Hydaelyn Role-Players
Archives, Directory, and Wiki - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Archives, Directory, and Wiki (/showthread.php?tid=1385)

Archives, Directory, and Wiki - Kylin - 08-25-2012

As we move closer to the launch of A Realm Reborn, the site will undergo several more tweaks and modifications. Among these include the much needed cleanup of the Archives and Directory forum sections.

Archives:

This forum section will likely be entirely purged. I will be adding new coding to this section that will setup the topic title as a direct link to one's wiki profile. Thus, all character profiles will be centralized entirely on the wiki database and the forum section will simply act as a table of contents to that. If you have any trouble utilizing the wiki to create your character's page, feel free to contact me in game or via PM. I completely understand that wikis can be somewhat intimidating and hard to understand for first-time users.

Please backup any relevant info you have posted in the Archives section prior to the purge/overhaul. You are also encouraged to update your wiki profile prior to the launch of A Realm Reborn so that interested newcomers have an easier time with integration into possible pre-existing storylines/characters and such.

Directory:

This section will be purged of anyone who is perceived to be "inactive." I will begin tagging which ones I perceive as such within a couple weeks. Should I tag your topic with a response, please reply in some manner to indicate that you are still an active player of the game and RP community. Any "active" players will not have their topics purged, though you are encouraged to update your information before A Realm Reborn launches.

Wiki:

Everyone is encouraged to update their profiles but I also wish to seek help updating all of the lore related listings as well. Whether it includes text addition/modification, picture adding/editing, or addition of new lore related topics (there are still a LOT of red links for areas and bestiary), any help would be appreciated.

Characters on the wiki that are hardly filled out and are still nothing more than a stub will be deleted if they haven't been active in the past 3-6 months. An example of such a profile: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Armi_Duvignau">http://www.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/wiki/i ... i_Duvignau</a><!-- m -->

As a safety precaution, please remove the "stub" category from your wiki profile. As of now, all of these are tagged as "stubs:" <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Character_Stub">http://www.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/wiki/i ... acter_Stub</a><!-- m -->

Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to respond here as always Smile

Re: Archives, Directory, and Wiki - Kylin - 09-17-2012

Directory has been mostly purged of inactive individuals now. A new format and updated index have been added. Please take the time to update your details when you get a chance! The format was cleaned up a bit and some things were removed due to simply being redundant/unnecessary.

The directory can now be used to announce absences, seek feedback on characters, or seek out help for storylines/character roles. Please see the new sticky there for further details.

Please note that the index sticky is based on user forum names. It is highly advised that you request to have your user name changed to better match your in game name to avoid confusion and allow people to research your characters with more ease. This is not a requirement, but it will help YOU a lot if people can actually connect the poster to the characters in game easier. I will bring up the topic of username changes again closer to the launch of A Realm Reborn. Simply contact me with the request and it'll be done within 12 hours.

My next focus will be the Archives. ALL posts here will be purged. I will start slowly deleting the ones that are already on the wiki. But should anything not be transferred within a month or two, it will be perma-deleted. The Archives will then be set up as a direct link to the wiki's list of characters.

Re: Archives, Directory, and Wiki - Nahaara - 09-17-2012

Kylin Wrote:Directory has been mostly purged of inactive individuals now. A new format and updated index have been added. Please take the time to update your details when you get a chance! The format was cleaned up a bit and some things were removed due to simply being redundant/unnecessary.

The directory can now be used to announce absences, seek feedback on characters, or seek out help for storylines/character roles. Please see the new sticky there for further details.

Please note that the index sticky is based on user forum names. It is highly advised that you request to have your user name changed to better match your in game name to avoid confusion and allow people to research your characters with more ease. This is not a requirement, but it will help YOU a lot if people can actually connect the poster to the characters in game easier. I will bring up the topic of username changes again closer to the launch of A Realm Reborn. Simply contact me with the request and it'll be done within 12 hours.

My next focus will be the Archives. ALL posts here will be purged. I will start slowly deleting the ones that are already on the wiki. But should anything not be transferred within a month or two, it will be perma-deleted. The Archives will then be set up as a direct link to the wiki's list of characters.

You do realize that those "inactive" rp sheets were inactive because people don't need to update them all the time right? Plus, they take time to write so you've basically destroyed my 5 hours+ of work for mine, and many others. So thanks, thanks a WHOLE lot making our hard work a waste of time.

You do realize I posted a WEEK in advance in each thread that was believed to have inactive players, right? Plenty of notice was given and had I been told in advance, the thread would have been spared the deletion. I've gone to great lengths to publicize all of these cleanups and if people simply ignore those updates, there's not much I can do about it. Sorry for the inconvenience though, at any rate.

EDIT: As an added tidbit, the chosen purged ones weren't chosen because the sheets themselves were inactive. They were chosen because the /players/ who posted said sheet were believed to be inactive.

