Hydaelyn Role-Players
DYD: Solo Emotes? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: DYD: Solo Emotes? (/showthread.php?tid=13552)

Pages: 1 2

RE: DYD: Solo Emotes? - Zetchryn - 09-23-2015

I do it too! It's my common response to being bored and not having anyone to RP with. I'll start posting random RPs!

RE: DYD: Solo Emotes? - SicketySix - 09-23-2015

Yes I do. I think most everyone does.

RE: DYD: Solo Emotes? - Sig - 09-24-2015

Before Sigurd got stuck in his current glut of "hide from constant IC assassination attempts," I'd enjoy RPing him in public places like the Quicksand and had a few solo emote go-tos:
  • Smoking moko grass in public;
  • Drinking large amounts of wine alone;
  • Carving wooden objects;
  • Cursing while reviewing dense business transaction documents;
  • Buying amusing patrons wine; 
  • Pacing about the room in a large circle. 
I usually draft the solo-emote posts on the spot, and they're normally around 3-5 sentences.  It's a great way to warm up for substantive RP and meet new RP'ers!

RE: DYD: Solo Emotes? - Faye - 09-24-2015

It's how I initiate/fish for RP, but I've also done it while leveling alts. I'll go to a quest hub to turn something in, see some people RPing there, have my character react to whatever's going on, etc. It's just a nice (even if incredibly brief) break from the monotony of leveling and helps me feel a bit more involved with the game and still in touch with the RP community even when I'm focusing on PvE. Since I don't directly address other characters, or often times I dash off quickly, I usually don't get any responses, which is fine, but sometimes people do acknowledge my character which is always a pleasant surprise and gives me a small break from leveling.

RE: DYD: Solo Emotes? - Mia Moui - 09-24-2015

I have been using /say to openly question NPCs.  Sometimes I react to what they've said.  Other times, I'm following the plot inside my head that involves Mia looking for her sisters. I question them and reply to their answers in a way that let a reader (if there was anyone around) intuit what the NPC must have said. It's not as complicated as I'm making it sound.

I was mocked once, RP'd twice, and the rest of the time, nothing happened or no one was around.  I feel pretty good about it.

RE: DYD: Solo Emotes? - Vyce - 09-25-2015

I've been experimenting with more detailed solo posts. Yesterday I played out a scenario where Nell (Vyce's fairy) taught him a sigil that could illuminate metal objects in a small body of water when written and channeled in his tome. (She kind of indirectly taught him through inspiration).He discovered a brass earring in the scrying pool in the center of the quicksand, which Nell threw back in because who cares about a brass earring.

I found it interesting but a little disheartening that a man rolling up his sleeve and shoving his arm into the water after doing something glowy with his tome did not attract even glances from the maybe 12 RPers in the immediate area at the time. These were pharagraph posts that I waited a few minutes in between so as not to clutter up the chat.

I really think there is bubble-syndrome in a lot of groups.

RE: DYD: Solo Emotes? - SicketySix - 09-25-2015

(09-25-2015, 08:55 AM)Vyce Wrote: I've been experimenting with more detailed solo posts. Yesterday I played out a scenario where Nell (Vyce's fairy) taught him a sigil that could illuminate metal objects in a small body of water when written and channeled in his tome. He discovered a brass earring in the scrying pool in the center of the quicksand, which Nell threw back in because who cares about a brass earring.

I found it interesting but a little disheartening that a man rolling up his sleeve and shoving his arm into the water after doing something glowy with his tome did not attract even glances from the maybe 12 RPers in the immediate area at the time. These were pharagraph posts that I waited a few minutes in between so as not to clutter up the chat.

I really think there is bubble-syndrome in a lot of groups.
Ehh, it happens sometimes.

I once fired an arrow into the ceiling of the Quicksand pinning a flyer to the roof in front of a supposed "guard" who'd been emoting what a boring night standing at his post he was having. Nothing......

Other times I skip a pebble into the fountain and *BAM* instant RP.

RE: DYD: Solo Emotes? - Cliodhna Eoghan - 09-25-2015

generally when i go to the quicksand or other cafe type set up area; i have clio bring her workbook, drop it on the table (usually fairly loudly due to size) and have her order either a drink and/or food and just em her eating and working. i tend to keep the em's about ten minutes or so apart but leave it open for anyone curious about what she's doing.

if i'm at an even i usually em checking out the contests and stuff if no one grabs my attention first. so far it's all worked pretty well :3

RE: DYD: Solo Emotes? - Sigil.9054 - 09-25-2015

(09-23-2015, 08:58 AM)SessionZero Wrote: It's an easy way to invite other RPers to initiate RP when you're not feeling particularly ambitious yourself, so I've done it on occasion. Normally I am one of those self-starters however, so I tend to be the one responding to solo emotes. 

Or if I'm bored or waiting for a roulette/raid party, I'll stand in the Quicksand and creep on other people's RP. In that case I pretend to be a lamp, and emote lamp things.

Pretty much exactly this.

RE: DYD: Solo Emotes? - Elena - 09-29-2015

I kinda do this if I'm hoping someone will notice them, and come up to me to say hi, start something up, or just emote back!

RE: DYD: Solo Emotes? - SicketySix - 09-29-2015

I literally have no idea where all you "solo emote" people are.

I visit the Quicksand hourly looking for solo emotes to initiate some rp with and never see any. Like at all.

RE: DYD: Solo Emotes? - kamikrazy - 10-05-2015

Honestly, it depends on how the person who does this goes about it. If they create opportunities for interaction, I'm really cool with this method of initiating. However if they are just sitting there in a corner /sighing or playing with their food or something and the only way for me to approach them seems like something my character just wouldn't do, then I get kind of annoyed.

Like the more assertive methods, this more passive method to attract RP is still a method to attract RP. You can't just literally sit there emoting how your character is reading quietly in a corner or just staring at others and expect people to RP with you. Make an opportunity for someone else to take advantage of.

Things like accidentally ordering 2 drinks, or having more boxes to carry than you have hands, or other situations for other people to jump into. Standing there just makes you look very lazy, like you don't want to put forth the effort to get RP, but you want all of the payoff when someone else goes out of there way for you.

RE: DYD: Solo Emotes? - Vyce - 10-05-2015

I've discovered the best way to start an RP of Thoreaux is to slam (not actually slam, but its heavy as fuck) his tome down on the bar and open it up to something random (actual example: "an arcanist might recognize the diagrams as scrying formulae") and when someone either stares at him or, twelve forbid, reads over his shoulder,

"There a problem?" and then I hope there isn't a problem because I oocly detest bar fights BUT I WILL LAY THE SMACKDOWN.