Hydaelyn Role-Players
Do you ever feel bad about a decision? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Do you ever feel bad about a decision? (/showthread.php?tid=13363)

Pages: 1 2 3

Do you ever feel bad about a decision? - SaintEaon - 09-11-2015

I mean specifically when you do something ICly that's totally in character for your character and you know its going to annoy/anger/disrupt other people ICly? I know for instance my character has a tendency to twist arms and intimidate people's characters into not dealing with other characters with the intention of messing up the other character's plans. And every time I do it I get that smug feeling that I imagine like someone in Game of Thrones might feel knowing they made a problem for a rival, but OOCly sometimes I'm like "Yeah I won, but you know, my character's kind of a bad person sometimes." 

I mean it hasn't stopped me from doing it almost every time the option comes up to do so. I mean that's how the game's played if you're jockying for power within an FC or with street gangs in Ul'Dah or whatever. Sometimes political rivals need to be undermined and I'm never hesitant to do something to further my character's status as it is his nature to twist arms and extort people for information or whatever he's trying to get. So I'm curious are there any other people that their character does stuff like this, and do you ever feel kinda bad for it?

RE: Do you ever feel bad about a decision? - Ignacius - 09-11-2015

(09-11-2015, 11:08 AM)SaintEaon Wrote: I mean specifically when you do something ICly that's totally in character for your character and you know its going to annoy/anger/disrupt other people ICly? I know for instance my character has a tendency to twist arms and intimidate people's characters into not dealing with other characters with the intention of messing up the other character's plans. And every time I do it I get that smug feeling that I imagine like someone in Game of Thrones might feel knowing they made a problem for a rival, but OOCly sometimes I'm like "Yeah I won, but you know, my character's kind of a bad person sometimes." 

I mean it hasn't stopped me from doing it almost every time the option comes up to do so. I mean that's how the game's played if you're jockying for power within an FC or with street gangs in Ul'Dah or whatever. Sometimes political rivals need to be undermined and I'm never hesitant to do something to further my character's status as it is his nature to twist arms and extort people for information or whatever he's trying to get. So I'm curious are there any other people that their character does stuff like this, and do you ever feel kinda bad for it?

At various times, my characters have:

-Told a child he was the devil before snapping her neck
-Cut a Chelsea's smile into a man's son while he was gagged, then tightened the gag into the wounds to ply information
-Nailed a woman naked to a table, removed one of her tattoos with a knife and laid it on her face, then threatened to kill her fiancee
-Impaled a man on a spike and gave him a set of weights to hold.  If he dropped them, we would have killed his son
-Rolled a man feet-first into a wood chipper
-Killed my own character's fiancee after two years of developmental relationship RP
-Set a drug-prevention church mission on fire while everyone slept
-Ripped out a friend's character's throat and stitched it back up with steel wire
-Tore out a man's tongue and cut off his hands to keep him from witnessing
-Skinned a woman alive, stretched out the skin into a shroud, and wrapped the carcass in it
-and more!

If anyone ought to feel bad about character actions, it would probably be me.  But it's all in the RP.  You have to play the character.

RE: Do you ever feel bad about a decision? - Sylentmana - 09-11-2015

(09-11-2015, 11:55 AM)Ignacius Wrote:
(09-11-2015, 11:08 AM)SaintEaon Wrote: I mean specifically when you do something ICly that's totally in character for your character and you know its going to annoy/anger/disrupt other people ICly? I know for instance my character has a tendency to twist arms and intimidate people's characters into not dealing with other characters with the intention of messing up the other character's plans. And every time I do it I get that smug feeling that I imagine like someone in Game of Thrones might feel knowing they made a problem for a rival, but OOCly sometimes I'm like "Yeah I won, but you know, my character's kind of a bad person sometimes." 

