Hydaelyn Role-Players
How can I hold all these roleplayer crushes? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How can I hold all these roleplayer crushes? (/showthread.php?tid=13894)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

How can I hold all these roleplayer crushes? - Meishali - 10-15-2015

Hello! Has this thread been made before? That's what I always ask myself when I make threads. It is very scary.

Today I'd like to talk about what I named "roleplayer crush" because I'm really bad with words.

Let's put it like this, there's a roleplayer you've 'seen'. You don't know them personally, maybe it was a post in the RPC, maybe it was a wiki you ran across, maybe it was a character you've actually seen RPing in the open-world/in the city while being semi-afk in your terrible, rainbow-colored ilvl 14 outfit (because you really need to level that class for the cross-class skills). 

But you feel it. You want to RP with this character. The quality of the writing, the top-notch character interactions provided, and gods! These hooks! There is so many things to work with! There are just SO many things you could do with this character, plot-wise. But they have no connection thread on the RPC, are hard to find in general, and you don't have them on your FL, so seeing them log in/off is kinda hard.

When I want to meet new people, I often notice more random players than before. I run into them often, off and in game, though I can not always approach them because 1) I'm busy, 2) they're afk, 3) I don't feel like I have enough RP tools for a proper walk-up, even if it's says they allow it, as stated in their search information.
And above all, I feel like a creep. If I do manage to RP with them (after a bunch of awkward "would you like to RP?!"), I don't roll in them right away saying things like "HEY I'VE SEEN YOU AROUND GRIDANIA AND HAVE BEEN WANTING TO RP WITH YOU FOR A WHILE COS YOU LOOK COOL" because I don't want to sound like the biggest, most uncool nerd of the planet, even if it might be a little flattering on their end.

But the funny thing is that it's often very close to what happens IRL, you can have a wingman, it can be a friend of a friend who introduced you to them, etc. In my case, I stay really quiet I'd say a good 60% of the time, at least until I'm certain of how to approach new players for RP.

Keep in mind: I'm not talking about being romantically involved with/interested in people behind our pretendymenz, I'm talking about seeking OOC friendship and new plots with new folks with characters you find too interesting for your own good.
edit: bolded and reddened incase it's not obvious enough

edit2: I personally don't need advice as I approach people myself, this is not a 'help meishali' thread I can assure you Cactuar

Tl;dr: cool people, and how to approach them

- Did you have any of these "roleplayer crushes"? y/n, is it just me, being a creepy nugget?
- How do you handle these? Do you just send an aggressive PM/tell with things like "you, me, RP, 8PM EST"? 
- Stories to share? Bonus points for embarrassing things.
- Did senpai notice you, when you started emoting at them very very loudly?
- Just how excited do you get when plotting with these new people, and realize they love your ideas and bring even more material on the table?
- Did like, once, this person was actually pretty awful and you regretted everything? Happened to me more than I'd like to admit, BUT, I still keep on pushing.

The power of RP. I'm feeling it.

Show Content

RE: How can I hold all these roleplayer crushes? - Warren Castille - 10-15-2015

I made a thread similar to this asking if there was anyone they wanted to RP with but never got the chance to. It worked okay until it became circle-jerking of "My besties are my besties and they're the best! *kawaii face*" and derailed into people sucking each other off.

I've got my share of RP crushes, but it's usually the walled-off nature of my character that prevents me from interacting with a lot of folks and I'm notoriously bad at alting.

RE: How can I hold all these roleplayer crushes? - Meishali - 10-15-2015

(10-15-2015, 12:09 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I made a thread similar to this asking if there was anyone they wanted to RP with but never got the chance to. It worked okay until it became circle-jerking of "My besties are my besties and they're the best! *kawaii face*" and derailed into people sucking each other off.

I've got my share of RP crushes, but it's usually the walled-off nature of my character that prevents me from interacting with a lot of folks and I'm notoriously bad at alting.

I hope this thread doesn't derail, then. I always give solid questions so people keep in mind the focus of my threads.Cactuar

I'm an alt juggler kind of roleplayer myself, I think I couldn't deal with having only one character that isn't flexible when it comes to meeting other characters. Since I have more than one characters, it gives me more than one RP route, and it gives me even more goodies plot potential...And even more RP crushes. Save me from my misery.

When you say that tho, it means you've tried RPing with them?

RE: How can I hold all these roleplayer crushes? - No Longer Exists - 10-15-2015

I have to agree with Warren, as our characters are born of the same stoic cloth (oddly enough). Doc meets people constantly, even when he stands there with his arms crossed looking dourly into the distance as if contemplating the sheer crushing infinity of the universe.....but at the same time, I see folks run by that I want to go "HEY! NEAT PERSON! SPEAK TO THE GIANT GLOWERING ROE HERE."

