Avenue and Pearl Lane, a part of the Sultana's palace, so the fountain there is kind of justified as being a luxury decoration. I doubt the Brass Blades there would let anyone go in and have a bath or drink from it (in fact, you can't even jump in it in-game).

I think it's safe to say that plumbing is reserved only to the wealthy, and that others have to resort to collecting water from streams and wells or, a-la-FFXI, with water crystals.

If we are theory crafting based upon sophistication, Id think it far more doubtful that Eorzeans have a method for cultivating and purifying Ceruleum, which is apparently an explosive (And if Pharos Sirius is a good enough reference sometimes sentient) substance, but no method for purifying water, or at least discovered that boiling water you intend to drink is helpful, when as you say, Lominsans in particular are surrounded by sea water.

As for the luxury decoration and plumbing reserved for the wealthy parts, I never said everyone had plumbing, since I dont believe that at all either. I do believe that they have some system for it. If you have a fountain, regardless of how limited in appearance it may be in the surrounding area, you still need a working system to make that fountain work. Also as another example.....look at the entirety of the Goblet and SOME parts of the Mists. They clearly at least have a method of moving water where they want it to go.

Finally, although I dont think this is a great example or argument, Ul'Dah has an actual sewer (or waterway) underneath it. A rather huge one too, its briefly seen during the 2.5 finale when everyone is like...*Insert mega spoilers here*  I DO believe however that those sewers were the remains of Sil'Dih though, so as I mentioned before its not a great example. I do think that the if it aint broke dont fix it is a good approach here. Ul'Dahns had no reason NOT to use those sewers. Its not like there were monsters in them. On the subject of sewers though, there are actually more than just the Ul'Dah one in game. Pharos Sirius is another example and I know there are at least two more, I just cant remember specifically where I saw them.