-Cut a Chelsea's smile into a man's son while he was gagged, then tightened the gag into the wounds to ply information
-Nailed a woman naked to a table, removed one of her tattoos with a knife and laid it on her face, then threatened to kill her fiancee
-Impaled a man on a spike and gave him a set of weights to hold.  If he dropped them, we would have killed his son
-Killed my own character's fiancee after two years of developmental relationship RP
-Ripped out a friend's character's throat and stitched it back up with steel wire
-Skinned a woman alive, stretched out the skin into a shroud, and wrapped the carcass in it
-and more!

If anyone ought to feel bad about character actions, it would probably be me.  But it's all in the RP.  You have to play the character.

I suddenly feel glad your character is tucked safely on Gilgamesh, far away from my character.Tongue

RE: Do you ever feel bad about a decision? - SaintEaon - 09-11-2015

In those situations though the only ones that I'd really feel bad about is the fiance bit. I don't necessarily feel bad for the characters involved, but anytime I take a spy away, or if there's an ERPer who wants to make someone their pet and I step in and make the pet the hunter and totally disrupt their plans, I almost feel bad for the other people because sometimes weeks if not months of effort and work goes into that and I am very very good at persuading character's to see things my character's way, so very rarely has he not gotten his intended goal eventually.

RE: Do you ever feel bad about a decision? - Warren Castille - 09-11-2015

I've had Warren make some questionable decisions in the past, but nothing I feel bad over OOCly. I'm lucky to roleplay with folks who understand the motivations of the character, and I try to be polite enough when interacting with other people to not steamroll their plots. I just don't get involved if I feel I'd make waves.

RE: Do you ever feel bad about a decision? - Virella - 09-11-2015

Rarely! Although I admit on Virella I sometimes feel a bit iffy if people take it to an OOC level with Vi's hatred towards outsiders, what sadly enough happened. But mostly of the time I just roleplay with people who I know who can handle it.

RE: Do you ever feel bad about a decision? - FreelanceWizard - 09-11-2015

(09-11-2015, 11:08 AM)SaintEaon Wrote: I mean specifically when you do something ICly that's totally in character for your character and you know its going to annoy/anger/disrupt other people ICly?

Yep.

L'yhta, for all her positive qualities, can also be a self-righteous, judgmental, selfish jerkass. While she's gotten better at holding her tongue over time, she still picks fights with people over tribal traditions, screws up others' plans because of her sometimes hardline interpretation of the Code of the Magi, and can't help but shoot her mouth off at "zealots" (such as Ishgardians who are politically active), and so on.

While I do like a bit of conflict RP, I have to confess that I feel a bit bad when L'yhta decides to start trouble. So, I tend to send OOC tells afterwards apologizing for my character being a prick. I know IC is IC and OOC is OOC, but I can't help feel a twinge of unhappiness that I might've made someone's RP less fun.

RE: Do you ever feel bad about a decision? - Edda - 09-11-2015

I've been made to feel bad about IC actions on numerous occasions by other players on a purely OOC level. It was incredibly stressful, and as a person new to RP, looking back now I realize how often and how much I compromised Edda's character for the sake of appeasing people OOC. Now that I have moved past all that, I live freely with no regrets. Edda can be a massive ice queen and quite difficult to get along with, but people don't have to like it, ICly or OOCly. Conflict is fun, and while I will jokingly apologize to players for Edda's behavior, I'd never take it back.

RE: Do you ever feel bad about a decision? - SaintEaon - 09-11-2015

(09-11-2015, 12:42 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:
(09-11-2015, 11:08 AM)SaintEaon Wrote: I mean specifically when you do something ICly that's totally in character for your character and you know its going to annoy/anger/disrupt other people ICly?

Yep.

L'yhta, for all her positive qualities, can also be a self-righteous, judgmental, selfish jerkass. While she's gotten better at holding her tongue over time, she still picks fights with people over tribal traditions, screws up others' plans because of her sometimes hardline interpretation of the Code of the Magi, and can't help but shoot her mouth off at "zealots" (such as Ishgardians who are politically active), and so on.