It's nice though, I use it to add depth to Oak's design. Does he notice senpai? Is he drawn to senpai for whatever reasons? Why? Would he step out of his comfort zone of quiet introspection to say something to them?

Usually the answer to that last question is No, but if the opportunity presented itself later....say.....when he found the character injured, then he would step up, do his medical duty, and make a new friend maybe.

-Hatter

RE: How can I hold all these roleplayer crushes? - SicketySix - 10-15-2015

Just let me know if I should start naming them.....
We might be here awhile.

RE: How can I hold all these roleplayer crushes? - Hammersmith - 10-15-2015

Spotting someone who has their RP game on point in a crowd is like spotting a leopard printed Unicorn.  Man does it get your attention when it happens.

I can fabricate an excuse to have my char crash into nearly any RP? But ultimately, however cool a char might be, if they arn't running on somewhat similar social structures and rules of engagement at the time, that might not work out.

The downside is someone like that also often has a tonne of attention already directed in their general direction.  Getting Sempai's attention is -hard-.

So I like to fire testing shots first before crashing through walls.  Find the edges of the social circle this strange mythical beast is running in and feel out the borders, see who they've surrounded themself with.  Sometimes there's -more unicorns- in that crowd because quality attracts, to some degree (not always) quality.

And man, that's tough. But it works! I've made decent amounts of contacts with Cool Peoples this way.

It's way easier to just pine from afar but, most of the time, when I've had the eventual motivation to try it and crawl out of my Fortress of Turtletude, it turns out good!  I've only had it turn into a shit-can once or twice and it was -very easy to drop them like a rock-.

RE: How can I hold all these roleplayer crushes? - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-15-2015

(10-15-2015, 11:57 AM)Meishali Wrote: - Did you have any of these "roleplayer crushes"? y/n, is it just me, being a creepy nugget?

By that definitions, I've got a few.

(10-15-2015, 11:57 AM)Meishali Wrote: - How do you handle these? Do you just send an aggressive PM/tell with things like "you, me, RP, 8PM EST"?

Depends on the other person. I get this irrational fear that I'm somehow interrupting people a lot of the time, if I just blindly send them a tell with nothing to provoke it. Sometimes sending a PM on RPC is a little easier, because they can just ignore it/read it later.

Other times, I have sent the aggressive tell/PM/message and it's worked really well! (And sometimes not).

(10-15-2015, 11:57 AM)Meishali Wrote: - Stories to share? Bonus points for embarrassing things.

Ask Virella. It took months before we started actually RPing, but we spammed eachother in tells at least once a week/month with "WE NEED TO RP SOMETIME. HOW/WHEN?!?!". Then I guess the stars aligned or something.

(10-15-2015, 11:57 AM)Meishali Wrote: - Did senpai notice you, when you started emoting at them very very loudly?

Franz usually ends up being the "sempai" because he's older. Sometimes all it takes is a weird stare or some mumbling, though. (Assuming the chat scroll isn't killing people).

(10-15-2015, 11:57 AM)Meishali Wrote: - Just how excited do you get when plotting with these new people, and realize they love your ideas and bring even more material on the table?

VERY! I actually hate writing/planning my own stories/plots/arcs/whatevers. If I can be a side-character in someone else's story and maybe build off it a little here and there, I'm usually happy. Do I still have some sort of "main story" for my character[s]? Yeah, but it doesn't account to much of what happens in RP.

(10-15-2015, 11:57 AM)Meishali Wrote: - Did like, once, this person was actually pretty awful and you regretted everything? Happened to me more than I'd like to admit, BUT, I still keep on pushing.

It happens. There have been times where I've been completely uninterested in someone's character concept, character, or the story they wanted to tell. If I'm able to find an IC out, I'll try to take it. Depending on how much trust/respect I have for the other person though, I may go along with it, or I might bring it up as an issue OOCly. If I think the other person would accept discussion on their character as a way to improve, then I feel like I'm doing a decent job. And if they don't? Then we probably weren't going to work out well in the long run.

RE: How can I hold all these roleplayer crushes? - Virella - 10-15-2015

- Did you have any of these "roleplayer crushes"? y/n, is it just me, being a creepy nugget?
Had a few times hearing myself going "damn I should find this person for roleplay".

- How do you handle these? Do you just send an aggressive PM/tell with things like "you, me, RP, 8PM EST"?
I just give them a PM honestly, and just ask they are busy, if not just simply ask them if they are up for roleplay someday.
That said if I do not roleplay with that person about instantly, I will neglect said roleplay for weeks on end, it not months. I simply forget about it. I'm a bad and I should be ashamed of myself.

