Hydaelyn Role-Players
How Do You Level These Days?! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: How Do You Level These Days?! (/showthread.php?tid=13550)

Pages: 1 2

How Do You Level These Days?! - Candor - 09-23-2015

I'm a long time player who tends to dip back into the game every few months or so, and have come back this time with a few missions in mind. One of those missions is Machinist! So, I'm trying to level Archer in preparation for the Job, checked the good old Googles to make sure my old leveling methods are still valid, and headed to Aleport for FATES.

Yay, FATES. I would rather watch paint dry.

Lo and behold, FATES are even more fun now because there's no one else running the damned things. At least not at Aleport when I was there during prime EST hours. So, is there a new and mysterious method to leveling a low level class that I'm unaware of? Just what is the best way for me to get Archer to level 30?

RE: How Do You Level These Days?! - Steel Wolf - 09-23-2015

I'm trying to sort that out as well, and the method I've currently employed is a salad of Roulettes, Clan Hunts and Levequests.

RE: How Do You Level These Days?! - Caspar - 09-23-2015

Repeated dungeon runs, daily roulettes and hunts.

RE: How Do You Level These Days?! - Shoshopu - 09-23-2015

People go to Costa del Sol (sometimes), Coerthas Central Highlands, Northern Thanalan, and Churning Mists for FATEs these days. That's what I do, but all of that is around or post 30.

That, and scream and cry and ask myself "why" alternately and repeatedly. And daily roulettes. And MSQ where applicable. Hunting logs are good, too.

RE: How Do You Level These Days?! - Lost River - 09-23-2015

With my multiple characters + multiple jobs = Level as much as I want to. Wewt.

RE: How Do You Level These Days?! - Kellach Woods - 09-23-2015

Hunting Log will bring you from 1-5 easy peasy, then leves until 15 (get your guildhest first-time bonus - it's per class) dungeons, then leves inbetween dungeons until around 23-25

THEN IT'S ALL ABOARD THE FATE TRAIN CHOO CHOO

23-28 - South Shroud (Quarrymill area)
28-32/33 - Eastern La Noscea (Costa del Sol area)
33-42 - Coerthas Central Highlands
42-50 - Northern Thanalan
50-52 - Coerthas Western Highlands (if you are lucky if not skip this and go to...)
52-57/58 - The Churning Mists
57-60 - Dravanian Hinterlands

If you can space these with roulette runs to get the bonus then by all means do so.

RE: How Do You Level These Days?! - Lydia Lightfoot - 09-23-2015

As long as you have at least one class at level 20 to have a level 20 levequest giver unlocked, change to your new class and pick up level 20 leves with a higher level friend partied. You go to where the leve is, initiate at +4, let your friend do the work killing the enemies. Ideally, your friend should have a rez spell, just in case. This will get you to 10 super fast. 

Then, have your friend chase you around while you do your Rank 1 and Rank 2 hunting log. If you're under level 16 by the time you've completed both ranks completely, crunch out a couple more leves.

Beyond that point:

1. Do your daily roulettes.
2. Run additional dungeons until you finish any challenge logs you can for dungeons.
3. Run fates until you finish any challenge logs you can for fates.
4. Check the challenge log for any other easy exp bonuses you could get by doing some stuff. Might not be as efficient as nonstop dungeon roulettes but it breaks up the monotony.
5. When all else fails, run dungeon roulettes.

When you get to 20, have your high level friend crunch you through all of the Rank 3 hunting logs.

If you have the headband that gives an exp boost up to level 25, be sure to use it. There are also some foods and drinks that give a small boost, and if you're in a Free Company of high enough rank they might also be able to use a Company Action to give an exp boost too.

RE: How Do You Level These Days?! - Xydane - 09-23-2015

Fate Leveling because we all agree that it's tedious as hell. Thanks, Youtube.

RE: How Do You Level These Days?! - Melkire - 09-23-2015

Leveling Roulette and Guildhest Roulette net you a nice daily bonus for running them. These bonuses scale to your level, so they are always relevant until you reach level cap.

Each guildhest features an experience bonus for the first time you complete them on each class.

There are Hunting Logs for all classes (but not the new jobs, DRK MCH and AST) that consist of ten monster types for every ten levels. Completing each tier nets you a nice bonus on top of the monster type bonuses.