While I do like a bit of conflict RP, I have to confess that I feel a bit bad when L'yhta decides to start trouble. So, I tend to send OOC tells afterwards apologizing for my character being a prick. I know IC is IC and OOC is OOC, but I can't help feel a twinge of unhappiness that I might've made someone's RP less fun.

I'm closer to being more like that. But like say my character is seeing another character and then a third character ends up having a thing for them. The moment my character catches wind of that he tears down their life. He goes after their friends, if they're in a Free Company, he runs disinformation to their mutual interest, and once he starts putting all that pressure on its just about feeling out and seeing what their character can and can't take, and once you find out what they can't take and get that scent of blood you move in for the kill. Its proven incredibly effective, in general Love mixed with a willingness to intimidate someone by letting them know they should be afraid of this other party is a super effective way of dealing with things. Then you mix that in with a few "professionals" who are good at observation and provocation and you can warn someone to be afraid of this person because they do XYZ and then convienently provoke those exact reactions at the worst possible time.

And as good as we've gotten and doing that to people we're "enemies" with, there are times OOCly where I'm like, "Man I hope both our "victim" and the people we're manipulating aren't too upset by this OOCly. I'm not pulling my IC punches but if this works it'll really disrupt things for them." and some people don't handle it well. We lost an RP partner a few weeks ago because we ran this campaign and trying to fight our information network that's existed for awhile this character tried to make their own and pull in help and to do so they ended up metagaming a lot and lying to people to get shit done and it resulted in a huge issue that temporarily made me look bad then a week or two later reversed when they started talking to this other RPer and it got her in serious trouble and cleared my name a bit. Its always a little difficult to gauge a person's reactions OOCly but in the words of some rapper "This is every day business so manage it or run away now if your ass can't handle it."

RE: Do you ever feel bad about a decision? - Ignacius - 09-11-2015

(09-11-2015, 12:01 PM)Sylentmana Wrote:
(09-11-2015, 11:55 AM)Ignacius Wrote:

-and more!

I suddenly feel glad your character is tucked safely on Gilgamesh, far away from my character.Tongue

Luckily, no one yet has given Orleans a reason to go full on show-them-snitches-get-stitches.  PEople who have approached him for various needs, goods, and services have all, thus far, respected his time and his reputation.

But yes, you should probably be very glad.  If you've got a habit of walking into the back alleys looking to poke, Orleans is the kind of guy who doesn't stop and cutting off your finger; hey tends to take the whole arm.

RE: Do you ever feel bad about a decision? - ZacharyVolfire - 09-11-2015

.....Oh good this. My biggest gripe with my self was pitting two friends together so i could buy something for cheaper. The got back together later but it wasn't for a good few months.

RE: Do you ever feel bad about a decision? - 13uddy - 09-11-2015

It happens with me every once in a while.  It hasn't happened here yet, but I've had past RP experience that I felt bad about for one reason or another, though usually for trivial reasons.

It happened far too frequently back in Star Wars Galaxies.  My Imperial characters were not the stereotypical speciesist or sexist Imperials that blindly followed Imperial propaganda, but they still followed the Empire as they believed it to be the legit government.  I had plenty of IC conflict with characters that were openly allied with the Rebels, but OOC I often felt a bit bad about something my character said or did.  There was no OOC conflict between the other players and myself (in fact, I usually got an OOC thanks for my part in the scenes and such), so it was all simply me feeling bad about what my character did for one reason or another.

RE: Do you ever feel bad about a decision? - Coatleque - 09-11-2015

Life is just a series of bad mistakes that end in death.

RE: Do you ever feel bad about a decision? - LiadansWhisper - 09-11-2015

Yes.  Sometimes I really don't like what my characters do or say, and I often worry that something my character does will make people angry or upset OOC.

RE: Do you ever feel bad about a decision? - Jerciex - 09-11-2015

Shortly: Yes, mostly with other players.
Why: Because I made those decisions to let others be free and I didn't want bind them to my character. I have been usually selfless when making those calls, OR I was just really selfish ^^. After while I have realized I shouldn't have done it. But life continues, no matter what decisions you make.