Hydaelyn Role-Players
Ishgardian Fantastic Four inquiries. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Ishgardian Fantastic Four inquiries. (/showthread.php?tid=13857)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Ishgardian Fantastic Four inquiries. - Sounsyy - 06-20-2016

And I think today answered a few questions about House Dzemael! From the mog quest "A Monumental Task":

Handeloup Wrote:A rather more bureaucratic approach than I anticipated, but I would expect no less from a lord of House Dzemael. As skilled with his words as he is with a hammer and chisel. He has not told you? That cunning old fox is none other than Tarresson de Dzemael - formerly Count Tarresson de Dzemael. Although he has long since stepped down, he still does not scruple to intercede in various affairs.

We now have the name of the former Count de Dzemael.

Tarresson Wrote:Well then, let me apologize for the belated introduction. I am Tarresson de Dzemael, erstwhile count of my house. I am happy to say my son now enjoys that burden, leaving me to spend my days as I please. I try to stay busy, of course, and our project here has been a boon in that regard. However, do not think this some whim born of idleness. No, this is how I wish to live out my twilight years. As my true self. As a craftsman.

House Dzemael was built upon a foundation of mastery. Mastery of wood, steel, and stone. From a young age I strove to learn the techniques of my forefathers. Alas, once I became count, I was forced to trade my hammer and chisel for quill and parchment. A count's craft is to uphold the honor of his house, his tools his wit and his wiles. I was bound to the eternal struggle for glory and prestige, and as the months bled into years my days as an artisan faded into half-forgotten memory.

It was this single-minded state I raised my sons, teaching them naught of the joy of crafting. Perhaps by imparting my knowledge to others, I am in some small way trying to alleviate that regret...

Tarresson does mention "sons" in the quote above, but I can't help but wonder if the two sons de Dzemael we've been introduced to so far (Grinnaux and Archombadin) are half-brothers or uncle/nephew? I'm having difficulty discerning whether or not Tarresson is Wildwood or Duskwight. He lacks scars, tattoos, and ear cuffs which are specific to one clan or the other. At the same time, he lacks raccoon shadowing around his eyes, a trait exclusive to Wildwoods. I will have to investigate further, but its possible that Grinnaux could be Tarresson's son, while Archombadin could be the son of the current (still unnamed) Count, making Archombadin Tarresson's grandson?

[Image: eACKPZX.png]

Until we get more details, this is just theorycrafting. But just wanted to throw an update at this thread thanks to today's revelation.

RE: Ishgardian Fantastic Four inquiries. - Shoshopu - 06-20-2016

(06-20-2016, 01:55 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Tarresson does mention "sons" in the quote above, but I can't help but wonder if the two sons de Dzemael we've been introduced to so far (Grinnaux and Archombadin) are half-brothers or uncle/nephew? I'm having difficulty discerning whether or not Tarresson is Wildwood or Duskwight. He lacks scars, tattoos, and ear cuffs which are specific to one clan or the other. At the same time, he lacks raccoon shadowing around his eyes, a trait exclusive to Wildwoods. I will have to investigate further, but its possible that Grinnaux could be Tarresson's son, while Archombadin could be the son of the current (still unnamed) Count, making Archombadin Tarresson's grandson?

[Image: eACKPZX.png]

Until we get more details, this is just theorycrafting. But just wanted to throw an update at this thread thanks to today's revelation.

I'm having a hard time matching his skin tone as a Duskwight. At least in that picture, he's very warm-colored. Even the peachy skin tones for Duskwights are too cool-colored, a bit grayish. You're right about the shadows around the eyes, though, never noticed it before.
[Image: la49rKj.gif]
I picked straight white and the palest skin colors for both Duskwight and Wildwood for this gif to compare the differences. There's actually a difference in the beard texture, interestingly enough!
Also, sorry for the text overlay, I was doing something ingame so I had to use the benchmark, which doesn't let you hide the UI. At least you can tell which is which by the text lol

Considering his skin color and the brighter roots of the beard, I'm leaning towards Wildwood, but that bothers me a little because I've always had this impression of Dzemael being a predominantly Duskwight family.

RE: Ishgardian Fantastic Four inquiries. - Sounsyy - 06-20-2016

(06-20-2016, 08:59 PM)Shoshopu Wrote: Considering his skin color and the brighter roots of the beard, I'm leaning towards Wildwood, but that bothers me a little because I've always had this impression of Dzemael being a predominantly Duskwight family.

Thanks Shoshopu! I was also leaning towards Wildwood. His skin doesn't have that distinctive desaturized quality too it that even most Wildwood-looking skin tones lack. Though he seems to lack the distinctive racooning about the eyes, given the side by side comparison in the character creator it looks like on the older facial model its a little harder to tell and it could be hashed up to lighting. But the beard texture (which I'd never noticed before) seals the deal for me.

Former Count Tarresson de Dzemael appears to be Wildwood.

I think that the Dzemael = Duskwight stems largely from fanon that's been in place since 1.0 times. Until Heavensward we'd never even seen a member of the Dzemael family. Now we've seen three... and two distant relatives of the house as well. Of the known Dzemael descendants, it's still technically a Duskwight majority.

Tarresson (Wildwood Count)
Archombadin (Wildwood trueborn son)
Grinnaux (Duskwight trueborn son)
Jandelaine (Duskwight descendant not trueborn)
Guilefresne (Duskwight descendant not trueborn)

What familial role a Baron has in Ishgardian hierarchy I've no idea, but as far as clans go he's sort of useless to cite at this time as Thieveneaux has yet to appear physically in game. In any case, very clearly there's been some Wildwood/Duskwight mixing in the Dzemael household. Who done it, who knows.

RE: Ishgardian Fantastic Four inquiries. - Valence - 06-21-2016

Maybe he is a half-breed (gasp!)...

Anyway, we don't really know from where Wildwoods and Duskwights originate, correct? Who came first? Could the first elezens living in Dravania be descended from elezens coming from the Shroud? Or be totally unrelated? Can Ishgardians even be classified into the usual Gelmorran denomination (Wildwood and Duskwight)?

RE: Ishgardian Fantastic Four inquiries. - Kellach Woods - 06-23-2016

Isn't the distinction between Wildwood and Duskwight mostly centered around the shroud/Gridania? At least that's how I interpreted the blurbs specific to the races at character creation.

RE: Ishgardian Fantastic Four inquiries. - Shoshopu - 06-24-2016

(06-23-2016, 07:40 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Isn't the distinction between Wildwood and Duskwight mostly centered around the shroud/Gridania? At least that's how I interpreted the blurbs specific to the races at character creation.

There are actually biological differences between the two due to centuries of living in drastically different environments, unless you mean that those biological differences mostly occurred in that geographic location, and Elezen elsewhere are just "Elezen"?

I don't think that's the case though, because Wildwood Elezen are said to have "helped found" Ishgard, so I'd say even by then the distinction already existed. I feel like Wildwoods might be less racist towards Duskwights in Ishgard, but on the other hand, the Duskwights = "ruffians and petty thieves who are poor due to their own bad decisions" stereotype would thrive in a city where there's such a big divide between the rich and the poor...

There's probably some more solid lore for this but I don't know where, off the top of my head. Probably somewhere in Sounsyy's lore posts on the races.