Uuh, met a couple of cool people on the RPC, including my Domri senpai. In truth, most people who've contacted on the RPC for roleplay have been unbelievably awesome, and count some of them amongst my friends now. Shame most people are all from the US, damn you for screwing up my sleeping pattern. Embarrassing things tho? I'm afraid I have to disappoint you there!

Senpai noticed me to the point her char knocked up mine, they emoted very hard and very lewdly. Joking aside, yeah, I just fetch their attention instantly for roleplay, else I simply won't do it in the coming weeks. (HONESTLY IF I PROMISED U ROLEPLAY I MOST LIKELY FORGOT ABOUT IT)

- Just how excited do you get when plotting with these new people, and realize they love your ideas and bring even more material on the table?
In truth, I just let things roll as they go. Virella is arguably harder due to being to uptight Ishgardian she is, so I specificly seek out other Ishgardians for her roleplay; For Ave? Anything goes. Throw me your roleplay at her, and I will gobble it up.

As for plots and what not, I tend to be a bit more picky. First bit of roleplay will always be a matter of testing the waters before I start to plot with them. I first want to make sure the player and I are on a same line of lore, standards ect before I start plotting with them. And some characters I simply can't really plot well with a character's current story. It is all just wait and see for me really.

- Did like, once, this person was actually pretty awful and you regretted everything? Happened to me more than I'd like to admit, BUT, I still keep on pushing.
Oh yeah, I've met a few bad apples. Thankfully it hasn't been that bad on FFXIV, and I've managed to dodge a bullet once. I get really highly irritated by people being too overly 'thirsty' on an OOC level, some people confuse my characters for myself, but that is how bad as it has gotten for me.

EDIT:

(10-15-2015, 12:22 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(10-15-2015, 11:57 AM)Meishali Wrote: - Stories to share? Bonus points for embarrassing things.

Ask Virella. It took months before we started actually RPing, but we spammed eachother in tells at least once a week/month with "WE NEED TO RP SOMETIME. HOW/WHEN?!?!". Then I guess the stars aligned or something.

Oh yeah, that happened as well! BUT WE DID IT, AFTER MANY MONTHS. And now Franz and Ave are the best of frenemies!

RE: How can I hold all these roleplayer crushes? - Diskwrite - 10-15-2015

If you didn't have a means to get acquainted with them via an LS, FC, mutual friend, or something like that... I'd suggest just being polite and straightforward. Be like, "Hey, I've seen you around, and your character/writing/etc. seems really interesting. Would you be interested in RPing with me sometime?" And then link them your character wiki or something like that- if they're interested- to give them an opportunity to feel things out.

Obviously some folks will be more amenable to it than others, but I think this kind of approach is a good general policy to follow.

Just remember that sometimes, if this sort of introduction doesn't work, sometimes it's just that the RPer in question has too much going on already. @_@ Which... is a situation I've gotten myself into more than once, hah...

RE: How can I hold all these roleplayer crushes? - Warren Castille - 10-15-2015

I sometimes try. The actually-largest issue is that I have finite time to do all my FFXIVing. This means all of my PVE and RP and not-being-alseep-or-at-work time is crunched down to a few hours broken up by dinner. It's a rough sell to tell people "Sure, I'd love to RP with you. I'm available between 5:00PM and 6:00PM and then again from about 7:30PM to about 9:00PM unless something else comes up, and also some nights I'm just so worn out I only want to idle and not think, and also Rock Band just came out, and..."

I'm super horrible at making time for people, so I do my best to not get hopes up so I don't dash them! I'd love to do more RP, I just can never find an in for it or the time for it.

RE: How can I hold all these roleplayer crushes? - Diskwrite - 10-15-2015

(10-15-2015, 12:16 PM)Meishali Wrote:
(10-15-2015, 12:09 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I made a thread similar to this asking if there was anyone they wanted to RP with but never got the chance to. It worked okay until it became circle-jerking of "My besties are my besties and they're the best! *kawaii face*" and derailed into people sucking each other off.

I hope this thread doesn't derail, then. I always give solid questions so people keep in mind the focus of my threads.Cactuar

I'm an alt juggler kind of roleplayer myself, I think I couldn't deal with having only one character that isn't flexible when it comes to meeting other characters. Since I have more than one characters, it gives me more than one RP route, and it gives me even more goodies plot potential...And even more RP crushes. Save me from my misery.