There's a Challenge Log that you can unlock at either level 15 or 16 by picking up a quest at the Adventurer's Guild in Limsa Lominsa. There's loads of weekly bonuses available here: for completing a certain number of roulette runs, for running a certain number of dungeons, for completing a certain number of FATEs, for completing a certain number of levequests, etc. The best part is that these weekly bonuses scale to your level, so they are always relevant until you reach level cap.

There are FATEs on every overworld map that correspond to that area's level range. FATEs are basically open-world events for which you can net some experience by participating in activities that count towards the goal's completion.

Generally speaking, if you unlock the Challenge Log, complete your roulettes daily, gradually work towards Hunting Log progression, and hit every Main Story Quest and sidequest available on each map, you'll level at a decent pace. FATEs are either a last resort or a means of quickly progressing through otherwise painfully slow level gaps (47-49, 58-59, etc.)

RE: How Do You Level These Days?! - Nebbs - 09-23-2015

Most people have covered things, I would just add...
Get a class to 60, you get a boosted XP bonus.
Also mix and match the methods so you don't get board.
Try find things that double up, the Ishgard hunts give XP and tokens for gear upgrades.
Do run dungeons as fate grind tends to produce geared characters where the player does not know how to do their role effectely 

Have fun and remember RP > everyting

RE: How Do You Level These Days?! - Aris - 09-23-2015

I've been trying to level a tank and dps class under 30 too - the lack of activity in low level areas is making it very slow Sad
Everyone's said everything I can think of, but also having your chocobo out helps with some fates, epecially if they're a healer one.

RE: How Do You Level These Days?! - Vyce - 09-23-2015

I haven't really grasped the concept of the dungeon roulette I guess. It seems like at lvl40 when the roulette sends me into Satasha, I'm stuck in a party with a tank that doesn't yet know how to generate enmity, so I'm doing a half-hour of heal spazzing for...a tiny little drop of exp. I don't get the point of making me go through that. Luckily I discovered this morning that there are two more dungeons after Brayflox that are not unlocked through main story, so I'll be doing those tonight and probably getting much better exp.

My usual level up is one run of the highest dungeon available to me, and then some hunting log. -Maybe- a fate or two on the way. -maybe- a second dungeon run if there is a lot left. Getting from 38 to 40 was a pain in the ass though with my hunting log capped.

RE: How Do You Level These Days?! - Gegenji - 09-23-2015

(09-23-2015, 10:44 AM)Vyce Wrote: I haven't really grasped the concept of the dungeon roulette I guess. It seems like at lvl40 when the roulette sends me into Satasha, I'm stuck in a party with a tank that doesn't yet know how to generate enmity, so I'm doing a half-hour of heal spazzing for...a tiny little drop of exp. I don't get the point of making me go through that. Luckily I discovered this morning that there are two more dungeons after Brayflox that are not unlocked through main story, so I'll be doing those tonight and probably getting much better exp.

I am leveling a 59 AST and my dungeon roulettes are still Tam-Tara and Satasha. It's just how things play out, unfortunately. Sometimes you'll get something higher level like Haukke Manor (or even a level-relevant dungeon!), but mostly you're just doing it for the daily roulette bonus at the end. If you're going to chain-run dungeons, it's probably better just to queue up manually to the highest level one.

RE: How Do You Level These Days?! - Ignacius - 09-23-2015

(09-23-2015, 12:17 AM)Candor Wrote: I'm a long time player who tends to dip back into the game every few months or so, and have come back this time with a few missions in mind. One of those missions is Machinist! So, I'm trying to level Archer in preparation for the Job, checked the good old Googles to make sure my old leveling methods are still valid, and headed to Aleport for FATES.

Yay, FATES. I would rather watch paint dry.

Lo and behold, FATES are even more fun now because there's no one else running the damned things. At least not at Aleport when I was there during prime EST hours. So, is there a new and mysterious method to leveling a low level class that I'm unaware of? Just what is the best way for me to get Archer to level 30?

I run with my FC.  That makes FATE running about a million times easier and more fun.  We also tend to run leves and dungeons as we go.

The fun of the game isn't in what you do, it's how you do it and who you do it with.

RE: How Do You Level These Days?! - Saravahn - 09-23-2015

1. Get a company mate to powerlevel me to 15.

2. Run dungeons (and roulette) until about 40.

3. Northern Thanalan fates to 53.

4. Churning mists fates until 59 or 60.

5. If tired of fates at 59, run library about 6 times to ding 60.