Hydaelyn Role-Players
South Sea Island Lalafell - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: South Sea Island Lalafell (/showthread.php?tid=13808)

South Sea Island Lalafell - Rennaix - 10-08-2015

I've read that the Plainsfolk Lalafell came from an island to the South, and that modern-day Eorzean Plainsfolk Lalafell are descendants of Lalafell who came from these islands. My FFXIV lore is pretty spotty, as I'm just getting back into the game after a long break, but I wanted to know if it was possible to make a Lalafell who came from these islands as opposed to being born in Eorzea? I thought it would be an interesting concept, but I couldn't dig up any details about the islands and I don't want to make a character who shatters lore. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks!

RE: South Sea Island Lalafell - Sounsyy - 10-08-2015

(10-08-2015, 11:33 AM)Rennaix Wrote: I wanted to know if it was possible to make a Lalafell who came from these islands as opposed to being born in Eorzea? I thought it would be an interesting concept, but I couldn't dig up any details about the islands and I don't want to make a character who shatters lore.

Absolutely possible! ^^ This compilation of background lore on the races has a bit more info, but essentially, the Southern Isles are an island chain that stretches across the Rhotano Sea from the Cieldaeles to Meracydia, the southern continent. The islands closer to the Cieldaeles and Vylbrand are more tropical, with some grasslands and desert islands the closer to Meracydia you get. Plainsfolk and Dunesfolk were said to come from these islands many years ago. They are still populated to this day, but most of the islands are unnamed.

We know of a few islands that make up this chain: the Cieldaeles (a smaller island chain that makes up the northern few Southern Isles), Locke's Lie, Turtleback Island, Hullbreaker Isle, and Swallowtail Roam. Unfortunately, the only populated of these specifically named islands is the Cieldaeles. Locke's Lie and Turtleback Island are Maelstrom outposts and Swallowtail Roam is part of Limsa Lominsan creation mythology - though its recently been discovered to be home to Allagan technology. Hullbreaker Isle is the final resting place of the famous Dreadpirate King Rycharde Mistbeard's flagship, the Haar. Which rules out most known islands, but saying your character is from the Cieldaeles or one of the Southern Isles is still viable.

The Palm In Your Hand Wrote:It appears the sago palms that Lalafellin tycoon Gegejuru planted five summers ago in Bloodshore to remind him of his summer home in the Cieldalaes are not only pleasant to look upon, but can also be quite delicious...or at least according to one of my new chefs who is also from the islands.

The Cieldaeles To See Combat Wrote:The exercises are set to be held upon Turtleback Island and Locke's Lie—two uninhabited isles belonging to the Cieldalaes. Even as I put quill to parchment, hordes of fell beasts are being transported to the two locations in order to produce actual combat conditions. As a matter of precaution, civilian access to the entire archipelago is forbidden until further notice.

Mammoth and Master Wrote:Not long ago, Mathistien of the Cloven Hoof and his traveling grotesquery was one of the realm's most popular exhibitions. People would flock from all around the countryside to see such spectacles as the two-headed nannygoat, the hairless phurble, and the show's main attraction—the colossal Tarbh Uisge. However, it was not until after the giant creature broke loose from its fetters and trampled through Limsa Lominsa, starting a fire that destroyed hundreds of buildings and killed countless innocent citizens, including two high-ranking thalassocratic officials, that it was revealed that Mathistien was actually an assassin for the Zer'maat Five. Needless to say, the mummer was promptly arrested and exiled to a lonely island prison in the Cieldalaes, where he has remained in solitude for the past ten years... or so we thought, for lately there have been rumors that the assassin has fled his island prison and is not only back on Vylbrand, but has brought with him his loyal pet, Tarbh Uisge. Azeyma's Shields is certain that this is the work of the Zer'maat Five, and will stop at nothing to recapture this dangerous criminal and bring him back to justice.

These quotes can all be found in the above link but in particular may hold some interest for you:
1.0 Character Creation Wrote:A wee people sporting short, rotund bodies, the Lalafell appear as no more than children to the eyes of most. Many of these nimble folk hail from the islands of the southern seas, where they practice a simple agricultural lifestyle. It was not until the opening of maritime trade routes that the gradual migration of Lalafell to Eorzea began. Now one of the most established races in the realm, Lalafell can be found in great numbers in nearly every city. Though Lalafellin culture places great emphasis on blood relations, individuals are known for getting along amicably with members of all races.

1.0 Character Creation Wrote:The flat landscapes of the Plainsfolk's home islands are dotted with the clan's traditional thatched huts, beneath which lie intricate networks of underground passageways. Their distinct hair coloration - a myriad of earthy and grassy tones - helps them blend in well with their environment, acting as an effective camouflage against would-be attackers. The long, pointy ears of the Plainsfolk are extremely sensitive, said to be able to detect the faintest scampering of the prairie's various fauna.

They are clever and opportunistic people, and crafty with their words. These traits have helped the Plainsfolk excel in the arena of business. The generally accepted view of Plainsfolk males is that they are a cheerful lot, with a weakness for festivals and celebrations. The generally accepted view of Plainsfolk females is that they are a vibrant lot with a penchant for excessive conversations.

Merewina Wrote:The Plainsfolk are descendants of the Lalafell tribes who lived on the massive expanses of grasslands covering a stretch of islands far to the south of Limsa Lominsa, across the Rhotano Sea. While their bodies are small, their ears are markedly large and developed- a trait thought to have been once necessary to locate food, as well as detect enemies in the wide expanse of the steppe.

One of the theories as to why many of them have green hair is that the color helped them blend into the tall grasses, making them more difficult to find by avian predators such as the giant rocs known to hunt the region.

Hope this helps! ^^ Lemme know if you have more questions!

RE: South Sea Island Lalafell - Rennaix - 10-08-2015

Thanks so much! That's incredibly helpful. Thanks again Big Grin