Kylin Wrote:You do realize I posted a WEEK in advance in each thread that was believed to have inactive players, right? Plenty of notice was given and had I been told in advance, the thread would have been spared the deletion. I've gone to great lengths to publicize all of these cleanups and if people simply ignore those updates, there's not much I can do about it. Sorry for the inconvenience though, at any rate.

"Sorry for the inconvenience" isn't good enough since you've basically deleted all the hard work people put into their character sheets, now thanks to your shortsightedness everyone who still uses their character sheet has to go and make it all over again just because you assumed that no one was using them anymore, which is the wrong thing to do on so many levels. And by the way, i'm not the only one who's pissed off about this. In short I and I can safely assume a large majority of the people who have character sheets that got removed even though they still use them want them put back the way they were, since they shouldn't have been removed in the first place.

Your "Character Sheet"is fine. You do realize that, right? Your wiki profile is untouched, as is whatever you have in the archives. The purge only went for "player sheets." That is the, "what kind of roleplayer are you" type things. Those aren't that hard to remake...

Kylin Wrote:Your "Character Sheet"is fine. You do realize that, right? Your wiki profile is untouched, as is whatever you have in the archives. The purge only went for "player sheets." That is the, "what kind of roleplayer are you" type things. Those aren't that hard to remake...

I'm talking about the ones that have character backstories, personality, etc, the ones that show the details of who people are roleplaying. The vast majority have vanished. Also, this isn't about me right now, because I wasn't the only one that had character sheets removed.

I'll say it again since it doesn't seem to be sinking in. I put up warnings long in advance. Look at the date of this thread. And I posted in YOUR thread a week before it was deleted. It said something along the lines of "if you're still active, speak up before this thread gets nuked." You didn't speak up. Until an hour after it all happened. Go figure. Ironically, you're responding back and forth to this thread rather quickly but yet couldn't respond to a post I made over a week ago asking if you were still active. /sighs.

Also, please quit speaking on behalf of "everyone else." By the looks of it, you've only just now digested this news and have had zero time to talk to "tons of other pissed off people."

Again, sorry for the inconvenience. But these particular profiles aren't exactly that hard to make, unlike wiki/archive profiles. They're just incredibly basic questions that can be redone in 5 minutes. I just redid mine in fact in about 10 minutes. No need to make so much drama over something so minor. I could understand if there was no notice. Or if it was a more detailed profile like you see on the wiki or in the Archives section.

Re: Archives, Directory, and Wiki - Gerik - 09-17-2012

Mmmm, yeah I agree with Kylin, the warning for this stuff was up for a long time now. Plus this questionnaire is like yes/no/single sentence answers.

Re: Archives, Directory, and Wiki - Eva - 09-17-2012

Also agree with Kylin. Only took me about 10 minutes. There's a super-easy-to-use template that Kylin made. Granted I C&P a lot of Kylin's answers because we RP similar, but still... this isn't really that big of a deal. And the old wiki's are still there and may be transferred over also.

Re: Archives, Directory, and Wiki - Reiry - 09-17-2012

Nahaara Wrote:
Kylin Wrote:Your "Character Sheet"is fine. You do realize that, right? Your wiki profile is untouched, as is whatever you have in the archives. The purge only went for "player sheets." That is the, "what kind of roleplayer are you" type things. Those aren't that hard to remake...

I'm talking about the ones that have character backstories, personality, etc, the ones that show the details of who people are roleplaying. The vast majority have vanished. Also, this isn't about me right now, because I wasn't the only one that had character sheets removed.

While she doesn't seem to understand what got deleted (At least I'm assuming Kylin didn't blow up any additional profiles than the ones discussed in Backstage.) she does bring up a decent point. Keeping around some of the older character profiles might not be a bad idea. Sure deleting empty profiles is fine but ones that look like some effort was put into them might be worth keeping. Some of the people who rage quit over the state of the game at launch might want to try 2.0 so might be nice to keep their stuff around.

Yeah, I'm only planning to delete old wiki/Archive section profiles that have completely been transferred to the new wiki. Anything else will be saved in an administrator section so returning players can request to access their old stuff if necessary. Character sheets are a completely different issue compared to Directory profiles, as I'm aware people put a lot of hard work into those Smile

Re: Archives, Directory, and Wiki - Aysun - 09-17-2012

Nahaara, chill, lol. Your character sheet/wiki is right here. I was doing transfers yesterday to the new wiki and did not transfer yours because we were asked to transfer people we know are active personally. You can do that yourself if you're still actively RPing on the other server, or I can do it for you if you prefer.

Yeah, I didn't see the announcement because admittedly I don't really browse this forum that much, so I didn't see it when it came up. My mistake. :oops:

Heh, it's okay. I think you thought I was talking about the wiki when I was actually talking about the Directory forum section. Whereas I thought you were talking about Directory posts and not the wiki. Glad it's at least straightened out now ^^;