This isn't a problem Ojene's had so much as her WoW incarnation did- she was so closed from people, sometimes it was hard to make new RP connections. Folks would try to interact with her! But more often than not, she'd push them away with an alienating aura. Espeeeecially if she was on the job.

I've never been good at keeping up with alts, so... this meant my RP opportunities were a bit on the limited side.

RE: How can I hold all these roleplayer crushes? - Martiallais - 10-15-2015

(10-15-2015, 11:57 AM)Meishali Wrote: Keep in mind: I'm not talking about being romantically involved with/interested in people behind our pretendymenz, I'm talking about seeking OOC friendship and new plots with new folks with characters you find too interesting for your own good.

Tl;dr: cool people, and how to approach them

Oh man. OH. MAN.

There are SO MANY PEOPLE I see around here or elsewhere (or have stalked their wiki pages) that I'd like to RP with, so you are not alone in your (potentially) creepy nugget-ness. I'm pretty bad myself at reaching out because usually I see these folks and the first thought I have is 'well they're over there with all their cool friends and contacts they probably don't want me noob'ing up the place'. But a few times it's worked out well so!

-The way I go about it is...I usually try to see what they have going on (some folks keep a 'currently' kind of thing on their wiki or hooks) and how it might mesh with one of my characters (yay alts!). I'm pretty notorious for running up or waving or generally being the big dork ingame sending a whisper that says "OMG I KNOW YOUR NAME FROM x-y-z place". Most of the time the response has been good and conversation has rolled on from there.

-While my PMs aren't that aggressive haha it's usually something like 'Hey, wanna go run this or RP or can I bounce a story idea/arc/whatever off of you?'

-Storytime! I actually got to RP with Delial after she saved my lame ass out in the Shroud. She healed me while I was on one of my alts then I saw her name again on the forums and was like OMG YOU. And then I proceeded to throw crazy RP stuff at her which ended up with her being dragged into a nice lil story arc of mine then an event of hers. It was great fun. Big Grin

-I am usually super excited to share story stuff even if I'm not the 'main' character (which honestly I tend to prefer) focus or whatnot. I love playing sounding board to others because bouncing ideas around tends to bring more ideas and more excitement and it's one big loop of goodtimes more often than not.

-I can't say I've had any overly bad experiences in FFXIV regarding this but definitely in other games. I'm getting better about posting in 'making connections' threads for folks when I can now that a lot of leveling and other story stuff has calmed down. The downside is just, as has been mentioned, time and schedules and making things work that way. Speaking of, this thread reminds me of one I had been meaning to post in!

RE: How can I hold all these roleplayer crushes? - SessionZero - 10-15-2015

For the most part I'm content with my little group of friends that I RP with on a regular basis.

That said, there is one person I have wanted to RP with for like, ever now, and we always seem to miss each other.

Yvelont Navarre, please notice me senpai.

As for interesting-looking people I happen to spot by the wayside, if I'm in an RP mood I'll saunter up and have my character say something ridiculous because he's a ridiculous little shit sometimes and wants to talk with everyone, but since I play this game mostly for PvE and have little time as it is to RP with anyone outside of the aforementioned little group of friends, this is a rarity.

And I'm okay with that.

(That said, if you see Rukon or Reilan out and about being derps, don't be afraid to come say hi. Reilan might give you shade but Rukon will be ecstatic that someone new is talking to him)

RE: How can I hold all these roleplayer crushes? - Smagon - 10-15-2015

I feel you on the wingman thing. My characters are all business and will not go out into public for "fun", usually needing a social friend to drag them there.

RE: How can I hold all these roleplayer crushes? - Meishali - 10-15-2015

(10-15-2015, 12:31 PM)Diskwrite Wrote:
(10-15-2015, 12:16 PM)Meishali Wrote:

This isn't a problem Ojene's had so much as her WoW incarnation did- she was so closed from people, sometimes it was hard to make new RP connections. Folks would try to interact with her! But more often than not, she'd push them away with an alienating aura. Espeeeecially if she was on the job.

I've never been good at keeping up with alts, so... this meant my RP opportunities were a bit on the limited side.

This is not quite the thread to discuss this (and I might make one sooner or later), but I personally separate "characters" and "RP characters". While I do make the characters I want to make for RP, I always keep in mind that RP is collaborative writing--and it's hard to collaborate if your character pushes everything and everyone away. I would never get a closed character as my main for this specific reason, or if I do, I usually outbalance it with a "carrot" that makes them come out of their tower, should my RP partners find it!

Well, most people state it, but it's true. Sending a civilized message and asking for RP usually works, as simple as that. And it's actually quite gr8. Cactuar